What Is The Answer To This Math Problem?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » What is the answer to this math problem?
What is the answer to this math problem?
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 ... 11 12 13
 Bismarck.Raistlinratt
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Raistlinratt 2011-04-12 08:07:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Trolls...

Bismarck.Nalien
user: juro
By Bismarck.Nalien 2011-04-12 08:11:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou said:
That's not math. This is math.
Technically a formula or equation of any sort, is no Maths either.
By kcunningham 2011-04-12 08:12:58
Link | Quote | Reply

48/2(9+3) is the same as 48/2 * 1/12= 48/24=2 the error occurring with the calculators is that they are assuming that the (9+3) is not a denominator. So even if you did 48/2 from the start, you would have 24/(9+3). It would not become 24(9+3). Being that the parenthesis are on the right of the /, it makes it a denominator. Thus the answer is 2.
By kcunningham 2011-04-12 08:13:39
Link | Quote | Reply

ryan seacrest?
 Cerberus.Kalyna
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Kalyna 2011-04-12 08:34:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Andypoole said:
All I want to know is the answer to this problem:

48÷2(9+3)
48÷2*9+2*3
48÷18+6
2 2/3 + 6

the answer is 8 2/3, or 8.66 repeating of course
 Phoenix.Degs
Server: Phoenix
user: Degs
By Phoenix.Degs 2011-04-12 08:36:50
Link | Quote | Reply

i still cant believe this thread continues... and is peaceful
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-04-12 15:03:50
Link | Quote | Reply

This subject is intriguing, I do agree that under the normal rules of order of operations (PEMDAS/BIDMAS) the answer is 288 but as I dug deeper I found this to be quite interesting. The entire case for the answer technically being 2 is based on the fact that the 2(9+3) does not have a (X or *) could fall under this this rule: multiplication indicated by juxtaposition

Which I do not know if it is technically a math law or if it should be.. Obviously as others have said the equation is written in poor notation like Shultz mentioned

This was the most official information I came across first about juxtaposition.

Source
Quote:

Alas, my search for an "authority" on this matter has been nearly
fruitless. The closest thing I have found is the convention used by
the _Mathematical Reviews_ of the American Mathematical Society (AMS),
at

Mathematical Reviews Database - Guide for Reviewers
http://www.ams.org/authors/guide-reviewers.html

that "multiplication indicated by juxtaposition is carried out before
division." Thus, in general, for any variables a, b and c, we would
have a/bc = a/(bc) (assuming, of course, that b and c are nonzero).
Indeed, this convention is consistent with what I have seen in many
mathematical books at various levels;

Also there seems to be a toss up between whether or not some Mathematicians would argue that implied multiplication takes priority over explicit multiplication, some graphing calculators have taken this in mind to allow a user to enter in a formula how it was written.

TI for example
 Leviathan.Dethard
Server: Leviathan
user: Archaos
By Leviathan.Dethard 2011-04-12 16:12:10
Link | Quote | Reply

48/2(9+3) is not the same as 48/2*(9+3)

as in the first equation the brackets are representing the multiplication the multiplication should be carried out while dealing with what's in the brackets

In the second equation the multiplication is not represented by the brackets and so it is handled differently

So although I can see both sides of the argument I think 2 is the correct answer
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-04-12 16:36:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Dethard said:
48/2(9+3) is not the same as 48/2*(9+3)

as in the first equation the brackets are representing the multiplication the multiplication should be carried out while dealing with what's in the brackets

In the second equation the multiplication is not represented by the brackets and so it is handled differently

So although I can see both sides of the argument I think 2 is the correct answer

I agree and I disagree, I can honestly see both sides of the argument I think it's an amazing exploit to a possible flaw in the traditional PEMDAS/BIDMAS laws of order of operation and I think they should implement a new rule which would give priority to implied multiplication.

It's really makes you think.. What about languages that read RIGHT to LEFT? In English we read from left to right, so it would make sense that PEMDAS follows the same type of rules, how would this poorly written equation translate to other languages? There should in fact be some type of law regarding this. the a/bc, many people would mean a/(bc) but would not write it this way. It would look odd to think (a/b)c = a/bc even though under the laws of PEMDAS it is. It's just one perfect example and I'm sure there are countless other mathematical papers written with this implied rule but where and who can make it an actual law?

Most people agree it's a poor notation for an equation but that does not mean it could not exist. Yes, it would be better written 48 / (2(9+3)) or (48 / 2)(9+3) and again not many people even write using / or ÷ outside basic arithmetic, once we learn algebra we write equations such as:

or

Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-04-12 16:39:26
Link | Quote | Reply

This is why you convert to all multiplication or all division and there won't be a problem.

divded by 2 = x .5
 Seraph.Gilhaven
Server: Seraph
user: Gilhaven
By Seraph.Gilhaven 2011-04-12 16:41:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess BODMAS/BOMDAS is canadian thing cuz ive never heard of it called PEMDAS before.

http://www.mathsisfun.com/operation-order-bodmas.html

And if you follow that the answer is and can only be 288.

No wonder ppl say the school system is failing.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-04-12 16:46:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Gilhaven said:

If (9+3) is in the numerator, that is true. The way this question is asked leaves ambiguity as to whether it is in the numerator or denominator. If it's in the denom, then the answer is not 288, even following that.
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-04-12 16:48:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Gilhaven said:
I will completely disregard the posts in this thread that have anything to do with the current discussion.

k.
 Seraph.Gilhaven
By Seraph.Gilhaven 2011-04-12 16:48:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Seraph.Gilhaven said:

If (9+3) is in the numerator, that is true. The way this question is asked leaves ambiguity as to whether it is in the numerator or denominator. If it's in the denom, then the answer is not 288, even following that.

True but this is how it was written...if the OP wanted to put it as the num/den then he would have done so....unless he failed.
 Seraph.Gilhaven
By Seraph.Gilhaven 2011-04-12 16:49:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
Seraph.Gilhaven said:
I will completely disregard the posts in this thread that have anything to do with the current discussion.

k.

Odd...I never said that....anywhere lol
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-04-12 16:49:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Gilhaven said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Seraph.Gilhaven said:

True but this is how it was written...if the OP wanted to put it as the num/den then he would have done so....unless he failed.
You're assuming the way the question is written isn't intentionally left open in the way it is.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-04-12 16:50:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Gilhaven said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Seraph.Gilhaven said:

Written as is, the question could very well go either way, which is why its a flawed question to begin with. Neither option is 100% clear.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nevill
user: Nevill
By Bismarck.Nevill 2011-04-12 16:52:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Seraph.Gilhaven said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Seraph.Gilhaven said:

Written as is, the question could very well go either way, which is why its a flawed question to begin with. Neither option is 100% clear.

Quite personally, in my line of work, I write my own equations to figure out what I need to know, so I could care less what the correct answer to this particular poorly written equation is.
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-04-12 16:54:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Nevill said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Seraph.Gilhaven said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Seraph.Gilhaven said:

Quite personally, in my line of work, I write my own equations to figure out what I need to know, so I could care less what the correct answer to this particular poorly written equation is.

and you still posted here..

also:
 Seraph.Gilhaven
By Seraph.Gilhaven 2011-04-12 16:54:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
Seraph.Gilhaven said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Seraph.Gilhaven said:

You're assuming the way the question is written isn't intentionally left open in the way it is.

As it is written its straight forward... 48 divided by 2 multiplied by 12. Left to right like reading a book(an English book)...this is grade 6 math. When in doubt K.I.S.S it... Keep It Simple Stupid.
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-04-12 16:55:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Gilhaven said:
Seraph.Gilhaven said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Seraph.Gilhaven said:

As it is written its straight forward... 48 divided by 2 multiplied by 12. Left to right like reading a book(an English book)...this is grade 6 math. When in doubt K.I.S.S it... Keep It Simple Stupid.

What you wrote is not the EXACT same as the original question.
 Bismarck.Nevill
By Bismarck.Nevill 2011-04-12 16:55:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
Bismarck.Nevill said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Seraph.Gilhaven said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Seraph.Gilhaven said:

also:

Shut up Tweek, noone really gives a *** what you think anyway.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-04-12 16:56:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Straight forward that ÷ could mean the denominator for the entire problem. Still could go either way.
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-04-12 16:56:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Now now, play nice..
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-04-12 16:57:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Nevill said:
Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
Bismarck.Nevill said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Seraph.Gilhaven said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Seraph.Gilhaven said:

also:

If only people cared about what I had to say as much as they care about what you have to say...

That's my goal this year.. for people to 'give a ***' about what I think as much as you think people give a *** about what you think.
 Leviathan.Dethard
Server: Leviathan
user: Archaos
By Leviathan.Dethard 2011-04-12 16:58:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Even if you attempt to convert it all to multiplication and division you must first deal with the brackets

48/2(9+3) = 48/2(12)

you still have a bracket to deal with before proceeding to multiplication and division, hence why I feel the multiplication implied by the brackets must be carried out first.

I may be wrong but I still believe the answer is 2
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-04-12 16:59:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Gilhaven said:
Seraph.Gilhaven said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Seraph.Gilhaven said:

Also dude who's to say that the mathematical equation written the exact same would need to follow the rules of LEFT to RIGHT in a different language? i.e. a language that is not read left to right.. that's just 1 small part that makes this so interesting
 Bismarck.Nevill
By Bismarck.Nevill 2011-04-12 16:59:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
Bismarck.Nevill said:
Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
Bismarck.Nevill said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Seraph.Gilhaven said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Seraph.Gilhaven said:

also:

If only people cared about what I had to say as much as they care about what you have to say...

That's my goal this year.. for people to 'give a ***' about what I think as much as you think people give a *** about what you think.

I really don't care what people think of what I have to say here. I have noone do impress. You are the one trying to belittle someone on the internet to make yourself look smart.

So I say again, shut the *** up, noone cares.
 Asura.Theringer
Server: Asura
user: Theringer
By Asura.Theringer 2011-04-12 17:00:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Why is this 7 pages long.. Surely after the first page the answer should've been: "Shut up" ? lol
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 ... 11 12 13