INT+ Over Magic Atk Bonus?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Black Mage » INT+ over magic atk bonus?
INT+ over magic atk bonus?
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-04-09 01:24:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Lol insta cast on stun. Now I know you are trolling. Insta cast on the 1-4 proc spells you cast per fight.. oh yeah that's so useful. Ya for saving a couple of seconds casting. Lot's of nms with hate reset... yeah sure a small handful.

Those debuffs could save the blms life easy. That -emnity lets the tank get hate back faster. And show me this set your blm uses that caps him -emnity so everyone can laugh at anyone actually casting in it.

Safety nets are aren't safety nets if you can avoid needing them easily every time. They are either useless or crutches at that point

Oh lawdy.
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-09 01:27:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I know it must be hard concept to get that if you have less emnity it is easier for a tank to get it back... oh wait no it isn't. Ya know I've tanked on thf... and you know what no one has ever died from the hate reset when I did.

Don't worry I'm still laughing at insta casting a spell that normally cast so fast you couldn't interupt it even if you started moving slightly before the cast started and that's without fast cast gear
[+]
 Cerberus.Finalvegeta
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Finalvegeta 2011-04-09 01:30:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Lol insta cast on stun. Now I know you are trolling. Insta cast on the 1-4 proc spells you cast per fight.. oh yeah that's so useful. Ya for saving a couple of seconds casting. Lot's of nms with hate reset... yeah sure a small handful.

Those debuffs could save the blms life easy. That -emnity lets the tank get hate back faster. And show me this set your blm uses that caps him -emnity so everyone can laugh at anyone actually casting in it.

Safety nets are aren't safety nets if you can avoid needing them easily every time. They are either useless or crutches at that point

Oh lawdy.

Use vates cape and u gain -12 enmity for the loss of 5 mab. If u want to keep some damage you can use goetia mantle and still gain -5 enmity. Pax grip for another -4 enmity. Then there is an obi with 6 or 5 int and - 5 enmity irc. Not quite cheap but its available. Now use MM and you are capped enmity for a minimal loss of damage. You already don't get the full boost of allures -enmity if you nuke in a normal set :x
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-04-09 01:34:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
I know it must be hard concept to get that if you have less emnity it is easier for a tank to get it back... oh wait no it isn't. Ya know I've tanked on thf... and you know what no one has ever died from the hate reset when I did.

Don't worry I'm still laughing at insta casting a spell that normally cast so fast you couldn't interupt it even if you started moving slightly before the cast started and that's without fast cast gear

You do realize you are able to instantly recast the spell after it insta casts...? Why you being so mean Dasva! I tank a lot on my thief, my partner rarely dies unless he doesn't care and just nukes away and afks after proc lol. That's using apoc, I really see no reason to use Allure.
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-04-09 01:35:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:

You do realize you are able to instantly recast the spell after it insta casts...? Why you being so mean Dasva! I tank a lot on my thief, my partner rarely dies unless he doesn't care and just nukes away and afks after proc lol. That's using apoc, I really see no reason to use Allure.

Derp I meant rarely takes hate. Provided no hate reset.
 Asura.Yunalaysca
Server: Asura
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2011-04-09 01:36:07
Link | Quote | Reply

just something to point out, if you aren't opening up a nuke in fast cast gear, you fail. if you open up a nuke in fast cast gear while using AOA you're going to nuke in fast cast gear, thus losing dmg potential. if you are using AOA and not using fast cast gear, then your dot will suck anyways.
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-04-09 01:37:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Yunalaysca said:
just something to point out, if you aren't opening up a nuke in fast cast gear, you fail. if you open up a nuke in fast cast gear while using AOA you're going to nuke in fast cast gear, thus losing dmg potential. if you are using AOA and not using fast cast gear, then your dot will suck anyways.

Uh this whole discussion is about low manning and using the blm for proc/main heal only. You wouldn't use either apoc or Allure for max dmg obviously...
 Asura.Yunalaysca
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2011-04-09 01:41:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said:
Asura.Yunalaysca said:

Uh this whole discussion is about low manning and using the blm for proc/main heal only. You wouldn't use either apoc or Allure for max dmg obviously...
allure would win regardless, better heal potency, -enmity, more mp for manawall etc etc. only benefit to AoA is if you suck at timing your nukes and run into a TP and even then the recast timers arent very long. you shouldn't be relying on an instant cast stun when it's damn near instant to begin with.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-09 01:44:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Finalvegeta said:

Use vates cape and u gain -12 enmity for the loss of 5 mab. If u want to keep some damage you can use goetia mantle and still gain -5 enmity. Pax grip for another -4 enmity. Then there is an obi with 6 or 5 int and - 5 enmity irc. Not quite cheap but its available. Now use MM and you are capped enmity for a minimal loss of damage. You already don't get the full boost of allures -enmity if you nuke in a normal set :x
It's only 4 on the waist. But yes you still cap for the low cost of 5 MAB and 2 int.. assuming of course you have you have +2 feet and hands. I have neither. :(

Leviathan.Draylo said:
Sure but shouldn't need to anyways. I nuke heavy on blm. I aim to deal signifcant dmg usually. Also there has been no shortage of times I've been the only surviour of some move or spell in a full alliance before party because of allure. And in the case of people inadvertantly pulling/aoeing avatars still had mp enough to finish. Or just to hold the mob till people recover.

As far as debuffs go.. sure there aren't alot of nms out there that a thf couldn't tank regardless of debuffs... but they still help. Means he wont need as much evasion gear on some. Or wont have to recast shadows as often etc.

I really don't see any reason to use apoc on a mage... unless you are meleeing. But for now my rdm needs other atmas
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-04-09 01:50:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Yunalaysca said:
Leviathan.Draylo said:
Asura.Yunalaysca said:

allure would win regardless, better heal potency, -enmity, more mp for manawall etc etc. only benefit to AoA is if you suck at timing your nukes and run into a TP and even then the recast timers arent very long. you shouldn't be relying on an instant cast stun when it's damn near instant to begin with.

No it doesn't win regardless. Better heal potency lol.. 30 mnd for cure4 yeah that's doing way much. -Enmity when its not necessary like I said earlier. Use temp items if you need mp that badly. You people seem to forget (or perhaps you don't even realize?) the spells recast timer is set instantly to 1, that means you can recast the spell again right after you use it. Which means back to back stun or, if you care about max dmg, back to back bliz5's.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-09 01:50:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said:
Leviathan.Draylo said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
I know it must be hard concept to get that if you have less emnity it is easier for a tank to get it back... oh wait no it isn't. Ya know I've tanked on thf... and you know what no one has ever died from the hate reset when I did. Don't worry I'm still laughing at insta casting a spell that normally cast so fast you couldn't interupt it even if you started moving slightly before the cast started and that's without fast cast gear
How does he take hate if just nukes and then afks after proc?

Either way I pull hate all the time. Half of what I do on blm is mentally trying to stay around the hate line and if timers are good go way above it for a time then ja. Faster kills mean less time for bad stuff to happen less overall emnity accumlated. Also less tp given to dmg dealt nuking so less hate reset moves will happen.
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-04-09 01:52:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Leviathan.Draylo said:
Leviathan.Draylo said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
I know it must be hard concept to get that if you have less emnity it is easier for a tank to get it back... oh wait no it isn't. Ya know I've tanked on thf... and you know what no one has ever died from the hate reset when I did. Don't worry I'm still laughing at insta casting a spell that normally cast so fast you couldn't interupt it even if you started moving slightly before the cast started and that's without fast cast gear
How does he take hate if just nukes and then afks after proc?

Either way I pull hate all the time. Half of what I do on blm is mentally trying to stay around the hate line and if timers are good go way above it for a time then ja. Faster kills mean less time for bad stuff to happen less overall emnity accumlated. Also less tp given to dmg dealt nuking so less hate reset moves will happen.

"just nukes away" as in spams his spells and dies to afk. How are you dealing more dmg with atma of allure then? I am strictly talking about low man scenario of two~three where the blm is usually /whm to heal... AoA also lets you isntantly recast a spell, which means back to back bliz5's. Assuming first cast in fast cast gear you deal maybe ~500 less dmg. Then you can insta cast it again for max dmg, spam spells after proc and enmity douse.
 Asura.Yunalaysca
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2011-04-09 01:53:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said:
Asura.Yunalaysca said:
Leviathan.Draylo said:
Asura.Yunalaysca said:

No it doesn't win regardless. Better heal potency lol.. 50 mnd for cure4 yeah that's doing way much. -Enmity when its not necessary like I said earlier. Use temp items if you need mp that badly. You people seem to forget (or perhaps you don't even realize?) the spells recast timer is set instantly to 1, that means you can recast the spell again right after you use it. Which means back to back stun or, if you care about max dmg, back to back bliz5's.
you shot down all of the benefits of allure and then say you can do back to back stuns, when low man where tp spam isnt an issue is not needed. and even then relying on the off chance to get that is rather amusing.
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-04-09 01:57:25
Link | Quote | Reply

TP spam has nothing to do with spells dearie. If you stun a aoe spell and it insta cast procs and then the mob is reading a ws right after, you can stun again. GASP. No you don't "rely" on it, but its a nice benefit. Something that is a lot better than allure...
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-09 02:00:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said:
"just nukes away" as in spams his spells and dies to afk. How are you dealing more dmg with atma of allure then? I am strictly talking about low man scenario of two~three where the blm is usually /whm to heal... AoA also lets you isntantly recast a spell, which means back to back bliz5's. Assuming first cast in fast cast gear you deal maybe ~500 less dmg. Then you can insta cast it again for max dmg, spam spells after proc and enmity douse.
I mean what he just casts until he gets hate then afks to die!?! Not making alot of sense.

Don't need -emnity gear to cap so keep dmg that way. Wont lose anything to fast cast. Also I tend to actually burn thru my mp even sticking with ice nukes. It's actually really easy to do. And I use manawall as kinda a first and even 2nd emnity douse. In that I pull tons of hate and then I just take dmg till tank gets hate back. Then convert it all back and can spam again after a short time and douse. But generally I try to maintain hate near what the tank has. At least close enough where a ws can get it back. Frankly DDs can get hate way too easy
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-09 02:01:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said:
TP spam has nothing to do with spells dearie. If you stun a aoe spell and it insta cast procs and then the mob is reading a ws right after, you can stun again. GASP. No you don't "rely" on it, but its a nice benefit. Something that is a lot better than allure...
Is not!
 Shiva.Darkmacabre
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Darkmacabre 2011-04-09 02:02:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-04-09 02:04:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Then allure still isn't doing much for you. You also seem to forget the main discussion. BLM/WHM + THF is what I am referring to. I do this a lot when I am low manning easy tier2 nms or seal nms... This is the time I (if blm) or my partner uses apoc. I see no benefit to allure either way. The situation you just used seems like you are in a group setting, allure isn't doing much for you if you are taking hate from all those nukes.

AoA would do more for your dmg and still keep that saftey net of RR/extra dmg from insta proc. Not to mention if cure4 insta procs, thats 530 heal (my friend has 35% cure pot for 530ish cures) you can heal again for another 530 hp instantly capping off most damaging tp attacks.

If you are burning through so much MP, use a martello or temp items.
 Asura.Yunalaysca
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2011-04-09 02:07:36
Link | Quote | Reply

we weren't talking about burning mp, we are talking about getting more out of mana wall.
 Bahamut.Alukat
user: Alukat
By Bahamut.Alukat 2011-04-09 02:08:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kalilla said:
I'm not a BLM but I'll try to give my opinion on MP gear.

The only thing MP would have any use for is to boost your MP up so you can get off a few free nukes, and put it away until you rest to full again. MP is only as good as money, once you spend it its gone. If you are at 500/1500 MP you wont benefit it. I wouldn't go as far as to say MP is totally useless, because it does has its uses.

Lets say Mage1 has the absolute best nuking gear in the game. Then here comes Mage2 who has a lot of MP gear on. Mage1 only has 1000 MP while Mage2 has 1500 MP. Who will end up doing more dmg? If Mage2 switches into Mage1's gear after they use up their extra MP then Mage2 would end up doing more overall DMG.

Mage1 (1000 MP)
Start<--------------------------->Stop

Mage2 (1500 MP)
Start<--------->Switch|Start<--------------------------->Stop

But if you have an insane amount of refresh and will never run out of MP for long... its best to forget about the MP thing most likely as you'll end up falling behind on DMG. In other words, if you don't really run out of MP then MP gear is completely useless~

Basically you gotta ask yourself how often do you rest and if you rest to full. MP should be one of the last things you work on as any mage be it WHM or BLM or RDM or BLU because your core qualities are what matter the most.

This isn't just about Abyssea either.

u'll have to do this when abyssea times are over and the game takes place in old areas again, w/o atmas ;)
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-04-09 02:10:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Dasva just said he runs out of MP a lot, I was referring to that. 30% extra mp, maybe two extra hits... wowzers?
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-09 02:16:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually allure is doing alot since it's letting me cast more of those nukes to get there. And have more mp to last. Not to mention still having 1k mp after a move wipes an allaince was fun.

Again your apoc benefits are next to nothing and easily out beaten by allure. You talk about insta cast as if it procs when you want it to so often. Most the time it's wasted and does absolutely 0 good. If you could actually rely on it it would be a different story... and absolutely broken
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-04-09 02:24:19
Link | Quote | Reply

It procs frequently enough to be considered useful over Allure. Most of what you are casting will be nukes, you will get at least 3 procs or so per fight, one at the least depending on speed of fight (most NM fights you will get at least one proc.) You are talking alliance play, I am talking duo.... Once grellow is proc'd, then you start considering nuking for dmg. At that point, you can just go all out anyway and if you get hate just enmity douse it off the first time, second time spam nukes and have the thief accomplice. I don't see how allure is helping you during that time. Why would you try and nuke for max dmg prior to getting grellow? During the time you are supporting the thf and finding/proc grellow you will gain more from AoA insta proc.
 Odin.Headstrong
Server: Odin
By Odin.Headstrong 2011-04-09 02:30:20
Link | Quote | Reply

i think apoc and allure are both very situational and personally i almost never use them for duo/lowman stuff or anything else on blm
i either just stay with my normal atmas mimi/beyond/ultima or change ultima for that fastcast/refresh atma..
always works really nice for me :O more refresh for mana wall isnt bad either, but idk i do have some -enmity in my nuke gear and i almost never die on blm <.<

anyways not worth a debate like that lol *cookies* ^_^
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-09 02:32:36
Link | Quote | Reply

3 procs isn't alot when the vast majority of the time you either get no real benefit to the proc or you don't take advantage of the small benefit.

You are vastly over estimating insta cast to be the absolute best conditions.

I also might add I don't really have a -emnity set partly cause since I don't have certain peices trying to get anywhere near the cap for my blm would be kinda silly. Not mention require seperate nuking sets which is lame in spellcast anyways. So I end up making full use of the -emnity from allure I think. Or at least damn close to it
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-04-09 02:35:05
Link | Quote | Reply

How are you getting no benefit from the proc? I think you are looking at the worst case scenario... The only things it would be wasted on would be.... nothing. It saves time overall, or in the case of a nuke/cure/stun, lets you recast it instantly for more dmg/etc.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-09 02:41:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said:
How are you getting no benefit from the proc? I think you are looking at the worst case scenario... The only things it would be wasted on would be.... nothing. It saves time overall, or in the case of a nuke/cure/stun, lets you recast it instantly for more dmg/etc.
So what if it saves time. Are you constantly casting? Nope. If you needed that time you're already failing cause it wont happen most the time. So you get to recast instantly... how often does that actually make any difference? What does that small amount of time actually do for you most the time? Nothing.

How are debuffs useless? It stops the lets the tank not cast utsesmi several times per fight!!! Heck could easily alow him to ni only tank most the time.

Allowing him to do more dmg keep/get hate etc. How is randomly occasionally saving time for the blm so useful but not consistently saving time for your tank not useful?
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-04-09 02:46:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I never said they are useless, I said they aren't as important to make allure push ahead. 30 MND... really not game breaking.

Quote:
So what if it saves time. Are you constantly casting? Nope. If you needed that time you're already failing cause it wont happen most the time. So you get to recast instantly... how often does that actually make any difference? What does that small amount of time actually do for you most the time? Nothing.

It adds up over the fight obviously... if you are casting stoneskin when a damaging tp move goes off that is bad. If you are casting something when you can be proc grellow or finding what it is that is wasting time. It adds up. If you recast instantly it makes a difference OVER TIME. If you instantly cast stun, you can cast it again and prevent a spell or tp move or melee hit or let tank get ichi up etc. If you insta cast a nuke, you can cast it again for even more dmg.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-09 02:55:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said:
I never said they are useless, I said they aren't as important to make allure push ahead. 30 MND... really not game breaking.
Quote:
It adds up over the fight obviously... if you are casting stoneskin when a damaging tp move goes off that is bad. If you are casting something when you can be proc grellow or finding what it is that is wasting time. It adds up. If you recast instantly it makes a difference OVER TIME. If you instantly cast stun, you can cast it again and prevent a spell or tp move or melee hit or let tank get ichi up etc. If you insta cast a nuke, you can cast it again for even more dmg.
Sure it does. Reduces fight time a bit. Increases survivability. Makes it so you don't have to heal as much saving on casting those spells... heck that's better than insta casting more time to cast procs/dmg. Omg what if para procs on tp move making you not have to stun so you still have stun for the aga... about as reasonable an expectation as your double stun scenario

It only adds up if you actually cast another spell in that small time you saved and you don't really do any waiting ever in the fight. Oh no now you are saving 1-2 sec on a spell makes your fight last longer cause you could've found grellow? Yeah no with 1 DD on the nm there is no way that is happening.

Also how does 1-3 procs add up over the fight? Seriously think back at how many times has it actually proc'd and actually made a difference? Outside of that rare stunning a aga then stunning a tp move a few seconds later nothing else really mattered
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-04-09 02:57:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Our experiences obviously vary because you don't use it as frequently as I do. There is very minimal benefit to using allure... in this duo setup I am talking about.