Sony's Rapture?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » Sony's Rapture?
Sony's Rapture?
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Ragnarok.Corres
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Geloudia
By Ragnarok.Corres 2011-06-01 13:47:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Catnipthief said:
Ramuh.Haseyo said:
I still have my *** Gamecube box xD

If it tells you anything...

I still have my NES box :o
have those and my Genesis and Dreamcast box. The Consoles are in their boxes respectively
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
Server: Bahamut
user: Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-06-01 13:48:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Haseyo said:

I still have my SNES box
 Ramuh.Haseyo
Server: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2011-06-01 13:48:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Haseyo said:

hi grandpa.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2011-06-01 13:48:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I haven't bought a console in over 8 years. Doesn't it stand to reason though that if you shelled out $300 or $400 or whatever it is for PS3, wouldn't you want their network to work?

Saying stuff like "I bought all these Sony products and they ripped me off, I'm glad this is happening to them" or similar seems like you're glad you wasted your money. If I blew money on a console, I would want it to be fully functional and not glad the company is suffering.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-06-01 13:49:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Rinnsi said:
my friend was all over this, cheering on the hackers, even thot hey took the network down. go them? I dunno, people say what Geohot did wasn't bad, but it completely opened the PS3 and PSP for hacking. meaning more pirating. then he distribted them. if he kept it to himself, it wouldn't of been a problem. but it's like taking your friends Debit card, figuring out the code, then making thousands of copies and giving them out to people. of course he;s gunna be pissed

the difference here is that the one is illegal, the other isn't.

what Geohot(name?) did wasn't illegal, nor was distributing the info, Sony's butthurt that's all.
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
user: Fyyvoaa
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2011-06-01 13:51:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Ramuh.Haseyo said:

hi grandpa.

nuuuu :x i'm only 25 ;;
 Carbuncle.Kerokun
Server: Carbuncle
user: Kerokun
By Carbuncle.Kerokun 2011-06-01 13:52:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
That same group said on Twitter this past Friday, "We're working on another Sony operation. We've condensed all our excited tweets into this one: this is the beginning of the end for Sony." A follow-up tweet yesterday said, "#Sownage (Sony + Ownage) Phase 1 will begin within the next day. We may have a pre-game show for you folks though. Stay tuned." As of this writing, no further updates related to Sony have been posted.
I'm a little disappointed. Where's the digital map of the world on the wall with a giant countdown timer, accompanied by evil laughter? Looks like they were going with the stereotypical megalomaniac approach, but they didn't go all the way.

inb4 follow-up tweet "Today Sony; tomorrow: THE WORLD"
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2011-06-01 13:53:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Jailbreaking is not illegal.

The US Copyright Office exempted it and similar hardware/software mods from copyright considerations in July 2010, as long as your jailbreak is for the purpose of running alternative but legally-owned software.

They also made it legal to "unlock" cell phones and similar devices to run on alternative networks.
 Carbuncle.Tweeek
user: Tweeek
By Carbuncle.Tweeek 2011-06-01 13:54:39
Link | Quote | Reply

my wife yells at me for keeping all my electronic boxes, we just keep them in the garage both my ps3 boxes and other random crap
 Carbuncle.Ianpyst
user: ianpyst
By Carbuncle.Ianpyst 2011-06-01 13:55:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

The US Copyright Office exempted it and similar hardware/software mods from copyright considerations in July 2010, as long as your jailbreak is for the purpose of running alternative but legally-owned software.

They also made it legal to "unlock" cell phones and similar devices to run on alternative networks.

Jaerik ftw! :D
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2011-06-01 13:57:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

I thought I read that the jailbreaking thing only applies to like ... phones or handheld devices... or did I read it wrong when I saw it?
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-06-01 13:58:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

I ask how can the jailbreak be considered illegal if you're doing it for illegal purposes, that's doing nothing more than trying to add a crime for committing a crime?

Basically they need to stop focus on what's allowing them to commit a crime and focus on the crime itself (pirating). However after an argument with a pirate I know I can kind of understand Sony, because there's no helping him. He refuses to acknowledge that he's stealing and that it's wrong.

I mean I used to pirate, probably will download/watch something that I didn't pay for in the future too, but I don't try to defend it.

I have a lot of roms and copied discs, but interestingly enough 99% of the time I use an emulator I own the game and I want to use savestates or I'm playing the actual disc in the pc's drive.

I just don't see the point of view that full on pirating is ok.

If I had the money I'd buy the rest of the games that I had roms for too, but I don't...
 Cerberus.Kalyna
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Kalyna 2011-06-01 13:59:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

I thought I read that the jailbreaking thing only applies to like ... phones or handheld devices... or did I read it wrong when I saw it?
When I first heard it, I thought the same thing too. Didn't know it applied to every hardware device.
 Ifrit.Eikechi
Server: Ifrit
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2011-06-01 14:02:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for clarifying Jaerik. I honestly didn't know it was fully legal....Good to know I suppose lol
 Lakshmi.Galith
user: Galadriel
By Lakshmi.Galith 2011-06-01 14:03:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

I have yet to hear about anyone jail breaking a gaming system for something other than running games. People always try to defend hacking the ps3 because they want Linux back but, i think everyone knows that's a load of BS. I'd wager there's maybe 1% of the population who uses jail breaking a gaming system for something other than free games. I can understand the situation with hacking phones because the phone market is all about screwing the consumer and one sided contracts.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-06-01 14:11:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Galith said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

I have yet to hear about anyone jail breaking a gaming system for something other than running games. People always try to defend hacking the ps3 because they want Linux back but, i think everyone knows that's a load of BS. I'd wager there's maybe 1% of the population who uses jail breaking a gaming system for something other than free games. I can understand the situation with hacking phones because the phone market is all about screwing the consumer and one sided contracts.

I disagree, however there are people who write homebrew games and people want to play those on their console for whatever reason.

I tell you what, if somebody makes MKFusion available to play on a DS I'll hack that thing asap.

Personally I find hacking one's console is typically more trouble than it's worth. Then again sometimes I just enjoy the simplicity of buying a game, popping it in and having fun, without having to worry about configuring.
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-06-01 14:12:26
Link | Quote | Reply

My dad unlocks phones for a living. The only illegal thing is wiping the IMEI number and unbarring a phone that has been shut down.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2011-06-01 14:12:41
Link | Quote | Reply

My friend's hacked Wii gives me a headache. So many ISOs ; ;
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2011-06-01 14:13:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been thinking of hacking my wii, but I wouldn't know the first thing to do, nor do I want to risk screwing it up and destroying it :/
 Fenrir.Rinnsi
Server: Fenrir
user: Rinnsi
By Fenrir.Rinnsi 2011-06-01 14:16:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Haseyo said:
My friend's hacked Wii gives me a headache. So many ISOs ; ;
i only ever used my hacked wii to play EU games like Unlimited Cruise. or to "rent" games. not to mention, even if i own a game, im ISOing that ***, just becuase the load times are amazing.
So many "shovelware" games on Wii, how can they expect you not to try them before buying? >.>
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-06-01 14:17:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been thinking of hacking my wii, but I wouldn't know the first thing to do, nor do I want to risk screwing it up and destroying it :/

I'm told wii's are the easiest (or were) to hack.

I may try to hack one of the 360's that I'm going to fix soon.

I still need to fix my ps3, it's been sitting on my desk for days now left open, anyone know the voltages a 60gb model's psu should output? I'd like to check them.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2011-06-01 14:17:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Jet is right -- they only made the act of jailbreaking itself legal. If you do it to run alternative (legal) software, then a service provider / copyright holder like AT&T or Sony can't go after you for violating your contract with them.

If you jailbreak for the purpose of pirating or running illegal software though, you're still breaking the law. It's just that the law break happens further down the line. Your beef isn't with Sony/AT&T, but you still have one with the federal government.

It's like copying a key. Locksmiths can make copies of keys or break open locks legally. However, if you do it to your neighbors house and walk off with their television, then it's still illegal.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-06-01 14:19:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Jet is right -- they only made the act of jailbreaking itself legal. If you do it to run alternative (legal) software, then a service provider / copyright holder like AT&T or Sony can't go after you for violating your contract with them.

If you jailbreak for the purpose of pirating or running illegal software though, you're still breaking the law. It's just that the law break happens further down the line. Your beef isn't with Sony/AT&T, but you still have one with the federal government.

It's like copying a key. Locksmiths can make copies of keys or break open locks legally. However, if you do it to your neighbors house and walk off with their television, then it's still illegal.

Then why were they attempting to pursue this guy for doing this? did it have to do with their signing code? ( I didn't read into the full details)
 Fenrir.Rinnsi
Server: Fenrir
user: Rinnsi
By Fenrir.Rinnsi 2011-06-01 14:26:06
Link | Quote | Reply

the keys allowed people to sign ANYTHING. even ISOs. there was no way this wasn;'t going to be used for illegal activities, and wanted to strike it in the bud before it took off.
 Lakshmi.Galith
user: Galadriel
By Lakshmi.Galith 2011-06-01 14:27:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Lakshmi.Galith said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

I disagree, however there are people who write homebrew games and people want to play those on their console for whatever reason.

I tell you what, if somebody makes MKFusion available to play on a DS I'll hack that thing asap.

Personally I find hacking one's console is typically more trouble than it's worth. Then again sometimes I just enjoy the simplicity of buying a game, popping it in and having fun, without having to worry about configuring.

I'm not saying there isn't someone out there doing it to make overly complicated games. But the vast majority of people who download a homebrew are doing it for piracy not because they want access to program for a ps3.

Legal as it may be, I think it has really hurt the industry and hope they help define a legal solution as the laws retain a gray area in the legal code. It gets to the point where companies might as well just release games for free and then ask for donations because there's nothing keeping you from downloading a game for free other than morality.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2011-06-01 14:29:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Hacking a 360 isn't too bad from what I've heard, just don't go online with that ***, lol.

Wii's are pretty easy to hack, just one *** up and you can brick it easily as well.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-06-01 14:30:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Rinnsi said:
the keys allowed people to sign ANYTHING. even ISOs. there was no way this wasn;'t going to be used for illegal activities, and wanted to strike it in the bud before it took off.
so? implying that an iso needs signed to run is quite funny, you don't understand how it works do you?

That's like saying nobody should drive because there's no way people won't have accidents.

Seriously fight the actual problem.
 Cerberus.Asharen
Server: Cerberus
user: Asharen
By Cerberus.Asharen 2011-06-01 14:32:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I hate to say it but even with the exemption from Apple phones, there is not going to be any Federal protection to jail breaking PlayStation. That would just be naive and destructive.

"Computer programs that enable wireless telephone handsets to execute software applications, where circumvention is accomplished for the sole purpose of enabling interoperability of such applications, when they have been lawfully obtained, with computer programs on the telephone handset."

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-06-01 14:33:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Galith said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Lakshmi.Galith said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

I'm not saying there isn't someone out there doing it to make overly complicated games. But the vast majority of people who download a homebrew are doing it for piracy not because they want access to program for a ps3.

Legal as it may be, I think it has really hurt the industry and hope they help define a legal solution as the laws retain a gray area in the legal code. It gets to the point where companies might as well just release games for free and then ask for donations because there's nothing keeping you from downloading a game for free other than morality.

Homebrew helps the industry more than hurts it, what hurts the industry the most is to limit ideas because a few douchebags don't want to pay.

Considering the majority of consumers are too ignorant or lazy to hack their systems and the number of pirates is a small fraction.

There's no gray area in the legal code, it's pretty simple. People who pirate are committing crimes, not people who homebrew.