The reason for todays Maintenance
 Quetzalcoatl.Coder
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: coder
By Quetzalcoatl.Coder 2011-05-28 12:47:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Eburo said:
Takes my computer about 1 minutes to start...

Lol, even my smartphone starts up in less than 15 seconds.

They must be using the same servers from game release. (to be fair this would prove they're reliable servers.)

I'm not even...
[+]
 Pandemonium.Jadecc
Server: Pandemonium
user: jadecc
By Pandemonium.Jadecc 2011-05-28 12:48:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Memorial day in the US
 Cerberus.Zandra
Server: Cerberus
user: Zandra7
By Cerberus.Zandra 2011-05-28 13:01:29
Link | Quote | Reply

maint STILL?????!!?!?

enough is enough!!!!!
 Ragnarok.Ahiyam
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ahiyam
By Ragnarok.Ahiyam 2011-05-28 13:05:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Wenslydale said:
Sylph.Amfortas said:
Actually, the maintenance is so they can collect your money on Tuesday, since Monday is a holiday.........................

"I'd gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."

LOOOOOL the image of the robot chicken spoof on this keeps running through my head

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDLw2x03UmI

priceless
 Carbuncle.Deathhaven
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Deathhaven 2011-05-28 13:08:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Didgist said:
Sorry, i've been farming for 17 hours and I can't really see straight. Also my japanese is horrible and LS is freaking out about it.

That's an empyrean harp.

EDIT: Look above the horn that is equipped in the menu to the right.

What i been up for 24 hours farming. No excuses =>
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2011-05-28 13:19:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm pretty sure they upgraded their server hardware a couple of years back.
 Bismarck.Eburo
Server: Bismarck
user: Stephano
By Bismarck.Eburo 2011-05-28 13:26:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Cerelyn said:
Monday is a holiday?..

Yep. Got my paycheck 3 days early. :3

...and I didn't even know Monday was a holiday until then.

Quetzalcoatl.Coder said:
Bismarck.Eburo said:

They must be using the same servers from game release. (to be fair this would prove they're reliable servers.)

I'm not even...

Thanks for the contribution.
 Cerberus.Draupnir
user: Draupnir
By Cerberus.Draupnir 2011-05-28 13:40:46
Link | Quote | Reply

At the following time, a version update was performed on FINAL FANTASY XI.

[Date & Time]
May 28, 2011 at 11:30 (PDT)

[Affected Service]
- FINAL FANTASY XI

[Update Details]

- An issue wherein songs of the "Etude" type would not received the correct bonus from the "Augments Songs" effect granted by the Bard's Empyrean armor set has been addressed.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Coder
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: coder
By Quetzalcoatl.Coder 2011-05-28 17:46:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Eburo said:
Quetzalcoatl.Coder said:
Bismarck.Eburo said:

I'm not even...

No thanks for your's, you think that they run just one computer for all of FFXI? They have multiple servers, they only run a few zones on each server and when they restart they have to boot every server which boots every zone for every world. There is no comparison to how long it takes you to start your smartphone or PC.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Tuvae
user: Tuvae
By Ragnarok.Tuvae 2011-05-28 18:15:34
Link | Quote | Reply

So like, its windsday and message on this NM just said fire magic for proc >.>
 Phoenix.Kirana
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-05-28 18:19:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Tuvae said:
Friend of mine had an issue like this a while ago. Pulled hedjedjet on ninja and he got a fire magic reading when it obviously could not have been fire. However, after trying more magic on hed, the correct reading came up.
 Hades.Stefanos
Server: Hades
user: Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2011-05-28 18:29:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Kirana said:
Ragnarok.Tuvae said:
Friend of mine had an issue like this a while ago. Pulled hedjedjet on ninja and he got a fire magic reading when it obviously could not have been fire. However, after trying more magic on hed, the correct reading came up.

I had the same issue with Fuath last week a couple of times. Said the element was fire and it was on Lightsday.
 Cerberus.Quipto
user: Quipto
By Cerberus.Quipto 2011-05-28 18:45:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Stefanos said:
Phoenix.Kirana said:
Ragnarok.Tuvae said:

I had the same issue with Fuath last week a couple of times. Said the element was fire and it was on Lightsday.
Ive noticed it does this if you get a reading on the inital pull. I have several screenshots of me getting a hint for an element it could never be.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2011-05-28 18:56:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone who thinks a "server" in MMO user terms is actually a single, physical server that looks and acts like your home PC, is seriously fooling themselves. =)

In most MMO's from around the XI era, each zone is one or more physical blade machines controlled by one or more world servers, which are themselves dependent on additional servers for chat, authentication, trade, etc.

It's not uncommon for "a server" in user terms to be 50 or more physical boxes, many of which have to be brought up and launched in a certain order. Not in mass parallel all at once. An hour or more to "reboot the server," is therefore completely reasonable. Especially if any one of those restarts doesn't go precisely as planned and the whole thing has to be started over.

It's vanishingly unlikely that XI is still running on the same physical boxes as when it was launched, so the problem isn't hardware, but more likely, overall system architecture. It's the sheer size of the operation and the length of the checklist that has to go into it.

These days, more modern MMO's with higher engineering budgets architect themselves with the understanding (in hindsight) that certain types of patches are more common in industry operation than others, and that scope and breadth of the world will always grow with time. Thus, they're engineered so that different types of patches and different types of outages will only effect a minimal amount of servers with the least amount of downtime. It's even possible for some simple numbers or script-related fixes, like tweaks to item or combat stats, to be done without a reboot at all.

XI (and XIV, as it seems they didn't learn much) comes from an older era, and so the whole thing likely needs to be bounced in series every time there's an issue.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2011-05-28 19:13:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Anyone who thinks a "server" in MMO user terms is actually a single, physical server that looks and acts like your home PC, is seriously fooling themselves. =)

In most MMO's from around the XI era, each zone is one or more physical blade machines controlled by one or more world servers, which are themselves dependent on additional servers for chat, authentication, trade, etc.

It's not uncommon for "a server" in user terms to be 50 or more physical boxes, many of which have to be brought up and launched in a certain order. Not in mass parallel all at once. An hour or more to "reboot the server," is therefore completely reasonable. Especially if any one of those restarts doesn't go precisely as planned and the whole thing has to be started over.

It's vanishingly unlikely that XI is still running on the same physical boxes as when it was launched, so the problem isn't hardware, but more likely, overall system architecture. It's the sheer size of the operation and the length of the checklist that has to go into it.

These days, more modern MMO's with higher engineering budgets architect themselves with the understanding (in hindsight) that certain types of patches are more common in industry operation than others, and that scope and breadth of the world will always grow with time. Thus, they're engineered so that different types of patches and different types of outages will only effect a minimal amount of servers with the least amount of downtime. It's even possible for some simple numbers or script-related fixes, like tweaks to item or combat stats, to be done without a reboot at all.

XI (and XIV, as it seems they didn't learn much) comes from an older era, and so the whole thing likely needs to be bounced in series every time there's an issue.

This is why they should use virtual machines ^^
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2011-05-28 19:14:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
Is it better (cost, fix, electricity, etc) to have physical boxes for the long run in an MMO or the other way around?
"Other way around" being which alternative?
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2011-05-28 19:14:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Sekundes said:
Most modern MMO's do, but even virtual machines have to be "rebooted" one at a time if you've architected your system to have serial dependencies.

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2011-05-28 19:30:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Ragnarok.Sekundes said:
Most modern MMO's do, but even virtual machines have to be "rebooted" one at a time if you've architected your system to have serial dependencies.

I would be curious about how they have this stuff set up. I think a good amount of that time is for "ah ***we *** this up and now we need to fix it". Honestly not a bad thing to buffer for.

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Lightvision
By Cerberus.Lightvision 2011-05-28 21:36:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Windows NT Server is the best operating system ever
 Bismarck.Eburo
Server: Bismarck
user: Stephano
By Bismarck.Eburo 2011-05-28 22:08:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Coder said:
Bismarck.Eburo said:
Quetzalcoatl.Coder said:
Bismarck.Eburo said:

I'm not even...

No thanks for your's, you think that they run just one computer for all of FFXI? They have multiple servers, they only run a few zones on each server and when they restart they have to boot every server which boots every zone for every world. There is no comparison to how long it takes you to start your smartphone or PC.

I guess I should be lynched for assuming that each server was a single large machine to be powered on at once, since I've never worked in an office or bothered to learn about servers before.