What was seen cannot be unseen D:
[+]
 Lakshmi.Seoha
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Mameshiba
By Lakshmi.Seoha 2011-04-26 08:33:34
Link | Quote | Reply

The whole Dead Space and Fatal Frame experience was very ... frightening for me.
Dead Space not so much after ... a while. But whenever I play Fatal Frame (2 and 3 more specifically) I still have some jumps here and there...
 Shiva.Moogleking
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Moogleking 2011-04-26 08:38:47
Link | Quote | Reply

The Resident Evil games and Dead Space.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-04-26 08:45:46
Link | Quote | Reply

The entirety of Silent Hill 2 was unsettling.

Pretty much any Dungeon in Morrowind with water. Even with a water breathing spell, the thought of diving blindly into a watercave is terrifying.

There was a world in Mario 64 that was, and I have no idea why, so uncomfortable to be in. I can't remember the name so I can't youtube it. If I had to describe it, it was "Partially Submerged Industrial"

A lot of the Level design and world art in Doom 64 were just *** creepy, but in Particular, "Outpost Omega" captures that classic Claustrophobic, hopeless and mysterious sense better than any other.

And yeah, I'm that oldschool of a "Console shooter yuppie" actually a bit older, my first FPS was the Doom Port on the 32x. You know, that monstrosity you plug into the Sega Genesis, that had like 2 good games, one being Doom, the other Being Star Wars Arcade.
 Ramuh.Kalyna
Server: Ramuh
By Ramuh.Kalyna 2011-04-26 08:47:40
Link | Quote | Reply

One scary moment is doing Dynamis with Rowland, Krizz, and many other people on Ramuh and getting MPKed because of a certain SMN afking and their pets agroed.

(I have to post under this name so people understand I was on Ramuh)
[+]
 Phoenix.Kirana
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-04-26 08:49:00
Link | Quote | Reply

For the first few chapters of dead space I was legitimately scared, especially the very beginning, being chased down the hallway and into the elevator. However, later on in the game I got used to it and lost the serious feeling.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-04-26 08:51:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Rather than just listing off the obvious ones like Silent Hill and RE I'll post a few games that weren't necessarily supposed to be scary but still seriously unsettled me.

Ecco the Dolphin - Megadrive
Shadow of the beast - Megadrive
Body Harvest - N64
Doom 64 - N64
I have no mouth and I must scream (Particularly Gorristers or Benny's scenario) - PC
Penumbra - PC

I'm a gigantic wimp too though.
[+]
 Odin.Headstrong
By Odin.Headstrong 2011-04-26 08:52:07
Link | Quote | Reply

silent hill 1 in the school when you go into one of those bathrooms upstairs and theres that noise coming from the sink.. ><
also everytime the nemesis showed up in RE3.. god i hated that thing so much..

and i kinda want to play this again now <.<

Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-04-26 08:53:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh and the scariest moment from RE is probably seeing Nemesis appearing, but really wanting to kill him so you can upgrade weapons.
 Cerberus.Kaht
Server: Cerberus
user: kaht
By Cerberus.Kaht 2011-04-26 09:05:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm giving away my age here, but I remember being 10 years old and renting this game on the weekend. My family had all gone to bed and I was staying up late playing my NES with all the lights off.

I let my imagination run wild I guess, but I coulda swore that I heard a quiet track in the background that sounded like kids voices singing along with the theme, all high-chant style. That's one vivid imagination to be able to hear voices while listening to a NES audio track.

It really creeped me out.

The game and the music? None other than:

Fenrir.Enternius
Server: Fenrir
user: Enternius
By Fenrir.Enternius 2011-04-26 09:07:15
Link | Quote | Reply

In terms of pure scariness, I have to give it to Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

I'm the kind of person that can sit through any new Resident Evil, Silent Hill, or Dead Space game and not be genuinely scared at all, but rather just startled.

I played through every Fatal Frame game with only a few jumps here and there, but never scared so badly that I didn't want to continue.

In Amnesia, I run into that feeling once every area, easily. From being forced to sprint down narrow hallways with an invisible enemy following you, to being in a dungeon so dark you can't see 3 feet in front of you, every part of the game is just a terrifying new chapter that I want to push through to see the next amusing way they want to scare me. Only issue is that very frequently, I get scared so badly I cannot continue playing until a few days have gone by and that scare has worn off.

Remember that bear in Condemned 2? Imagine that fear tripled and then injected every hour or so into a game where you have no weapons and no means of defending yourself short of like throwing barrels to stagger the enemies for 1 second to give you a chance to run.

If that's not enough, enemies run faster than you. If you're seen, you're almost going to get killed so you'll do anything it takes to NOT get caught, whether that be slowly rounding every corner and using the peek feature to avoid being scared, or not ever using your lantern because that increases the chances of being seen. And even then, some enemies are scripted to appear behind you when you turn around.

I consider myself a connoisseur of scary games and I still, after like two years, have not gotten the nerve to finish this game.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-04-26 09:12:09
Link | Quote | Reply

That's odd that you like Amnesia's brand of horror, but not Silent Hill (1-3), since they are actually almost identical. Silent Hill up until they started throwing Pyramid Head in out of context, never actually relied on cheap Startles like Resident Evil and Dead Space.

Unless you were just referring to the new American ones. Then, well, yah. They all Remind me of that scene in Independence Day, where the alien comes out of the smoke and smashes against the safety glass. Jump every goddamn time, but all it does is piss me off.
 Fenrir.Enternius
Server: Fenrir
user: Enternius
By Fenrir.Enternius 2011-04-26 09:15:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I never said I didn't like Silent Hill. I loved almost the whole series, I just didn't get scared in it at the same level as I did in Amnesia. In Silent Hill there's a feeling like, no matter what it is that's ahead you'll be able to hit it or shoot it a few times and it'll die. That's just not an option in Amnesia. The only solution is to not run into it in the first place.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-04-26 09:21:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Silent hill 2 had a few moments, mainly because Pyramid head was unstoppable at the early parts of the game.

Also when you explore the hotel for the first time in SH2.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2011-04-26 09:26:24
Link | Quote | Reply

logging into mordion gaol for the first time
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-04-26 09:26:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't comment on Amnesia, haven't played it, but I always felt like the gunplay in Silent Hill was an intentional joke. Like it was there to give you a false sense of security, and when you go for it, you realize just how *** you are.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-04-26 09:38:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
I can't comment on Amnesia, haven't played it, but I always felt like the gunplay in Silent Hill was an intentional joke. Like it was there to give you a false sense of security, and when you go for it, you realize just how *** you are.
yeah I felt the same. Battling with the clunky gunplay controls was probably one of the scariest aspects. You felt like someone with very limited firearm knowledge rather than Rambo lol.
 Siren.Demetreos
Server: Siren
user: Riggy
By Siren.Demetreos 2011-04-26 09:51:13
Link | Quote | Reply

All of Silent Hill 2. Especially James' voice acting.

Eternal Darkness on the GC had some genuinely creepy moments too.
 Siren.Demetreos
Server: Siren
user: Riggy
By Siren.Demetreos 2011-04-26 09:53:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Just saw the undelete button, nvm - lol.
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2011-04-26 09:54:33
Link | Quote | Reply

dont play many survival/scary games, but I do remember Resident Evil (Gamecube) screwing me, especially when the Lickers are released.

I know there have been ocations I have been scared in a game, but just cant seem to recall any other than that.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-04-26 09:58:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Eternal Darkness broke down the 4th wall better than any game in my memory.

It wasn't so much an atmospheric scary like the Silent Hills, but more like mindfuckery.
 Sylph.Aegisbushido
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Aegisbushido 2011-04-26 10:07:01
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXIigPKJehk

this it just scared the hell out of me when i was younger playing this
 Shiva.Durtiesweat
user: Durtie
By Shiva.Durtiesweat 2011-04-26 10:19:05
Link | Quote | Reply

My reputation preceded me... but against all odds I completed Ninja Gaiden in less than 30 minutes w/o a continue in front of 10 complete strangers on a dare. And that was the day I lost all fear.
[+]
 Asura.Astroglide
Server: Asura
By Asura.Astroglide 2011-04-26 10:23:44
Link | Quote | Reply

sweethome for the nes was pretty scary it was all about the music
 Asura.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
user: dameshi
By Asura.Dameshi 2011-04-26 10:27:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone ever play Deja Vu on NES?That image with the creepy *** music that played... it was like that face was just staring into my very soul.

Then of course you had the random muggers, the fact that there were so many ways to kill yourself at any point in time, and the fact that all the scenery in the game combined with the music just gave me the creeps.

I mean come on, the (actual game spoiler)
 Bismarck.Zuidar
user: Radiuz
By Bismarck.Zuidar 2011-04-26 11:09:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Who remembers this scary face. The first time I played this I was so scared I couldn't advance even further in the game for days because of this

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Ceraphina
user: Ceraphina
By Asura.Ceraphina 2011-04-26 11:15:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd have to say Fatal Frame 2. Abadox on the NES scared the hell out of me as a child, as did Alien Syndrome. I remember being scared just looking at the arcade cabinet.

I played through Amnesia because it was suggested to me and I found it quite boring. The build up was great, but after you actually see the monster once or twice it kind of looks pretty silly (like most monster related themes.) I did find Yahtzee's Chzo mythos series to be genuinely weird/disturbing and surreal. Not going to mention the Silent Hill 1 - 3 since it's already well talked about here.

A few other off the wall games that I found weird/creepy:
The Suffering (I like to pretend there is no sequel)

Silent Hill 4 (Often overlooked since it was never originally intended to be a silent hill game and it shows, but it has great music and insane atmosphere)

Siren (holy hell, this game is just weird and creepy and VERY japanese)

Ao Oni (RPG maker-made game, genuinely weird/creepy, but a fun ride)

Yume Nikki (Shame on you if you don't know what Yume Nikki is. No seriously. Go look it up. Here, I'll save you the trouble. http://www.theneitherworld.com/yumenikki/links.htm Download the English version. You'll thank me for playing this.)

Heart of Darkness (Weird on the sense that it's very cartoony but gorgeous graphics and details make this...very unsettling.)

Clock Tower 1 & 2 (1 is on the SNES, a fan translated version exists. 2 is the PS10 version, called just Regular Clock Tower in the U.S. You will always remember that sound of those Sheers while being chased. Ka-shink. Ka-shink..)

And lastly, since I'm not entirely awake right now and can't remember too much..

Fear Effect! (Yes, both of them. Great games, decent voice acting, great graphics for it's time but a little dated.)

Honorable mentions go to Ecco The Dolphin 1 & 2 for fear of undersea exploration and also because they're my favorite games.

Bismarck.Zuidar
user: Radiuz
By Bismarck.Zuidar 2011-04-26 11:15:20
Link | Quote | Reply

it gets even worse with this

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.