2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » [Lowman] Glavoid and THF tanking
[Lowman] Glavoid and THF tanking
First Page 2
By Tikal 2011-01-21 14:54:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Alright, so as with many people going for Emperyean, I've a long trek ahead of me. I've spent the past month getting a lot of the gear I needed, and I'm about 1 stone of vision away from having the below set finished:

I plan on fighting Glavoid with a minimum of two, with the other person being either a RDM or WHM, depending on availability. I'm a Mithra Thief with around 2500 HP after Cruor buff (I have all Abyssites of Merit and Furtherance). This set puts me just below haste cap, while also shoe-horning in around 27 Subtle blow. For Atmas, I'll probably use RR/GH, and SS or Atma of the Earth Wyrm (Superior Earth Resist, Dmg -10%) in order to mitigate Disgorge's damage. I plan on swapping in around 9-17% m.dmg (Dark Ring -4%x2, Coral earring -2%x2, Twilight Torque -5%) gear before Disgorge, which would knock off anywhere between 300-900 dmg, considering a -% Atma. (Yes, it is an AGI Kila)

Any pointers, suggestions or scathing criticisms my fellow THFs can offer?
 Bismarck.Ihina
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2011-01-21 15:05:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Or just go all-out DD gear, /drk to stun Disgorge, tank it with your face and make your whm actually do something. RR/GH and either SS, Apoc, DD or SQ for atma.

And nothing you can do can avert a 9k disgorge, so don't even bother.

Really now, people and their silly evasion/subtle blow gear. That stuff's for solo'ing onry.
 Diabolos.Artfuldodger
Server: Diabolos
user: cuccon
By Diabolos.Artfuldodger 2011-01-21 15:11:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Twilight Knife might also mitigate the risk of Glavoid using TP moves more than the 10 subtle blow on Auric

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Tikal 2011-01-21 15:15:30
Link | Quote | Reply

@Twilight: I've considered that, but I've heard debate on whether it actually steals TP or not. If someone has some clarifying evidence, I'd be all over Twilight. I'd just rather not do it on a hunch.

Cake Cutter?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-01-21 15:31:28
Link | Quote | Reply

He was reasonably blind vs my NIN in DD gear with uncapped eva and no eva weapon when we were doing him for a friend's Ukon, he should be completely blind against you on THF even in full DD gear. Some Subtle Blow certainly won't hurt since more TP moves means less time spent DDing (and more opportunities to heal him), but the biggest piece of advice I can give you is to bring a third person whose sole duty is to stun Disgorge. Do that and the fight is tedious, but in no way dangerous. Don't bother stunning other stuff, he can build resistance and nothing else is remotely lethal anyway.
 Bismarck.Helel
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2011-01-21 15:35:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I was getting boss clears for my RDM mule yesterday and did glavoid blu/war+rdm/whm. Head Butt stuck 100% on his spells. I'm not sure what causes disgorge to do 9k damage, but it did exactly 750 to me every time. I got hit by it about 3 times I believe, all at different %. I actually preferred to get hit by it as I didn't have to remove any enfeebles or anything. His regular attacks did less than 30 with -50% pdt, defender, and cocoon. I know you're asking about THF tanking, but since you just need the shells I thought I'd let you know this was an option as well. One thing I will add is that Blood Weapon did not cause hate reset until he was below 25%. That would be your only concern probably, but with collaborator should be no problem.
By Tikal 2011-01-21 15:42:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Disgorge deals 3k, spread between the people hit, and mitigated by -% m.dmg gear. I'm not sure where the 9000 number came up.

Also as a note, apparently Glavoid shells are only affected by TH, not procs or anything else, which is why I'm opting to tank on Thief and not have someone else tank it. The fewer Glavoids I have to farm for, and murder, the better.

Definitely noted Nightfyre. If I can get a stunner, you bet I will.

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Tikal
Server: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2011-01-21 15:47:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Read it on here somewhere, actually. Can't recall the thread. And I'm actually going for Ukonvasara.

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-01-21 15:54:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Tikal said:
Disgorge deals 3k, spread between the people hit, and mitigated by -% m.dmg gear. I'm not sure where the 9000 number came up.
A Disgorge that is not preceded by Gorge will deal 3k. Otherwise, it's dependent on the amount drained by Gorge.

Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
Staggering yellow will increase the drop rate of all synthesis/magian/emp items. I don't know who told you Glavoid was special
Grellow doesn't affect any of the items for empyrean weapons. +1 seals, +2 items, and crafting mats yes, but I'm 100% sure it doesn't affect weapon drops. That said, Glavoid is rather generous with his shells with TH up.
 Cerberus.Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2011-01-21 15:56:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Gorge damage + Disgorge's natural 3k? So if it drained 300 HP, Disgorge would deal 3300? Or is it completely based on the Gorge damage? The times I've tanked Glavoid, around 4 now, I've never been hit by the combo.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-01-21 15:58:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tikal said:
Gorge damage + Disgorge's natural 3k? So if it drained 300 HP, Disgorge would deal 3300? Or is it completely based on the Gorge damage? The times I've tanked Glavoid, around 4 now, I've never been hit by the combo.
Honestly don't know, I've been hit by it maybe twice ever and didn't save logs or anything.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2011-01-21 16:23:04
Link | Quote | Reply

The number comes from trio box'ing(thf+whm+blm/brd for yellow) 75%-ish of the shells for my own Twashtar. Disgorge can do 3k, 6k or 9k spread amount the number of targets it has in front of it.

Cerberus.Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2011-01-21 16:25:28
Link | Quote | Reply

That's ridiculously broken if it didn't Gorge that much damage to begin with.

What was your Thief build like?
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2011-01-21 16:27:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Should go poke Cuijatender before calling this guy broken. At least disgorge is easily stunnable.

Edit: and my tp set is in a screenshot found on my main page. Not sure how that's relevant though.

Edit2: And I don't know. Not that I paid attention much, but I've never personally noticed any relation between Gorge and Disgorge. Then again, I was alt+tabb'ing way too much to be looking at the numbers. If I ever do get hit by Disgorge, you can imagine I'd have way too much fun bouncing Glavoid back and forth between my BLM and WHM to be checking the chatlog.
 Cerberus.Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2011-01-21 16:35:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Surviving Disgorge isn't hard. If it gets a damage bonus from Gorge somehow, and deals 6-9k on rare occasion, then yeah that's pretty much an OHKO, but otherwise Disgorge is manageable.
 Phoenix.Hagino
Server: Phoenix
user: hagino
By Phoenix.Hagino 2011-01-21 17:56:05
Link | Quote | Reply

can be dual tanked with dnc and thf, whm and 1 stunner.

Just dd gear, stay hasted and thats about it. DNC and THF on opposite ends of mob and just have fun~

Make sure your stunner doesnt suck. I ate a couple of 9k disgorges when my stunner wasnt paying attention. After that i started to dualbox thf + rdm/blm
 Bismarck.Gloryseeker
By Bismarck.Gloryseeker 2011-01-21 18:13:22
Link | Quote | Reply

did glavoid 3 times today with 2 whms a war and me thf, i loled the whole fight was stupid easy. got like 5 shells total. 2 1 2 if you wanted to know. and yeah DD gears + haste = win. was killed in like 7 min each tmie.
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
Server: Unicorn
user: Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2011-01-21 18:51:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Been duoing it thf/nin whm/nin lately, not too bad though I occasionally get erased by 4500 dmg disgorges. Might try someone's advice up there and do thf/drk with whm instead, might be a little more reliable.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [47 days between previous and next post]
 Titan.Eiryn
Server: Titan
user: Eiryn
By Titan.Eiryn 2011-03-09 17:14:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Disgorge is a frontal needles type move, just have your healer(s) stand in front with you and you won't get one shotted.

GH/RR/Siren shadow is a nice combo for eva/DD and should cap your evasion against this mob without evasion specific gear.
 Ragnarok.Nekonarf
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Nekonarf 2011-03-11 04:09:13
Link | Quote | Reply

After 5 days of Grindoid this is what I've got to say;

*** CLEAVING, that ***is slower then actually building the pops up manually in my experience, averaging 4 pops / 2 hours, would make 8 pops a day.

If you have a mule, get them on a 75(/drk) or 90(/blm) job have them stand up front with you and either stun bot for you or eat disgorge damage / ga damage if your WHM fails at stunning Ga spells.

This NM is not nice even with TH6(base) and additional level increases, -_- I got to enjoy fighting 31 Glavoids(quad boxed majority of them while the person we did it would dual box)
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
Server: Leviathan
user: Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2011-03-11 04:15:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nekonarf said:
After 5 days of Grindoid this is what I've got to say;

*** CLEAVING, that ***is slower then actually building the pops up manually in my experience, averaging 4 pops / 2 hours, would make 8 pops a day.

If you have a mule, get them on a 75(/drk) or 90(/blm) job have them stand up front with you and either stun bot for you or eat disgorge damage / ga damage if your WHM fails at stunning Ga spells.

This NM is not nice even with TH6(base) and additional level increases, -_- I got to enjoy fighting 31 Glavoids(quad boxed majority of them while the person we did it would dual box)

31 pops isnt too bad for 50 items..even at best its 25 times and I've had to do worse ><

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-03-11 06:40:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
Ragnarok.Nekonarf said:
If you have a mule, get them on a 75(/drk)
this made me smile lol I'd rather lvl a job to 90 than sub drk on a mule, definitely not worth the work at all

But for stunning the spells Im surprised you prioritized them. None of them are remotely dangerous > <

I think you underestimate the value of a second character.

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-03-11 07:20:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
Ragnarok.Nekonarf said:
If you have a mule, get them on a 75(/drk)
this made me smile lol I'd rather lvl a job to 90 than sub drk on a mule, definitely not worth the work at all

But for stunning the spells Im surprised you prioritized them. None of them are remotely dangerous > <

I think you underestimate the value of a second character.
no I estimate /drk is a waste of time when lvling blm to 45 is so easy. I dual box and have a blm90 mule I do see where your coming from

Ah, thought you ment you'd rather level a new job to 90 on your char than get a mule to 75 and sub drk on it >_>
Just woke up etc
 Cerberus.Tyraant
user: Speak
By Cerberus.Tyraant 2011-03-11 07:27:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Tikal said:

Also as a note, apparently Glavoid shells are only affected by TH, not procs or anything else

Definitely the case. I've helped farm up quite a few emps, and all the 80 trial items have only been affected by TH. the 85 and 90 items are affected by grellow.

IMO Cleaving really only is efficient if you are doing multiple weapons at the same time. Cleaving was the best choice for me since my group was farming for a GA, Dagger and H2H at the same time.
 Leviathan.Bladefury
Server: Leviathan
user: Bladefury
By Leviathan.Bladefury 2011-03-11 07:36:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Just to provide my experience since I did my shells low man myself:
- Cleaving/Edge Burning works wonderfully if you have a friend that needs Chloris pops and others that are able to come with your to pick up KI's. Overall, farming by this method however left me quite sad in the fact that I only completed a full pop set for Glavoid about 4 times out of +/- 30 hours of Edge burning Coeurls... The only bonus is that you are not timing out, and building time instead. Maybe bad luck, but it wasn't worth the time since there isn't really anything to gain (similar to Dark Rings etc...)

- In my 50 shells, only 1 Glavoid dropped a single shell. All others were 2, without any staggers at all. TH6 only, and most without proc ups from what I remember. Glavoid is giving on the shells, which is a bonus.

- Martello + Brew + others holding pop sets = 5 Glavoids in 30 minutes with counting pulls and all. Before the statements of "Brewing Glavoid is a waste" etc... for me it was worth every cruor being able to knock this thing out without worry. Gales/Ultimate/Beyond would kill it down in 3 Edges in my case.

- When I did kill normally, I tried the /DRK option but as I was 2 boxxing, I would be paying attn to my healer when I needed to stun, and it was a waste of me having the stun.. lol. This Mob has TERRIBLE accuracy, so /DRK is definitely viable if you have a WHM as your healer. A RDM I would not recommend as a sole healer.
First Page 2