Random Thoughts.....What Are You Thinking?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Undead » Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
First Page 2 3 ... 22672 22673 22674 ... 22706 22707 22708
By Afania 2024-08-08 08:28:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
The act of having money does not cause you to expend it. Being stupid with money, does.

This is why we purposely avoid teaching people financial literacy. Always live beyond your means, always want more, your reach should exceed your grasp. It's all to keep you consuming. If we have financially literate humans the system would collapse. There wouldn't be hummers and ferraris and mcmansions.

You dont need a car that can do 200mph or a 50,000 square foot home, but you want one and he has one so why don't you.

If there are a lot of money available in economy but nobody spend them, that's actually bad for economic growth.

In fact, that's what's currently happening in economy atm. Money availability has been decreasing from QT, companies continue to layoff because people don't want to spend money on consumables. So those companies can't make money selling stuff.

in 2023-2024, insane amount of money entered stock market and crypto currency market, as well as real estates, pushing the prices of those assets insanely high. Rich people are becoming more rich from those assets. But none of those companies are making enough money to support the current stock market price, because people dont spend them on consumables.

This is what you get when people don't spend but hold money in their accounts: worse economy and riches becoming more rich from stock market/crypto/real estate price increase and poor people lose jobs due to the lack of business.

I am not sure how this is a good thing at all.

Realistically people spending money on consumables and small amount of inflation is good for the economy and society imo.
By RadialArcana 2024-08-08 08:34:54
Link | Quote | Reply

UBI will only work if it's a digital currency, people are only able to spend it on specific things and it is deleted after a month so people can't save it up.
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-08-08 08:43:42
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »
UBI will only work if it's a digital currency, people are only able to spend it on specific things and it is deleted after a month so people can't save it up.

UBI would (SHOULD!) be automatically applied, giving no room for "mistakes"

Your rent paid. Your electric paid. Your water paid. Basic internet paid.

Not you getting money.

Now, of course, there will be skimming and embezzlement and bribery, these are human failings that can't be stopped.
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2024-08-08 08:45:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Your rent paid. Your electric paid.
Would need to be a fixed cap, and then you end up with rising rent and electricity prices taking advantage of it. Otherwise, you just end up with people having UBI pay for their luxury apartment and ethereum mining operation.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-08-08 08:50:27
Link | Quote | Reply

We're expressing basic fundamentals. Not logistics. Basic Universal Income. A set amount to cover basic living. Not unlimited electricity, not unlimited water, not pick whatever house you want.

Yes. New York UBI and Montana UBI would be different. etc.

Rent doesn't automatically go up, rent would have no choice but to go down. We'd have more apartments and more houses. This is exactly why it will never happen. We consider housing a store of value, not a place to live.

We can build a billion houses, except everyone counting on their property as valuable will be broke over night.
By Afania 2024-08-08 08:52:43
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »

UBI would (SHOULD!) be automatically applied, giving no room for "mistakes"

Your rent paid. Your electric paid. Your water paid. Basic internet paid.

This will leads to people wasting water and electric for no reason lol. Unless how much you use are tracked by points.

I don't think inflation is UBI's biggest problem anyways. The real question is "how much more tax do we need to pay to support every citizens rent/water/electric?"

Someone has to pay for that, but nobody wants to pay.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-08-08 08:53:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Gotta make sure the government lets us know what is and isnt misinformation.

Case in point: the Brampton shitter.

So for those of you who are unaware, theres been an influx of people defecating in the streets of Canada, and someone just happened to catch someone taking a *** at a gas station pump.
A former member of the Canadian Government insisted the picture is fake. That they own the property and it never happened. This is just misinformation from the far-right Nazis who hate immigration to make Indian people look bad!
Turns out, whoever took the picture had the function on their phone that saves pictures as a short video, so they dropped the full clip to prove its not photoshopped. The disgraced MP never followed up.
The same dude was caught a second time doing the same thing in a different location.

Just a typical case of misinformation on Twitter.

I got another one, it doesnt involve excrement.

A week ago there was a meeting with parliamentary committee about "the status of women" and a group of women were there to discuss the alarming increase of domestic abuse as well as their stories of survival.
They were forcibly silenced and left unheard because the people holding the meeting were more concerned about other things like abortion, even though there are no laws in Canada preventing it. They ultimately stormed out in disgust in tears.
The MP who silenced the victims has now claimed that these are "traps set by the far-right" (her words, as that MP is supposedly the author of that article, I have no idea what the political affiliation of that website is).

Another classic case of Misinformation from the far-right.

And one from across the pond:
Just a peaceful protester, unlike those violent Nazi rioting thugs on the far right. Far-right misinformationists would have you believe this upstanding citizen was slashing the tires of that van. Thats misinformation. He was just checking the air pressure
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-08-08 08:56:19
Link | Quote | Reply

You're already paying for it, it's just being thrown into a blackhole instead of used properly. And/or directly into someones pockets.
 Bahamut.Negan
Server: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2024-08-08 09:09:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
theres been an influx of people defecating in the streets of Canada
Gee I wonder who, Hmmmm

YouTube Video Placeholder
By Afania 2024-08-08 09:22:38
Link | Quote | Reply

You're already paying for it, it's just being thrown into a blackhole instead of used properly. And/or directly into someones pockets.

Is it really enough though? I am bad at math and numbers so let's judge my math skill and feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Total US population: 345,618,582.

Average monthly living cost in the US: $2500-$3500.
Yearly cost per people: 30000-42000

Yearly cost for everybody:
$10,368,557,460,000-$14,515,980,444,000

Us tax collected in 2023: 4.44 trillion.

I don't know how much is "4.44 trillion" in English so I asked chatGPT to translate that into numbers. chatGPT said
"4,440,000,000,000"

Welp, it looks like even if every cent from tax are used to pay people's living expenses, it's still not enough.

Maybe the better solution is asking people to earn their own rent instead? I certainly don't want my tax being used on paying everyone's living expenses when it could be spent on more useful things like infrastructures, hospital, library, military or schools that improves life quality. Other people should earn money for their own rent.

Hell, even giving my tax money to disabled person in need is better use than giving the money to some random people who can afford rent already. It's a waste of money to give money to everyone if plenty of people can afford their own and don't need help.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2024-08-08 09:33:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Thorny said: »
Keynesian economics is a very questionable theory.
It also depends on a free market. It cannot function where there are monopolies, price controls, subsidies or other government interventions. Or, in other words, real world situations.
By RadialArcana 2024-08-08 09:38:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »
I don't think inflation is UBI's biggest problem anyways. The real question is "how much more tax do we need to pay to support every citizens rent/water/electric?"

People pay taxes for things like this, cause it's a form of population control.

You simply cannot have well off people, living in nice areas and expect the masses to not come rampaging if they are starving / angry.

You can have gated communities protected by private military forces I guess, but will that be cheaper and a more enjoyable living experience than just paying taxes for UBI/food stamps and w/e and keeping the masses placated that way?

People have this idea that western nations are civilized, they really aren't. It's only the systems we have in place that make them appear so.
By Afania 2024-08-08 09:41:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Rent doesn't automatically go up, rent would have no choice but to go down. We'd have more apartments and more houses.

There are no economic evidence to support such theory. Since UBI itself doesn't stop people from buying houses.

If there are 1000 houses and 1000 family in the economy, but one rich person bought 300 houses, so only 700 houses left for remaining 999 families.

The rent fee will be set to whatever the first 700 families are willing to pay because demand > need in this case.

UBI itself doesn't make every income equal nor stop people from buying all things in demand in the market. There are no evidence that proves UBI solves such problems in the society afaik.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-08-08 09:42:40
Link | Quote | Reply

As I said, humans will *** it up.

Everything works perfectly, if you remove the humans ability to *** it up.

Anything accomplishable has to compensate for human failings, and that's why nothing ever gets done. (not literally nothing, lesser forms and compromises, instead of optimum outcomes happen)
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-08-08 09:49:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Negan said: »
theres been an influx of people defecating in the streets of Canada
Gee I wonder who, Hmmmm

[yout-ube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l01AMCBG0Wk[/youtube]
Now now the race, gender, religion, sexual orientation dont matter. After all, there was a video of a white dude getting caught shitting in public too.

But my govt also spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to inform the lovely citizens of Ghana that shitting in public is bad.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/politics/diplomats-fretted-about-canadian-funding-for-ghana-outdoor-defecation-campaign-1.4035191
I wish i was joking lol
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-08-08 09:49:52
Link | Quote | Reply

UBI is bad
Earn your own way
By Afania 2024-08-08 10:05:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I am not against the idea of free money coming into my pocket every month.

I just don't think it's realistically doable without tax increase: which makes us more poor anyways.

Tell your local business that 50% of revenue goes to the government, they'll quickly move their capital to Cayman Islands.

Which means less capital and jobs in an economy to collect tax from. So who will pay for UBI then?

No such thing as free lunch.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-08-08 10:07:57
Link | Quote | Reply

All taxable income goes to the caymens as it is already. All ships of business fly under tax haven flags. All businesses operate out of tax haven states.

Everything is one big tax grift. If we spent 10% of the energy into making things better that people put into hiding their money, the outcome would be immeasurable.
[+]
By Afania 2024-08-08 10:09:37
Link | Quote | Reply

All taxable income goes to the caymens as it is already.

Some, not all.

And one of the reason is because business tax is very low compared with income tax. That serves as an incentive for the business to stay.

You make them pay more, they'll just leave.
By Viciouss 2024-08-08 10:09:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Borderlands review embargo has been lifted. Debuts to a whopping 4% on RT. No one asked for this movie.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-08-08 10:12:29
Link | Quote | Reply

You make them pay more, they'll just leave.

Then they can't operate a business anymore, and someone who will play by the rules fills the void.

This is how it should be, but bribes exist, so.
("Bribe" being a simplification of "fines" "fees" "lawyers and/or courts" it's all just money for playcation. Theater for the serfs.)
By Afania 2024-08-08 10:26:42
Link | Quote | Reply

and someone who will play by the rules fills the void

Who will be that person? No one has the obligation to keep their money in a country if they make no profit from that country. If you make a rule that business must pay high tax, people move their capitals to a different country period.

Which means more people lose jobs. And politicians all knows bad economy and bad job market = no votes. That's why they can't never increase business tax as much as they like.
By Pantafernando 2024-08-08 10:28:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Vyre said: »
I love boobs
I also love boobs

I like glasses
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-08-08 10:43:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Who will be that person? No one has the obligation to keep their money in a country if they make no profit from that country. If you make a rule that business must pay high tax, people move their capitals to a different country period.

Which means more people lose jobs. And politicians all knows bad economy and bad job market = no votes. That's why they can't never increase business tax as much as they like.

This is called, humans *** it up. I'm not sure how many times it needs to be explained.

Self interest, profit, blahdyblah etc ad nausea.
By Afania 2024-08-08 11:06:56
Link | Quote | Reply

This is called, humans *** it up. I'm not sure how many times it needs to be explained.

Self interest, profit, blahdyblah etc ad nausea.

If there are no evidence that UBI can work in human society . Then the whole "UBI allows a human to be what a human is supposed to be, not a worker drone" is just propaganda/emotional argument at this point.

Economy system IS designed to support human society, a good economy system is what makes most human in the society happy. What's the point to design an economy system if it only works in a world without human?

Sounds pointless.

Also just FYI, even in current society plenty of people can accomplish "be what human is supposed to be, not a worker's drone" status. I know plenty of people managed to retired at 35-40 yr old with only their passive income. They are doing "humans what humans supposed to do" np without UBI money.

UBI is not by all end all the only path that leads to freedom. Feel free to make this system work and change my mind about it though.
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2024-08-08 11:07:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm pretty sure Eiryl's ideal society is the Borg...

your concept is only viable in a theoretical vacuum. And only if everyone everywhere sacrifices all sense of self to the collective.
[+]
By Afania 2024-08-08 11:15:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Shadowmeld said: »
I'm pretty sure Eiryl's ideal society is the Borg...

your concept is only viable in a theoretical vacuum. And only if everyone everywhere sacrifices all sense of self to the collective.

Even from a collective standpoint, increasing tax and giving it to everyone, including those don't need money, is still hardly social justice.

True social justice is giving money to those who needs it. Resources low on healthcare? Give more resources to healthcare. Disabled person needs help? Give money to those who needs help.

When you give money to everybody, it means those who needs money gets less resources because people who don't need money still gets money when they are perfectly fine without UBI.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-08-08 11:16:39
Link | Quote | Reply

True social justice is giving money to those who needs it.
Yes, I love working my *** off just so some lazy piece of ***who sits at home smoking weed playing ps5 all day gets a cut of my earnings.

There is no free money. All that student debt that was wiped out didnt magically disappear, people will be paying for it.
 Bismarck.Josiahflaming
Server: Bismarck
user: Josiahafk
By Bismarck.Josiahflaming 2024-08-08 11:18:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know how much is "4.44 trillion" in English so I asked chatGPT to translate that into numbers. chatGPT said
"4,440,000,000,000"
I thought everyone knew what a trillion was, it's the one afterwards that most people don't know since we have no economies that big yet.

definitely too big a number to visualize an amount of though, but still.
By Afania 2024-08-08 11:20:35
Link | Quote | Reply

True social justice is giving money to those who needs it.
Yes, I love working my *** off just so some lazy piece of ***who sits at home smoking weed playing ps5 all day gets a cut of my earnings.

That's pretty much what UBI is though. Free money for everybody, but nobody wants to be that person paying for the tax!
First Page 2 3 ... 22672 22673 22674 ... 22706 22707 22708