users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Red Mage » Gear Question: +Skill vs. +Stats
Gear Question: +Skill vs. +Stats
 Cerberus.Caylene
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
By Cerberus.Caylene 2011-07-19 07:52:13
Link | Quote | Reply

My question relates to grips specifically, as I've been reading through the whm/blm/rdm forums and keep seeing people say to use something like a Reign Grip instead of a Curatio Grip (+MND instead of +Healing Skill).

Is it better to go with the +Stat grip over the +Skill grip? Is this across the board, or only if that skill is capped?

My enhancing magic is capped- is it pointless to use a +enhancing skill grip?

I've been hunting down the math for each spell (the spells that have them anyway)- it's a little time consuming but since I'm trying to optimize everything anyway, I feel like the extra work is worth it.

TIA for advice.
By seiri 2011-07-19 07:58:44
Link | Quote | Reply

It all depends on the spell. Reign grip beats curatio grip simply because mnd is more potent than healing skill for cure numbers. You would still use curatio for a cursna macro - assuming you use one for doom.

For enhancing spells, phalanx, barspells, en-spells, etc, are all directly increased by skill tiers. Dark magic spells like bio, aspir and drain are the same. Thus, stacking skill in slots where that is an option, is the ideal route.
 Ifrit.Jynxy
Server: Ifrit
user: Jynxy
By Ifrit.Jynxy 2011-07-19 08:00:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Well curing wise i would imagine it's because the mind actually boosts more than the minor boost to healing magic. Easiest way would be a cure calculator.

In regards to enhancing, it's depending on your skill/gear. Things are generally tiered. Ie. Phalanx.

THere's also calculator's for this, if you're not breaking into the next tier, it's not really useful.

I guess the best thing would just be to plug stuff into a calculator and see what your results are because everybody's situations are different especially when it comes to skills which can be changed by gear/merits etc.

Hope this helps

Edit: Beaten :(
 Ifrit.Jynxy
Server: Ifrit
user: Jynxy
By Ifrit.Jynxy 2011-07-19 08:07:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh, and instead of hunting down the math google ffxi calculator.

Someone suggested it on here to me when i was asking about X-Hit setups and it is amazing. it does magic, melee and a bit more.

Try it out ^^

Saves ya doing math
 Cerberus.Caylene
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Caylene 2011-07-19 08:47:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Great!! Thanks guys!
 Siren.Mithradee
Server: Siren
user: Mithradee
By Siren.Mithradee 2011-07-26 10:28:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok for a little more info on curing and what not. At capped skill on rdm you need 10 skill per 1 hp healed. To gain 1 hp healed in mnd if you are at 100 lets say and 50 Vit (random Numbers) you need roughly 5 mnd for cure 4. Lower tier cures take a couple more mnd if I remember correctly. Some one will correct me I am sure if wrong.

Drain and Aspir are spells you should not only be stacking skill like Seiri said but also stacking MACC. The more the better.

http://members.shaw.ca/pizza_steve/cure/Cure_Calculator.html is what Jynxy was talking about.

And remember adding 1 mnd is useless for curing unless you are guaranteed to gain a hp healed so figure out what you actually need then shoot for it.

Also work on potency gear it is much better then mnd in terms of returns for your rdm.