My guide to FFXI on a Mac
First Page 2
 Asura.Mastterjt
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: mastterjt
By Asura.Mastterjt 2011-06-05 21:07:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been trying to get FFXI to boot and run on a Mac for the last few weeks. The info I have found I had to search hard for and took quite a bit of trial and error to nail down. I'll post this in hopes it may save like-minded players some time and effort. If anyone has the know-how, please make this into a Wiki how-to guide! Also my Mac's info for reference are as follows; iMac 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1 GB 677 DDR2 SDRAM Mac OS X 10.6.7 ATI RadeonX1600 128 MB VRAM

Quick links to my info sources;
http://davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/command-line/
http://davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=2739
http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Macro
http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Graphics
http://www.winehq.org/docs/wineusr-guide/config-wine-main

To install Wine on your Mac, you will need the following:

An Intel Mac
Unfortunately, you can't install Wine on an older PowerPC Mac: it will only work with an Intel Mac. All new Macs use Intel processors. To see if your Mac has an Intel processor, go to the Apple logo on the far left of the toolbar, select About This Mac, and look at the Processor description. If it contains the word "Intel," you're good to go!
Access to an Admin account, with password
You can't install software unless you're an Admin. You will need to be logged in to this Admin account during the installation. If there is only one account on your computer, it is an Admin account. Also, the account must have a password set: if the account has no password, the sudo utility will fail. To set or change your password, go to the Accounts section in System Preferences.
Apple Xcode
You can install Xcode from your Mac OS X installation DVD, or you can download it from the Apple website. It's free, but to download it you'll need to get a free Apple Developer account first. If you're running Snow Leopard (10.6), you'll need Xcode 3.2 or higher. If you're running Leopard (10.5), you'll need Xcode 3.1. If you're running Tiger (10.4), you'll need Xcode 2.5.
Java Development Package
You'll need to install this from Apple. There's one version for Snow Leopard (10.6), and one version for Leopard (10.5). Grab the right one and install it.
X11
X11 is installed by default on Snow Leopard and Leopard. If you are running Tiger, you can install X11 from your Tiger installation DVD using the "Optional Installs.mpkg" file.
An internet connection
If you're reading this tutorial, you should be set.
About an hour
Don't worry, you won't need to be actually sitting at your computer for most of that time.

Part 1: Install MacPorts

MacPorts is a package manager that makes installing open source programs much easier. In particular, trying to install a large program like Wine without the help of a package manager would be tremendously difficult. Fortunately, MacPorts itself is simple to install.

On the MacPorts website, go to the Download and Installation page and download the appropriate "dmg" disk image for your computer.
Double-click the file you downloaded, and double-click the .pkg file to run the installer.

Part 2: Configure MacPorts

MacPorts needs a little bit of setup to work properly.

Open up the Terminal and copy and paste the following into it. Remember not to include the dollar sign ($) at the beginning.
$ echo export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:\$PATH$'\n'export MANPATH=/opt/local/man:\$MANPATH | sudo tee -a /etc/profile

The Terminal will ask for your password: this is the password to the Admin account on your computer. As a security measure, the Terminal does not display anything as you type, not even asterisks (*). Type your password anyway, and press enter. If you ran the command correctly, the Terminal should respond with:
export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH
export MANPATH=/opt/local/man:$MANPATH

If you didn't get that response, it might be because the Admin account doesn't have a password set. Setting a password is required.

Next, run this command (without the $):
$ if [ `sysctl -n hw.cpu64bit_capable` -eq 1 ] ; then echo "+universal" | sudo tee -a /opt/local/etc/macports/variants.conf; else echo "not 64bit capable"; fi

If you have a newer computer running Snow Leopard, the Terminal will respond with "+universal". If you have an older computer, the Terminal will respond with "not 64bit capable". Either way is fine, but MacPorts needs to know one way or the other, and that command should do the trick.
Close and reopen the Terminal window.

Part 3: Install Wine Using MacPorts

Let's start using MacPorts right away! To tell MacPorts that you want it to install Wine for you, all you have to do is enter this command (without the $):

$ sudo port install wine

You may be asked for your Admin account password again. The Terminal will start displaying lots of information. This is absolutely normal — MacPorts is just keeping you updated on what it's doing. This flow of information will be your guide to let you know whether or not the computer is still working. It will take a while for the install to finish: at least half an hour. As long as the Terminal keeps on giving you more information about what it's doing, don't interrupt it. Feel free to leave and do something else while the computer is installing Wine. When the Terminal stops giving you more information and is ready for another command, Wine is installed and ready to go!

Note: If you get an error message at this step that reads error: C compiler cannot create executables or Failed to locate 'make' in path, it means you forgot to install Xcode. See the requirements.

Part 4: Download FFXI

I recommend using Direct-To-Drive online retailer to download FFXI. I did try Amazon, but it needed a download manager type program that is not supported by Wine. We will next use Terminal to run FFXI's installer, but first a few Terminal basics.

The terminal is much like an old DOS OS which requires a small understanding of how to navigate your folders and files.

Typical commands:
ls - Typing ls after the dollar sign will list the folders and files in you current location.

cd - Typing cd will allow you to Change Directory; after cd you will need to type the name of the folder you would like to change to

.. - Typing .. will bring back one folder

Here is a sample line on navigating.
JT's-iMac:Program Files jt$ ls
Amazon Internet Explorer
Common Files PlayOnline
InstallShield Installation Information
JT's-iMac:Program Files jt$ cd PlayOnline/

In the normal finder find the .zip file that is called ffxi_ucae_ddmf_na.zip (this may change as newer versions of the game are released) drag it to the desktop and unzip it by double clicking.

Now launch the terminal find the file that was the result of the unzipped file. It should end in .exe. Next type- $ wine FINALFANTASYXIUCAE.exe

The next steps should be somewhat familiar as the Playonline will be installed and updated and then finally FFXI.

Part 5: Configurations

Before the game is launched it is necessary to configure a few things in the terminal.

Configuring Wine for FFXI:

Type in "winecfg". (This will launch a configurations window to allow changes to how Wine will run)
On the Applications tab, click "Add Application".
Navigate to C:\Program Files\PlayOnline\SquareEnix\PlayOnlineViewerPlayOnlineViewer\ and select pol.exe, then click "Open".
Highlight pol.exe (during this step you may also tell Wine what version of windows to use when running POL by choosing from the drop down menu named "Windows Version:" XP or Vista are likely the best choices) in the Application List, then click the Libraries tab.
Select dxdiagn from the drop-down box on that tab, and click "Add".
Select dxdiagn from the list below and click "Edit".
Select "native (Windows)" and click OK. then click Apply.
Move to the Graphic Tab and check the box Emulate a virtual desktop
In the two boxes below I gave a 800x600 area for POL to boot up in.

Configuring FFXI graphics:
FFXI does have a config .exe program, but I have yet to get wine to boot it up. Thus we need to edit registries to change the options that the config .exe would have changed for us.

In a new command line type regedit. This will launch a window that reveals registers that you may edit.
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PlayOnlinexx\SquareEnix\FinalFantasyXI by using the drop down + signs.
Once FinalFantasyXI folder is highlighted it will reveal 20 or so registers that you can change.

The following is a quick reference for the values found in the above registry key:
Value Description
0000 MIP mapping
0001 Screen resolution width (in pixels)
0002 Screen resolution height (in pixels)
0003 Background resolution width (in pixels)
0004 Background resolution height (in pixels)
0007 Music and Sound effects (0=Off, 1=On)
0011 Environmental Animation (0=Off, 1=Normal, 2=Smooth)
0017 Bump Mapping (0=Off, 1=On)
0018 Texture Compression (0=High, 1=Low, 2=Uncompressed)
0019 On-Screen Maps (0=Compressed, 1=Uncompressed)
0022 Intro Movie (0=Disabled, 1=Enabled)
0034 Window Mode (0=Full Screen, 1=Window Mode)

The most important registers to edit are 1-4. I have found the game will not give improper screen resolution setting so registers 0001 and 0002 are very important. I found resolutions for 4:3 aspect ratios worked for my hardware. If you get the following text after going from pol and logging into FFXI you need to tweak your 0001 and 0002 values; "Terminated as error occurred in Final Fantasy XI. Failed to initialize Direct3D. Please check that this computer has the required specifications to run Final Fantasy XI."

Registers 0001 and 0002 will determine both the actual size of the window FFXI runs in proportion to your monitors native resolution. I have my monitor set to 1680x1050 and my reg 0001 and 0002 are set for 1280x1024. When first double clicking the register it will appear a small window and the value for the register will be a hexadecimal number, but is easily changed to decimal under the option named base.

Register 0003 and 0004 will determine the back ground resolution and will have the biggest factor on the look of the game and frame rate. I have played with these and have settled on 1280x1024, but I will likely tweak them in the future.

Step 6: Try it out and fine tune

Be sure to load your macros from the machine you normally play on and upload it to the server(in the character selection screen Shift + Alt + Ctrl + B), then load it to you Mac before fully logging into FFXI (in the character selection screen Shift + Alt + Ctrl + R ).

In the configurations tab while in the game I set my keyboard type to compact to get my number pad to work properly for 8,4,6,2 movement. The only issue I need to work out is when activating macros it will will move my character and does not recognize the control button is depressed. For instance, I hit Control+8 for a haste macro, but since "8" is also bound to forward movement my spell cast will be interrupted. If you have any suggestions or questions please let me know via PM.
[+]
 Ramuh.Krizz
Server: Ramuh
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2011-06-05 21:13:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Stickied.

Do not even attempt to turn this into a mac vs windows vs linux thread.
[+]
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
Server: Bahamut
user: Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-06-05 21:15:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Krizz said:
Stickied.

Do not even attempt to turn this into a mac vs windows vs linux thread.
lol, there's no need sir, no need.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-06-05 21:20:09
Link | Quote | Reply

question though, would any of this be useful in attempting to install it via wine on linux? or anyone have a link to that information?

I'm looking to give a couple of OS's a whirl here shortly and would like to mentally cache it if I indeed choose another OS.
 Carbuncle.Ianpyst
Server: Carbuncle
user: ianpyst
By Carbuncle.Ianpyst 2011-06-05 21:21:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I did this a couple of months ago, and you can get full speed on low end older macs, but it would seem that a good number of people are turned off by the lack of Windower (can't hook in the wine environment).
 Carbuncle.Ianpyst
By Carbuncle.Ianpyst 2011-06-05 21:25:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
question though, would any of this be useful in attempting to install it via wine on linux? or anyone have a link to that information?

I'm looking to give a couple of OS's a whirl here shortly and would like to mentally cache it if I indeed choose another OS.

You would do the configuring the same in any Linux flavor, minus the macports part. All flavors have there own auto-install program to get Wine if your not comfortable building it yourself.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-06-05 21:29:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Ianpyst said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:

You would do the configuring the same in any Linux flavor, minus the macports part. All flavors have there own auto-install program to get Wine if your not comfortable building it yourself.

so you couldn't use windower in either linux or mac, since they both use wine? that's interesting...

As soon as I can afford a usb powered external drive I'm going to give it a whirl, thanks for the input.
 Carbuncle.Ianpyst
By Carbuncle.Ianpyst 2011-06-05 21:32:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:

so you couldn't use windower in either linux or mac, since they both use wine? that's interesting...

As soon as I can afford a usb powered external drive I'm going to give it a whirl, thanks for the input.

Unfortunately Windower does not work in any wine environment. Windower itself would have to be modified, and there was a thread about it a while ago on their forums that it wasn't something they were going to work on, if I recall correctly.
 Asura.Mastterjt
user: mastterjt
By Asura.Mastterjt 2011-06-06 01:22:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu,
Yes the Linux configuration would be very, very similar. Look at http://www.winehq.org/ to download the correct Wine for your OS.
 Odin.Tsukiji
Server: Odin
user: Tsukiji
By Odin.Tsukiji 2011-06-07 01:46:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Why not just set up Bootcamp (comes with all Intel Macs) and boot in Windows instead? That way you can use all your RAM, everything, and it runs natively.
[+]
By zifferous1 2011-06-07 02:04:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I use Linux mint as my primary os and run ffxi and it runs really well, i have yet to get windower to work tho. i have tried to get ffxi work on other distro with out success. the main source i uses is appdb.winehq.com for Linux so hope that helps those of you who want to try ffxi on Linux
 Fenrir.Tarowyn
Server: Fenrir
user: Tarowyn
By Fenrir.Tarowyn 2011-06-07 02:07:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Tsukiji said:
Why not just set up Bootcamp (comes with all Intel Macs) and boot in Windows instead? That way you can use all your RAM, everything, and it runs natively.
Mmm, I imagine if you actually prefer to use a mac, you wouldn't want to have to reboot all the time just to play ff. And of course you couldn't run mac applications while playing ff.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Ianpyst
By Carbuncle.Ianpyst 2011-06-07 02:18:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Tarowyn said:
Odin.Tsukiji said:
Mmm, I imagine if you actually prefer to use a mac, you wouldn't want to have to reboot all the time just to play ff. And of course you couldn't run mac applications while playing ff.

Well running in Bootcamp versus a Wine environment won't net you any different performance numbers (low end older intel macs will still obtain full speed). I do, however, play in Bootcamp. But only because Windower doesn't work in Wine.

It would be nice to not have to restart into Windows, but I only do that for Windower. Everything else I use performs perfectly in Wine.
 Asura.Lior
user: Lior
By Asura.Lior 2011-06-07 12:28:08
Link | Quote | Reply

i would've loved to play ffxi on mac os instead of booting to windows everytime i want to play. i'm just way too used to play with windower and its plugins.

2 weeks ago i tried out parallels. i wanted to be able to at least stay in mac os while playing ffxi. it did run ffxi pretty good (imac 2010 i5 4gb ram) in win7 coherence mode. too bad i'm using bt mighty mouse and apple kb. using these, making the coherence lag, and the kb/mouse will only be used when doing something win relevent. so, back to bootcamp for now.

does anyone have experience in vmware fusion? some ppl say its better than parallels, other say its bad. would be nice if someone had some experience with ffxi on vmware fusion...

to sum up:
wine = no windower/plugins
parallels = might work for you if you dont use bt mouse/kb
bootcamp = best option atm
vmware fusion = ?
 Odin.Tsukiji
Server: Odin
user: Tsukiji
By Odin.Tsukiji 2011-06-08 19:12:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I definitely prefer being in OSX than Windows, but realistically speaking it's just easier to boot into Windows and reboot when done. Yes it's a bit of a hassle, but I mean restarting takes 2 minutes.

I know everyone is different but there arent *too* many OSX-specific programs one can run while playing FFXI...unless you're AFK. Windows has iTunes for music, Firefox for browsing, all the same messenger apps...not sure what else one would need while logged into FFXI.

To each their own of course, but Bootcamp is just better/easier right now. And yes lack of Windower is a big no-no for me.

@Lior- I don't exactly have a "gaming computer" set up, but I have the standard 4 gigs RAM, and Fusion is extremely slow for me. I can run it, sure, but I couldn't run a game on it. As far as I know a lot of your graphic card features become unavailable under Fusion as well, so it's just not a good option atm.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-06-08 19:19:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Tsukiji said:
I definitely prefer being in OSX than Windows, but realistically speaking it's just easier to boot into Windows and reboot when done. Yes it's a bit of a hassle, but I mean restarting takes 2 minutes.

I know everyone is different but there arent *too* many OSX-specific programs one can run while playing FFXI...unless you're AFK. Windows has iTunes for music, Firefox for browsing, all the same messenger apps...not sure what else one would need while logged into FFXI.

To each their own of course, but Bootcamp is just better/easier right now. And yes lack of Windower is a big no-no for me.

I sooo agree with this.
I tried out wine and a virtual windows machine in osx for awhile, and well..
I'm using bootcamp now for a reason.
It runs alot better here, + windower.

Edit: I did try voth vmware and parallels btw, both of them ran the game too slow for me.
(Macbook with 2ghz c2d, 2gb ram and geforce 9400 :<)
Atleast I only use my mac for ffxi while on the move :P
 Asura.Macone
user: Macten
By Asura.Macone 2011-06-18 20:33:26
Link | Quote | Reply

My friend is running Windows 7 on his MacBook and he was wondering if there is an equivalent key to Insert on his keyboard he can use to adjust windower plugins while playing.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [57 days between previous and next post]
 Ragnarok.Napkins
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Napkins 2011-08-15 03:00:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I also play on macbook but I just use /console blablabla for whatever. It the same as type in the console window
 Leviathan.Haruhigumi
Server: Leviathan
user: kbeezie
By Leviathan.Haruhigumi 2011-08-18 07:23:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Tsukiji said: »

I actually wanted to do this on my own early 08 macbook, because when rebooted into windows I could actually play Doom 3, Half Life 2 level stuff which is more than plenty for FFXI... except one of the Apple firmware updates (not sure which they always hide it in the OS updates) made it impossible to install windows off an external optical drive. Had to be on the internal drive... which happened to be busted. Even with rEFIx I could never get it installed.

So instead I was trying Parallels and VmWare Fusion for a while, which did work, but not nearly as well as a sub-300$ PC laptop for FFXI. (which in a nutshell would be about the cost of replacing the macbook's battery, optical drive, etc, even if I were to just ebay the parts).

But course in doing so I got the PC as a dedicated FFXI machine, and the macbook hooked up to externals right next to it can work (and ffxiah check stuff) while playing. Since I much prefer OSX for actual work.

I might try the wine method just for experimentation.
 Siren.Balias
Server: Siren
user: Balias
By Siren.Balias 2011-08-30 23:39:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Also is it possible to get a Logitech Rumblepad F510 to work via this method? keyboards are so last year...
 Bismarck.Moonlightespada
MSPaint Winner
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Moonlightespada 2011-08-30 23:59:21
Link | Quote | Reply

tbh im surprized they didnt release a mac ver. of this game considering the high amout of mac users outside the us and in japan. could of easily expanded thier player base
Server: Sylph
user: Miitanuk
By Sylph.Dancingharuhi 2011-08-31 07:59:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Moonlightespada said: »
tbh im surprized they didnt release a mac ver. of this game considering the high amout of mac users outside the us and in japan. could of easily expanded thier player base

What, by a couple hundred at most?
 Unicorn.Divinian
Server: Unicorn
user: Divinian
By Unicorn.Divinian 2011-08-31 14:40:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Macone said: »
My friend is running Windows 7 on his MacBook and he was wondering if there is an equivalent key to Insert on his keyboard he can use to adjust windower plugins while playing.

Function + Enter Key

A bit late, but here ya go, lol.
 Lakshmi.Schultz
Server: Lakshmi
user: Schultz
By Lakshmi.Schultz 2011-09-29 01:07:42
Link | Quote | Reply

For those thinking about upgrading to Lion. Bootcamp on Lion only supports Windows 7. For me this has destroyed by ability to play FFXI on my Macbook. I'm not going to go out and buy a new OS just to play one game. Every other machine in my place is either Ubuntu or Mac. I've got 1 PC dedicated to just FFXI, and that's about to go. So once that's gone, I guess it'll be 360 only for me.

Edit: Corrected. Only if you upgrade Bootcamp (see comment below).
 Carbuncle.Ianpyst
By Carbuncle.Ianpyst 2011-09-29 01:13:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Schultz said: »
For those thinking about upgrading to Lion. Bootcamp on Lion only supports Windows 7. For me this has destroyed by ability to play FFXI on my Macbook. I'm not going to go out and buy a new OS just to play one game. Every other machine in my place is either Ubuntu or Mac. I've got 1 PC dedicated to just FFXI, and that's about to go. So once that's gone, I guess it'll be 360 only for me.

This is only if you upgrade the Bootcamp utility software to version 4. Otherwise you can still run XP or what ever you wish.
 Lakshmi.Schultz
Server: Lakshmi
user: Schultz
By Lakshmi.Schultz 2011-09-29 01:28:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh really... GDI >_< Downgrade man, downgrade!!! -- Well atleast that comment even though it was wrong, served some sort of purpose in warning people not to upgrade Bootcamp.
 Fenrir.Laraul
user: Laraul
By Fenrir.Laraul 2011-10-05 17:24:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Macone said: »

fn-return should perform "insert".
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [128 days between previous and next post]
 Fenrir.Framerate
VIP
user: framerate
By Fenrir.Framerate 2012-02-10 17:19:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Would like to add that I'm currently getting 29.4 fps running FFXI and Visual Studio inside a virtual machine on the latest VMWare Fusion.

Google VMWare Fusion if you haven't heard of it, but it's came a long way in 2011. You basically run Windows as a full screen app inside OSX Lion, swiping your fingers to switch between operating systems is pretty awesome.
 Sylph.Zefyr
Server: Sylph
user: Zefyr
By Sylph.Zefyr 2012-02-10 17:24:50
Link | Quote | Reply

What hardware is that on?
First Page 2