Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Red Mage » melee gear
melee gear
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Bismarck.Luces
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Luces 2011-02-16 11:25:58
Link | Quote | Reply

My current melee set wont let me put chimaric of hand but its +4% double atk works off hand, so does sword enhancement damage. I use str sword right now but I just finished my 80 Almace last night and 9/50 skins for 85 Almace.

Current CDC set(for when I get access):
except for hachimaki, but that's easy enough to get.

planned tp set- This is what I'm aiming for the I took the 4stp you loose from moving up to Zelus to hoard ring because it takes 1 hit off my tp needed to 100%.
Pants will be haste +3 double atk +2

I'll do a planned cdc set later.
 Quetzalcoatl.Neisan
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Nanashi14
By Quetzalcoatl.Neisan 2011-02-17 06:25:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Is this for inside or outside Abyssea? Because if inside Spiral isn't helping much, CDC is a pure DEX mod. Also unless your accuracy is quite poor or you're not eating pizza You're probably using too much accuracy, also would trade out the Bow for ammo and get Thunder sachet, lose 1 dex but pickup some attack in ammo slot during TP phase depending on (limited) choices.
 Bismarck.Luces
By Bismarck.Luces 2011-02-17 13:21:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Yar, inside I'll be using Jupiter with +2 atk augment, instead of spiral outside I will have to test it, for neck ws I was also thinking about either Kubira Beads(DEF:5 STR+4 DEX+4 Damage taken +5%), or Knack pendant (dex +4 atk+2) I'm thinking knack pendant in abyssea and kubira beads outside just as a safety precaution so that +5% doesn't hurt me in case something crazy happens. I will hopefully get omnipotent byt he time I get almace 85 which will for allow me to have some atma+armor testing to see what works out better. Also I was thinking since I'm using aesir ear, and hachi already, would the light belt be a good addition? I know since I'll already have a high ftp the elemental belts/gorgets usually aren't the best, What i'm wondering is of the stacking of conserve tp here(with belt +15 without +8) would yield me a higher reward then chuchu waist or the atk/acc+15 double atk +1%(I think rdm can wear it not 100% sure can't remember name)? If one of those does pool ahead by a good enough amount, then what or your thoughts of replacing the hachi with Ferox vizor(Dex +4 double atk +2)?
 Asura.Andradi
Server: Asura
user: Andradi
By Asura.Andradi 2011-02-17 20:02:10
Link | Quote | Reply

For neck WS, gorget is basically your best bet. Nothing else we get in the slot surpasses it.

For waist, the elemental belts are a poor choice and are eclipsed by even warwolf belt. Assuming ACC is not needed (actually not the safest assumption on RDM (even with merits, especially if you can't keep composure up (unless you're eating acc food)), if the default mob in FFXICalc is any indicaton), Cuch > Anguinus > Warwolf > Ele. Anguinus is best if you need ACC.

AF+1 hands are probably better than Morrigan's, it's easy as pie to solo the mats at 90.

For neck TP going after Fort Torque is a good idea. I would use turban over brisk mask until you get the tiara, too.

What is your AMK reward tied up as? Given the painfully limited options RDM has in terms of DD gear it's a much bigger improvement than for other jobs (I'd recommend a WS Damage/Crit Damage combo).

Bismarck.Luces
By Bismarck.Luces 2011-02-18 05:17:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Aye fort is on my list but towards the bottom as other torques are more important, my AMKDE reward is currently needed to be redone but I planned to make it a cure potency piece since rdm is so lacking in that area. The brisk puts me at +16stp which is exactly whats needed to knock me down a hit needed to reach 100%tp, using these 2 swords. With chimaric Fleuret and str trial sword it pulls ahead of waly but with the odd after math on the Almace that may cause wally to pull ahead. I totally forgot about af +1 hands yes those would be a good idea and I know I have 1 if not both matts for it in my storage.
 Cerberus.Kayatani
Server: Cerberus
user: Kayatani
By Cerberus.Kayatani 2011-03-08 04:18:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Wouldn't it be better to use an OAT weapon off hand?

And I take it the latent and enspell damage bonus only apply to hits from the Chimeric Fleuret?
 Asura.Andradi
Server: Asura
user: Andradi
By Asura.Andradi 2011-03-08 05:29:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Sword off-hand is very much up in the air these days. The days of OA-something being king are marginal with the huge damage, delay and other extra stats difference. (Also triple attack atma.)

Nightfyre (dude knows his ***) always recommends a STR Shamshir for BLU offhand unless attack is capped (which is ever rarer in RDM's case); 20 attack is a huge chunk in one slot. I don't think it would be different for RDM. DEX shamshir is also a strong option if accuracy is lacking.

As for the fleuret, unless it works differently to others the enspell damage should be on it only and the double attack should be on both weapons. I haven't seen any testing. It's an OK offhand either way, especially if you don't care for more magian trials.
By richwood 2011-03-08 05:29:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I would probably do something like this: With the Aug on legs being 3% Haste and + critical Damage maybe.

This gives you capped haste and no real loss in stats.
By richwood 2011-03-08 05:33:09
Link | Quote | Reply

richwood said:
I would probably do something like this: With the Aug on legs being 3% Haste and + critical Damage maybe.

This gives you capped haste and no real loss in stats.

Also Goading belt is nice if you toss out a little bit of gil for the Dusk Ledelsens +1
 Bismarck.Luces
By Bismarck.Luces 2011-03-10 19:46:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kayatani said:
Wouldn't it be better to use an OAT weapon off hand?

And I take it the latent and enspell damage bonus only apply to hits from the Chimeric Fleuret?
The latent is double atk +4% it applies to all hits, I thought I said it but the enspell damage is on every hit (/w merits and gear I'm at 342ish and this makes my email ones do 32 damage w/ corresponding day and weather bonus), oax reduce the chances of after math proc do when using an almace this lowers your dps. I have a str sword ready and waiting as well for off hand use if does make enough difference. Dusk feet +1 are over 4mil on my sever and antaries was almost 2 last I checked right now antaries is the biggest boost, wondering if out of abyssea moriganns would stronger?
Hmmm I needed to recheck leg augments now thanks for the info., also my acp body is now freed up think that would be any good with the right augments?

Thanks with the belt info,can rdm wear the atk/acc+15 da+1% belt? If so would the elemental belt provide more accuracy/damage? What about missive boots( lvl 78 acc+10 atk+12 I think) over lithe since this is rdm?
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-10 19:55:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Andradi said:
Sword off-hand is very much up in the air these days. The days of OA-something being king are marginal with the huge damage, delay and other extra stats difference. (Also triple attack atma.)

Nightfyre (dude knows his ***) always recommends a STR Shamshir for BLU offhand unless attack is capped (which is ever rarer in RDM's case); 20 attack is a huge chunk in one slot. I don't think it would be different for RDM. DEX shamshir is also a strong option if accuracy is lacking.

As for the fleuret, unless it works differently to others the enspell damage should be on it only and the double attack should be on both weapons. I haven't seen any testing. It's an OK offhand either way, especially if you don't care for more magian trials.
The delay is far from huge. The dmg loss wasn't that much to begin with and enspells completely overide that (not to mention better chance of keeping ODD up). Especially since most rdms will have decently lower haste than most blus (not to mention double/triple attack can't set store tp etc) making it harder to keep ODD up skewing things in favor of tp gain

It is alot different for rdm. Enspell dmg with multi hit weapons is huge. Not to mention decently lower double/triple attack on rdm to begin with. So OAT2-4 +double trial weapons will be much much better on rdm than blu
 Quetzalcoatl.Neisan
By Quetzalcoatl.Neisan 2011-03-10 20:01:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Enspell damage for Rdm was like 10-15% overall damage for rdm at best iirc?, not so much inside. Just about comes up to 8% overrall damage from when I was parsing with at least RR/AoA on (was testing 3rd atma but settled on GH since no A/O).
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-10 20:05:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Neisan said:
Enspell damage for Rdm was like 10-15% overall damage for rdm at best iirc?, not so much inside. Just about comes up to 8% overrall damage from when I was parsing with at least RR/AoA on (was testing 3rd atma but settled on GH since no A/O).
Should probably do GH anyways. Lower tp feed much more consistency of crits.

How much your enspells doing per hit?
 Quetzalcoatl.Neisan
By Quetzalcoatl.Neisan 2011-03-10 20:09:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Was pre cape/feet admittedly, think I only had around 380 skill or so. Parser says 21/hit average on last parse I have but not too sure what skill level was at the time. Mob was lizards.

EDIT: that was with enhancing set at time most likely, possibly lower since got several skillups after update as if the update did anything (Was more that I was actually on rdm to get skillups...)
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-10 20:24:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Was pre cape/feet admittedly, think I only had around 380 skill or so. Parser says 21/hit average on last parse I have but not too sure what skill level was at the time. Mob was lizards.
Holy ***that's alot of enhancing skill...

Anyways unless you had resist or offday 21/hit means you had no + gear and 320-339 skill. Wiki says caps at 21/hit... but guessing that's old info since I just got 22 with no +gear or weather with 340 skill.

Excluding lightday or augments should be able to hit 421 so 26/hit. Most the gear to enhance it is in slots where there are much better tp stuff (like earrings weapons) but can use Fencer's Ring easy for another 5 more dmg to 31 another 3 for day bonus 75% of the time. Bam can increase your enspell dmg by over 60%.

Wonder if + element dmg effects them... (ok usually a horrible use of an atma but could be interesting)
 Quetzalcoatl.Neisan
By Quetzalcoatl.Neisan 2011-03-10 20:51:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Fencer's ring has sorc ring proc rules sadly (tested it on tigers in altep) so that's out for most times in Abyssea :/ Can't say for day since parse was old, was geusstimating since I didn't have feet back then and cape was only +6. Must have been back further than I thought if it's 339 skill, but I think the formula changed slightly.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-10 21:02:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Fencer's ring has sorc ring proc rules sadly (tested it on tigers in altep) so that's out for most times in Abyssea :/ Can't say for day since parse was old, was geusstimating since I didn't have feet back then and cape was only +6. Must have been back further than I thought if it's 339 skill, but I think the formula changed slightly.
Yeah they took the cap off I think in the update a bit back when they removed alot of caps... meh just don't get hp buff. Idk I'll play around with it.
 Bismarck.Luces
By Bismarck.Luces 2011-03-10 21:12:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I believe this as I was doing the math quickly the other day and my numbers where higher then what the formula was giving me. not sure of my actual skill/gear(I still have not obtained a single enhancing skill up even though they said they improved the rate of it), but with chimaric(with matching day aswell) my enspells where doing 32/28. I'll wait till my enhancing gets closer to cap though before I go do any major testing.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-10 21:18:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Luces said:
I believe this as I was doing the math quickly the other day and my numbers where higher then what the formula was giving me. not sure of my actual skill/gear(I still have not obtained a single enhancing skill up even though they said they improved the rate of it), but with chimaric(with matching day aswell) my enspells where doing 32/28. I'll wait till my enhancing gets closer to cap though before I go do any major testing.
Well according to wiki it's (skill/20)+5. Then add in any +gear then day/weather. I just did it with 341 skill (highest I can get without merits with my current gear and being really undercapped lol) and got 22 so at least right there it was right.

Weird you were getting 6 dmg difference when chimaric suppposedly gives +7... have you tested chimaric itself?
 Diabolos.Inuyushi
Server: Diabolos
user: Inuyushi
By Diabolos.Inuyushi 2011-03-11 11:45:21
Link | Quote | Reply

This is what I use

The feet for Evasion skill, The legs make Ice Spikes better than if I were to cast Paralyze and DEX+5 isn't a bad side. Assault Jerkin for the Atk+18/Acc+3. I used to use Golliard Cuffs for the acc/atk but they're just ugly, so I just put on Serpentes Gloves for the extra regen/refresh. I prefer dagger over sword because imo the faster you hit the more your enspells do damage. To me RDM solo is not about Haste like your a mnk, it's about Surviving. If I cared to make my rdm/nin tha awesome I would get some Dusk Gloves and the Haste+5% belt but meh. I you want to outlive something with rdm solo, I would build a -PDT set for rdm/blu.

As for the other "Haste or Die" people, feel free to flame my gear. I've just returned from a 6 month leave and I'm trying to rebuild the good stuff.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-03-11 11:48:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
To me RDM solo is not about Haste like your a mnk, it's about Surviving and DoT.

Haste doesn't help DoT

You heard it here first
[+]
 Diabolos.Inuyushi
Server: Diabolos
user: Inuyushi
By Diabolos.Inuyushi 2011-03-11 12:17:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah good point. I had a feeling you would be the first to flame Tiger
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-03-11 12:19:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Nah it's not a flame. I just never knew after all these years haste didn't help your DoT.

Oh so many miscalculations on gear comparisons I've done over the years. Thank you, really, for opening my eyes to this. i can't believe I've been so wrong for so long.

Seriously though. There's no need to flame. That set flames itself.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-03-11 12:42:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sorry, but that melee set is just wrong.

Edit: Working on this myself

Have'nt really checked out much for a WS set yet, but I doubt I'll use this much at all anyways.. >_> Just to play around with once I finish the sword xD

Edit2:
Probably something like this for simplicity

Havent checked which gorget that works yet, snow?
Whatever works atleast
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-03-11 13:06:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Quote:
To me RDM solo is not about Haste like your a mnk, it's about Surviving and DoT.

Haste doesn't help DoT

You heard it here first

lol

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Siren.Kunimatsu
Server: Siren
user: Kunimatsu
By Siren.Kunimatsu 2011-03-11 14:34:03
Link | Quote | Reply

10 evasion is doing nothing for RDMs piss poor evasion skill...
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-03-11 14:35:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kunimatsu said:
Pretty much this. You have to get off eva floor before adding eva does anything.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-11 14:42:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kunimatsu said:
WEll if you used triple evasion atmas AND some gear... you will have as much as a naked thf.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.