Gaming Moments That Scared You
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Asura.Ceraphina
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Ceraphina
By Asura.Ceraphina 2011-04-26 11:25:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Ugh, I hated that "boss" fight. Mostly I have to say I hated the jelly-fish transformation stage because it takes for-freaking-ever to swim as a jellyfish to where you need to go.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2011-04-26 11:26:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Honorable mentions go to Ecco The Dolphin 1 & 2 for fear of undersea exploration and also because they're my favorite games.

True story. AMAZING games. Those games used to freak me out a bit too. From the first scene in the first one (if you've played it, you 100% know what I mean) and then the intense feeling of isolation/fear combined with the amazing and deeply affecting music was almost overwhelming.

This music immediately after a disaster when you're all alone (mostly) in a dangerous world. Completely unlike anything I'd faced so far when the worst that had happened in a game to that point was random animals being turned into robots like in Sonic (and Sonic never felt dangerous... Ecco felt like you were struggling to survive).

Amazing games.

I don't play horror games though cause I'm a pussy :(
 Ragnarok.Zanno
Server: Ragnarok
user: zanno
By Ragnarok.Zanno 2011-04-26 11:27:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Silent hill 1 scared the crap out of me many times.

For example

Asura.Ceraphina
user: Ceraphina
By Asura.Ceraphina 2011-04-26 11:34:02
Link | Quote | Reply

This is really what got me here.

GG Silent Hill. You freaked me the hell out in 8th grade and caught me off guard at what I thought at the time was a cliche part.
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2011-04-26 11:40:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Zuidar said:
it gets even worse with this
oh damn, I remember running into that "Samus" and caring the heck out of me, scary for a GBA game lol
you minded you own business, exploring, or walking off from a boss fight and BAM! It comes crashing in trying to kill you!
 Asura.Chuuuuu
user: chuuuuu
By Asura.Chuuuuu 2011-04-26 11:49:24
Link | Quote | Reply

i couldnt think where i got scared in a game but this is the closest i could get lol at 1:52 i wasnt scared but i was like "oh shiiii" the whole time and always gives me the chills xD

Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2011-04-26 11:57:55
Link | Quote | Reply

^ I second that Chuuuuuu!
 Alexander.Kewitt
Server: Alexander
user: ginger
By Alexander.Kewitt 2011-04-26 12:06:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Anytime I am walking along a clif when I am jumping in a 3d game make me sick and I feel like I'm about to pee my self.

The stupid http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Parradamo_Tor *** mission, Really pissed me off. I got sick and it took me nearly 2 hours to clib it because I had to keep walking away from the computer screen.

Now here is the odd thing. I'm not at all fearfull of hights and get no vertigo IRL, But in Video games I get sick and all the vertigo there in.

But FFXI when I finally did mission Cop Mission 8.4 5/6 of the party members are dead. 1 WHM without RR, Myself as a WHM RRed cast Raise on the NPC only to die about a second later. Before I could get RR back up and the other PC died. The NPC finished off and we won on a wipe it was great!

A note for my hubby, I was playing "The Calling" well talking to him on the phone and the voice comes over the wii remote, Next thing I hear is his cell phone breaking because he threw it a wall.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Server: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2011-04-26 13:13:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Do I have to pay child support if I get raped? D:
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-04-26 13:18:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Erm, lots of ***throughout FEAR 2, to date it's the only game to really make me jump, and it made me jump really hard a couple of times, I'd just be walking and all of the sudden something would be in my face hitting me...

Other than that, when I'm sniping in a FPS tucked away in a corner somewhere, and I get killed by anything other than another sniper, I usually jump. It's usually extremely quiet and peaceful where I'm at, minus the sound of my gun, if someone runs up on me and starts emptying a shotgun or an assault rifle on me it'll make me jump sometimes.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent is extremely creepy.. Nothing ever made me jump on it, but I was almost perpetually terrified to move. If I was in a room with no monsters, I just wanted to stay the hell there!
 Ragnarok.Akuji
Server: Ragnarok
user: Akujisan
By Ragnarok.Akuji 2011-04-26 13:33:17
Link | Quote | Reply

The beginning of Doom 3 was pretty creepy. Sneaking around with a flashlight sucked sooooooooo hard.
 Carbuncle.Kerokun
Server: Carbuncle
user: Kerokun
By Carbuncle.Kerokun 2011-04-26 13:40:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Quote:
Honorable mentions go to Ecco The Dolphin 1 & 2 for fear of undersea exploration and also because they're my favorite games.

True story. AMAZING games. Those games used to freak me out a bit too. From the first scene in the first one (if you've played it, you 100% know what I mean) and then the intense feeling of isolation/fear combined with the amazing and deeply affecting music was almost overwhelming.

This music immediately after a disaster when you're all alone (mostly) in a dangerous world. Completely unlike anything I'd faced so far when the worst that had happened in a game to that point was random animals being turned into robots like in Sonic (and Sonic never felt dangerous... Ecco felt like you were struggling to survive).

Amazing games.

I don't play horror games though cause I'm a pussy :(
I adore the Ecco games on Genesis. The key point of it all is the unknown--all that's told is what Ecco would have seen; people laugh at the beginning (the whirlpool that sweeps everyone but Ecco away) because it doesn't look like anything. Well, it's not supposed to be, like, "Here, player, EXPOSITION." The idea is that your friends and family vanished all of a sudden, and there was nothing you could do. Now you're alone in the ocean, a dangerous place. Should you stay? Or should you search for them?

Of course, the Sega CD music gives off that creepy vibe moreso. After the storm, when you find that you're all alone:

The track starts with the feeling of loneliness and brings out an idea of panic.

Actual spoiler for an old game that's still worth a play if you're interested:

There's a feeling of overwhelming fear in this piece and even a bit of rushing adrenaline.

I picked that game up on the Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection quite recently and was in love with the high difficulty and surprisingly dark story. ITZ GEWD
 Asura.Ina
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2011-04-26 13:41:12
Link | Quote | Reply

In Morrowind theres this one mine(?) where it's practicly pitch black without pumping up the brightness if i'm remembering it right... Nothing special in it but theres a bunch of the hound type things that randomly jump at you out of no where... made me jump more then once XD
 Cerberus.Eugene
Server: Cerberus
user: Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-04-26 13:45:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Amnesia: The Dark Descent.
The. entire. damn. game.

You play as Daniel, and you begin stumbling through the halls of a empty castle in a drugged state, trying to remember one thing, your name.

You then have to make your way through the castle, unraveling two timelines at once, your current journey and fight for survival, and everything that you forgot that led you up to your current predicament.

Oh, and the entire time your sanity is slowly (and sometimes quickly) bleeding away. The only means of restoring sanity is to progress, the only means of slowing sanity loss is a limited supply of lamp oil and tinderboxes.

You have no weapons, you cannot fight a single monster in the game, you have to run and hide. And monsters drain sanity faster, so if you get too close you can find yourself stumbling, tripping and falling down the hallway as you're trying to make an escape from a monster that is faster than you.

And the game isn't built around cheap shocks, its built around developing an atmosphere of helplessness, and then letting you do your very best to survive.

The first minute is just building the atmosphere, the following two minutes are where the meat of the fear is. And notice where the table is at the end, the monsters are strong enough to do that. If the monsters catch you it's one, maybe two hits til your dead, no slow chipping away at your health.

Leviathan.Alkalinejoe
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Alkalinejoe 2011-04-26 13:47:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Quiznor said:
That one part in Resident Evil 2 when you go into an interrogation room,pick up something off the table and a licker jumps through the 2 way mirror.Possibly the scariest moment in gaming ever
I also hate the part once you enter the Police Station for the first time and when you're walking down the hallway to the right you see a shadow of a licker pass by.

Also the part where you're walking down the hallway on the east side of the first floor of the Spencer Mansion in RE1, and the windows crack every so slightly.

It's the subtle things that get me lol
 Kujata.Daus
Server: Kujata
user: Daus
By Kujata.Daus 2011-04-26 13:49:11
Link | Quote | Reply

That fricken butler in Tomb Raider...I dont know who's video this is but I used to lock him in the freezer too.

Bongo Bongo scared the crap out of me...Actually..I couldnt do like..any of the bosses in this game. I cant think well when things are chasing after me trying to scare me...and those evil hand wall monster things that fall from the ceiling and take you back to the beginning of wherever scared me too...

I didnt play many purposefully scary games though because I cant handle it well.

PS

I never got past the water levels.
[+]
 Cerberus.Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-04-26 14:13:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Bartimaeus said:
Btw.. I'm gonna look at Amnesia sometime..

and if it's not as scary as all you *** hype it up to be I'm going to come back bitching you're all pussies.

Mostly because I KEEP hearing how "OMG SCARY" it is. So it better be. lol

I don't get scared by video games much, occasionally shocked. But if you really do your best to follow the game's advice, wear headphones, turn off all the lights, turn down the brightness, and play alone. If you do all that and really throw yourself into the story, there are points where the game really gets to you.

What's great is it's an indie studio, you can get the game on steam for $20(cheaper if you catch a sale). It's no technological marvel(the company can't afford all the fancy engines), but it shows you what you can do with great atmosphere, storytelling, and attention to detail.
 Phoenix.Ingraham
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Ingraham 2011-04-26 14:39:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I remember playing Battletanx: Global Assault and finishing the game. It froze up on the ending CG still where it zooms up on the lifeless corpse of the antagonist. Her eyes rolled back, mouth agape etc.

that was hilariously uncomfortable, especially because it was supposed to be a "HECK YEAH YOU BEAT THE GAME GOOD JOB" moment.
 Cerberus.Lynde
user: Pkmnmastr
By Cerberus.Lynde 2011-04-26 14:51:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I remember this one scene... My friend and I were playing Resident Evil 4. And right before this boss, my friend decided to shoot the fish in the water for the hell of it. After about 10 seconds, the boss jumped out of the lake and swallowed him whole. It scared the ***out of both of us because we didnt expect it.

Anyone remember that boss? XD
 Sylph.Zohnax
Server: Sylph
user: Baelfael
By Sylph.Zohnax 2011-04-26 15:05:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Alkalinejoe said:
Sylph.Quiznor said:
That one part in Resident Evil 2 when you go into an interrogation room,pick up something off the table and a licker jumps through the 2 way mirror.Possibly the scariest moment in gaming ever
I also hate the part once you enter the Police Station for the first time and when you're walking down the hallway to the right you see a shadow of a licker pass by.

Also the part where you're walking down the hallway on the east side of the first floor of the Spencer Mansion in RE1, and the windows crack every so slightly.

It's the subtle things that get me lol
Moment that always made me jump in RE2 was the one room where you had to light the three candle things in a certain order and right as you walk away... BOOOM! giant bald guy comes bursting through the wall with an extra volume added to the sound.
By Artemicion 2011-04-26 15:08:06
Link | Quote | Reply

It's interesting to see everyone's subjective view on what is and is not scary. However, I was aiming particularly to a lingering sense of dread more so than a sudden and horrifying occurrence which are plentiful in most survival/horror games these days.

It isn't too difficult to make a scary bloodthirsty monster appear out of nowhere, but to legitimately paralyze you in fear with a gut-wrenching sense of anticipation and hesitation to proceed, now that takes talent.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2011-04-26 15:24:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Not being able to enter my mantras on faxanadu.

the horror
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2011-04-26 15:53:27
Link | Quote | Reply

The first boss in the Dark World in Link's Awakening on the SNES. *** masked scorpion. Before I turned 7, and finally beat him myself, I always would try, heart racing and die. Then I'd have to get my oldest brother to do it for me.

The remake of RE1 on the Gamecube. I was first playing it at a friend's house in Black and white, because his TV *** up. It was midnight we were all watching me play. Like 6 guys, eyes glued into the TV. Went down that hallway as Jill after getting the shotgun. First zombie dog to bust through the window literally made me jump out of my chair into the air, and my friend pissed his pants.

Bongo Bongo and the Shadow temple in Ocarina of Time really psyched me out at age 8. Bongo Bongo is the only thing in that game that has ever killed me for that reason.

The guy with the gun in Bushido Blade. So hard to beat the *** honorablely, plus I always felt like the battle was a hopeless cause as he usually just shoots you dead right after he finishes his dialogue. Stupid backflipping ***.

Oh yeah, the last one that comes to mind atm is the 3rd dungeon boss in Twilight Princess. I played it on a really dark TV that I could not adjust, so it looked like I was fighting that monsterous sea serpent thing in utter blackness. Couldn't see the walls, could barely see the sand. If the Zora armor didn't glow a tad bit then I wouldn't of been able to see Link either. Freaked me out.
 Alexander.Jukie
Server: Alexander
user: Jukie
By Alexander.Jukie 2011-04-26 16:13:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Silent Hill 2 - finding the blood trail on the road for the first time
Fatal Frame 2 - the woman in the box

Since I noticed someone posted Shadow of the Colossus (and I love any opportunity to talk about that game) the little colossus really scared me.
 Cerberus.Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-04-26 16:18:11
Link | Quote | Reply

The fatal frames did a good job of building atmosphere too
 Caitsith.Linear
Server: Caitsith
By Caitsith.Linear 2011-04-26 17:24:10
Link | Quote | Reply

First: The first boss, Castoth, in Illusion of Gaia. The music and how terrifying he looks (I was like, 4 or 5 at the time) made me pretty much incapable of coming up with a plan and made defeating him impossible for me until I was 9ish. By then, none of the other bosses were as scary as they would have been.

Next: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. As kid Link, the Stalchildren that appear at night scared me, and it'd takes ages for me to willingly leave a town. And I pretty much never got the Sun Song because re-dead scared the living ***out of me. The Well and the Forest and Shadow Temples were terrifying. Dead Hands are by far the creepiest monsters from the series.

Finally: The entire Silent Hill 2 game. Especially everything involved around The Labyrinth. If you don't know what that is, it's a segment near the end of the game where a lot of crazy ***happens, and the game is hell bent on confusing and tricking you. Including throwing a spear toting Pyramid Head at you while you try to work your way through a maze-like section. A few puzzles, including my favorite from the game: The Hanged Man. And a LOT of symbolic hole jumping. Not to mention the chilling cemetary sectiona nd the fight against a mentally unhinged Eddie Dombrowski. Oh, and you find out why Angela acts like she does, which is pretty sickening IMO.
 Bahamut.Wakabo
Server: Bahamut
user: Wakabo
By Bahamut.Wakabo 2011-04-26 17:36:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
logging into mordion gaol for the first time
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-04-26 17:41:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Wakabo said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
logging into mordion gaol for the first time
lol i knew my gaol visit was coming. people from the incident kept disappearing one at a time.