My thoughts
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-12-19 04:02:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Again, like I said earlier. If you're a good player and know how the game works, then you can start with a lv 90 and practice and get it down.

If you can't do that, you probably suck at the job regardless.

FFXI is not a hard game.

I'll agree, the more time you spend on a job, the better you get at it. But guess what, being lv 1-89 doesn't help that at all. Spending time as lv 90 you'll get better just as well.
[+]
 Asura.Yunalaysca
Server: Asura
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2010-12-19 04:03:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
not at all. At lv 90, you have more utilities. While guard is a piece of ***and not worth lv'ing to begin with. You can grab multiple lower lv mobs at once and lv it much faster.

For example, you can go from 0 guard to 200ish in a few days. Get a rdm, and go to B tree. Get 15-20 mandies and phal II. They'll hit for 0-5. Easy to cure so you don't die, 20 mandies hitting twice per round and you think you'll lv it faster lv'ing? When I lv'd mnk the regular way, my guard skill was 96 at lv 75
true perhaps, this was coming from a dnc who had quite alot of face time with the mobs otw to 75 and had nearly 190 by then
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-12-19 04:04:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Even then, can do the same thing w/ parry as you do guard.

And at least parry isn't worthless. Guard is just worthless
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
Server: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2010-12-19 04:05:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Flunklesnarkin said:
....tl/dr.. old ffxi is gone.. either move on to a new challenging game.. or enjoy the casual aspects of the new ffxi

I still enjoy it, even though I find myself working harder than ever to get those stupid seals and +2 items than I ever did before abyssea lol.
 Ramuh.Sagittario
Server: Ramuh
user: Sagi
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2010-12-19 04:07:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Exactly, playing the game is not rocket science. There are just those who suck and those who don't. Of course practice will help, but only making a good player better.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-12-19 04:10:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Reminds me the time I didn't even have ninja unlocked and played my friend's ninja while he fell asleep soloing organs in sea. Nin/rdm. Took I'd say an hour to get my timing down w/ shadows and which ninjutsu to use, etc. How to keep myself alive.
 Ragnarok.Zanno
Server: Ragnarok
user: zanno
By Ragnarok.Zanno 2010-12-19 04:13:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Meh.

"FFXI is easy hurr"

Who'd wanna play an easy game without challanges anyway? Might as well play monopoly with yourself.

inb4: it's a challange to grind levels!

Because this game use to be about more than that, quests, missions, exploring, adventuring, crafting, making gil, hunting that *** lv 12 NM because you really really want what it drops (Read LL and VE, Argus), doing the quests for RSE and actually be excited to get to the lv where you can finally equip it. First trip to kahzam, first airship flight.

But I guess as long as you research your job and can get to max lv within a day, everything else you miss out doesnt matter, right?
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-12-19 04:15:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Grinding out the same, boring thing repetitively isn't really missing out on anything.

I guess Abysseans never had a first airship flight, huh? It was just always there!
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2010-12-19 04:15:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Your role in an exp group 99% of the time is going to be different from your role in endgame group.

There really isn't an endgame anymore >.>; More like FFXI went back to square one with a bunch of NM's out for people to kill. They didn't even put confluxes in areas that required some mission advancement, was all in original areas.

There is no mission advancement to advance to places that abyssea cant take you, because abyssea overtakes anything you can get anywhere else.

So learning how to skillchain properly is not going to happen in abyssea, nor is magic bursting and what to use for what skillchain.

Sure, research and practice or knowledge from your previous job will fix that but not if your a new player. Previous knowledge and skills shouldn't count when your comparing the two.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-12-19 04:18:11
Link | Quote | Reply

By the term endgame, I mean things you do at lv 90.

Also, you need to learn to skill chain? Really? It's common knowledge how to do so, it's a matter of practicing 3 times till you get it right. It doesn't take 89 lvs worth of exping in a pt to learn to SC
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zanno
By Ragnarok.Zanno 2010-12-19 04:18:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Grinding out the same, boring thing repetitively isn't really missing out on anything.

I guess Abysseans never had a first airship flight, huh? It was just always there!

Because everyone have been in this game since release.

Ragnarok.Zanno said:

The last few weeks I played i spent a lot of time with a new player in game. I think it took them around 2 weeks to get from lv 1-85 (mind you this person had never played this game before). When it was time for them to fight maat, they gave their game info to someone else and let them beat him for them (they were playing whm).

They were basically a WHM85/RDM10. They never took the time to stop leveling in order to either quest for spells or farm gil to buy spells. they had no tele spells, and only protectra/shellra 3, no raise 3. They were running around in lv 10 gear until they could equip AF3 (NQ). They were still rank 1, didnt have access to kazham etc etc.

Now This person obviously wasn't a bad person. They just did what SE gave them the ability to do.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-12-19 04:21:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
The last few weeks I played i spent a lot of time with a new player in game. I think it took them around 2 weeks to get from lv 1-85 (mind you this person had never played this game before). When it was time for them to fight maat, they gave their game info to someone else and let them beat him for them (they were playing whm).

Quote:
Again, like I said earlier. If you're a good player and know how the game works, then you can start with a lv 90 and practice and get it down.

FFXI is not a hard game.
[+]
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2010-12-19 04:22:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:

Is fishing endgame then? >.>

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Also, you need to learn to skill chain? Really? It's common knowledge how to do so, it's a matter of practicing 3 times till you get it right. It doesn't take 89 lvs worth of exping in a pt to learn to SC

You would think so, but there are people who cant grasp the concept at all. And by skillchaining I'm not talking about making a skillchain, I'm talking about using the skillchain to your advantage and performing the right one under the right circumstance also knowing what you can make with what job/weapon.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-12-19 04:22:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Leveling helps less skilled players. The ones who know what the *** they're doing or don't know but can learn by researching will be fine.

[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-12-19 04:23:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
You would think so, but there are people who cant grasp the concept at all. And by skillchaining I'm not talking about making a skillchain, I'm talking about using the skillchain to your advantage and performing the right one under the right circumstance also knowing what you can make with what job/weapon.

Again, that's just a shitty player.
[+]
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2010-12-19 04:26:41
Link | Quote | Reply

But old players aren't going to stay around forever tiger lol. The game will need new players and with abyssea they aren't going to have the knowledge we do. This is my whole point, the process of abyssea teaches people nothing and it just shits out level 90 players with nothing but the exp. It takes an experienced player to make a level 90 something into something good, but new players wont know wtf they're doing and follow by example.

Abyssea is what players will do after level 30, or close to it, and it teaches no skills needed to play the game at all.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zanno
By Ragnarok.Zanno 2010-12-19 04:27:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Quote:

Quote:

FFXI is not a hard game.

you really are close minded right? Just because there's end game in ffxi doesnt mean that all ffxi is is end game. If it were, SE might as well just let you log on naked @99 the first time you ever play and let you just do end game to get the gear you want.

Just because you have played this game for a long time, and done all quests, missions, seen all areas, and done everything else there is to do, doesnt mean its a good thing to take away a big chunk of the game for new players.

You can't just see everything from your point of view. Everyone don't like the things you like, and they don't suck because they're not like you.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-12-19 04:28:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Spamming provoke on pld/war for 75 lvs doesn't teach you shout about tanking on pld/nin, either. What's your point?

When you get max level you'll learn the things you need for max level. Most of the ***you learn along the way isn't even applied anymore in most cases.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-12-19 04:31:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Just because you have played this game for a long time, and done all quests, missions, seen all areas, and done everything else there is to do, doesnt mean its a good thing to take away a big chunk of the game for new players.

You can't just see everything from your point of view. Everyone don't like the things you like, and they don't suck because they're not like you.

If they want to do it that bad, nothing is stopping them. People do abyssea to lv more quickly because they want to. Anyonew ho wants to go slow as *** and level is damn well free to do as they choose. Doing Abyssea to lv is a choice.

Nobody has to be like me not to suck. I'm saying they have to know how to learn their job not to suck and leveling the "traditional way" isn't the only nor most efficient way of doing so.

It's an option and a choice, just like abyssea, but suggesting that it is required in order to turn out a good player is just HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE and ridiculous.
[+]
By RingmastersWord 2010-12-19 04:34:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kalilla said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:

Is fishing endgame then? >.>

LOL! Awesome.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2010-12-19 04:35:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Leveling helps less skilled players.

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
...suggesting that it is required in order to turn out a good player is just HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE and ridiculous.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-12-19 04:36:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kalilla said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Leveling helps less skilled players.

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
...suggesting that it is required in order to turn out a good player is just HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE and ridiculous.
And?

I was talking about shitty players in the top quote and good players in the bottom quote.
[+]
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2010-12-19 04:38:08
Link | Quote | Reply

You said "to turn out a good player", suggesting your starting with a player with no experience.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-12-19 04:39:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll rephrase: To be less shitty of a player than they currently are.
 Ragnarok.Zanno
By Ragnarok.Zanno 2010-12-19 04:42:53
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not just about the leveling to learn their job.

Have you even talked with a new player lately?

How the hell are they going to know about the things we did when we lv 5 years ago, if no one tells them? Dont you find it even the slightest bit sad that some people have AF 3+2 gear but have no idea where gusgen mines is?

When I started this game, leveling was the least fun and least exciting part of the game. However, beeing forced to explore new areas, beeing forced to figure out ways to make gil for this or that spell or gear was a big part of the game.

As it is now, SE might as well just close all areas that aren't jeuno or abyssea.

But I guess some people, like me, played the game because they truely enjoyed it, while others just played it to get to be the first to get x level, or be the first to get x gear, grow their epeen an inch by doing 0.00002% more damage than that n00b over there.

Thats why I quit, I've seen it all. Now it's just repetative. Same ***different days.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-12-19 04:43:28
Link | Quote | Reply

You don't need experience. You can gain experience as you play the job. Again, you don't need to be lv 1 to get this experience. You can get the experience as a max lv job.

Like my previous example as playing 75 nin before I had the job unlocked. I had no experience walking into it and walking out of it I had plenty. Played for a few hours. next day I played more. By the end of the week, I was tanking sky NMs as his nin when I didn't even have the job unlocked.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-12-19 04:44:54
Link | Quote | Reply

A new expansion is what I want mainly. Abyssea fantasy XI is boring to say the least.

At least at 75 you needed to pool gear from lots of places therefore more events were done.

Yeah I could go do Sky right now, but what's the point?
[+]
By Artemicion 2010-12-19 04:45:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Remember when accuracy > haste?
Yeah I do too.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-12-19 04:45:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
How the hell are they going to know about the things we did when we lv 5 years ago, if no one tells them?

By researching it?

When people quit the game, the data and all their progress doesn't magically disappear.

Quote:
Dont you find it even the slightest bit sad that some people have AF 3+2 gear but have no idea where gusgen mines is?

Do you find it sad that we're not made to use a slide rule before learning how to use a calculator?

Quote:
But I guess some people, like me, played the game because they truely enjoyed it, while others just played it to get to be the first to get x level, or be the first to get x gear, grow their epeen an inch by doing 0.00002% more damage than that n00b over there.

I enjoy the game just fine, tyvm. Again, I don't even think either of you are listening to what I'm saying. Anyone who WANTS to do that stuff can. I'm simply saying it's not required, where you two are heavily implying that it is.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8