Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » brew on rani
brew on rani
 Shiva.Chaosbringer
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Agent11d7
By Shiva.Chaosbringer 2011-06-17 17:26:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Thinking of brewing rani, using thief. I have read that you must macro in weapon skills so u don't heal him. Has anybody else done it on thief. Any tips, I am taking a monk for blue proc also. Any tips would be helpful.
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-06-17 17:27:51
Link | Quote | Reply

There isn't much to it. Use Aeolian edge and when it starts casting a spell use evisceration. It is always the same interval between spells so you can pretty much guess when it will happen. Just be aware he normally goes WS > spell > ws > spell.
 Ifrit.Herc
Server: Ifrit
user: kametas44
By Ifrit.Herc 2011-06-17 17:30:28
Link | Quote | Reply

sry to invade this forum but savr makin another thread....draylo i know ure a BLU expert so ill ask u wut atmas should i equip?
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-06-17 17:33:40
Link | Quote | Reply

For brewing? Not sure which you are asking. There are different atma combos depending on what you are going to do.

If you have almace I like doing GH/RR/Apoc, I know SS is a bit better than GH but I like the agi for B typhoon SC combo and the counter in addition to trait for 20% counter.

If you don't have Almace you can do SA/RR/MM or Apoc/RR/MM and spell spam or if MP isn't an issue can replace it for another DD atma like VV or GH and vorpal spam, I would do spell spam for better damage though if that is the priority.

For whisker cleave I like to use Blinding horn/ultimate/lion, don't ever need Mp outside of gear+refresh+temp items+2hr chest in my case.

For brewing, I normally use Sanguine blade so I would use banisher/ultimate/cosmos.
 Ifrit.Herc
user: kametas44
By Ifrit.Herc 2011-06-17 17:37:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Thx i appreciate it...ill work on almace oneday...but yea i understand RR and MM but how come u prefer SA over VV?
 Odin.Dezaar
Server: Odin
user: dezaar
By Odin.Dezaar 2011-06-17 17:37:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Use Evisceration during Rani's casting and Aeolian edge when its meleeing or tping

Just pay attention and don't heal it!

If you focus and avoid heals you will kill it in like 2min MAX! i think i killed Rani in like 1min 45sec ~
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-06-17 17:39:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Herc said:
Thx i appreciate it...ill work on almace oneday...but yea i understand RR and MM but how come u prefer SA over VV?

It's been a while since I've spell spammed, I thought it was the better STR atma but VV is, I'd use that.
 Sylph.Decimus
Server: Sylph
user: Octavius
By Sylph.Decimus 2011-06-17 17:58:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Take an amnesia screen and just calm down. Don't pay attention to what people are typing. Just focus and it's really easy. Shin can eff you over, but you can really only blame yourself on Rani.

When I brewed on thf I didn't use any MAB or atma of the gales mostly because I didn't have them. Just RR, GH, and Sanguine Scythe and it worked out. Another tip, stay out of range of anything until you start to brew. No sense in having to wait for weakness to wear.
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-06-17 18:05:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't need to wait for weakness unless its double weak where AE does 0 dmg.
 Ragnarok.Corvinus
Server: Ragnarok
user: Xiong
By Ragnarok.Corvinus 2011-06-17 18:09:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Side note, its best to start your brew once you proc blue. That way he won't charm you either.
[+]
 Bahamut.Aeronis
Server: Bahamut
user: Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2011-06-17 18:10:28
Link | Quote | Reply

AE with Gales, Smiting Blow, and Apoc kills it in ~45 seconds.
 Carbuncle.Tweeek
Server: Carbuncle
user: Tweeek
By Carbuncle.Tweeek 2011-06-17 18:11:27
Link | Quote | Reply

all you need to do is take your time and be patient.

when you first pop the brew try to AE him if he's not casting, you can get him below 50% easy.

If you want to play it super safe this will 100% work if you don't get amnesia'd (use a screen)

Then basically you can just wait for him to cast Meteor once he casts it you you have time for 2x AE back to back and then just wait until he casts Metero again (he will soon) then rinse and repeat. If you are feeling more confidant than you can do a physical WS when he casts but if you're scurred just wait it out.

People who rush it are the ones who cure it and end up running out of time.

I don't have all the uber MAB atmas so I just used Beyond/Baying Moon/Gales. Brewed him 5 or 6 times for LS mates, in all we did about 20 for everyone to get rings. I suggest MNK tank, get blue!! try to get TH up to like 8 or 9 and the drop rate is pretty decent on ring. TH6ish with blue drop rate was pretty iffy few times brew people jumped the gun
[+]
 Lakshmi.Emanuelle
Server: Lakshmi
user: Minipie
By Lakshmi.Emanuelle 2011-06-17 18:25:51
Link | Quote | Reply

use atma of gales for aolian edge , mm ultimate/beyond or baying moon combos
 Shiva.Chaosbringer
user: Agent11d7
By Shiva.Chaosbringer 2011-06-17 18:54:25
Link | Quote | Reply

So at the beginning start with AE and just wait till he cast and start using evisceration. What's the chance of getting charmed. Also you talk about a screen, where can I get this screen from for amnesia. Thank you.
 Carbuncle.Tweeek
By Carbuncle.Tweeek 2011-06-17 19:09:13
Link | Quote | Reply

the screens are sold in the same zone from the dominion dude i think its the same guy who you trade trophies to or right next to him.

meh, he charms sometimes but i've only seen it after a brew person failed.

don't physical if he's TPing. Yea he should cast something pretty quick if not meteor something else you need to be kinda quick with the EV sometimes just make sure he's not doing one of the super quick casts i forget what they are something like flash etc. you don't even need to EV at all to get the win easily. if you just AE, get TP AE again then wait for him to cast meteor see it land then AE, get TP AE again wait etc he dies quick.

If you wanted to lock your brew for something else and wanted to go quick I would worry about the EV but otherwise if you don't plan on locking your brew (it's going to eat into your brew time no matter what not like you can one shot the guy and lock it, not sure you could squeeze 2 Ranis with 1 brew it could be pretty tough I never bothered)

good luck man, its not bad so dont be scurred just be patient and you won't mess up :)
 Shiva.Msthief
user: Msthief
By Shiva.Msthief 2011-06-17 19:12:45
Link | Quote | Reply

The correct aeolian atmas are smiting blow, ultimate and gales. I'm sorry, there really isn't a contest when you're talking about strictly brewing AE. Martial knife helps a lot as well. The first tp bonus increases your damage by more than 25%, the second 14%. Total about 45%.

If you're not using some form of 100% TP bonus to get that first 25%, you're doing it wrong.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Tarowyn
Server: Fenrir
user: Tarowyn
By Fenrir.Tarowyn 2011-06-17 22:29:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
Shiva.Msthief said:
The correct aeolian atmas are smiting blow, ultimate and gales. I'm sorry, there really isn't a contest when you're talking about strictly brewing AE. Martial knife helps a lot as well. The first tp bonus increases your damage by more than 25%, the second 14%. Total about 45%. If you're not using some form of 100% TP bonus to get that first 25%, you're doing it wrong.
Actually ultimate does very little for AE brewing, there is just nothing strong worth using in it's place. If you used even baying moon instead you'd barely notice the difference. On windsday atma of the hateful steam and atma of echoes would give much more dmg than ultimate, but I can't think of anything else even relevant
For rani in particularly, you could always set RR for evisc when he's casting. If you're definitely only going to use AE then yeah, not much out there, lol.
 Sylph.Shinobu
Server: Sylph
user: shinobu
By Sylph.Shinobu 2011-06-18 00:35:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Best rani brew is get like 3 rdm's with brew and 6-8 pop sets. Find something to lock brews near rani pop. Have a small group find rani's yellow trigger. Once you find his yellow, have rdm pop brew, trigger yellow and have rdm roflstomp, chainspell even.

rinse, repeat
By Ashaaman 2011-06-18 00:47:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Shinobu said:
Best rani brew is get like 3 rdm's with brew and 6-8 pop sets. Find something to lock brews near rani pop. Have a small group find rani's yellow trigger. Once you find his yellow, have rdm pop brew, trigger yellow and have rdm roflstomp, chainspell even.

rinse, repeat

This is terrible advice...
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-06-18 00:48:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Ashaaman said:
Sylph.Shinobu said:

rinse, repeat

this ^ lol
 Ifrit.Eikechi
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2011-06-18 00:48:45
Link | Quote | Reply

How does one "lock" their brew? I don't quite get that term.. Sorry if this is off topic, but I'm interested in this as I'm reading this thread
[+]
 Shiva.Ikutaki
user: Ikutaki
By Shiva.Ikutaki 2011-06-18 00:54:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Eikechi said:
How does one "lock" their brew? I don't quite get that term.. Sorry if this is off topic, but I'm interested in this as I'm reading this thread

Interacting with a Martello, chest, NPC, etc. freezes the timer of all the buffs on you, brew included.
 Ifrit.Eikechi
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2011-06-18 01:00:40
Link | Quote | Reply

hax....thats pretty boss lol
 Carbuncle.Tweeek
By Carbuncle.Tweeek 2011-06-20 10:42:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said:
Ashaaman said:
Sylph.Shinobu said:

rinse, repeat

this ^ lol

lol this is not only terrible, it's some of the worst advice i've ever heard.
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-06-20 10:50:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually witnessed a guy go out of his way today to fail at brewing this. Rani was at 50%ish before he popped his brew, then the retard proceeded to AE during casts, and DE afterward. Kept making skillchains that healed him. So his brew wears off, and then he comes back with another brew, and gets it down to 75%ish and then heals it back to full again...
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
Server: Bahamut
user: Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2011-06-20 10:54:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I've never brewed on THF, but yeah. Just do what Draylo has said. RR/GH/SS(or Apoc) if you want to focus on Melee WSs. Or Gales/Ultimate/Beyond. If you're weakened, you can still use A Edge. If you're killed while you're weakened (double weakness), use Evisceration only. Honestly though, I've only brewed Rani on NIN and PUP with melee atmas set.
 Fenrir.Motenten
VIP
Server: Fenrir
user: Motenten
By Fenrir.Motenten 2011-06-20 19:19:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Mild note: I've found that you have time for 2 safe weaponskills (magic-based) in between spellcasts with Rani. If you try to squeak a third in, there's a very good chance you'll screw up and hit her during a spell, re-healing her (though it's possible for it to be safe if mages are keeping her slowed/elegied/addled, there's no real reason to risk it).

So I just get in a pattern of: wait for spell to finish; magic weaponskill; magic weaponskill; physical weaponskill (that doesn't SC with the magic WS); repeat physical weaponskill if it's a long spell (eg: AM), but not if it's a short spell, since there's a chance of a TP move after the spell ends.

And yes, I've seen some pretty epic fails on brews. I even screwed one up on the uragnite in Grauberg, doing Victory Smite > Victory Smite for Light, forgetting that the Light SC is going to heal it for more than the weaponskill did. So I switched to alternating with Ascetic's Fury. And then remembered that VS's frag property > AF's fusion property still gives me Light. So switched to Dragon Kick. Except that came after an AF, so *still* did Light. Was very frustrating.
 Phoenix.Kirana
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-06-20 19:25:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Did this a couple days ago on thf. Used Gales/Smiting blow/Ultimate. He goes down very quickly, just don't be stupid, anticipate his casting.