Mentor status
 Bismarck.Rinomaru
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Rinomaru 2011-03-11 19:50:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I've seen this lately more than ever.
The mentor status.

Before in 2005-2007 veteran players would put this on to help newbies. Good people.

Nowadays I notice the people with them on are in serious need of a mentor, sorta like "Looking for Veteran to help me"
Please be considerate to help these people out, they went out of their way to get the status!

Thank you
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-03-11 19:52:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Mentor status on is cruise control for cool
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Moonsshadow
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Moonsshadow 2011-03-11 19:52:40
Link | Quote | Reply

This game has new people?
[+]
 Asura.Ludoggy
Server: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2011-03-11 19:53:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I like my gm flag better.
[+]
 Asura.Matzilla
user: Caliber
By Asura.Matzilla 2011-03-11 19:54:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ludoggy said:

first time i turned it on i thought other people saw it too and I ***BRIX
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-03-11 19:54:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ludoggy said:

only hackers use dat
[+]
By BorealisV2 2011-03-11 19:56:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I've yet to meet someone on Shiva that uses the mentor status and isn't a complete tard. Every time I see mentor status now I automatically assume they're a bad player and try to avoid them.
[+]
 Ramuh.Thetone
Server: Ramuh
user: TheTone
By Ramuh.Thetone 2011-03-11 20:03:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I keep mentor status on at all times, barely anyone on my server uses it so it stands out quite a bit.
 Quetzalcoatl.Trauma
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Trauma
By Quetzalcoatl.Trauma 2011-03-11 20:15:08
Link | Quote | Reply

BorealisV2 said:
I've yet to meet someone on Shiva that uses the mentor status and isn't a complete tard. Every time I see mentor status now I automatically assume they're a bad player and try to avoid them.

I agree with this. I'm not saying all Mentors are like this, because I've met some very nice, intelligent people who keep Mentor status up. However, I have met many more unintelligent noobs using Mentor status just because they think they're good and can answer any question in the game. Usually they can barely help themselves let alone another player.
[+]
 Cerberus.Wolfshadow
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Wolfshadow 2011-03-11 20:43:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Trauma said:
BorealisV2 said:

I agree with this. I'm not saying all Mentors are like this, because I've met some very nice, intelligent people who keep Mentor status up. However, I have met many more unintelligent noobs using Mentor status just because they think they're good and can answer any question in the game. Usually they can barely help themselves let alone another player.
Thissssssss
[+]
 Bismarck.Pimpjuice
By Bismarck.Pimpjuice 2011-03-11 20:48:15
Link | Quote | Reply

75% of ppl that use "mentor status" are lil *** that pick on newbies.

But there are some ppl that actually go out of their way to help new ppl out.
 Shiva.Aaralyn
Server: Shiva
user: Aaralyn
By Shiva.Aaralyn 2011-03-11 20:50:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Wolfshadow said:
Quetzalcoatl.Trauma said:
BorealisV2 said:

Thissssssss
Yup
 Alexander.Deadlydiva
Server: Alexander
By Alexander.Deadlydiva 2011-03-11 20:51:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm a Noob! I need helps! Me lost! Someone Help! @.@
[+]
 Cerberus.Wolfshadow
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Wolfshadow 2011-03-11 20:53:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Alexander.Deadlydiva said:
I'm a Noob! I need helps! Me lost! Someone Help! @.@
Any know mine 4 fish how too?
 Fenrir.Mtmoogle
Server: Fenrir
user: Bogamoga
By Fenrir.Mtmoogle 2011-03-11 21:46:02
Link | Quote | Reply

tbh i cant remember(other than my first day playing) when i didnt have the mentor status on. Now the number of "mentors" doubled since i swapped to fenrir and most of them are totally clueless and are assholeish to be a mentor.
 Bismarck.Rinomaru
By Bismarck.Rinomaru 2011-03-11 22:10:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Mtmoogle said:
tbh i cant remember(other than my first day playing) when i didnt have the mentor status on. Now the number of "mentors" doubled since i swapped to fenrir and most of them are totally clueless and are assholeish to be a mentor.

Yeah, they need help! :D
Asura.Matzilla said:
Asura.Ludoggy said:

Same here, and i once hit "left" button and moved my char, i was like OH ***GM GUNNA SPY IN MY HOUSE.

Too bad GM mode doesnt work anymore, that i know of
 Asura.Ludoggy
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2011-03-11 22:16:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Rinomaru said:

Yeah, they need help! :D
Asura.Matzilla said:
Asura.Ludoggy said:

Same here, and i once hit "left" button and moved my char, i was like OH ***GM GUNNA SPY IN MY HOUSE.

Too bad GM mode doesnt work anymore, that i know of
Need the updated version?
 Bismarck.Rinomaru
By Bismarck.Rinomaru 2011-03-12 04:25:57
Link | Quote | Reply

There's an updated one now?
By Artemicion 2011-03-12 04:43:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Should have increased prerequisites IMO.
Level 30+ and 180 hours is a joke as far as being recognized to have a status symbolizing experience and the ability to help another player. But alas, there's no real measurable threshold in game as to who will be helpful and who will be a retard.
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-03-12 04:52:03
Link | Quote | Reply

You should have to have job fully levelled and fully merited and then you become a mentor of that job.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Hewison
Server: Lakshmi
user: Hewison
By Lakshmi.Hewison 2011-03-12 07:04:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I've pretty much had the Mentor Status up throughout playing FFXI.
Personally I find it has a few benefits.

The first being that it takes place over your linkshell symbol next to your name. I remember a period of time where most of my event LSs were different shades of pink, puke green/yellow and other such funky colours.

The second being the tells you get from quite a variety of people. I have nothing wrong with helping people and trying to answer any questions people may have, after all that's why I have the status up.
However... some questions I've recieved have been rather amusing. I'll have to glance through my screenshots to find some other funny ones but by far the best I've ever gotten was asking what the M next to my name was for. It's a shame that the really sad thing is that this is most likely the question I recieve the most... from new players and veterens!! Though I suspect I was being trolled, heh. I've also been asked how to get the "m shell thing" because it looks "so cool" ...pretty sure I facepalmed irl when I got that /tell.

The third, as already mentioned, is that it use to be a rare thing. Nowadays though I see the damn M symbol all over the place. I also agree that a vast majority of people who have the Mentor Status are fools, this is something I've talked to another Mentor about actually... it's like we're all involved in a secret club :s

The first rule of Mentor Status is: you do not talk about Mentor Status.
 Sylph.Quiznor
Server: Sylph
user: Quiznor
By Sylph.Quiznor 2011-03-12 09:18:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:
Level 30+ and 180 hours is a joke as far as being recognized to have a status symbolizing experience and the ability to help another player. But alas, there's no real measurable threshold in game as to who will be helpful and who will be a retard.

It should take into account if you have levelled MNK or NIN or the release of abyssea.If you have,then you should never ever ever be allowed to use GM status.
 Bismarck.Maxse
user: maxse
By Bismarck.Maxse 2011-03-12 09:31:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Quiznor said:
Artemicion said:

It should take into account if you have levelled MNK or NIN or the release of abyssea.If you have,then you should never ever ever be allowed to use GM status.

What?
 Sylph.Quiznor
By Sylph.Quiznor 2011-03-12 09:38:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Means all the abyssea burned bandwagoners can never use GM status
 Bismarck.Maxse
user: maxse
By Bismarck.Maxse 2011-03-12 09:41:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Whats that have to do with leveling mnk and nin /cry
 Sylph.Quiznor
By Sylph.Quiznor 2011-03-12 09:43:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Because everyone figured out "oh hey give me a whm and i can do almost everything!" with those 2 jobs,how many skilled + well geared NIN's did you know before abyssea came out,probably a handful at most.I knew maybe 3.Now I know about 50,and I see about 500 more everywhere