Random Thoughts.....What Are You Thinking?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Undead » Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
First Page 2 3 ... 22657 22658 22659 ... 22705 22706 22707
 Fenrir.Niflheim
VIP
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Tesahade
By Fenrir.Niflheim 2024-07-22 10:45:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »
Quote:
Visible-minority individuals born in Canada
I find this an odd qualifier, does this mean the stat does not hold true for "visible-minorities" not born in Canada? what is the percentage of "visible-minorities" born in Canada to those not born in Canada in their work force.
By Afania 2024-07-22 10:45:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
Except if your company only make $12 a month
I think you need a new job.

That number is just simplified number, to make math easier to understand.

You can change that $12 per month revenue to a bigger number like 12 million, it doesn't increase a company's risk tolerance if they spend 11.9 million per month.

The whole point is that when a company owner prioritize survival over best practices, many "bad decisions" becomes understandable.

If your numbers are simplified, then it stands to reason that ALL the numbers you posted are simplified to the same formula.

So if "$12 per month" was actually "12 million per month", then you're suggesting that "maintaining a system in a bad way is 10 million per month", the same million dollar multiplier.

I think your company is in shambles. Maybe you should have gone with merit based hiring instead of DEI checkbox based hiring, you wouldnt have this problem.

If you're gonna use "simple numbers for simplicity", you have to use the same ratio throughout the post.

What do you mean by "you"? I am not a westerner, there are no such thing as "DEI hiring" in my country since most of the population are the same race. The lack of DEI hiring doesn't magically make all businesses in my country more competitive. You are blaming on the wrong thing if you think DEI is the only reason behind failing a business.

The key for a business to survive is still about having a healthy cash flow with or without DEI. My point is that if management made "sub optimal decisions", that's often because optimal decisions may create more financial risks to the business. So many small business owners tend to avoid them for short term benefits from my experience.

This is not DEI issue, this is just business 101.
By Afania 2024-07-22 10:47:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Niflheim said: »
Quote:
I find this an odd qualifier, does this mean the stat does not hold true for "visible-minorities" not born in Canada? what is the percentage of "visible-minorities" born in Canada to those not born in Canada in their work force.

Visible minority not born in Canada are often work visa holders with certain valuable skill. Or they apply PR using their professional skills.

I know plenty of people that are work visa holders irl, they find jobs easy because they are high demand skill workers. They often have even higher salary than people born in Canada working on a low skill demand job.
 Fenrir.Niflheim
VIP
By Fenrir.Niflheim 2024-07-22 10:49:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

Visible minority not born in Canada are often work visa holders with certain valuable skill. Or they apply PR using their professional skills.

I know plenty of people are work visa holders irl, they find jobs easy because they are high demand skill workers.

So their race doesn't matter because they are skilled workers?

So "born in Canada" is really a filter on whether they have skills? Richybear I got news for you!
[+]
By Afania 2024-07-22 10:54:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »
Probably just luck. Because out of all polls and studies that I've seen, being a visible minority reduces your chances in Canada.

I think you missed the message of his story. The person in question was a white dude, not a visible minority, so...not luck...

Or maybe you could call it luck if you are considering the fact that he was born in Canada as a white man

Probably just rolling a low dice number on luck stat*
By Afania 2024-07-22 10:57:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

I know plenty of people are work visa holders irl, they find jobs easy because they are high demand skill workers.

So their race doesn't matter because they are skilled workers?

So "born in Canada" is really a filter on whether they have skills? Richybear I got news for you!

Honestly, I think more study is needed if you want more detailed differentiation between different industry, jobs and demographics.

I think certain industry or business types are more likely to hire certain group and vice versa.

Regardless, I think claims from either side (white getting privilege or disadvantage) is just personal anecdotes without strong evidence to support the claim anyways.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-07-22 11:26:08
Link | Quote | Reply

What do you mean by "you"?
You as in "your company only makes $12 a month"
By Afania 2024-07-22 11:30:08
Link | Quote | Reply

What do you mean by "you"?
You as in "your company only makes $12 a month"

.......that was simplified math, not a real example.

Also what's so weird about "make $12 a month"? Due to the nature of certain business type that needs long development cycles, Plenty of companies made exactly $0 a month for years until a cycle is complete. I can find dozens of public traded company with negative EPS or 0 income per month on their financial statements.

In the field of business this is extremely common actually. You are overreacting lol.
 Bismarck.Josiahflaming
Server: Bismarck
user: Josiahafk
By Bismarck.Josiahflaming 2024-07-22 11:39:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe they dont have employment because they're getting more money via govt handouts then they would make slaving at a minimum wage job?

You're going off the presumption that they are actively looking for a job.
Both those types of government assistance plans and research surveys always ask "are you actively seeking employment"

But if you meant we need stricter enforcement for evidence to this end that individuals are actively looking, that's a different conversation.

I don't think they include individuals on a reservation getting enough money supplemented that they have no intention of leaving their land etc.
 Fenrir.Niflheim
VIP
By Fenrir.Niflheim 2024-07-22 11:48:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly, I think more study is needed if you want more detailed differentiation between different industry, jobs and demographics.

I think certain industry or business types are more likely to hire certain group and vice versa.

Regardless, I think claims from either side (white getting privilege or disadvantage) is just personal anecdotes without strong evidence to support the claim anyways.
all the studies get twisted to mean something more then they actually do, to fit some desired statement. News media wants click not to spread information, so we just keep getting more fluff/rage.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-07-22 11:51:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Modern era news isnt about being right, its about being first.
[+]
 Bismarck.Josiahflaming
By Bismarck.Josiahflaming 2024-07-22 11:57:57
Link | Quote | Reply

There is strong evidence. For example one study looked at the percentage of white students applying for scholarships versus how many receive them

And the white students interviewed stated they felt that it was harder for them to secure scholarships due to how much was geared towards minority students etc

The interviewer then produced study results stating despite white students only being 60% of the people applying for the scholarships, they still secured 67% of them in total. Meaning the results showed they were still over-represented, but not in the drastic way 10-20 years ago of maybe getting 85% of the scholarships and being 75% of the scholarship applicants for example
By Afania 2024-07-22 12:05:29
Link | Quote | Reply

all the studies get twisted to mean something more then they actually do, to fit some desired statement. News media wants click not to spread information, so we just keep getting more fluff/rage.

That's why it's important to look at data as it is.

Just based from data I think white getting an advantage is probably true at least in some cases. Maybe it doesn't apply to all industry for all jobs, but such situation probably existed at least somewhere.

Is it a high priority to eliminate such advantage with forced methods? That is a totally different discussion. My personal opinion is that if different groups have significant income gap between them, it's generally bad for social stability. That's the core concept of DEI hire imo.

(And yes, I definitely agree that creating more equal wealth distribution through better education system is better than forced DEI hires. Just that this method is much slower on solving income gap problem in general)
 Fenrir.Niflheim
VIP
By Fenrir.Niflheim 2024-07-22 12:25:43
Link | Quote | Reply

DEI is a top down solution which relies on the work force existing to support the initiative.

improved education and shifts in the youth cultures on what people value in a demographic actual generates that work force, making it bottom up and as such seems more viable to me.

As a young girl I caught a lot of flack from other girls my age for my interest in hobbies like video games and magic the gathering. Stop that and maybe more girls maintain an interest in STEM, which I suspect it has improved since I was a kid.
[+]
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2024-07-22 13:07:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahflaming said: »
results stating despite white students only being 60% of the people applying for the scholarships, they still secured 67% of them in total

This is meaningless unless you contextualize it with the data used to decide who earned the scholarships. They won't do that, because it will show that the 67% of white students is actually underrepresentation relative to performance (and asians have it far worse than whites in this regard).

67/60 is an 11.6% overrepresentation. Every objective measure of academic performance puts white students far more than 11.6% ahead of black and hispanic students. You can certainly argue about why that is and how to fix it, but in the absence of direct data for your loosely cited results, it seems silly to assume it is due to bias rather than merit.
 Fenrir.Niflheim
VIP
By Fenrir.Niflheim 2024-07-22 13:55:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Found a handful of articles where Microsoft points the finger at the EU as a cause to the whole CrowdStrike event.
https://www.tomshardware.com/software/windows/microsofts-eu-agreement-means-it-will-be-hard-to-avoid-crowdstrike-like-calamities-in-the-future
https://www.theregister.com/2024/07/22/windows_crowdstrike_kernel_eu/
https://www.euronews.com/business/2024/07/22/microsoft-says-eu-to-blame-for-the-worlds-worst-it-outage

Microsoft claims without EU regulations they would not have opened kernel access to third-party security providers, that access being what allowed CrowdStrike to BSOD so many windows systems.

Part of me thinks it is just about clawing back some of that control and turning public opinion against the legislation Microsoft claims lead to this. I remember sometime Friday someone here claimed "Microsoft is a monopoly" and this argument that Microsoft is making is actually the fact that because they have to give access to third-parties it causes the problems.

Having fixed 22 computers stuck in the BSOD loop in my factory on Friday, I do find myself leaning in Microsoft's favor on the topic. Even though I know they could make a similar such mistake on their own.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-07-22 13:58:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Nothing should have Kernel access outside of the OS. Thats why I stopped playing Destiny 2.
[+]
 Fenrir.Niflheim
VIP
By Fenrir.Niflheim 2024-07-22 14:26:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I think it is easy to say a GAME should not need kernel stuff, but security software could benefit from it. And if Microsoft can then keep those benefits internal that leaves competitors unable to deliver an equivalent product on Windows.

But who knows better what is safe or not safe to do with the kernel than group who develops/maintains it?

And They know they take a reputation hit if they *** it up, but same is true of their competitors. CrowdStrike's stock is down 30%, I think this is called free fall...
By Pantafernando 2024-07-22 16:14:23
Link | Quote | Reply

So, in the end, its finished my failed attempt to enroll in a MBA in Data Science.

After two public complain against the institute, they agreed to cancel my enrollment and part ways.

They still got 100 coins from me as an upfront fee. But 100 coins wasnt worth not even one extra day having to deal with such low quality customer service.

Sucks because I really wanted to study that course. The subjects seemed really interesting.

At least I can still learn them on my own, at my own pace, and without paying them for it
[+]
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
Server: Asura
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2024-07-22 17:44:09
Link | Quote | Reply

The credit card readers at the hotel still aren't functional... having to manually authorize everything.

Blegh
 Bismarck.Josiahflaming
By Bismarck.Josiahflaming 2024-07-22 17:45:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »
So, in the end, its finished my failed attempt to enroll in a MBA in Data Science.

After two public complain against the institute, they agreed to cancel my enrollment and part ways.

They still got 100 coins from me as an upfront fee. But 100 coins wasnt worth not even one extra day having to deal with such low quality customer service.

Sucks because I really wanted to study that course. The subjects seemed really interesting.

At least I can still learn them on my own, at my own pace, and without paying them for it
what was their problem, was your GPA too low or something?
 Bismarck.Josiahflaming
By Bismarck.Josiahflaming 2024-07-22 17:47:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Vyre said: »
The credit card readers at the hotel still aren't functional... having to manually authorize everything.

Blegh
calling the credit card companies to verbally authorize? or this machine

[+]
 Asura.Iamaman
user: iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2024-07-22 17:56:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I mentioned this before, but people are really nonchalant about installing kernel drivers and modules, they just assume whoever wrote them took the task seriously and a lot of times they don't. That's if decisionmakers even understand what kernel means, most of them got sold something and aren't aware of the technical implications, only that it is security software that meets the requirements for their compliance regs and it has a pretty dashboard they can report on. Even if they know, they'd rather have an outage they can point to someone else and face the blame than a "preventable" security breach that makes them look insufficient, but you can also blame the security industry for pumping out compliance standards that require software of this nature. This is a deeper problem that has people spending money on stuff that doesn't work and shedding what does, along with the issues I mentioned before with code quality. The problem is that a lot of security software, including CrowdStrike, requires some code in the kernel to hook the things they monitor, there is just no other way to do it.

You only really heard about this issue because of CrowdStrike's massive global reach, but a lot of vendors (in and out of the security industry) are doing similar things and buggy drivers have caused problems for hardware vendors in the past. Companies often aren't willing to architect solutions that minimize code in the kernel because it's more expensive, often much slower, and takes a lot more time, so they just shove ***into kernel space they shouldn't. Even the mainline Linux kernel is victim of this, but attempts to fix it have been rebuffed, are not arch independent, not performative, or experimental.

As for Microsoft, they'll never "block access to the kernel" because nothing would function given the diverse hardware Windows runs on. They could implement an approval process and require signed drivers by approved vendors, but this wouldn't have accomplished anything here, because CrowdStrike is one of the largest security vendors and they would've been granted access without question. They couldn't feasibly review every driver and associated update, so this is just pandering, even if they "blocked" access to most vendors (blocking entirely just won't happen) there is a 0% chance CrowdStrike wouldn't have been on the approved list. This would also severely isolate the ability for hardware development and other features that require execution in the kernel.

FWIW most tech journalists have no idea what "kernel" means, so take anything you read from them with a grain of salt.
[+]
By Draylo 2024-07-22 19:40:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Deadpool coming out right when I leave for a trip. Do I watch it in a foreign language or wait and get spoilers for sure.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-07-22 19:43:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Depending where you go they may have english showings

Especially if it's a tourist hotspot.
By Draylo 2024-07-22 20:00:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Madrid, I can understand Spanish but I prefer to see in English. But don't think they offer the original showing there...
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-07-22 20:04:16
Link | Quote | Reply

A dozen at english theaters at least, it's spain lol

Requires some research but shouldn't be hard at all
[+]
By Draylo 2024-07-23 01:21:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Is Joe gone? We need to know where he's at
[+]
By Pantafernando 2024-07-23 01:42:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Good morning you who are unemployed. Also you who are employed while being a "majority". And also you who are employed being a "minority".

In the eyes of God, we are all the same.

The same ***
By RadialArcana 2024-07-23 04:28:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I find it funny a company that exists and is paid as cybersecurity specialists and to safeguard companies computer equipment, just did far more damage worldwide than any cyber attack in history.

That's like a hospital killing millions of people. They have done more damage by simply existing than the entire previous history of their operations.

The sad part is they are sill in business, brand loyalty and laziness is a hell of a drug.
First Page 2 3 ... 22657 22658 22659 ... 22705 22706 22707