2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » How to make ffxi look HD
How to make ffxi look HD
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
By Fodder 2011-07-05 08:36:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Edit: missed Raist's post so it's already been answered.

Shiva.Msthief said:
... game screen freezing up ... flipping through my logs really fast ... running at least two instances...

Running multiple instance = XI randomly freezes when you expand the log window/flip through /s,/t,/p etc. It's always been this way. Consider the logger Windower plugin and Notepad++ as an alternative if you really need to review your chat window regularly while dual boxing.
By Biglen 2011-07-05 10:10:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Or get a xbox put it on HD . . . . .

lol sorry had too
 Bismarck.Raistlinratt
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Raistlinratt 2011-07-05 10:13:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Biglen said:
Or get a xbox put it on HD . . . . .

lol sorry had too

Atleast no one needs to post a troll picture, you were nice enough to have it as your avatar.
By Biglen 2011-07-05 11:16:20
Link | Quote | Reply

lmao U mad?

Just kidding all is well I look good right?
 Bahamut.Alpaka
Server: Bahamut
user: MGreer
By Bahamut.Alpaka 2011-07-05 11:43:44
Link | Quote | Reply

A couple questions after reading everything, I'm currently @ 1920x1080 but when I go into the Launcher GUI it wont let me select 3840x2160 :x Also drawdistance 25.0 isn't doing anything for me
 Shiva.Francisco
Server: Shiva
user: Francisco
By Shiva.Francisco 2011-07-05 11:46:04
Link | Quote | Reply

You can manually input 3840x2160... it just won't be in the drop down menu.

Usually setting Drawdistance over 5 has little or no effect.
 Carbuncle.Flionheart
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Flionheart 2011-07-05 11:47:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Francisco said:

wat
By MGreer 2011-07-05 11:48:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Rasalgethi said:
And if you want the best, you should use Draw Distance (With Windower)
And setup it @ distance 20

2 Screenshots both on exact same place.

-without Draw Distance:

-With Draw Distance setup @ 20:

Showed a huge difference :x, how would I go about doing it manually, what file do I edit?
 Carbuncle.Flionheart
By Carbuncle.Flionheart 2011-07-05 11:51:06
Link | Quote | Reply

MGreer said:
Carbuncle.Rasalgethi said:
And if you want the best, you should use Draw Distance (With Windower)
And setup it @ distance 20

2 Screenshots both on exact same place.

-without Draw Distance:

-With Draw Distance setup @ 20:

Showed a huge difference :x, how would I go about doing it manually, what file do I edit?

Go to your windower scripts folder, find init.txt

edit it

Underneath all the load commands type

drawdistance set 20.0

Then save it. This way it will automatically set it when you go into game.
 Bahamut.Alpaka
user: MGreer
By Bahamut.Alpaka 2011-07-05 12:04:29
Link | Quote | Reply

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e62/R3nO11/ffxi_20110705_115744.png I just built a new PC and it seems like my game should look better than this: ; ;
 Shiva.Francisco
By Shiva.Francisco 2011-07-05 12:12:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Flionheart said:
Shiva.Francisco said:

wat

Drawdistance 5 makes a huge difference, anything over that makes either very minor or no difference.
[+]
 Shiva.Francisco
By Shiva.Francisco 2011-07-05 12:14:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Alpaka said:
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e62/R3nO11/ffxi_20110705_115744.png I just built a new PC and it seems like my game should look better than this: ; ;

Looks pretty good to me. The only "ugly" thing in the picture is the ground you're standing on, but that's just a bad texture on SE's part.
 Carbuncle.Flionheart
By Carbuncle.Flionheart 2011-07-05 12:15:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Francisco said:
Shiva.Francisco said:

wat

Drawdistance 5 makes a huge difference, anything over that makes either very minor or no difference.

Lol'd
 Shiva.Francisco
By Shiva.Francisco 2011-07-05 12:22:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Francisco said:
Shiva.Francisco said:

wat

Lol'd

Some difference, but not much...
[+]
 Leviathan.Angelskiss
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Angelskiss 2011-07-05 13:27:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I broke mine D:

Downloaded Darkshade's user interface for the updated graphics, resized my background and such and ended up with this..
* now mind you I play on a laptop hooked into my TV so I maximize my game to the "fullscreen" and all the font is compeltely stretched out and ridiculous to read.
this is if I play in a tiny square box mode

and if it matters : this is what I set the gui on :
 Leviathan.Angelskiss
By Leviathan.Angelskiss 2011-07-05 14:11:25
Link | Quote | Reply

~bump~ anyone know what I did wrong? =(
 Shiva.Francisco
By Shiva.Francisco 2011-07-05 14:31:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Angelskiss said:

Overlay resolution should typically be the size of your screen... it's the size of the "box" you play FFXI in.

Common ones for a HDTV are 1280 x 720 and 1920 x 1080 (depends on your TV really)...

If you take an overlay resolution of 1024x1024, it's basically going to take what FFXI should look like and crush it into a square box. If you don't want to play full screen, something like 1024 x 768 or 800x600 should work...

When you take a 1024x1024 image and make it full screen, it's basically just stretching the image to fit, which distorts the picture. If you ever took some Silly Putty to a comic strip as a kid and stretched it out, that analogy kind of works...
 Leviathan.Angelskiss
By Leviathan.Angelskiss 2011-07-05 14:34:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Francisco said:

Overlay resolution should typically be the size of your screen... it's the size of the "box" you play FFXI in.

Common ones for a HDTV are 1280 x 720 and 1920 x 1080 (depends on your TV really)...

If you take an overlay resolution of 1024x1024, it's basically going to take what FFXI should look like and crush it into a square box. If you don't want to play full screen, something like 1024 x 768 or 800x600 should work...

When you take a 1024x1024 image and make it full screen, it's basically just stretching the image to fit, which distorts the picture. If you ever took some Silly Putty to a comic strip as a kid and stretched it out, that analogy kind of works...
Thank you I will try that now- I didn't want the super tiny font (bad eyesight) :P
 Quetzalcoatl.Roark
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Roark 2011-07-05 14:35:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I broke mine D:

Downloaded Darkshade's user interface for the updated graphics, resized my background and such and ended up with this..
* now mind you I play on a laptop hooked into my TV so I maximize my game to the "fullscreen" and all the font is compeltely stretched out and ridiculous to read.
this is if I play in a tiny square box mode

and if it matters : this is what I set the gui on :

2 things i see

1. you have 1024x1024, not too sure if this is a problem but normally i see 4:3 ratios, not 1:1, try 1024x768 maybe (not sure if this is a problem tho)

2. your background resolution doesnt line up at all with your resolution. should be the same or double your resolution, either 1024x1024 or 2048x2048 with your current resolution or 1024x768 or 2048x1536 with the resolution i said earlier
 Leviathan.Angelskiss
By Leviathan.Angelskiss 2011-07-05 14:41:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Roark said:

1. you have 1024x1024, not too sure if this is a problem but normally i see 4:3 ratios, not 1:1, try 1024x768 maybe (not sure if this is a problem tho)

2. your background resolution doesnt line up at all with your resolution. should be the same or double your resolution, either 1024x1024 or 2048x2048 with your current resolution or 1024x768 or 2048x1536 with the resolution i said earlier
I did exactly what you said and it worked 100% I have the bigger font but its not squished <3 ty!
 Shiva.Darkshade
By Shiva.Darkshade 2011-07-05 16:18:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I use drawdistance 2.5 usually. I appreciate some of that "fog" look and not having all landscape rendered with the exact same color as stuff right next to me.
 Bahamut.Dannyl
user: dannyl
By Bahamut.Dannyl 2011-07-05 16:26:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Can someone explain to me why my graphics have that jagged-ness on some portions of text/graphics. I've mentioned this in previous help me threads with no real answer. I have a 1680 by 1050 resolution and doubling the background doesn't exactly make it go away. More info on my issue from here:

Windows 7 blurred text

I have a feeling it has something to do with Windows 7 as the top window bar still shows on windower mode as oppose to Win XP where I can move it and hide it. I feel Win 7 resizes the window beyond what it should be.
 Shiva.Francisco
By Shiva.Francisco 2011-07-05 16:36:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Can you post a pic of your game, possibly the full screen (including the top bar)?
 Quetzalcoatl.Roark
By Quetzalcoatl.Roark 2011-07-05 16:43:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dannyl said:
Can someone explain to me why my graphics have that jagged-ness on some portions of text/graphics. I've mentioned this in previous help me threads with no real answer. I have a 1680 by 1050 resolution and doubling the background doesn't exactly make it go away. More info on my issue from here:

Windows 7 blurred text

I have a feeling it has something to do with Windows 7 as the top window bar still shows on windower mode as oppose to Win XP where I can move it and hide it. I feel Win 7 resizes the window beyond what it should be.

you tried using 4:3 instead of widescreen proportions? i've never had a good experience with widescreen

other than that only thing i can think of is posting some screenshots
 Shiva.Francisco
By Shiva.Francisco 2011-07-05 16:53:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's a question:

Sometimes certain terrain objects don't render fully until your really close to them - for example, fauna in Meriphataud Mountains. This gives the odd appearance of plants "lighting up" as you get closer to them. At first I thought it was an issue with ambient lighting, but it seems to be more a texture/detail thing.

I have Mip Mapping set to 6, which I thought would prevent that...
 Fenrir.Vazerus
Server: Fenrir
user: Vazerus
By Fenrir.Vazerus 2011-07-05 17:10:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Somewhat related to this thread I guess:

I play with windower, windowed, then extended to fit the screen at my monitor's resolution. The problem is, since it has a bar up top, as well as my start bar below, the resolution isn't exactly as it should be, which causes the text to distort ever so slightly. Is there an easy (and precise) way to calculate my actual game window size to make the text not distort, or should I just play fullscreen/play in a smaller window and not extend it?

I prefer having the game take up the screen with the start bar easily accessible at the bottom if I need to pull up the intarwebs or something. Just a habit *shrug*.
 Bahamut.Dannyl
By Bahamut.Dannyl 2011-07-05 17:18:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Francisco said:
Can you post a pic of your game, possibly the full screen (including the top bar)?

Notice in the screenshot that mainly the letter M and I's seem very jagged. I've become so used to the look that I no longer notice them on my items so I didn't screenshot those.
To answer the other question, I don't plan on playing this game @ 4:3 ratio on a widescreen monitor =0
 Quetzalcoatl.Roark
By Quetzalcoatl.Roark 2011-07-05 17:20:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Vazerus said:

I play with windower, windowed, then extended to fit the screen at my monitor's resolution. The problem is, since it has a bar up top, as well as my start bar below, the resolution isn't exactly as it should be, which causes the text to distort ever so slightly. Is there an easy (and precise) way to calculate my actual game window size to make the text not distort, or should I just play fullscreen/play in a smaller window and not extend it?

I prefer having the game take up the screen with the start bar easily accessible at the bottom if I need to pull up the intarwebs or something. Just a habit *shrug*.

best way i can think of to measure that would be to take a screenshot and open it in photoshop and measure it, but even then it may not be 100% accurate. and on top of that, not sure if that would work either because changing the resolution like that would mess up the resolution ratio, but its worth a shot if you wanted to try it i suppose. as for full screen or smaller window that is personal preference, me liking to play in a smaller window
 Bahamut.Dannyl
By Bahamut.Dannyl 2011-07-05 17:30:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Vazerus said:

You are having the exact same issue I have. I'm betting your on Windows 7 as well. You can auto-hide the bottom taskbar but the window bar is my problem as well.
 Shiva.Francisco
By Shiva.Francisco 2011-07-05 17:36:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dannyl said:
Shiva.Francisco said:

Notice in the screenshot that mainly the letter M and I's seem very jagged. I've become so used to the look that I no longer notice them on my items so I didn't screenshot those.
To answer the other question, I don't plan on playing this game @ 4:3 ratio on a widescreen monitor =0

Looks like it's just being crushed a bit. Playing without the border may fix it... Also, if you are stretching the window by dragging the borders around, that can cause the skewing of text.

Switching Aspect Ratio in game has no effect on text or windows, just actual in game objects (terrain, mobs, players, etc)...