IE Opens Infinite Windows Every Time I Close This One....

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXIAH.com » Bugs » IE opens infinite windows every time I close this one....
IE opens infinite windows every time I close this one....
First Page 2 3
 Asura.Korpg
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-02-24 04:13:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Sometimes, when I'm finished looking at stuff on this site, and close the window, instead, windows start poping up like crazy.

I have to shutdown my computer for it to stop, which sucks if I'm still playing when it happens.
 Fenrir.Scragg
Administrator
Server: Fenrir
user: Scragg
By Fenrir.Scragg 2009-02-24 04:20:38
Link | Quote | Reply

It's possible you have some adware/spyware, do you have something to check for that installed?
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-02-24 04:24:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I have 3 major firewalls installed, one from my school, 1 from my parents, and one that was given to me by my computer. My virus drive also checks periodically (its Norton btw) so I don't think I have any adware/spyware.

I believe I'm safe in respect for viruses.
 Cerberus.Saiya
Server: Cerberus
user: Saiya
By Cerberus.Saiya 2009-02-24 04:56:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Do you use Firefox/NoScript? For something to do that, it has to be scripting, malware, adware or similar; if it was a computer error, many other people would probably get the same thing.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-02-24 05:04:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Saiya said:
Do you use Firefox/NoScript? For something to do that, it has to be scripting, malware, adware or similar; if it was a computer error, many other people would probably get the same thing.

Which is why I posted, to see if anyone else is getting it.

I'm running a scan atm, but I don't think its anything like that, cause its been happening every once in a while

And I run scans every night also, so it couldn't be something that sticks around too long.
 Caitsith.Alkaid
Server: Caitsith
user: Alky
By Caitsith.Alkaid 2009-02-24 05:10:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I dunno. I don't use IE anymore, Firefox is A LOT safer. But it definitely sounds like you may have some sort of a virus. :/ I can't think of any other reason why infinite browsers would begin to pop up just out of the blue.

Uhg Norton. XD I just recently started using Spysweeper along side Avast! and those two combined have found adware and other things that my norton frequently missed.
 Cerberus.Saiya
user: Saiya
By Cerberus.Saiya 2009-02-24 05:18:18
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're willing for the expenditure, Kaspersky has had a similar difference compared to other Anti-*s i've had. it's the best i've had so far.
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-02-24 05:18:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg said:
and close the window

Maybe your browser doesn't like being neglected.
 Caitsith.Alkaid
Server: Caitsith
user: Alky
By Caitsith.Alkaid 2009-02-24 05:19:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Enternius said:
Korpg said:
and close the window

Maybe your browser doesn't like being neglected.

I lol'd
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-02-24 05:20:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Thing is, its only when I close from this site that causes the infinite browsers to pop up.

On a side note: Norton detected a tracking cookie...

Doubt that has anything to do with it.

But at least I got an update, so got to shutdown and restart for that.
 Asura.Zekky
user: Zekky
By Asura.Zekky 2009-02-24 06:17:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Saiya said:
If you're willing for the expenditure, Kaspersky has had a similar difference compared to other Anti-*s i've had. it's the best i've had so far.

That's what I use! And Saiya's right. The best antiware program I've used yet to day.

And use moar Firefox. IE is done with. It wasn't good before and it isn't good now. ; ;
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-02-24 06:21:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Zekky said:
It wasn't good before and it isn't good now. ; ;

That's what she said.
 Remora.Dubont
Server: Remora
user: Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-02-24 06:25:57
Link | Quote | Reply

if its spyware you could download Malwarebytes. It works for me
 Cerberus.Jiko
user: Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2009-02-24 06:53:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Get AdAware, Spybot S&D, and MalwearBytes, run all three to be safe.

If still nothing, uninstall norton since it sucks anyway and find a new one.
 Remora.Frorant
user: Frorant
By Remora.Frorant 2009-02-24 07:32:15
Link | Quote | Reply

number one... you should NEVER run more than 1 firewall at once. they will over ride each other and cause none of them to work. number two, as long as you keep thinking that you are safe from viruses, you will keep getting them. go download malwarebytes antimalware from download.com and remove your trojans son.. and yes download.com is safe. if you were to go to the malwarebytes website to download it, it will just link you to download.com to download it.
 Remora.Frorant
user: Frorant
By Remora.Frorant 2009-02-24 07:33:35
Link | Quote | Reply

and i guess i didnt read this earlier about norton, yes uninstall norton. its the worst "anti virus" program ever on the face of the earth. followed by a close second mcafee.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-24 08:19:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg said:
I believe I'm safe in respect for viruses.

There's no way of knowing without running regular full system checks. The behaviour you described sounds very much like a virus or infection in Internet Explorer's shutdown .dll file. I'd scan your PC with AVG 8 since it's the best free virus software (It's better than some professional / paid virus software, lol.)

Oh and yes, Norton sucks *** through a straw. Don't use it.

Other than that, USE FIREFOX and this won't happen.
 Ramuh.Scizor
Server: Ramuh
user: Scizor
By Ramuh.Scizor 2009-02-24 08:23:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree with Woooood, My IE kept *** up in a similar way, uninstalled it and switched to firefox, As for AVG I would recommend 7.5 it uses much less system resources.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-24 08:25:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Scizor said:
As for AVG I would recommend 7.5 it uses much less system resources.

True, but the same can be said for pretty much any software out there. There are advantages to using the new versions, even if it involves sacrificing system resources. The main advantage with using AVG8 is that they update the virus database much more often, it scans inside .exe, .zip, .rar, etc and it will scan any ingoing and outgoing files / executions if you ask it to. It also monitors your web browser to make sure you're not clicking on naughty links!

Those are worth a little less free memory imo.
 Ramuh.Scizor
user: Scizor
By Ramuh.Scizor 2009-02-24 08:28:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I have an old PC :/ AVG 8 made playing FF almost impossible lol I really should upgrade...
 Ramuh.Brahmdut
user: brahmdut
By Ramuh.Brahmdut 2009-02-24 08:49:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a frend who put that in to his complaint box so any one who wanted to compalin to him about him would crash if they were useing IE
Server: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-02-24 09:15:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I have to agree with the "dump IE get firefox" crowd. I resisted it for a long time, but finally I got tired of friends bitching at me whenever they used my computer and installed it. It really does work like 100 times better/faster...

Ditto on AVG. Was a Norton user for many years (since like 97) but switched to AVG a year ago and God what an improvement. My computer, which under Norton used to take like 5+ minutes to boot up, now takes 30 seconds. Updating takes like 3 seconds, the full scans are faster, and it doesn't come with all the extraneous garbage that Norton is full of now.
 Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate 2009-02-24 09:32:39
Link | Quote | Reply

i use FireFox with the Noscript add-on i love it oh btw use Linux :P

thats what i do
 Pandemonium.Luignata
Server: Pandemonium
user:
By Pandemonium.Luignata 2009-02-24 09:32:48
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Cardinalgate said:
i use FireFox with the Noscript add-on i love it

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
I have to agree with the "dump IE get firefox" crowd.

Scizor said:
I agree with Woooood, My IE kept *** up in a similar way, uninstalled it and switched to firefox

Wooooodum said:

Zekky said:
And use moar Firefox. IE is done with.

Alkaid said:
I don't use IE anymore, Firefox is A LOT safer.

If you haven't gotten the hint yet... USE FIREFOX!
 Fairy.Lethewaters
Server: Fairy
By Fairy.Lethewaters 2009-02-24 10:07:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree with the above. Dump IE. I run a vista OS and had similar issues.Secondly, I am not a fan of firefox. It has too many add-ons. There are a few web explorers you can use. Try Opera (www.opera.com). I've been using it about a year and rarely had issues with it.
Even with scans, IE is exploited alot.

Wooooodum said:

Unfortunately it can still happen. Just not as often with a different browser. The more popular a browser, the more likely it will have exploits.

Norton is ok sometimes. You really want 2 different Scanners as one may mish any adware/viruses. If you are using Norton for free, use and dump (Norton is almost as bad as McAffee IMO). Spybot SD, Avira and Trendmicro are all free scanners you can use. I actually liked trendmicro so much I bought a subscription. I am running at least 2 scans a week ( 1 from Avira and 1 from Trend) and it's pretty good at picking up any bugs I may have.
 Bahamut.Bojack
Server: Bahamut
user: Bojack316
By Bahamut.Bojack 2009-02-24 11:15:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I use Firefox but didn't get noscript until a couple days ago. I had a similar problem before that. I had infinite windows popping up from this site and it was IE that they were opening in even though I was using Firefox at the time.

Korpg, did each window load with 'Action Cancelled'? If so that's the same thing as me. I didn't have to restart everytime tho. I just opened the Task Manager (alt+Ctrl+del), then under 'Processes' I ended iexplore.exe and all the windows closed and no more popped up...at least until next time I visited Firefox lol. I decided to back up a few things and wipe/reinstall everything, then got noscript with Firefox, so hopefully that doesn't happen again >,<.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-24 11:16:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Lethewaters said:
Unfortunately it can still hhappen.

This exact problem won't. Problem solved.
 Garuda.Antipika
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-02-24 19:14:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Lethewaters said:
The more popular a browser, the more likely it will have exploits.

The more open is the code, the more likely exploits will be discovered and fixed sooner tho.
 Garuda.Littledarc
By Garuda.Littledarc 2009-02-24 20:18:18
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/
 Fenrir.Phatstackodax
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Phatstackodax 2009-02-26 16:18:17
Link | Quote | Reply

you could always just use safari for windows. it's been benchmarking faster than any other browser to date. yup. its faster than opera and firefox. dont have though, i still use firefox mostly... havent seen a good release of safari for linux yet; ;
First Page 2 3