Government Drops Defense Of Anti-gay-marriage Law

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Government drops defense of anti-gay-marriage law
Government drops defense of anti-gay-marriage law
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 8 9 10
 Ramuh.Thunderz
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2011-02-24 12:34:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou said:
hur dur durrrrrr

Then why are you in a forum. If your not going to hear the other side then just open a blog and talk to yourself.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-02-24 12:34:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
Im not an Atheist, Im a non-religious Catholic. I make fun of religious people al the time due to their sheeple-minded attitudes and their beliefs that if they leave their life in the hands of an imaginary being, they'll be able to inherit treasure or some ***like that.
how does that work?
is it the same as a non-practicing jew?
i've always been curious.
my take on it is that you still associate yourself with the belief but don't attend?
yes?
it's still a bit of a false-answer because it's not really fully expressing what you do believe, unless you'd rather just let your words illustrate your beliefs in a not so direct fashion. :P
 Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2011-02-24 12:35:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Starr said:
Yes, I consider myself a REAL Christian (to use his own terms against him) even though I fornicate, lie, etc, I do not think any of these things are any worse than being a homosexual. The point I'm making is I don't do them in Church or in the name of God, or as a pledge to God. I don't think I can make this any clearer than that, there is nothing discriminative with what I am saying about homosexuals not being allowed to be married in Church.

If you don't fornicate in the name of God or as a pledge to God, why do you think a Christian homosexual couple would?
[+]
 Cerberus.Starr
Server: Cerberus
user: Starr
By Cerberus.Starr 2011-02-24 12:35:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Starr said:
Cerberus.Starr said:
Cerberus.Starr said:
Marriage, in a Christian church, done by a Christian priest/pastor/vicar should be solely for those who are Christians as it is not only a pledge to each other but a pledge to God.

I honesty find it interesting that this is your point of contention, not the whole 'gay sex is wrong' thing.

It raises an interesting loop-hole which I'm not sure you've considered:

Are you OK with a gay Christian couple getting married in a church?
I do think gay sex is wrong from a religious view point (and other reasons, but they're off topic), but I also know that noone is married or given in marriage in God's kingdom (Matthew 22:29-30) so I am less worried about Atheists than homosexual Christians being married, because if they are truly Christian then they would repent for their sins if God asked them what they want.

So Weasel was right: you do think gay people can't be Christians, at least not REAL Christians, because being gay is inherently un-Christian?

One final question: why should your beliefs about who should or shouldn't be allowed to be married in a church carry any weight with society? In other words, why is this an issue that should be decided by majority vote and not, say, the Supreme Court?

Keep in mind that there are churches run by gays and lesbians who want the right to marry same-sex couples -- because whether you regard them as Christian or not, they regard themselves as Christian. Let me be clear about my question: I'm not asking why you should have a say in whether or not churches, such as the one you attend, should be forced to marry gay couples against their will (I'm not suggesting any forcing be done at all), I'm asking why you should have a say in whether or not these other churches, which you do not attend, should be allowed to marry the same-sex couples which they wish to marry.

Put simply: why should your religious beliefs dictate the religious lives of others?
So you accuse me of something, then even after stating that I don't believe what you tried to put into my mouth, you write another post again trying to put the same words into my mouth?

I think heterosexual fornication is wrong from a religious view point. Now try and reword that into something that makes me look discriminative.

I think you're confused. I'm not Weasel. Look at the names beside the people commenting to you.

Now will you answer my questions?
You accused me of believing what he stated, whatever if he said it first you still tried to put those words into my mouth also, which I do not believe.

They are not MY religious beliefs but those of anyone who truly loves and appreciates God and follows his scriptures that he told the prophets.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-02-24 12:36:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Wombat said:
Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Put simply: why should your religious beliefs dictate the religious lives of others?
because he finds their actions contradictory to the book that they believe in.
you mean that book written by man whose dates, times, and stories are so flawed they dont even make sense?
Just because I'm bored, I'm going to reply to this >.>

Nearly every major historical event in the Biblical timeline from the life of David (in about 1050 B.C.E.) until the end of the New Testament era (about 95 C.E.), has either outside support (from other cultures) or archaeological backing.
Chupacabra and Bigfoot.
:P
 Cerberus.Starr
By Cerberus.Starr 2011-02-24 12:36:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Starr said:
Yes, I consider myself a REAL Christian (to use his own terms against him) even though I fornicate, lie, etc, I do not think any of these things are any worse than being a homosexual. The point I'm making is I don't do them in Church or in the name of God, or as a pledge to God. I don't think I can make this any clearer than that, there is nothing discriminative with what I am saying about homosexuals not being allowed to be married in Church.

If you don't fornicate in the name of God or as a pledge to God, why do you think a Christian homosexual couple would?
I think you're confused, your lack of reading ability is making this really difficult.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2011-02-24 12:37:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Starr said:

They are not MY religious beliefs but those of anyone who truly loves and appreciates God and follows his scriptures that he told the prophets.

Okay, that's great. So why should the beliefs of anyone who truly loves and appreciates God and follows his scriptures that he told the prophets dictate the religious lives of others?
[+]
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-02-24 12:38:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Starr said:
Cerberus.Starr said:

I think you're confused, your lack of reading ability is making this really difficult.
I actually agree. you were pretty clear what your opinion is.
pretty much to dumb it down you are saying that all sin is bad so the fact that it's homosexual should be irrelevant and a same sex marriage would be tantamount to having gay sex on the altar.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2011-02-24 12:39:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Wombat said:
Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
you mean that book written by man whose dates, times, and stories are so flawed they dont even make sense?

Nearly every major historical event in the Biblical timeline from the life of David (in about 1050 B.C.E.) until the end of the New Testament era (about 95 C.E.), has either outside support (from other cultures) or archaeological backing.
Chupacabra and Bigfoot.
The Lochness Monster
 Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2011-02-24 12:39:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Starr said:
Cerberus.Starr said:

So you don't think homosexual couples fornicate in the name of God or as a pledge to God? Then how is this the difference between you and them? If it's not, what's your basis for denying them the right to get married in a church of their own?
[+]
 Cerberus.Starr
By Cerberus.Starr 2011-02-24 12:39:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I am not dictating anyone, if I was here telling a homosexual personally that they should not do it then you might have a point. I merely posted my opinion on the topic at hand, addressed at noone. I do not judge anyone or tell them what to do, from my opinion, if they are religious then I will simply say "The scriptures say this: xxx". You're arguing with yourself here, please calm down.
 Cerberus.Starr
By Cerberus.Starr 2011-02-24 12:41:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Wombat said:
Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:

Earlier too, I think you'll find these interesting if you can understand the implications of them:

Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2011-02-24 12:42:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Starr said:
I am not dictating anyone, if I was here telling a homosexual personally that they should not do it then you might have a point. I merely posted my opinion on the topic at hand, addressed at noone. I do not judge anyone or tell them what to do, from my opinion, if they are religious then I will simply say "The scriptures say this: xxx". You're arguing with yourself here, please calm down.

But you are. You're addressing your opinion to the entire gay community. You're judging them as sinning and telling them that they should not be allowed to get married in a church.

I'm perfectly calm, you're the one who seems to be flipping out a little here. I'm asking you to justify your position: why should your beliefs about scripture have any bearing at all on other people's lives?

Or do you think they should be allowed to get married in churches despite the fact that you personally think it's wrong?
[+]
 Cerberus.Kalyna
By Cerberus.Kalyna 2011-02-24 12:43:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Starr said:
I don't do them in Church or in the name of God, or as a pledge to God.
You need to be more open, man. Do them in the church parkinglot first, then move up to the church's backyard then in church when nobody's there then during church. Take some risks, man. Don't be a lame guy to your boyfriend
[+]
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-02-24 12:44:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Starr said:

But you are. You're addressing your opinion to the entire gay community. You're judging them as sinning and telling them that they should not be allowed to get married in a church.

I'm perfectly calm, you're the one who seems to be flipping out a little here. I'm asking you to justify your position: why should your beliefs about scripture have any bearing at all on other people's lives?

Or do you think they should be allowed to get married in churches despite the fact that you personally think it's wrong?
Starr is going to be the last person that's going to actually give you a full on straight answer.
He'll be very clear that he can't though.
 Caitsith.Sai
Server: Caitsith
user: Saiii
By Caitsith.Sai 2011-02-24 12:46:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Sai said:
Caitsith.Sai said:

Calling people extremists simply because they believe differntly than you shows that you are more interested in getting your way than finding a solution that can work for both sides. By using inflamatory and inaccurate language you are just a mirror image of the people you argue against.

Well, I personally am more interested in getting my way than finding a solution that can work for both sides. I frankly don't care if the opponents of gay marriage get all worked up if when gay couples start sharing vows in churches or have their relationship recognized by the state or have it called marriage, or whatever. It's not their place to decide who can and can't be in a relationship or what sorts of religious beliefs they're allowed to live according to. If a gay couple wants to be married before God, that's their choice: if a Christian finds that blasphemous, too freaking bad, it's not their decision. They can think whatever they want, but they shouldn't have the power to decide other people's lives for them. If finding a solution that can work for both sides means giving them that power, then there should be no compromise.

This attitude though is why we still fight over the same things instead of progressing. If we can compromise on this issue than we can also find solutions to budget problems and welfare problems and education problems and so forth. We simply cannot afford the my way or the highway approach when we live in a country that has a 50/50 split on so many important issues. There is a reason we are stuck in neutral while other countries move forward.

We have to be able to work together even if that means giving concessions that we dont really want to give.

We sure can afford the 'my way or the highway approach': it's called the court system. It's historically been very useful at ending oppression by the majority (like we see here), where 'compromise' is really just code for: "We don't want to give up our unfair privileges."

The reason we're still fighting over this instead of progressing forward is because a bunch of incredibly rich Republicans funded a massive, very successful campaign to scare the public into thinking that gay marriage would undermine The American FamilyTM and corrupt our schools, and so when gay marriage was enacted in many states (progress) we had a massive voter backlash (regress.) Soon enough, though, it won't matter anymore, because enough people in government are realizing that this issue isn't something that should be determined by majority vote anyways: it's an issue of civil liberties within the scope of the Constitution, and should be addressed by the courts.

A public that refuses to work together and blames everything on dem/repub (like there is actually a difference) is so much easier to control don't you think?
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2011-02-24 12:47:08
Link | Quote | Reply

the only time a gay man sins is when he goes ***-to-mouth...
By Wombat 2011-02-24 12:47:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Wombat said:
Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:

Chupacabra and Bigfoot.
That's not what I mean. I'm talking about the accuracy of the Biblical timeline in regards to world history (as we understand it). Pivotal battles, the rise and fall of empires, and things like that are, for the most part, really accurately recorded in the Bible.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2011-02-24 12:47:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Sai said:

A public that refuses to work together and blames everything on dem/repub (like there is actually a difference) is so much easier to control don't you think?

What does control have to do with it? I thought we were talking about people's civil liberties.
 Cerberus.Starr
By Cerberus.Starr 2011-02-24 12:49:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Starr said:

So by posting in this thread I am addressing every homosexual in the world? I don't think so. I am not judging anyone, I'm a sinner, EVERYONE is a sinner. I am saying that I don't think anyone should do anything sinful IN a religious place under the guidance of a religious representative, in the name of God (I really, really cannot understand what you are missing here, really).

I have never been calmer. They are not "my beliefs", please take all scriptures related to homosexuality and try and interpret them to make them sound like God does not mind it.

Stop shooting the messenger, seriously. So you're mad at religion and don't wanna follow God, so what, don't aim all your misconceptions and disagreements at me, I posted my opinion on the topic at hand, aimed at noone, which is exactly what discussion forums are for. I am not here to answer your every question.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2011-02-24 12:50:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Sai said:

What does control have to do with it? I thought we were talking about people's civil liberties.
i think Sai means when the general public puts the blame on one of two political parties, it will be easier to sway them into voting for one or the other, regardless of the political agenda.
By Wombat 2011-02-24 12:52:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Starr said:
Wombat said:
Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:

Earlier too, I think you'll find these interesting if you can understand the implications of them:
I have a ~20 page packet at home with Biblically relevant archeological discoveries, from one of my Old Testament courses.

The ones listed above are just the tip of the iceberg. If you get into finds that are "disputed" there are even more.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2011-02-24 12:52:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Starr said:
Cerberus.Starr said:

So by posting in this thread I am addressing every homosexual in the world? I don't think so. I am not judging anyone, I'm a sinner, EVERYONE is a sinner. I am saying that I don't think anyone should do anything sinful IN a religious place under the guidance of a religious representative, in the name of God (I really, really cannot understand what you are missing here, really).

I have never been calmer. They are not "my beliefs", please take all scriptures related to homosexuality and try and interpret them to make them sound like God does not mind it.

Stop shooting the messenger, seriously. So you're mad at religion and don't wanna follow God, so what, don't aim all your misconceptions and disagreements at me, I posted my opinion on the topic at hand, aimed at noone, which is exactly what discussion forums are for. I am not here to answer your every question.

Oh. Ok. I misunderstood. I thought these were your beliefs, not God's. You're just the messenger.

That makes my question the easiest of all: why should God's word have any say at all over our laws?
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2011-02-24 12:54:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
Caitsith.Sai said:

i think Sai means when the general public puts the blame on one of two political parties, it will be easier to sway them into voting for one or the other, regardless of the political agenda.

Eh, that's probably true, but it doesn't mean that we need to compromise, here. Sometimes one side of a debate is simply wrong.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2011-02-24 12:54:31
Link | Quote | Reply

so what, I can find a piece of broken pottery in my back yard right now and claim its from the BC years when people made ***out of bat ***or something.

If it was found by human hands, and no one understands it, those hands will twist the truth to fit their needs. Therefore, it will be flawed, just like the bible.
 Bahamut.Weasel
Server: Bahamut
user: Weasel
By Bahamut.Weasel 2011-02-24 12:55:01
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Cerberus.Starr
By Cerberus.Starr 2011-02-24 12:55:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Starr said:
Cerberus.Starr said:

Oh. Ok. I misunderstood. I thought these were your beliefs, not God's. You're just the messenger.

That makes my question the easiest of all: why should God's word have any say at all over our laws?
Because we owe everything to God, you wouldn't even be here to ask that question if it wasn't for him, that's just what people fail to appreciate.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2011-02-24 12:55:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
Caitsith.Sai said:

Eh, that's probably true, but it doesn't mean that we need to compromise, here. Sometimes one side of a debate is simply wrong.
they're starting to hire married priests. That alone should raise quite some eyebrows at the church because they've force fed us *** about celibacy for a long time.

Now that priests are *** altar boys to quench their obvious human urge for sex, the Vatican will change the rules yet again to allow this.
 Cerberus.Starr
By Cerberus.Starr 2011-02-24 12:56:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
so what, I can find a piece of broken pottery in my back yard right now and claim its from the BC years when people made ***out of bat ***or something.

If it was found by human hands, and no one understands it, those hands will twist the truth to fit their needs. Therefore, it will be flawed, just like the bible.
Ahh, the mature, intelligent and informed input of Kungfu, how I have missed posting here the last week.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2011-02-24 12:59:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Starr said:
Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:

Ahh, the mature, intelligent and informed input of Kungfu, how I have missed posting here the last week.
I know you miss it when I shoot your beliefs and arguments right out the sky.

But seriously, why can't the Vatican change the rules (since theyre so good at it) to allow gays to marry since its obvious gays aren't going anywhere?
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 8 9 10