users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » Boxer's Mantle VS Fugacity
Boxer's Mantle VS Fugacity
 Quetzalcoatl.Moonsshadow
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
By Quetzalcoatl.Moonsshadow 2011-04-08 13:26:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Larger question: Why do you need all this evasion for anyway?
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
Server: Lakshmi
user: hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2011-04-08 13:31:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Moonsshadow said:

Bahamut.Alukat said:
well, evasion skill adds some chance to evade tp-move and evasion+ doesn't though
Bahamut.Alukat said:
well, evasion skill adds some chance to evade tp-move
Bahamut.Alukat said:
evade tp-move

I thought it was obvious!
 Odin.Dezaar
Server: Odin
user: dezaar
By Odin.Dezaar 2011-04-08 13:34:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Hypnotizd said:
Quetzalcoatl.Moonsshadow said:

Bahamut.Alukat said:
well, evasion skill adds some chance to evade tp-move and evasion+ doesn't though
Bahamut.Alukat said:
well, evasion skill adds some chance to evade tp-move
Bahamut.Alukat said:
evade tp-move

I thought it was obvious!

This

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2011-04-08 14:14:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyway, what Yuna said is right. Parrying Skill doesn't matter. If you want to prove it to yourself, take all the Parrying gear you can get your hands on and parse your rate against a monster that does't give you Parrying skillups.

I did it against Mandragoras in the tree right after I capped Parrying skill for level 68 on Dancer. Parrying Skill +40 (boxer's, 2x knife, earring, torque) on a monster that wouldn't give me skillups, 5% Parrying rate. Parrying Skill +0 (none of those items), 5% Parrying rate. Warrior against high level Abyssea NMs, 5% Parrying rate. Unless you're planning to farm monsters 10-20 levels lower than yourself, skilling Parrying is a waste of time. If I had Level 90 Parrying skill with +40 against a level 90 monster, I'd still have a 5% Parrying rate.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-04-08 14:18:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said:
Anyway, what Yuna said is right. Parrying Skill doesn't matter. If you want to prove it to yourself, take all the Parrying gear you can get your hands on and parse your rate against a monster that does't give you Parrying skillups.

I did it against Mandragoras in the tree right after I capped Parrying skill for level 68 on Dancer. Parrying Skill +40 (boxer's, 2x knife, earring, torque) on a monster that wouldn't give me skillups, 5% Parrying rate. Parrying Skill +0 (none of those items), 5% Parrying rate. Warrior against high level Abyssea NMs, 5% Parrying rate. Unless you're planning to farm monsters 10-20 levels lower than yourself, skilling Parrying is a waste of time. If I had Level 90 Parrying skill with +40 against a level 90 monster, I'd still have a 5% Parrying rate.

Just wish more people could understand this:P
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-08 14:21:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Think that's a bit of an exegeration but I haven't seen the testing on parrying in forever.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2011-04-08 14:31:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm between 275 and 280 skill now (79-80 cap for DNC), if you want to pick a target for me to test against. =p

I still have all the Parrying Torque/knives/etc gear from when I wanted to skill up parrying. After I realized they weren't affecting Parrying rate, I realized there was no reason to *** parrying skill while skilling up... and then I realized there was no reason to skill it up at all.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-08 18:23:03
Link | Quote | Reply

How exactly do you go about parsing it anyways? Just manually count forever? Since it only procs if evasion doesn't... anyways I'd say the T2 sea monk vnm would be decent. Hits kinda weakly easy to get dmg to 0 per hit and hundred fists alot so get alot of sample size fast. Got decent skillups on rdm on it last time I did that ^^

As far as why I say that is kinda exageration I last lvl'd parrying at 75 rdm on lvl 62-68 mobs... got from 70 to just under 200 in about an hour. The parry and therefore skillup rate really sucked at first but went way up at like 130ish or so. Granted I think I had like +30ish gear. But still it's a job with E skill way below the cap lol. Which means I had the skill of a lvl 50ish of an A skill
 Ramuh.Zaknafein
Server: Ramuh
By Ramuh.Zaknafein 2011-04-08 19:00:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Yunalaysca said:
Ramuh.Zaknafein said:
Asura.Yunalaysca said:
Ramuh.Zaknafein said:
Boxer's is usable by all jobs which is nice. Has 2 useful thf stats to it also.. sounds like the winner to me. Even if you take the eva vs eva skill at face value the +10 parrying seems to put it over the top.
as pointed out to me by birth, any mob that is worth a damn that you would actually benefit from parrying, parrying rate is floored to 5% no matter if your skill is capped or not.

Any links to some testing for the math on that?
if you play on pc, download kparser and see for yourself.

Unfortunately I play on Ps3 so can't see the results in that manner. If anyone knows of a link to some data tho I'd like to check it out.
 Fenrir.Dascorp
Server: Fenrir
user: dascorp
By Fenrir.Dascorp 2011-04-08 19:16:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Boxer's Mantle is still usefull...

when i played i used to macro it in for when casting shadows where i couldnt fit haste gear in <.<
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2011-04-08 22:43:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm having trouble figuring out what you're saying, but I parse it by using a parser. Kparser has a passive defenses part of the Defenses tab, which includes Parrying rate.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-08 22:48:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said:
I'm having trouble figuring out what you're saying, but I parse it by using a parser. Kparser has a passive defenses part of the Defenses tab, which includes Parrying rate.
Yeah I thought about it after awhile... but does it just tell you how parry rate as in parry vs number of attacks coming at you or does it factor evades out? Basically what I was getting at on the first part since can't you can't parry if you evade
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2011-04-09 04:14:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, it factors Evasion out.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-09 04:20:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmmm haven't played with it for awhile... maybe I should download it again... and actually try lvling parrying again. God that's such a pain though
 Odin.Sheelay
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-04-09 04:37:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Not if you keep in mind how easy it is to have a hoard of mobs attacking you in Abyssea while capping -PDT and regening!
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-09 04:48:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Sheelay said:
Not if you keep in mind how easy it is to have a hoard of mobs attacking you in Abyssea while capping -PDT and regening!
Well that wasn't generally the problem. The problem was fighting something accucurate enough that I don't evade too much while still somehow inaccurate enough I can parry decently against it to actually skill up lol.

Hence why most my parrying skillups were done on rdm. Well that and I could do that stuff outside of abyssea at 75. And get people to call me a hacker while doing it :). Awww that was so epic I had to make a thread way back when
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-04-09 04:52:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Hahah, I remember broken RDMs tanking ridiculous amounts of mandies in the tree back at 75. WAR wasn't too bad either after the introduction of Retaliation and /DNC
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-09 04:54:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Retalition is more for offensive skillups... and is kinda rediculous for that lol. But yeah probably my favorite thread that I've made lol http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/5018/rdm-soloing-20-epdc-haxor/. Also I'm poor back then :(
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-04-09 05:02:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Hah, i remember that thread now. Man i was laughing at the guy cursing at you on screen XD
A good thread indeed

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.