New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Endgame » Abyssea » Brewing Orthrus
Brewing Orthrus
By Ashaaman 2011-06-26 03:41:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Dodu said:
Asura.Tawhoya said:
lol less than 3k... I have about 2500 hp as thf there. Maybe I should use HP atma?

Show me a list of things that have killed you from ~full HP.

What's that, you say? Nothing other than Indrik?

Get better healers, stop wasting your brews.

Too easy.

Discoid.

Disgorge.
[+]
 Ifrit.Eikechi
Server: Ifrit
Game: FFXI
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2011-06-26 03:43:37
Link | Quote | Reply

How about Death.... full hp to 0 in 1s flat..... lol

But seriously, instead of some of you being so daggone condescending, why don't you give advice to the people who may have trouble with Orthus... "Suck less" or "Get a better healer" isn't exactly helpful.... Suggest gear sets for fire resi maybe? Or other Atma (if there is one other than Orthus' actual atma) for fire resi+... Dang people lol....
[+]
 Remora.Dodu
Server: Remora
user: Tsuko
By Remora.Dodu 2011-06-26 03:47:20
Link | Quote | Reply

My mistake, the other few things that are going to kill you regardless of how high you can reasonably get your HP must have slipped my mind.

Done wasting your time now? Good.

Get better healers.
 Remora.Dodu
By Remora.Dodu 2011-06-26 03:48:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Eikechi said:
How about Death.... full hp to 0 in 1s flat..... lol

But seriously, instead of some of you being so daggone condescending, why don't you give advice to the people who may have trouble with Orthus... "Suck less" or "Get a better healer" isn't exactly helpful.... Suggest gear sets for fire resi maybe? Or other Atma (if there is one other than Orthus' actual atma) for fire resi+... Dang people lol....

If there were an alternative to "get better healers", I'd tell them the alternative to "get better healers".

Orthrus is a joke. If you're dying to it, your healers are awful.
 Ifrit.Eikechi
Server: Ifrit
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2011-06-26 03:57:41
Link | Quote | Reply

In all seriousness what's the MDT cap on gear? 50%? And does Shell 5 push that further? I've never actually studied DT/PDT/MDT extensively. I just think the PDT cap is 50 for gear, so I'm assuming magic is the same. (Let's start there, as some people hate GoH)
 Bahamut.Kazius
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Kazius 2011-06-26 04:04:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah it's 50%, and Shell is included in that 50% so only need 23% (?) in gear if the Shell is coming from a WHM's fully merited Shellra V. Else I think it was around 26 or 27% needed from Shell V. The only thing that surpasses the MDT cap at the moment is Aegis
 Remora.Dodu
By Remora.Dodu 2011-06-26 04:05:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Outside of Aegis, the MDT cap for everything is 50%. MDB has no known cap.

But really, it takes one cure from a decent potency set to patch a GoH. You don't need a MDT set.
Server: Asura
By Asura.Leonlionheart 2011-06-26 04:40:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Archeron Flame can hit up to 3.5k in my experience, although that's usually with no shell/barspell due to horrible pick up WHMs.

If you have Shell V 5/5, Barspell 5/5 this will probably do like 1k max, if you use his Atma (or just high fire resistance gear) it'll probably get fully resisted most of the time. It can also be stunned fairly easily.

Gates of Hades is about half as powerful, w/ Shell V, barfira it did 300~500 on WAR, no MDT gear at all (I occasionally got hit with Grim Cuirass on . _ .)

There's no 'need' to brew this, but if it makes the whole 75 claw ordeal easier on you, I don't see a better use of brews at that point.
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-06-26 05:00:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kazius said:
Yeah it's 50%, and Shell is included in that 50% so only need 23% (?) in gear if the Shell is coming from a WHM's fully merited Shellra V. Else I think it was around 26 or 27% needed from Shell V. The only thing that surpasses the MDT cap at the moment is Aegis
Depends on your WHM, but 24% is what you'll need in gear with capped shell 5. It's 23 and some decimals, but same ***as capped gear haste.
 Remora.Dodu
By Remora.Dodu 2011-06-26 05:03:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Leonlionheart said:
Archeron Flame can hit up to 3.5k in my experience, although that's usually with no shell/barspell due to horrible pick up WHMs.

If you have Shell V 5/5, Barspell 5/5 this will probably do like 1k max, if you use his Atma (or just high fire resistance gear) it'll probably get fully resisted most of the time. It can also be stunned fairly easily.

Gates of Hades is about half as powerful, w/ Shell V, barfira it did 300~500 on WAR, no MDT gear at all (I occasionally got hit with Grim Cuirass on . _ .)

There's no 'need' to brew this, but if it makes the whole 75 claw ordeal easier on you, I don't see a better use of brews at that point.

I don't think anyone's arguing that using brews for trials like that is in poor taste. Its when you brew an incredibly easy mob for a single kill that people look at you funny.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-06-26 05:05:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Dodu said:
Asura.Leonlionheart said:

I don't think anyone's arguing that using brews for trials like that is in poor taste. Its when you brew an incredibly easy mob for a single kill that people look at you funny.

I don't know. If it's for like the atheling mantle only, that's definitely worth the 200k cruor. 100% drop and you can just be done with it without bugging anyone, though a better alternative might be to see if anyone spamming for Trial items will just give it away.
[+]
 Remora.Dodu
By Remora.Dodu 2011-06-26 05:12:49
Link | Quote | Reply

200k cruor, or asking one person if you can borrow them for 15 minutes.

That's tough.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Vlorsutes
Server: Lakshmi
user: Vlorsutes
By Lakshmi.Vlorsutes 2011-06-26 06:04:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Really, as long as you have a Whm with fully merited Shellra V and a good Bar-spell setup, even Acheron Flame is going to do little damage. The only time, as others have said, where he can get bad is sometimes he'll open up near the end and blast TP moves off far faster than he should, and if he prioritizes Acheron Flame then you might have problems. A single Acheron Flame, as long as you're properly buffed, won't do anywhere near enough damage to one shot you.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-06-26 06:12:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Dodu said:
200k cruor, or asking one person if you can borrow them for 15 minutes.

That's tough.

When you put it like that, it seems obvious. But keep in mind all these factors.

1. Is the person already geared for the job? It takes me 11 minutes just to switch from BST to WHM. So that already doubles the time investment

2. Is the person even afk? Ask=/= Get.

3. Assuming yes to the above, is it worth it for the effort? A lot of people have no problem changing for long-term stuff, but for a measly 10minutes?

4. Maybe you only know gimps?

5. Maybe you have an absurd amount of Cruor, and it really is just easier to brew it?

So instead of being a condescending ***, maybe you could think outside your elitist bubble and develop some empathy.

Not so simple, is it?
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-06-26 06:18:44
Link | Quote | Reply

You can shout in Port Jeuno and get a WHM for that ***, just offer them a choice of +2 items and keep the rest. That's what I did.
 Sylph.Agentblade
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Agentblade 2011-06-26 14:09:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for all the helpful advice, but im only brewing him for a friend to get mantle. I got lots of curor to burn and not really interested in a pick up group. I could save alot of time and effort. I have brewed him on blu out of boredom a few months back, went pretty well with CW spam. I was just wondering if blm would be better since thats all i use to brew on mainly. Once i complete armageddon, WF will be the ws of choice for my brewing needs.
 Carbuncle.Hysoka
Server: Carbuncle
user: Hyso
By Carbuncle.Hysoka 2011-06-26 22:15:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Lynxblade said:
i brewed orthus, just because i wanted the atheling mantle, and had the pop....., i used drk with gsword, and herculean slash...

Ice WS on a fire based mob ?.. Did it even break 1k dmg ?
 Sylph.Agentblade
By Sylph.Agentblade 2011-07-02 13:34:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I ended up brewing 3 in row on nin YU spam, worked out great. thanks for the helpful advice everyone. / cheers
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2011-07-02 14:26:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Wouldn't be surprised if CW could potentially nearly one shot Orthrus with the correct buffs and equipment setup. My fully buffed and brewed CWs do just short of 55k, can't imagine most NMs have more HP than a SB can handle after that.
 Asura.Calatilla
Server: Asura
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2011-07-02 14:48:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Dodu said:

If there were an alternative to "get better healers", I'd tell them the alternative to "get better healers".

Orthrus is a joke. If you're dying to it, your healers are awful.

Not everything can be blamed on the healer, if the person tanking it sucks balls no amount of healing is going to stop them failing badly.
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-07-02 14:52:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Depends, if they are dealing ***dmg then yes. If they are face tanking it, then no. You can face tank almost anything now with WHM spam healing. As long as there is just one person on it.
 Sylph.Kwate
user: kwate
By Sylph.Kwate 2011-07-06 17:16:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Agentblade said:
Is BLM a good job to brew orthrus with?

Yes, I had a blm smoke him within seconds with AM spells, it did unbelievable damage. It was back in January sometime so my memory is sketchy at best on it. I'm no blm so not sure what atmas, etc he used, but was impressive.
 Sylph.Agentblade
By Sylph.Agentblade 2011-07-06 17:19:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Kwate said:
Sylph.Agentblade said:
Is BLM a good job to brew orthrus with?

Yes, I had a blm smoke him within seconds with AM spells, it did unbelievable damage. It was back in January sometime so my memory is sketchy at best on it. I'm no blm so not sure what atmas, etc he used, but was impressive.

Yeah, BLM is my main brewing job, used it to brew most things with lil or no difficulty at all. With some mobs im not sure if blm is the right choice to brew with, such as rani. Never brewed rani myself but have seen it go bad fast with blm.
 Odin.Skeero
By Odin.Skeero 2011-07-06 17:26:17
Link | Quote | Reply

blm/whm with cataclysm is where its at.
 Bahamut.Wolfjorg
Server: Bahamut
user: wolfjorgg
By Bahamut.Wolfjorg 2011-07-06 17:29:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Orthrus can be triod using WHM+WAR+BLM fairly easy fight
 Bismarck.Helel
Server: Bismarck
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2011-07-06 17:32:22
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're gonna "nuke" stuff to death with brew, RDM is 10x more powerful than BLM with chainspell.

In regard to using CW, I've not brewed orthrus myself, but I have noticed some of the higher tier NMs seem to have 50% magic defense so it may do about half damage. On Rani for instance, charged whisker does 35k with best atmas and gear (unless I got unlucky with a resist or something). Strangely though on apademak, everyone's grudge does the full 65k and brings him from 100 > 25%. Pretty funny to watch.