Mattress Firm Refuses To Sell To Muslim Woman

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Mattress Firm Refuses To Sell To Muslim Woman
Mattress Firm Refuses To Sell To Muslim Woman
First Page 2 3 ... 13 14 15 ... 17 18 19
By Artemicion 2011-04-17 14:07:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Business owners have the right to refuse service or sales to anyone for any reason they deem fit. Even if it is absolutely HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.
 Ifrit.Arawn
Server: Ifrit
Game: FFXI
user: Arawn
By Ifrit.Arawn 2011-04-17 14:09:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Elanabelle said:
zahrah said:
Bismarck.Elanabelle said:
Fairy.Spence said:
Y'know Elana, despite all the petty arguments you get into, I don't know why people think you're unintelligent.

Pray-tell, Spence, what exactly about my posts here has been "unintelligent"?

Christ! It was a compliment! Take it! Don't start in on Spence now.

By the way, I think I'm going to book a flight to Saudi Arabia. What do I need to pack? Western clothes and maybe my confirmation cross to top it off (if I can find it)? They're just as tolerant as the West, right? Well, no worries about coming back in a body bag then.

Anyway, can anyone spare some armor? I need something that can withstand a barrage of stones.

You're right Zahrah; it was a compliment. I just didn't interpret it as one initially. Spence and I talked it over via PM's, and he said he understood how I could have misinterpreted his wording, and I now recognize what he intended.
In hindsight, thanks Spence!

Regarding your need for armor to avoid a stoning, I doubt you'd get stoned unless you did something totally blasphemous. However, you may need to be on the lookout for shoes.

You dont really have to worry about Saudi Arabia. Saudi Arabia is about as western friendly as it gets. If you wanted to get stoned you should travel back in time to pre-invasion afghanistan and sleep with a widowed woman. You both would likely be stoned if you even got as far as sleeping with her.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2011-04-17 14:31:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:
Business owners have the right to refuse service or sales to anyone for any reason they deem fit. Even if it is absolutely HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.

No they don't lol I really don't know why everyone believes this, it's just not true.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Ifrit.Arawn
user: Arawn
By Ifrit.Arawn 2011-04-17 14:42:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou said:
Artemicion said:

No they don't lol I really don't know why everyone believes this, it's just not true.

Actually, they do. They can refuse to serve anyone. They can also be hit with lawsuits for discrimination if they don't apply the reason to everyone equally or if the reason is such that its discrimination. Still, they CAN refuse to serve anyone. There are just repercussions sometimes ^^
By Artemicion 2011-04-17 14:42:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:

The legalities depend on their documented reason. Which can easily be lied about or made into some sort of facade to guise their true intentions of denying service to a patron.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2011-04-17 17:25:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:
Artemicion said:

The legalities depend on their documented reason.

lol which is exactly what it means to not have the right to refuse service or sales to anyone for any reason they deem fit. /cross-eyes
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-17 17:29:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:
Artemicion said:
The legalities depend on their documented reason.
lol which is exactly what it means to not have the right to refuse service or sales to anyone for any reason they deem fit. /cross-eyes
Except the documentation rarely follows reality exactly
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-17 17:32:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
No, I'm saying freedom of choice means enjoying a different understanding of modesty if they so choose, and dressing in a way that you find oppressive if they so choose, or doing any other number of things that fly against your culture norms, because your culture norms are completely freakin' irrelevant. Freedom of choice means not being fined $200 and potentially facing jailtime because you want to wear your religious outfit even though you live in a country that perceives your dress-code as an affront to freedom -- the ultimate irony of all. Telling women how they should dress and behave is wrong whoevers' doing it, whether it's Captain Whitey the Heroic or Muslim Husband of Fail.
Once again you are putting words in my mouth. I said them being forced to wear it is oppressive. Read more argue less.
No, you said Islam was oppressive,
Read more argue less. Argueing things people never said just makes you look like an idiot

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Tunafests
Server: Phoenix
user: Tunafests
By Phoenix.Tunafests 2011-04-17 17:45:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
How is them wearing a burka oppressing to anyone else lol?

Ofc that is adding in the person actually wearing the burka feels oppressed, which mind you they don't, but for the sake of the question we'll assume so.

If you grew up brainwashed into that culture you would be proud to wear a burka. It doesn't change the fact that it's a disgusting custom.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-17 17:55:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
How is them wearing a burka oppressing to anyone else lol?

Ofc that is adding in the person actually wearing the burka feels oppressed, which mind you they don't, but for the sake of the question we'll assume so.
It's the whole forcing them to use it.

And actually their feelings or anyones for that matter are irrelevant and have nothing to do with oppression.
 Phoenix.Tunafests
By Phoenix.Tunafests 2011-04-17 17:55:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
Phoenix.Tunafests said:
If you grew up brainwashed into that culture you would be disgusted to wear a burka.
Ooooooh, makes sense now.

being "brainwashed" into believing in equality for all cannot be compared to being brainwashed into thinking an entire class of human beings is subordinate to another.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Phoenix.Tunafests
By Phoenix.Tunafests 2011-04-17 17:59:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
Phoenix.Tunafests said:
Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
Phoenix.Tunafests said:
If you grew up brainwashed into that culture you would be disgusted to wear a burka.
being "brainwashed" into believing in equality for all cannot be compared to being brainwashed into thinking an entire class of human beings is subordinate to another.
Don't believe everything you see on TV kid, then you can become competent too.

I would urge you to take your own advice.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Tunafests
By Phoenix.Tunafests 2011-04-17 18:07:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
Phoenix.Tunafests said:
Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
Phoenix.Tunafests said:
Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
Phoenix.Tunafests said:
Don't believe everything you see on TV kid, then you can become competent too.
I would urge you to do the same.
I've opened my mind to accepting everything to/from everyone across the globe for a very long time now lol.

And? The point is, the fact that they don't view it as oppressive in their own culture has little to no bearing on how oppressive an act it is.
[+]
Server: Siren
By Siren.Flunklesnarkin 2011-04-17 18:16:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I think a lot of the angry people in this thread want / desire laws that force business owners to serve people they don't want too.

Government discrimination (burka law etc) bad

business discrimination (although HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE) should be their right.

I believe businesses should be allowed to serve whoever they decide too and deny service in the same way.

If a shop uses such abhorrent methods of service a community can always shun them.. no need to spend millions of dollars/euros / w/e fighting HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE court cases...

bawww they didn't sell me a matress Q.Q .. just go to a different store.. their loss lol

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Silvaria
Server: Asura
By Asura.Silvaria 2011-04-17 19:00:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow...I go to bed, go to one of my jobs, eat dinner, and this thread is still going, lol...

I have nothing new to add, but I found this amusing:

Bahamut.Dasva said:

Read more argue less. Argueing things people never said just makes you look like an idiot

You may want to take your own advice, considering you said this to me last night:

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Asura.Silvaria said:
Kanjirou, thank you for joining this thread...finally, someone else able to see that when it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and sounds like a duck, it's a *** duck...
ITT only people that agree with me are worth joining this thread

Thanking someone for joining a thread and adding to your point of view has never automatically implied, "WAH! ONLY PEOPLE WHO AGREE WITH ME SHOULD POST HERE!", and your stating it as fact was leaping to a very bizarre and dumb conclusion, and kind of makes you look, well..I don't want to say, "idiot", because I don't resort to ad hominems, but...it sure doesn't appear you thought it through before saying it.

Just for future reference, if you're going to make accusations like that, you should actually have something to back it up, such as a quote from me saying, "If you don't agree with me, you're not worth posting here."

But we both know you can't come up with that, lol...so your -assumption- was utterly erroneous and did nothing to contribute to the discussion in a productive manner. However, by then I realized I was just starting to be attacked for anything I said, so, it rolled right off. ^,^

In any case, after reading through the new posts, I still personally believe that the manager acted out of racial and/or religious discrimination, but I certainly respect the opinions of those who believe otherwise. I guess none of us will ever actually know the truth.

And with that, I'm out of here...thanks to everyone for posting, whether we agreed or disagreed...lively discussion is what makes Internet forums go 'round. 8)
 Phoenix.Tunafests
By Phoenix.Tunafests 2011-04-17 19:29:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
\
Oppression is mutual, stop pulling stuff out your ***.

If you're racist then stay consistent and say so, if you're not then accept things for what they are and move on.

Dude, oppression is mutual? Is that a prerequisite? What rule book did you get this from?

Basically, your argument is that as long as these women don't feel oppressed by being forced to wear a burka, it should be a tolerated social practice, and anyone who does not tolerate it is considered racist.

Anyone can be conditioned from birth to believe any damn thing someone wants, and to believe it's the best route for them. There are women in some societies who willingly undergo female genital mutilation because they've been convinced that it is what is best for them. Just because they don't realize it's wrong doesn't make it any less wrong.
Server: Siren
By Siren.Flunklesnarkin 2011-04-17 19:37:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Tunafests said:
Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
\
Oppression is mutual, stop pulling stuff out your ***.

If you're racist then stay consistent and say so, if you're not then accept things for what they are and move on.

Dude, oppression is mutual? Is that a prerequisite? What rule book did you get this from?

Basically, your argument is that as long as these women don't feel oppressed by being forced to wear a burka, it should be a tolerated social practice, and anyone who does not tolerate it is considered racist.

Anyone can be conditioned from birth to believe any damn thing someone wants, and to believe it's the best route for them. There are women in some societies who willingly undergo female genital mutilation because they've been convinced that it is what is best for them. Just because they don't realize it's wrong doesn't make it any less wrong.

Not with all this again..

I'm sure muslim's feel the same way about male circumcisions

As for burka's, it's religious clothing.. if they want to wear it let them...

as long as there aren't armed gangs of muslim's running around forcibly putting burka's on people i don't see the problem.

Would you feel the same way about christian parents forcing their children to wear crosses?
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-17 19:42:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Silvaria said:
but I found this amusing:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
You may want to take your own advice, considering you said this to me last night:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Asura.Silvaria said:
Kanjirou, thank you for joining this thread...finally, someone else able to see that when it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and sounds like a duck, it's a *** duck...
ITT only people that agree with me are worth joining this thread

+lots of wall of text repeating myself
Completely different. I didn't say you said that I merely said that's what you were doing/thinking. Big difference. Nice attempt try again.

You were thanking a guy for joining a thread for agreeing with you. Pure and simple
 Leviathan.Angelskiss
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Angelskiss 2011-04-17 19:57:39
Link | Quote | Reply

So much hate in this thread...

over clothing :(
[+]
 Bismarck.Maxse
Server: Bismarck
user: maxse
By Bismarck.Maxse 2011-04-17 20:07:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I once went into an Ashley's furniture store wearing a speedo and they refused me service ;(. They are racists.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-17 20:12:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Maxse said:
I once went into an Ashley's furniture store wearing a speedo and they refused me service ;(. They are racists.
One time my local radio station dared a guy to go to a denny's just wearing a shirt shoes and the radio stations bumper stickers strategically placed by there female interns for concert tickets. He did it and of course got refused service. Was kinda funny cause I guess they called the cops... and turns out there were cops already there when I left. Then they talk to the cops and turns out he was a listener trying to find the dennys so he could see it for himself
 Hades.Stefanos
Server: Hades
user: Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2011-04-17 20:19:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Angelskiss said:
So much hate in this thread...

over clothing :(

I found something funny related to this piece of clothing. If this got posted already, oh well, it's funny enough to be posted again.

Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2011-04-17 20:36:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Good, dont sell them mattresses. Maybe they'll get so cranky that they might make their bomb wrong and blow themselves up.
First Page 2 3 ... 13 14 15 ... 17 18 19