Random Thoughts.....What Are You Thinking?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Undead » Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
First Page 2 3 ... 21946 21947 21948 ... 21954 21955 21956
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
Offline
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Jessie
Posts: 836
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-09-13 17:04:59
Link | Quote | Reply
 
I did a really stupid thing today... I got into an argument with someone on Facebook. Thankfully it didn't take me very long to recognize it wasn't going anywhere so I just blocked notifications.

I won't get into specifics, but the other person started pulling the equivalent of "Well my dad works at Nintendo, so nyeh!" >_>;
Offline
Posts: 26
By Deathsightt 2021-09-13 17:08:39
Link | Quote | Reply
 
My random thought.. I want to make Murgleis, but honestly does it have any real use outside of MACC and Wave 3? I wish it would hold a candle to other DD options RDM has, but it looks like it fails there. What are yalls thoughts?
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
Offline
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Ghishlain
Posts: 856
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2021-09-13 17:45:02
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »
I did a really stupid thing today... I got into an argument with someone on Facebook. Thankfully it didn't take me very long to recognize it wasn't going anywhere so I just blocked notifications.

I won't get into specifics, but the other person started pulling the equivalent of "Well my dad works at Nintendo, so nyeh!" >_>;

Good call. It's rare that an internet argument actually nets anything meaningful if one party just covers their ears and goes "blah blah blah"
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Offline
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
Posts: 16887
By Valefor.Prothescar 2021-09-13 18:27:28
Link | Quote | Reply
 
So there's an ff9 remake listed in that new nvidia/steam leak
[+]
Online
Posts: 12515
By Draylo 2021-09-13 18:33:13
Link | Quote | Reply
 
A remake for 9? I would think they would do 8 first but I would love playing 9 again
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Offline
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
Posts: 16887
By Valefor.Prothescar 2021-09-13 18:35:59
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Chrono Cross remaster too
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
Offline
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Ghishlain
Posts: 856
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2021-09-13 18:53:06
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Valefor.Prothescar said: »
Chrono Cross remaster too

I will believe it when I see it at this point xD It would be nice to see though.
[+]
Offline
Posts: 9157
By Pantafernando 2021-09-13 19:15:26
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Deathsightt said: »
My random thought.. I want to make Murgleis, but honestly does it have any real use outside of MACC and Wave 3? I wish it would hold a candle to other DD options RDM has, but it looks like it fails there. What are yalls thoughts?

Well depends on your personal strategy. Being pragmatic, being more sentimental, its all valid. No right or wrong.

Personally im more in the pragmatic side. I have my own list of priorities considering first the job then the enhancement an item can provide. After that, even making a weapon for lockstyle purposes seems valid to me
Offline
Posts: 3268
By Freehugs 2021-09-13 19:17:02
Link | Quote | Reply
 
My grandma fell on her back porch today at 2pm and was out there til 8pm. Not sure if she broke anything but she's talking. The EMTs are with her now. Totally sucks. I really hope she will be fine.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
Online
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-09-13 20:21:47
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Oh billy that leaked list of new games.

Chrono Cross Remaster
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
Offline
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Jessie
Posts: 836
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-09-13 20:28:25
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Freehugs said: »
My grandma fell on her back porch today at 2pm and was out there til 8pm. Not sure if she broke anything but she's talking. The EMTs are with her now. Totally sucks. I really hope she will be fine.
Sending well-wishes her way.

Not looking forward to getting into that age range. I'm already to the point where every time I fall or bonk something it hurts for months. A couple of years ago I went to my parents house to shovel and fell on my tailbone three times. The whole "walk like a penguin" thing doesn't work when you have to go into a karate stance to move saturated snow...

On the topic of health and safety, I installed three smoke alarms and two fire extinguishers in our house over the weekend. Something happened to a close friend recently and it really woke me up.
[+]
Offline
Posts: 9157
By Pantafernando 2021-09-13 20:35:25
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Last year i bought a fire extinguisher too, because its really the most basic item for safety.

Also, its on my list some real training on first aid. It should be something basic for everyone imo.
Offline
Posts: 1290
By Josiahafk 2021-09-14 01:07:29
Link | Quote | Reply
 
[+]
Online
Posts: 99
By alzeerffxi 2021-09-14 04:43:07
Link | Quote | Reply
 
what's the commands to show up DW in gearinfo?
Offline
Posts: 3268
By Freehugs 2021-09-14 06:40:25
Link | Quote | Reply
 
My grandma broke her hip. Not totally great but it could have been worse. Surgery today and then rehab. Thanks everyone for the well wishes and good vibes. :)
Offline
Posts: 3268
By Freehugs 2021-09-14 06:44:49
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Birb to lighten the mood
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
Offline
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Jessie
Posts: 836
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-09-14 07:48:45
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Yo, that's one sick bird!
Offline
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: misacat
Posts: 3108
By Nadleeh Sakurai 2021-09-14 10:01:01
Link | Quote | Reply
 
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Offline
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
Posts: 16887
By Valefor.Prothescar 2021-09-14 10:48:30
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Alright gamers. I ordered 8 different flavors of Gfuel. I'm ready to die
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
Offline
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Jessie
Posts: 836
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-09-14 11:31:29
Link | Quote | Reply
 
You know how most people don't want to eat the same restaurant they work at because they see behind the scenes and realize how gross it can be? The construction industry is so much the same. It's wild.

This roof I was designing had a nice open space in the attic for storage. But when you have a floor system within the roof truss, you have to run it as commercial (makes the rules a bit more strict). I noticed, though, that the trusses were running better than expected, so I looked at the loading. The loading looked fine. Then I printed it out to look at the finer details and read some of the numbers and found out it was using numbers associated with residential loading.

So I sent an email to the idiots who provide our software and they came back with "It's a known issue"
If it's a known issue, why aren't you telling anyone?! How many people didn't notice this was a problem and sent out roofs designed to support barely half the load they need to?!
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
Offline
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Ghishlain
Posts: 856
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2021-09-14 14:42:39
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »
You know how most people don't want to eat the same restaurant they work at because they see behind the scenes and realize how gross it can be? The construction industry is so much the same. It's wild.

This roof I was designing had a nice open space in the attic for storage. But when you have a floor system within the roof truss, you have to run it as commercial (makes the rules a bit more strict). I noticed, though, that the trusses were running better than expected, so I looked at the loading. The loading looked fine. Then I printed it out to look at the finer details and read some of the numbers and found out it was using numbers associated with residential loading.

So I sent an email to the idiots who provide our software and they came back with "It's a known issue"
If it's a known issue, why aren't you telling anyone?! How many people didn't notice this was a problem and sent out roofs designed to support barely half the load they need to?!

This hurts me on so many levels >.>; That's just wild..
 Asura.Eiryl
Online
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-09-14 14:46:50
Link | Quote | Reply
 
You can literally expect that on/in absolutely everything.

If the cost of fixing is higher than the expected payout / penalty. It isn't done. No matter the location. No matter the industry. They'll get a 1% "cost of business" fine when a dozen people die and they get sued. And everything goes on as though nothing happened. Song as old as time.
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
Offline
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Jessie
Posts: 836
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-09-14 15:30:56
Link | Quote | Reply
 
On the other hand, though, I do take quite a bit of solace knowing from school the mind-boggling number of safety factors that go into wood-framed structures.

We basically assume wood is about 10% as strong as it actually is, which covers some 99.97% of the margin of error, and then assume it's supporting 10x as much weight as it actually is, which covers another 99.97% of the margin for error on the other spectrum. The overlap of the wood being weaker than factored against its factored load is impossibly small. (You'd basically have to have a party of people shoulder-to-shoulder jumping up and down simultaneously over a piece of lumber where all of the underlying material is knotty before anything broke.)

So even if someone has sent out a roof at 0.55 GSL instead of 0.80 GSL, I'm not convinced anyone is in any real danger.
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
Offline
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Ghishlain
Posts: 856
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2021-09-14 16:03:33
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Well, that's nice peace of mind there at least.

Do steel and concrete frames get the same level of scrutiny? I imagine that's more of a commercial / industrial application question versus residential application.
[+]
Offline
Posts: 9157
By Pantafernando 2021-09-14 16:31:33
Link | Quote | Reply
 
If anything, civil engineering already works with overestimated safety factors, because there isnt that much difference in terms of costs projecting a structure to last 10 or 50 years.

That said, i think the greatest danger in constructions is material. If you use poor quality materials to build your pillars, then youre in very deep ***.

Ragnarok.Ghishlain said: »
Well, that's nice peace of mind there at least.

Do steel and concrete frames get the same level of scrutiny? I imagine that's more of a commercial / industrial application question versus residential application.

Good thing about concrete is that it bends a lot before breaking. Its not a sudden failure.

If you see a hole growing in the floor/ceiling, you know you need to leave asap that place.
[+]
Offline
Posts: 3268
By Freehugs 2021-09-14 17:01:23
Link | Quote | Reply
 
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
Offline
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Jessie
Posts: 836
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-09-14 17:13:49
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Ragnarok.Ghishlain said: »
Well, that's nice peace of mind there at least.

Do steel and concrete frames get the same level of scrutiny? I imagine that's more of a commercial / industrial application question versus residential application.
Steel is by far the most consistent material. I'd check my Steel Design Manual, but I'm pretty sure the factor for steel is as high as 0.90. Concrete is somewhere around the 0.80 range if it's cast in a controlled environment (pre-cast) and only about 0.65 or so if it's cast-in-place.

Wood starts out at 0.90 or something as well, but has about a dozen other factors which reduce it to about 0.20 for most applications, such as the duration of the load, how moist its environment is, etc.

And then when you're loading the material, you assume every couple of square feet has a 200lb person standing on it, and before any loads are calculated you factor the dead load (self-weight of permanently fixed materials) by 1.25 and the live load (everything else) by 1.50.

Panta is also correct about concrete showing signs of failure looong before it fails structurally. But all building materials are treated like that. If you ever notice a big crack in your residential drywall or the concrete face of a building, an inspector should be notified. That's why I was so surprised when that apartment in Florida collapsed a little while ago, knowing that there should have been signs of failure. In fact, that was the case -- apparently people had been complaining for years about pipes bursting and giant cracks forming. Just nobody did anything about it... :/
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Online
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
Posts: 3014
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-09-14 17:22:15
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »
That's why I was so surprised when that apartment in Florida collapsed a little while ago, knowing that there should have been signs of failure. In fact, that was the case -- apparently people had been complaining for years about pipes bursting and giant cracks forming. Just nobody did anything about it... :/

Sadly true. As early as 2018 an independent consultant advised the owners of critical repairs.
Online
Posts: 99
By alzeerffxi 2021-09-15 01:24:28
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Valefor.Prothescar said: »
So there's an ff9 remake listed in that new nvidia/steam leak
BRO chrono cross and FF tactics too
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
Offline
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Jessie
Posts: 836
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-09-15 07:47:56
Link | Quote | Reply
 
My hype is only at 10% for those right now.

1. While credible, a leak is still just a leak. We don't know if it's totally true, or how far along they are if it is. They could get cancelled or scrapped dozens of times and take years before release.

2. Getting too hype now will swell our expectations too high and we'll be disappointed whenever it does happen.

3. There's way too high of a likelihood that they're going to mess these up somehow.
First Page 2 3 ... 21946 21947 21948 ... 21954 21955 21956
Log in to post.