Aeolian Edge Build For NIN?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Ninja » Aeolian Edge build for NIN?
Aeolian Edge build for NIN?
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-03 18:35:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Subadai said:
Asura.Dajociont said:
geez, look at that gimp nin using auto target function
Why is that gimp? Honest question.
I'm guessing a joke
 Cerberus.Wolfshadow
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Wolfshadow 2011-03-03 18:39:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Subadai said:
Asura.Dajociont said:
I'm guessing a joke
Auto target gives diminishing returns, what are you new here? pfft shhh
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-03 18:41:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Wolfshadow said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Subadai said:
Asura.Dajociont said:
I'm guessing a joke
Auto target gives diminishing returns, what are you new here? pfft shhh
True but auto attack ignores delay
 Bahamut.Raenryong
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2011-03-03 18:41:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Using a Dagger gives you access to Evisceration. This might be enough to make Dagger/Katana > Katana/Katana until Hi ... never done any concrete math on it though, just speculating.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-03 18:43:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Using a Dagger gives you access to Evisceration. This might be enough to make Dagger/Katana > Katana/Katana until Hi ... never done any concrete math on it though, just speculating.
With attack food the nin I was with seemed to usually get better eviscerations than jins in abyssea...
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
Server: Pandemonium
user: Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2011-03-03 18:45:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Subadai said:
Asura.Dajociont said:
I'm guessing a joke

it was <_> lol

dajociont is my heterosexual-manlove, nothing could tear us apart, even a troll-post directed at me that others' [shamefully] took the bite of =(
[+]
 Asura.Dajociont
Server: Asura
user: Jamehkun
By Asura.Dajociont 2011-03-03 18:47:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Ironguy said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Subadai said:
Asura.Dajociont said:
I'm guessing a joke

it was <_> lol

i use auto target function, i was just trying to troll that which should not have been trolled. cause you know, it's a necessity to try to point out things that are wrong which really aren't, it's a cool way to go about things.

also,

nothing can keep me from dat purty mouf /brushes iron's hair (holy *** i suck at editing)
[+]
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
Server: Pandemonium
user: Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2011-03-03 18:54:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Dajociont said:
nothing can keep me from dat purty mouf /brushes iron's hair (holy *** i suck at editing)

DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
 Leviathan.Thornyy
Server: Leviathan
user: Eriuddo
By Leviathan.Thornyy 2011-03-03 22:56:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Martial Knife. Iron mentioned using evasion gear while edging out of laziness, but the reality is if you pull decently(20-30 monsters depending on zone/availability) you'll die extremely quickly even macroing in edge gear for a second.. so when used properly you're best off leaving the evasion gear on.

Don't use Hell's Guardian(if you have it, I know OP doesn't), use Gales/Ultimate/Smiting Blow. It's always going to be a better damage increase.. even more so if you're substituting something like beyond.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-03 23:03:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Smiting blow isn't that good if you are already using martial knife. 14% increase in dmg. Hell's gaurdian will beat that unless you are somehow sporting more than +250 MAB without it... so never without brew. Heck beyond would still win if you had less than +110 before it.

Also shouldn't need full evasion set to cap evasion on xp mobs. Shouldn't need hardly any at all really.
 Leviathan.Thornyy
By Leviathan.Thornyy 2011-03-03 23:09:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Poor thinking on my part, only picked up a martial knife last week and didn't re-evaluate atma. You could set something up so that you tp in partial haste and ws in partial MAB while still differentiating it from non-edge in spellcast.. seems a fair bit of effort. If you take off all evasion gear, you're going to die very quickly(with capped/meritted evasion and parrying I drop notably faster than cure 5/6 alternating can keep up with on any leveled mob.. obviously ways to reduce it besides evasion gear but it's such a huge loss of utility to bring a RDM for phalanxga or second WHM). Worrying about your set is pretty irrelevant, if it costs you a death once you'll have lost the minimal benefit gained over 30-40 pulls. Keep in mind the majority of the time is spent pulling, and at most you're saving yourself one weaponskill per pull going from full eva to ideal WS set with proper atma and ascetics.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-03 23:16:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Haven't tried nin but thf isn't that far ahead on evasion and I use 0 gear to cap evasion on xp and alot of nms... of course usually use GH. So shouldn't need much gear. Maybe just maccro in the higher haste and mab peices. Plus can just /sam to speed things up assuming you don't need another sub for later on...

And yeah martial knifes are so hard to find now lol.

Or could just use pdt and phalanx and take nothing! Actual rdm can use the ws... hmmm interesting
 Leviathan.Thornyy
By Leviathan.Thornyy 2011-03-03 23:18:32
Link | Quote | Reply

NIN needs /WAR to access red lotus blade/seraph blade generally(someone else may have them, may not be red !!ing, w.e). THF has at least 48 evasion from traits(60 if wiki is correct), as well as 10 more from skill. This isn't to say that NIN needs full evasion everywhere regardless to stay alive reliably, but you'll drop like a rock if you do it in normal tp/ws gear.

RDM can solo edge fine, have done it before. It's great for farming augmented items. The problem with this, at least to me, is that RDM is a terrible use of a slot and most people are concerned with doing things as lowman as possible nowadays. NIN + WHM takes up 2 job slots, but they're also drastically more useful once time is built if you have any other goals in the zone.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-03 23:21:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol I know how much that's why I said shouldn't need alot. Not on xp mobs. Especially if they are in the DC range.

And yeah that's why I put in if you don't need a different sub for other things. /war also gets you staff ws and polearm seraph strike. But if you just going for general time farm gold chest xp etc wont need that.

Anyways rdm >>> whm. Healing better debuffs and more procs! If your low man nin doesn't know how to not face tank you might want a new tank.

Either way I'm solo alot now so I could use some time/gold chest farming on rdm
 Leviathan.Thornyy
By Leviathan.Thornyy 2011-03-03 23:30:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Anyways rdm >>> whm. Healing better debuffs and more procs! If your low man nin doesn't know how to not face tank you might want a new tank.
All rdm procs are shared with BLM(which has a huge arsenal.. unless you're duoing it's the third job for af mats). I don't see how you can argue for ~10% slow and para comparing to unlimited MP. It's not a matter of being able to stay alive, anyone with half a brain can do that, but using evasion gear or frequently casting ichi is a huge drop in damage dealt.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-04 00:01:35
Link | Quote | Reply

With better debuffs really shouldn't need ichi... besides you said low man so I'm assuming don't have room for a blm. Not like rdm curing is really all that bad.

But I suppose if you are low man enough to be worried about how many people you have while still proccing but not so low that you are cutting procs out then yeah.
 Leviathan.Thornyy
By Leviathan.Thornyy 2011-03-04 00:43:52
Link | Quote | Reply

RDM curing isn't bad, but it's no WHM.

If I were duo, I'd use BLM/WHM as my healer. If you can sacrifice access to cure 5 and 6, you can sacrifice 10% slow/para(tier 1s are still perfectly fine on BLM or WHM) as well. Result is 5/8 procs and enmity douse available to speed up the fight.

If trio, it's pretty obvious, you bring the BLM/BRD in addition to your WHM. I fail to see how RDM is ever the 'ideal' option for anything.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-04 00:47:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Never said it was ideal but it's still nice to have.

I really fail to see how whm is really ideal for most things either. Everyone and there mother is just having a hard on for it.

Besides blu support is where it's at. Procs healing weird debuffs dmg if you want. Screw your whm. blm blu and thf or dnc tank and get all procs unless lightsday is on your list
 Leviathan.Thornyy
By Leviathan.Thornyy 2011-03-04 00:50:33
Link | Quote | Reply

better off just using the blu as your melee than support, it's nothing great but you still get chant or vorpal blade and capped haste along with head butt as a crutch
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-04 00:53:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Thornyy said:
better off just using the blu as your melee than support, it's nothing great but you still get chant or vorpal blade and capped haste along with head butt as a crutch
Sure blu is more useful for that... but if it lets you bring something besides whm for procs then I'd say do that. Can hit all procs with 3 people on most days. Other than lightday whm isn't really all that more useful than an rdm most the time.

And actually blu can be really great melee... it just doesn't tank AND melee well at the same time. And well you will pull hate.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-03-04 00:58:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
And actually blu can be really great melee... it just doesn't tank AND melee well at the same time.
What?
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-04 00:59:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
And actually blu can be really great melee... it just doesn't tank AND melee well at the same time.
What?
I mean the things a blu does to stay alive detract from it's melee dmg alot. Can't just sit there and ride capped evasion in full haste/dmg gear/atmas or count on countering and stupid high hp.

Instead lots of shadow casting, headbutting, flashing possibly emergency sanguine blades/magic fruits.
 Ramuh.Aramachus
Server: Ramuh
user: Aramachus
By Ramuh.Aramachus 2011-03-07 12:37:35
Link | Quote | Reply

on the topic aeolian edge on nin, I levelled my dagger recently to get access and went out on a bunch of funguar just to try. with atma of gales/beyond/baying moon I scored about 1k damage (no temps used) in a mix of eva/pdt set.

can any of you using an aeolian edge ws setup give some numbers on the damage? would be really interesting if you can hit 1.5k+ or just spend 60 inventory slots to make it 1.050 dmg versus 1.000.

something else Id like to know is whats the best strat to survive? Ill take my gf on rdm/blm along to sleepga the mobs between aeolian edges but ive seen ppl do it without sleepga. eva isnt enough on ~15 mobs and the bit of 15% pdt +phalanx II protect V wasnt enough either to make cure IV spam from rdm keep my hp at a constant level. so whm cure V/VI spam or sleepga? or are there any other possibilities?
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-07 12:41:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Cap your evasion and they should rarely hit you. Or get alot more pdt and they will hit for nothing (litterally)
 Ramuh.Aramachus
By Ramuh.Aramachus 2011-03-07 18:58:24
Link | Quote | Reply

somewhere on this forum ppl believe there is a cap to enemy hit rate of 20% (which makes an 80% evasion cap) which I consider crap but nevertheless, even with 95% evasion (there has to be a cap since 100% evasion is impossible) having 20 mobs at you means you take 1 attack per round. I dont see how evasion should help that, after all my atmas are towards enhancing aeolian edge damage and I take about 100ish? damage per hit. that being said, I have eva capped, 4/4 eva merits and a full eva set on (offhand sekka +2, mainhand yatagan) only pieces I swapped out were eva torque for twilight torque, aurore body for arhats, ohat for arhats. everything else was solid eva gear.

well the damage I took was just a bit too much to handle for a single rdm with only cure IV, a whm would have been fine so its not a big issue, just thought there might be a trick or something. Ill go work on my pdt set
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-07 19:09:31
Link | Quote | Reply

That's alot of dmg for that much pdt/phalanx. How bad is your rdms phalanx II? Were you fighting lvl'd up ones? Try def food (tacos give dex too)? Get more pdt I suppose
 Ramuh.Aramachus
By Ramuh.Aramachus 2011-03-07 20:45:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I dunno 100ish was a guess might have been lower but yeah my pdt set isnt good, the phalanx II only has 1 merit and I didnt use any food. Ill improve my set and try some tacos next time and see how it works out, ty for advice
By richwood 2011-03-07 20:53:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Ravenlokk said:
I just use my ninjutsu set, NIN gear already takes ~65 slots as it is... not even counting tools. IIRC with twilight knife its avg around 800 dmg with regular duo atmas (RR GH Siren[i its eva over apoc so i can slack lol- and good for pulling]).

I also Use my Ninjutsu gear set for AE, after we get Azure and Pearl capped which takes all of 15-30 whm Nin duo on VNM/Eph's, just go change atmas to Atmas gales, ultimate, and hells guardian: as already stated above.

1200-1600 damage. Do it kinda like war style, gather em up and go nuts, use drink as well of course.

Takes all of 2-3 pulls to cap Amber.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-07 21:01:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol 1 merit phalanx II... just have him use phalanxga then
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2011-03-22 14:53:55
Link | Quote | Reply

So... I am fail @ brewing shinryu, 2x, lol. I am reading up though, and hearing nice things about Yu spam on him, is this the way to go?