Forum » FFXI » Crafter's Crib » Synergy » Synergy training
Synergy training
 Fenrir.Calamity
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Calamity
By Fenrir.Calamity 2011-03-09 06:25:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Just getting started with this and I've been browsing information on the subject, but one thing I haven't found is advice on what route to go on training. Currently feeling like 5/5 feeding and 5/5 thwacking seems like a good start, but then I could be wrong. Any veteran advice?
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2011-03-09 06:55:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I personally rely on thwacking pretty heavily with high level recipes, but others seem to feel you should be able to avoid the need entirely (I disagree, obviously). Feeding is always a good choice, other than that I'd say the best ones are pressure handle/safety lever (or w/e they're called). However, if you absolutely know 100% that you'll always have a good synergy partner that can be relied on (not sure if anyone has this lol) then you can cover all bases between the two of you. I definitely wouldn't bother with recycling, but furnace repair may or may not actually be worth using if you train it to level 5.

tl;dr, feeding > pressure/impurities > thwacking imo.
 Ragnarok.Calif
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Calif 2011-03-09 07:49:03
Link | Quote | Reply

The trouble is, while you're skilling, you're usually aiming to fail the recipe; once you start attempting higher level recipes and try to succeed, you'll find yourself approaching synergy quite differently.

While I was skilling, I went for 5/5 feeding and 5/5 thwacking. I'd argue these are the best ones to do while skilling, because better feeding/thwacking = more skillup opportunities.

However, doing "proper" synths, I started to use the safety lever a lot, which avoids having to thwack at all, and once you're approaching the cap for a recipe, you're at the minimum 5%-per-feed, so having feed training is redundant.

If I was going to pick again, I'd probably skip thwacking and do safety lever, because you can get the Precision Thwack ability from Fisherman's Cuffs (although I've never used it and have no idea how effective it is).

Ultimately, it will depend on how much of a thwacker you turn out to be, as it were.

Midgardsormr.Berto
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Berto
By Midgardsormr.Berto 2011-03-09 08:17:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I've gotten to about 67 synergy and I went upon the advice of most of the guides. However, I really think I would have done things a bit differently had I known then what I know now.

This is how I would train if I was starting over:

5/5 feeding fewel (no brainer and a must. You always want the best return for each fewel you feed.)

5/5 impurity safety lever (Impurities determine how soon your furnace will erupt. Using the safety lever lowers this amount the more you train on it. Make this the second priority)

From there, it might depend on your upgraded crafting smock. Since I have the weavers smock, repairing furnace was never an issue so I never trained on it. Even if you don't have the smock, repair is still low since you could always fail the synth and start over with a fresh furnace.

Fewel recycling, pass on this...waste.

Now here's where you have to make the decision...thwack or pressure. I would say go with thwack because it can be an effective way to reduce both impurities and pressure in one shot...assuming you succeed and don't destroy the furnace.

Not 100% about pressure but I feel that it determines how much damage you might take in the event of an explosion. However, I don't feel it determines whether or not an explosion could happen. I've had crazy high levels of pressure during a synth but no explosion because I've kept the impurity levels down. I'd say just cast stoneskin on yourself or something and you would be ok in case of an explosion.

So in order of preference:
Feed Fewel
Safety Lever
Thwack
Pressure
Repair
Recycle fewel (don't even really bother with this one)

Fenrir.Calamity
Server: Fenrir
user: Calamity
By Fenrir.Calamity 2011-03-09 16:21:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Alright, already getting a pretty good idea of what to do. Thank you all.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [39 days between previous and next post]
 Bismarck.Indigla
Server: Bismarck
user: Indigla
By Bismarck.Indigla 2011-04-17 09:11:43
Link | Quote | Reply

If I could redo mine I would probably do them in this order:

1. Feed Fewell
2. Operate Safety Lever
3. Repair Furnace
4. Thwack Furnace
5. Operate Pressure Valve (I forget if you can train each skill a max of 4 or 5 times)
(Recycle Strewn Fewell is worthless)

Reason for my order is if you never let impurities go over 30% the furnace will never explode, so thwack furnace should just be a last resort if you mess up in monitoring levels. Repair Furnace is handy in buying time for/soloing some of the more complex recipes. Operate Pressure Valve is just to reduce damage if the furnace does indeed explode which in my opinion should never happen anyway so isn't that worthwhile to me.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [1834 days between previous and next post]
 Asura.Kogasho
Server: Asura
user: kogasho
By Asura.Kogasho 2016-04-24 15:57:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Was curious on to what are the best to max now a days?
5/5 Feeding of course but what else?
 Asura.Kogasho
By Asura.Kogasho 2016-04-24 21:28:00
Link | Quote | Reply

bumping for support! :(
 Bahamut.Cdubs
Server: Bahamut
user: Cdublov
By Bahamut.Cdubs 2016-04-24 22:38:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I would do safety lever also. The others are meh, and only really have to do with if the furnace explodes. But if you operate the safety lever and keep the pressure under 30% it will never explode.

Edit: also the best body I have found is the carpenter's. Reduced DOT for the furnace and allows for all recipes to be completed easily.
 Asura.Kogasho
By Asura.Kogasho 2016-04-24 23:04:01
Link | Quote | Reply

The fishing gloves help with Twacking? So I shouldn't have to merit those? Anything to help HQ items?
 Bahamut.Cdubs
Server: Bahamut
user: Cdublov
By Bahamut.Cdubs 2016-04-24 23:05:48
Link | Quote | Reply

No need to thwack if its not exploding... keep the pressure under 30%. HQ rates are decent as long as you get perfect elemental alignment.
 Asura.Kogasho
By Asura.Kogasho 2016-04-24 23:08:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the info!