Sirocco Kukri... Mainhand or Offhand
 Remora.Narrubia
Server: Remora
Game: FFXI
user: Narrubia
By Remora.Narrubia 2009-03-23 05:26:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Sketchkat said:
It's remarkable(not in a good way, however) that people have managed to turn a fantasy rpg into nothing more than a series of math equations. Kinda sucks the fun out of it, don't you think?

And yes, of course I know the game was created using said equations..but, come on.

Agreed, yet at the same time it's a video game. It won't do much good to complain about it here, because most of the people on these threads, and who play the game, are in it for the video game part and not the role-playing part.
 Shiva.Artemicion
Server: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-03-23 13:30:29
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Look at it this way:

Nothing is perfectly set in stone as to what is the "best" or "perfect" setup. Everyone plays with what works for them. Figuring out how things work alow you to build that setup on your own, and it will never be the same for every individual.

I think all the different calculations, formulas and wide range and variety in gear for each slot gives us a much better chance to be unique and have fun than cookie cutter builds like in other MMOs I see. *cough* >.>
 Asura.Lordgenbu
Server: Asura
user: Lordgenbu
By Asura.Lordgenbu 2009-03-23 14:24:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't ever main hand Sirroco Kukri, THF is like my favorite job.
 Shiva.Clowdd
By Shiva.Clowdd 2009-03-23 14:39:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Lordgenbu said:

What I told this thf ... he/she called me dumb /sigh told him/her to check out this thread now I got /blisted lol
Said i was an *** for starting thread told him/her no names were mentioned just thread made & im now told to quit thf cuz i started this thread. gotta <3 the E-Thugs >.<
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-03-23 14:40:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Lordgenbu is an amazing name.
 Remora.Narrubia
Server: Remora
user: Narrubia
By Remora.Narrubia 2009-03-23 14:48:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Clowdd said:
Lordgenbu said:

What I told this thf ... he/she called me dumb /sigh told him/her to check out this thread now I got /blisted lol
Said i was an *** for starting thread told him/her no names were mentioned just thread made & im now told to quit thf cuz i started this thread. gotta <3 the E-Thugs >.<

You should mention their name now, so we can all transfer to Shiva and harass them.
 Shiva.Whitejune
user: Whitejune
By Shiva.Whitejune 2009-03-23 15:15:20
Link | Quote | Reply

You should all move to shiva, all we have here are mules and bazaars. Jeuno has become one big shopping mall and we need some people to party with.

I do know what Clowdd is talking about. the person got mad cuz Clowdd gave person ToD to Kreutzet and he/she prolly didn't wait long enough for it to pop. Now on some kind of vengance i guess >.>

I think he made this thread cuz person not gonna take his word for it, so see what the rest of the FFXI playing people have to say about it.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-03-23 15:55:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Sketchkat said:
It's remarkable(not in a good way, however) that people have managed to turn a fantasy rpg into nothing more than a series of math equations. Kinda sucks the fun out of it, don't you think?

And yes, of course I know the game was created using said equations..but, come on.

MMO's have different things for different people. I started playing way too late to have any hand in figuring out this kind of stuff, but I enjoy analyzing a game almost as much as I enjoy actually playing the game. Finding the ideal setup for a certain situation given what I have to work with is fun to me.
 Valefor.Sketchkat
Server: Valefor
user: sketchkat
By Valefor.Sketchkat 2009-03-23 15:58:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:

I think all the different calculations, formulas and wide range and variety in gear for each slot gives us a much better chance to be unique and have fun than cookie cutter builds like in other MMOs I see. *cough* >.>

That's very true, the variety of gear(as well as the job system) puts every other mmo to shame, but what gets to me is that some people have picked everything apart to such an extent with these calculations that you're laughed at if you don't have the "right" piece of gear for each slot. And what's the point of having such a variety if only 1 or 2 for each slot is considered to be any good?

Anyway, my point is that some people take this game waaay too seriously, lol.
 Shiva.Clowdd
By Shiva.Clowdd 2009-03-23 16:11:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Its great to have feedback but in truth we each pay our own bill if u wanna be rdm/drg w/ staff (just recently saw this lolz) then go ahead its ur money just dont get upset when ur pt invites u and then /point, /laugh and asks for u to sub an appropriate job.

A fkn jumping RDM, that ***made my day!
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-03-23 16:13:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Clowdd said:
rdm/drg w/ staff

I don't think it makes sense to ridicule people for how they play, because, well, in reality, they could have done much worse.

i.e. They could be a PUP.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
Server: Midgardsormr
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-03-23 16:17:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Sketchkat said:
Artemicion said:

That's very true, the variety of gear(as well as the job system) puts every other mmo to shame, but what gets to me is that some people have picked everything apart to such an extent with these calculations that you're laughed at if you don't have the "right" piece of gear for each slot. And what's the point of having such a variety if only 1 or 2 for each slot is considered to be any good?

Anyway, my point is that some people take this game waaay too seriously, lol.

Its been picked apart for two reasons. First, a lot of the people who play this game are very competitive people and they get the most enjoyment out of the game by striving to be the very best. 2. This game has been out for a long freaking time, and once you've done everything what else are you supposed to do.

As far as taking it seriously, try putting 600+ days of actual play time into something like alot of people have and try not to take it seriously. FFXI has become a massive time investment for some people and they should take it seriously.
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-03-23 16:27:20

They got every right to take the game as seriously as they want, but it doesn't justify alienating others with their ideals or having a condescending attitude when others try something different or think outside the box that may or may not go against their methods.
 Valefor.Sketchkat
Server: Valefor
user: sketchkat
By Valefor.Sketchkat 2009-03-23 16:35:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Frobeus said:

Its been picked apart for two reasons. First, a lot of the people who play this game are very competitive people and they get the most enjoyment out of the game by striving to be the very best. 2. This game has been out for a long freaking time, and once you've done everything what else are you supposed to do.

As far as taking it seriously, try putting 600+ days of actual play time into something like alot of people have and try not to take it seriously. FFXI has become a massive time investment for some people and they should take it seriously.

I can definitely see your point and I respect your opinion, I only wish things were a little more laid back sometimes, that's all(and no, I don't like WoW :p). I just can't see myself spending that kind of time in the game.

Just my opinion, I'm not trying to fight with anyone or anything.
 Unicorn.Tavlov
Server: Unicorn
user: Tomas
By Unicorn.Tavlov 2009-03-23 17:08:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I have used Garudas dagger since i got it around that lvl, it has lowish delay and pretty decent stats, i dont think theres anything wrong with it, i replace hornetneedle for it. In the process of getting a blau/sir combo, but those are really easy to obtain.
 Garuda.Crayne
Server: Garuda
user: Crayne
By Garuda.Crayne 2009-03-23 17:23:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Enternius said:
Clowdd said:
rdm/drg w/ staff

I don't think it makes sense to ridicule people for how they play, because, well, in reality, they could have done much worse.

i.e. They could be a PUP.

There is ONE problem with that...RDM has no natural staff skill, so they're limited to the cap for DRG at 37 (B-, so 109). They better damn well have a ***-ton on Acc and Atk if they wanna make that work.

As for the Argument over SK main or offhand: Offhand. I don't care if you're highest damage dagger is a Thief's Knife, it's still a better main hand than SK. I want that guy's name so I can hunt him down and poke him with a Harpe.

And as for Garuda's Dagger...stop saying it's so terrible. I went Cermet +1/Garuda's til I got my Harpe/SK I use now. The AGI+3 and atk+7 are nice (THF hurts in the atk+ department, especially if you're in a haste set like I am).
 Bahamut.Raenryong
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-03-23 18:05:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda's Dagger IS terrible <_<

AGI+3 is +3 base D every 1 minute, maybe sometimes +4 if you use AF+1 hands. That's incredibly puny, and +7atk is nice but attack means less to THF than it does other DDs comparatively, since base Ds of daggers are low and hence increasing D/fSTR has a big impact on their damage. Garuda's Dagger IS dire.
 Shiva.Clowdd
By Shiva.Clowdd 2009-03-27 15:41:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Narrubia said:
Clowdd said:
Lordgenbu said:

You should mention their name now, so we can all transfer to Shiva and harass them.

Talullah
 Garuda.Spikido
Server: Garuda
user: spikido
By Garuda.Spikido 2009-03-27 16:40:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Sketchkat said:

To a lot of us fans of these games, math equations, formulas, and graphs are what make it fun ... kinda sad I know.. :D
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-03-27 16:54:50

Clowdd said:
Talullah

This does not surprise me. In fact I find it somewhat ironic.
 Asura.Blackhell
Server: Asura
By Asura.Blackhell 2009-04-25 13:44:28
Link | Quote | Reply

looking for help taking the NM down paying 400k if the kukri drops! if your on asura hit me up please!!
 Alexander.Zykei
Server: Alexander
user: Zykei
By Alexander.Zykei 2009-04-25 14:12:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Spikido said:
Sketchkat said:

To a lot of us fans of these games, math equations, formulas, and graphs are what make it fun ... kinda sad I know.. :D

^
Playing to suck isn't exactly fun either... :/
[+]
 Alexander.Miradj
Server: Alexander
By Alexander.Miradj 2009-04-25 15:41:11
Link | Quote | Reply

How about THF/DNC solo? You certainly wouldnt want a Blau Dolch for /dnc considering you will be over 100tp a lot of the time and WSing much less. (at least thats how I play /dnc)

For /nin however, Sirocco Kukri is definitely an offhand weapon.
 Unicorn.Tavlov
Server: Unicorn
user: Tomas
By Unicorn.Tavlov 2009-04-25 17:14:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Azoth is like the best main for a thf/dnc. If you just want to hit more often then siroco wouldnt be a bad choice.
 Midgardsormr.Tousou
Server: Midgardsormr
user:
By Midgardsormr.Tousou 2009-04-26 20:45:00

Zykei said:
Spikido said:
Sketchkat said:

^
Playing to suck isn't exactly fun either... :/

And 4 points damage difference isn't a reason to go off on someone or say they're gimp.(This is merely an example).

I've got 3 daggers- SK, Thief's Knife, and Kard
Kard I only got while doing the SAM AF Fight in Onzozo cause some THF popped the NM and couldn't solo it. Anyway, these are the 3 daggers I'll use regardless of what's better/worse yada yada yada. I'm more concerned with eventually getting Blau Dolch.

As for the OP. Off-hand SK. Straight DoT isn't gonna change if you say, used SK/TK vs. TK/SK. The only reason to Mainhand TK is for better Weapon Skill damage (Which adds to your overall DoT)
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [1457 days between previous and next post]
By Massakre 2013-04-23 02:43:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

lol i must agree with you there, Now they even use spreadsheets and have every possible combination of gear to figure out how to pump out 1 extra damage per hour.
[+]
 Bahamut.Darksouls
user: blacksoul
By Bahamut.Darksouls 2013-04-23 02:44:31
Link | Quote | Reply

HOLY NECRO!
 Bahamut.Fulgrim
user: arouis