Forum » FFXI » General » Frames per Second
Frames per Second
 Siren.Kogasho
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: kogasho
By Siren.Kogasho 2011-03-11 01:46:36
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXI has always been running well on my cpu Nvidia Graphics card duo core, it always runs at 29-30 FPS, but now when i login im getting 10-12 FPS WTF is going on? I use GUI launcher is there something wrong with the program?
By Artemicion 2011-03-11 02:45:26
Link | Quote | Reply

First things first:
What are your current CPU & GPU?
 Siren.Kogasho
By Siren.Kogasho 2011-03-11 03:07:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Asus notebook g72gx series
Processor: intel R core 2 duo CPU p8700 @ 2.53GHz 2.53 GHz
Ram 6.00 GB
64-bit operating system
Windows 7

that's what im running
my game has been running fine but recently my FPS is way low
By Artemicion 2011-03-11 03:52:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Are your frame drops immediately upon startup/character selection or are there specific moments or engagements of gameplay that trigger the FPS drop?

It seems strange as your system far exceeds the needs of FFXI to run at maximum framerate even with oversampling background resolution.
My guess at this point is overheating or drivers as per typical situation (especially with laptops), but I am not out-ruling an anomaly that could be causing this.

Another question: Would you happen to be dual boxing?
 Siren.Kogasho
By Siren.Kogasho 2011-03-11 04:05:51
Link | Quote | Reply

in the beginning it would just start fine, i would be able to play an go about my business. but when i would flux somewhere in abyssea my FPS would drop drastically not all the time but sometimes. I would just stay still for about 5-6 min an the fps would go back to 29-30. it was doing that for about a month off an on some days it wouldn't even happen, but now its more frequent and now when i go to the ffxi title select screen my fps would be 12ish when its normally 30fps. No i dont dulebox
By Artemicion 2011-03-11 04:10:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Bleh, the problem with laptops is you can't exactly test other hardware to isolate the problem as easily as you could on a desktop.
I would start by doing some simple things like exiting any unnecessary applications running in background including firefox and whatnot. Also try Game Booster software a shot, basically does what I mentioned for you in much finer detail.

Also check to assure your GPU drivers are up to date.
I was going to say it sounded like your issue was difficulty accessing a specific piece of data from the hard drive or possibly a corrupt game file, but now that it does this upon startup and character selection, it sounds much more like a hardware related issue.
Checking to defragment the FFXI directory isn't an awful idea either.
 Ramuh.Yarly
Server: Ramuh
user: nignog
By Ramuh.Yarly 2011-03-11 05:14:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe you accidentally set your gpu to power saving mode or it reverted to power saving mode... Happened to me before.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Artemicion 2011-03-11 05:19:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah... Laptops are definitely not my forte.
Good luck on fixing the issue.

Post deleted by User.
By Artemicion 2011-03-11 05:38:23
Link | Quote | Reply

This is the Game Booster software I was talking about. It basically puts your PC into gaming mode and shuts down a lot of error checking, driver verification and other crap your OS runs on default to help keep as much of your RAM focusing on the game you're playing rather than juggling something you won't be needing anyways.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
By Artemicion 2011-03-11 05:58:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:
Artemicion said:
This is the Game Booster software I was talking about. It basically puts your PC into gaming mode and shuts down a lot of error checking, driver verification and other crap your OS runs on default to help keep as much of your RAM focusing on the game you're playing rather than juggling something you won't be needing anyways.

Have not used it yet, but it does not come off as that amazing.

If you manage your processes and startup listing to begin with, it won't come across at that significant of a boost. But every little bit helps I suppose. Helps get rid of error checks, network verification, driver verification, and that stupid side bar dash thingy too.
This is more practical for the folks who aren't as savvy with managing their operating system and background applications/processes.
 Asura.Tamoa
Server: Asura
user: Tamoa
By Asura.Tamoa 2011-03-11 06:05:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:

This is more practical for the folks who aren't as savvy with managing their operating system and background applications/processes.

Folks like me, thank you for posting link! :D

Post deleted by User.
By Artemicion 2011-03-11 06:11:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said:

Do you dat mod? bard songs are the only thing left that drive me nuts like that, when i see someone doing peoen or ballad I have to *** run half the time now lol

See that was what I was thinking too. If he has a corrupt piece of data or perhaps an high res piece replacing it that is difficult to be read consistently from his hard drive, it can cause considerable performance drops, especially after playing for prolonged periods of time with accumulated heat buildup. After all, laptops are significantly more sensitive to such issues due to everything being in one small chassis with limited ventilation.

Post deleted by User.
 Siren.Kogasho
By Siren.Kogasho 2011-03-11 13:31:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Yarly said:
Maybe you accidentally set your gpu to power saving mode or it reverted to power saving mode... Happened to me before.

how do i check this?
 Fenrir.Spainard
Server: Fenrir
user: Spainard
By Fenrir.Spainard 2011-03-14 23:54:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I have the ASUS G73jh / 1gb ATI HD5870gpu and my FPS gets really low at the Fluxes too. I have updated ATI drivers, BIOS, and all that jazz.

AT the moment, I just deal with it. Doing some research, seems like the GPU categorizes FFXI as a 2D game and lowers itself to accommodate that.

ASUS G series laptops have always been buggy with games. That is why were is several BIOS updates dedicated to issues with the GPU.