When To Move Onto The Next Grade (Mining)

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXIV » Trade Skills » Miner » When to move onto the next grade (Mining)
When to move onto the next grade (Mining)
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-06-24 13:41:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Just curious, from people with decent experience in leveling up mining.. Do you wait til you have the next level of Lay of the Land before moving up on grade levels, or do you just stumble around on the next level up without it?

I'm doing Grade 2 atm, I just got Rank 13, and now the exp has been killed.. Trying to decide if it's a better idea to grind on something not giving that great of SP anymore, or if it's better to just go run around Grade 3 areas looking looking for mining points on my own and getting more SP per attempt.
 Midgardsormr.Redbun
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Redbun
By Midgardsormr.Redbun 2011-06-24 13:59:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Its almost pointless to stumble around looking for the mining nodes. By the time you find the node, and hit it maybe 2-4 times, you could've mined to finish at least 2 nodes at your current rank. If you have crafts, you can try to skim some SP from the Taskboard, because turning in 1 rank 10 item will net you as much SP as mining a node. Skill points are a crawl for most harvesting and mining. I just suggest spend your guardian aspect and take leves whenever you can. Harvesting has an ability that lets you net double the SP when active, and works with guardian aspect on leves. (Can net well over 1K SP in 1 hit) If you have that further than your mining, I suggest you go for that skill and then fall back to mining.
 Bismarck.Rellz
Server: Bismarck
user: Relleum
By Bismarck.Rellz 2011-06-24 13:59:56
Link | Quote | Reply

i personally waited until i got the next tier of lay of the land to go up a tier in mining. i would do grade 2 till you hit 18 then go to grade 3 which you do until about 25 i think it was. you can then go to iron lake or treespeak which is grade 5. most of the points are really close together most of those items are lower level which are somewhat easy to pull up. (can do the same with botany)

just my opinion

Edit: however if you have the higher tier prospect and have gear good for your level im sure you could try to go to a higher tier a few ranks lower it will take your SP farther before you hit fatigue. again it also depends if u want SP or items
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-06-24 14:15:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I haven't even touched botanist, and really don't feel like grinding it to 25.. I do fishing for shards/crystals and I do mining because my main craft is Smithing, I can use nearly every last thing I mine up, with the exception of a few items, like saltpeter, I can use it, but no need to.
 Gilgamesh.Talnek
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Talnek
By Gilgamesh.Talnek 2011-06-24 15:47:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Midgardsormr.Redbun said:
Harvesting has an ability that lets you net double the SP when active, and works with guardian aspect on leves. (Can net well over 1K SP in 1 hit) .

You can win 2400!! sp in 1 hit with this ability if your rank isn't too high compare to the grade ( r15 for grade 3 , r25 for grade 4 or r35 for grade 5)
 Fenrir.Alvaros
Server: Fenrir
user: Alvaros
By Fenrir.Alvaros 2011-06-24 16:16:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I moved up to higher grades when I got access to higher leves. So far, the areas for new leves were usually near other mining spots, and I would spend time during/after each leve exploring.
 Valefor.Artemys
user: Artemys
By Valefor.Artemys 2011-06-24 22:22:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Midgardsormr.Redbun said:
I just suggest spend your guardian aspect and take leves whenever you can. Harvesting has an ability that lets you net double the SP when active, and works with guardian aspect on leves. (Can net well over 1K SP in 1 hit) If you have that further than your mining, I suggest you go for that skill and then fall back to mining.
This is exactly what I'm doing, almost there ^^
In both Botany and Mining I've just grinded out until I get the next ability, I save Aspect for the leves to speed up the process also.
 Bismarck.Rellz
By Bismarck.Rellz 2011-06-25 10:43:14
Link | Quote | Reply

i personally only do field craft leves for marks. using aspect on field craft imo is a waste. so easy to get SP on a DoL.

The ability redbun was referring to is the rank 25 botanist ability "Sweat of Brow" it randomly activates and you get double the SP while it is active. very nice to have. recommend anyone who is even leveling a dol to get 25 botanist
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-06-25 12:12:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't use my GA on random leves.. I have to save it for doing Big 3, I barely have enough to use it on Ranine and Dunes, I usually end up doing multiple runs, maybe after my MRD hits 50 I can spare it for fieldcraft leves.
 Bismarck.Rellz
By Bismarck.Rellz 2011-06-25 12:25:39
Link | Quote | Reply

the only leves i think do give additional SP are the ones that ask you to get certain items... and that only gives additional SP on those specific items. its only about 1k additional DoL SP a leve. but if ur not doing battle at all i suppose