Becoming the best
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Cerberus.Finalvegeta
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
By Cerberus.Finalvegeta 2011-02-10 11:54:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Neisan said:
Aside from Varuna's with Beyond Atma (due to how Magian Staves are calculated) the Staves are the single biggest damage increase you can invest in, more than several pieces of gear. The problem is you're not going to use all 8 of them.

Ice/Thunder in 4 months/Dark are worth the investment if you're serious about blm, maybe Fire if you have time to spare, the others are result of boredom or dedication.

Varuna is still a big increase in damage. Can't think of a piece that would get you a bigger boost. Dark staff? for Drains? oO I don't even use drain/aspir anymore really. Never needed
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2011-02-10 12:11:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Hohenheim said:
It's arguably less as I said before. With so much mab inside abyssea, 10 mab on ring has a much higher diminishing return than outside abyssea when compared to 7int ring now, and the trade off isn't worth it to me. Hell, why don't you just pop a fanatic's drink and a brew on every mob you kill?

I'm unaware of a diminishing return on MAB. I'm aware of a diminishing return on INT. Can you link some sites that show calculations about the MAB diminishing return?
 Carbuncle.Ronson
Server: Carbuncle
user: ronson
By Carbuncle.Ronson 2011-02-10 12:19:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Titan.Darkwizardzin said:
Hey everyone now that it looks like im gonna be having alot of free time in the near future I want to give my black mage a complete overhawl in its effectiveness. In short I want to become one of the best black mages on my server.

In order to make this happen I need to improve my gear sets that I use greatly. some of them don't need much like my nuking set. others need a ton of crap like my idle set. but overall I think I need improvement in all areas and I can't do this all by my self easly.

I just posted all of my gear sets on my profile page (I left a few out like my cure set and my SS set but I don't think I need to post those). I just ask that some of you post like one or 2 gear pieces you would add/remove from a set and why.

I greatly appreciate your feedback for this and I look forward to your suggestions. :)

Edit:
Quote:
I macro the following gear in my nuking set based on some condistions:

Searing Cape (when emnity doesn't matter/soloing)
elemental obis (only have dark/ice/thunder atm)
Uggalepih pendant (for latent)
Twilight cape, sorcerer's tomban (for day/weather)

Gl with that tho.

there is no such thing as the best,at best you can become equal to the other top blm's(i.e by getting the best gear in game).
unless you have some to secret gear we dont know about that is "ZOMG i pawn youz all!"
 Quetzalcoatl.Mikania
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Mikania
By Quetzalcoatl.Mikania 2011-02-10 12:20:44
Link | Quote | Reply

This should explain it a bit. I can scan you parts of my economic book, but I think I sold it...

Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2011-02-10 12:25:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Mikania said:
This should explain it a bit. I can scan you parts of my economic book, but I think I sold it...

Theory (especially when dealing with economic theory) is not the same thing as an example of actual calculations. Which is why I asked for the calculations for this problem.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2011-02-10 12:52:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I can give you a more thorough derivation if you desire, but using number substitution:

MAB part of the damage equation is

MAB/MDB, and this is multiplicative. Note MAB starts at 1.00 here.

Assuming MDB of 1.00 to simplify matters (though it is easy to prove that the result is independent of MDB), your increase in MAB is given by the ratio of your new MAB and old MAB, eg 5 MAB to a 0 base => 0.05/1 = 5% increase in damage of this term. However, add this same 5 MAB to a 50 base and you get 0.05/1.5 = 3.33% increase in damage of this term... etc. Decreasing returns.
 Quetzalcoatl.Mikania
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Mikania
By Quetzalcoatl.Mikania 2011-02-10 13:11:08
Link | Quote | Reply

MAB Rate of return ((mab(f)-mab(i))/(mab(i))
0.02 100.000%
0.03 50.000%
0.04 33.333%
0.05 25.000%
0.06 20.000%
0.07 16.667%
0.08 14.286%
0.09 12.500%
0.10 11.111%
0.11 10.000%
0.12 9.091%
0.13 8.333%
0.14 7.692%
0.15 7.143%
0.16 6.667%
0.17 6.250%
0.18 5.882%
0.19 5.556%
0.20 5.263%
0.21 5.000%
0.22 4.762%
0.23 4.545%
0.24 4.348%
0.25 4.167%
0.50 2.041%
1.00 1.010%
655.35 0.002%

RoR
MAB
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2011-02-10 13:22:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
I can give you a more thorough derivation if you desire, but using number substitution:

MAB part of the damage equation is

MAB/MDB, and this is multiplicative. Note MAB starts at 1.00 here.

Assuming MDB of 1.00 to simplify matters (though it is easy to prove that the result is independent of MDB), your increase in MAB is given by the ratio of your new MAB and old MAB, eg 5 MAB to a 0 base => 0.05/1 = 5% increase in damage of this term. However, add this same 5 MAB to a 50 base and you get 0.05/1.5 = 3.33% increase in damage of this term... etc. Decreasing returns.

Ok, thanks! Running figures and playing around with formula.
Server: Titan
user: batboy267
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2011-02-22 08:48:14
Link | Quote | Reply

ok I've updated my idle set a bit.. added a -5% PDT cape and the sorc earring. Other then the augmented dark rings is there anything else i can use for -pdt? (if not then im going to work on a refresh set).

Also if anyone has any tips for my other sets im still open for them.
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-02-22 09:02:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Overall, your gear sets look excellent to me.

Since you asked, a few suggestions for possible upgrades:

Dark set: Nashira Manteel
INT set: Augur's Jaseran
Enfeebling set: Macero Grip, Portent Pants
Nuke set: Searing Cape?
 Bahamut.Dasva
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-22 09:03:55
Link | Quote | Reply

While MAB isn't as good in abyssea neither is int and 10 MAB will pretty much beat 7 int any day
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-22 09:11:14
Link | Quote | Reply

ok I've updated my idle set a bit.. added a -5% PDT cape and the sorc earring. Other then the augmented dark rings is there anything else i can use for -pdt? (if not then im going to work on a refresh set).

Also if anyone has any tips for my other sets im still open for them.
Um not much for blm. Succor ring for 3% DT, patronus for 2% pdt, jelly for 5% pdt um defending ring... be much easier to comment if you had your sets in the OP so we could just look on there instead of having 2 pages open 1 for the response and another going thru each of your sets
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2011-02-22 09:13:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
ok I've updated my idle set a bit.. added a -5% PDT cape and the sorc earring. Other then the augmented dark rings is there anything else i can use for -pdt? (if not then im going to work on a refresh set). Also if anyone has any tips for my other sets im still open for them.
Um not much for blm. Succor ring for 3% DT, patronus for 2% pdt, jelly for 5% pdt um defending ring... be much easier to comment if you had your sets in the OP so we could just look on there instead of having 2 pages open 1 for the response and another going thru each of your sets
ok i'll do that now. how do you post a set?
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-22 09:16:25
Link | Quote | Reply

ok i'll do that now. how do you post a set?
[itemset ]number of the set[/ itemset]
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2011-02-22 09:26:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Op updated Dasva
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-22 09:41:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Enfeebling...

Really lots of things you could add. Macero Grip. goliard feet. macc/int rings/ammo. Portent Pants. Witch sash... but might be more than you need most the time

Dark: Nashira Manteel, Merciful Cape +drain/aspir potency gear, Zelus Tiara, haste belt and then jam as much macc/int in the rest of the slots. If it's for stun just go all out on haste/fastcast then skill/macc/int but you will tend to land just fine without or cant usually

Elemental Enfeebling: I'd probably just use HQ staffs unless they found a tier after 150+ int... some more macc might be nice too.

Nuking: Searing cape, sorc ring, Vivid Strap +1. Latent gear when applicable

HMP:... idk I could look but I can't remember the last time I rested on blm... most my hmp gear is on mules now lol.

Idle: refresh hairpin/pants also good for resting. Some kind of rings for pdt/mdt/dt. Um if you are using sorc ring some more convert hp to mp (you wont have the hp anyways so might as well have the total be lower so if you do take a hit you lose more emnity... and ya know keep more mp maybe I guess). Flawless Ribbon would be an interesting idle peice if you care.

In a roundabout way this kinda reminds me to get rid of my balrhans ring for another since the macc hardly matters anymore and I never get the refresh effect
By sefalon 2011-02-22 09:59:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Isn't there a mab magian staff that you could use to cover all elemental spells? Has like 12 mab I think. Would that be worth doing or is the elemental specific staff more damage?
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2011-02-22 10:02:04
Link | Quote | Reply

sefalon said:
Isn't there a mab magian staff that you could use to cover all elemental spells? Has like 12 mab I think. Would that be worth doing or is the elemental specific staff more damage?
the only "magian" staff like that is blm mythic. and even then the elemental specific staffs do more damage then that does due to the diminshing returns that MAB has.
[+]
By sefalon 2011-02-22 10:12:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Shareeravadi +2. Int +9 mab +12..... LOOK IT UP IT EXISTS
[+]
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2011-02-22 10:13:03
Link | Quote | Reply

sefalon said:
................still not better then the affinty staffs for reasons i've already said. >.>
[+]
By sefalon 2011-02-22 10:15:05
Link | Quote | Reply

So u have done test to back up your claim? You didn't even know it existed your credibility is not so hot right now
[+]
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2011-02-22 10:22:39
Link | Quote | Reply

sefalon read this.

With the magian updates mythic finaly beats the HQ elemental staffs but falls short to the +2 mangian staffs that replaced them. If the mythic can't match them your staff sure as heck can't enther.
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-02-22 10:25:08
Link | Quote | Reply

sefalon said:
sefalon said:
So u have done test to back up your claim? You didn't even know it existed your credibility is not so hot right now

Is this a serious post, Sefalon?

Normal everyday HQ level 51 elemental staves have a well-documented hidden effect of element-specific Magic damage +15% and Magic Accuracy of +30.

Unless you're trying to avoid carrying 8 elemental staffs in your inventory, this Shareeravadi +2 is only useful as firewood.

Your credibility isn't so hot right now ...
[+]
 Siren.Kunimatsu
Server: Siren
user: Kunimatsu
By Siren.Kunimatsu 2011-02-22 10:27:50
Link | Quote | Reply

9 INT and 12 MAB won't come close to an ele stave.....
[+]
 Siren.Kunimatsu
user: Kunimatsu
By Siren.Kunimatsu 2011-02-22 10:29:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Elanabelle said:
Normal everyday HQ level 51 elemental staves have a well-documented hidden effect of element-specific MAB+15

No.
[+]
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2011-02-22 10:32:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Elanabelle the elemental staffs don't have MAB they have Magic affinity.
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2011-02-22 10:54:42
Link | Quote | Reply

sefalon read this.

With the magian updates mythic finaly beats the HQ elemental staffs but falls short to the +2 mangian staffs that replaced them. If the mythic can't match them your staff sure as heck can't enther.
I even did the math for you using a current formula based on conparing a mythic staff that has been fully magian updated to level 90 and a mangian +2 staff:

1.3 = (100 + 50 + y)/(100 + y)

y = 66.6666522222

take away the MAB from the staff and you have a cut off of 16.66~ and that is very easy for a blm to hit. heck our magic attack bouns trait alone lets us already hit that so its doomed before we even begin.
By sefalon 2011-02-22 10:57:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I am not making a case one way or another I asked a question and it seemed I got a basic answer without an explanation. My response would have been avoided if I received a logical response since you are right I would prefer to not have to make a crap load of staffs if the damage output is not that big of a difference. My credibility comment was based on him making the comment of no there is not said staff that I mentioned. I made no claims myself. Gimps are made in this game by listening to other people without doing your own research.
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2011-02-22 10:58:41
Link | Quote | Reply

sefalon said:
I am not making a case one way or another I asked a question and it seemed I got a basic answer without an explanation. My response would have been avoided if I received a logical response since you are right I would prefer to not have to make a crap load of staffs if the damage output is not that big of a difference. My credibility comment was based on him making the comment of no there is not said staff that I mentioned. I made no claims myself. gimps are made in this game by listening to other people without doing your own research.
...I posted the test you wanted. What else do you want from me?
[+]
 Siren.Thoraeon
user: Thoraeon
By Siren.Thoraeon 2011-02-22 11:08:40
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]