Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » My theory on TH and the new update "tiers"
My theory on TH and the new update "tiers"
 Titan.Eiryn
Server: Titan
Game: FFXI
user: Eiryn
By Titan.Eiryn 2010-12-10 12:50:50
Link | Quote | Reply

From my understanding and SE's explanation of TH and the new "levels" you get from this update it works as such:

TH itself is simply an extra slot where a /random takes place.
TH1 = 1 extra slot
TH2 = 2 extra slots and so on

Use a wild rabbit as an example. A normal wild rabbit can drop Hare meat, Rabbit hide, a crystal or nothing. That is 4 items that are placed in the /random for each slot. Normally the rabbit only has 1 or 2 slots that it can drop one of these items in. Treasure Hunter increases the amount of slots that the items can be /randomed in. So a thf with TH5 would give the loot pool 6 or 7 slots that could drop one of those 4 items. You may not see 6 or 7 items drop because one of the items in the /random is nothing.

The new "levels" of TH do not give an extra slot for an item to drop into, they increase the % of the TH slots to drop something.

So say Hare meat drops at 15% chance, Rabbit hide drops at 15% chance, crystal drops at 20% chance and nothing drops at 50% chance per slot.
Based on the above example, here is my theory on what the "levels" of TH do. They increase the % on the item's chances of dropping per slot. So instead of 15%/15%/20% and 50%nothing, with highest tier it would be 20%/20%/25% and 35%nothing.

So to sum it up it isn't TH10 or whatever, its TH7 + 3 or 4 enhancement. Basically TH and the tiers that you are getting are not the same thing.

*edited*Feel free to correct me if I am wrong with some facts or announcements from SE that I may have missed about TH. My theory on the melee/SA/TA enhancements is open for debate though.
 Lakshmi.Jesi
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jesi
By Lakshmi.Jesi 2010-12-10 13:00:31
Link | Quote | Reply

So people can only prove you wrong with facts directly from SE about Treasure Hunter? While you base your claims on pure speculation.

SE has never said how TH works and probably never will. Guess you will be right for all eternity.

Cool.
[+]
 Phoenix.Kirana
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2010-12-10 13:01:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Titan.Eiryn said:

So to sum it up it isn't TH10 or whatever, its TH7 + 3 or 4 enhancement. Basically TH and the tiers that you are getting are not the same thing.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong with some facts or announcements from SE that I may have missed.

TH from gear/traits is the same thing as TH from melee procs. TH from gear/traits simply increases the initial TH level. For instance, my thf has TH+6 from gear/traits. My first attack against a mob will place TH level 6 on it. If I proc a TH on melee, it will become level 7 (As shown in the chat log). TH from Treasure hound kupower and Dread atma work the same way, adding +1 to the initial TH level.
[+]
 Titan.Eiryn
By Titan.Eiryn 2010-12-10 13:05:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually SE did make an announcement how TH works... its exactly how I stated it, the only theory there is about how the melee/SA/TA enhancement works.
 Asura.Domz
Server: Asura
user: Domz
By Asura.Domz 2010-12-10 13:07:06
Link | Quote | Reply

so wheres the link as proof? >o>
[+]
 Titan.Eiryn
By Titan.Eiryn 2010-12-10 13:08:37
Link | Quote | Reply

If anyone can find it, be my guest, but it was about 2 years ago so I don't even know where to begin searching for that. All I know is that is exactly what it said.
 Bismarck.Maxse
Server: Bismarck
user: maxse
By Bismarck.Maxse 2010-12-10 13:11:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Feel free to find it yourself burden of proof is on you since you are the one with something to prove.
[+]
 Bismarck.Helel
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2010-12-10 13:21:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought the currently accepted belief was that each tier of TH added an extra "roll" to obtain the item? There was some extensive testing on BG that supported this I believe. This was before they added the additional effect treasure hunter stuff. I have no clue how the new additional effect TH works, but I've never heard of TH increasing the # of slots of an item dropping. That just seems totally wrong; there would be overlapping of item slots depending on how many possible drops an NM has etc. Doesn't really make sense to me.
 Bismarck.Nevill
user: Nevill
By Bismarck.Nevill 2010-12-10 13:23:24
Link | Quote | Reply

All SE said about TH is that it functions as an" added effect." With this update, noone knows how the hell TH works.
 Odin.Venomous
Server: Odin
By Odin.Venomous 2010-12-10 13:33:45
Link | Quote | Reply

kinda off topic but TH related. Let's say you're farming pop items for Gods. What are chances of 2 summerstones droppin or even seals from like suzaku. Happened to me a lot yesterday. J/W if the double dropped seals and pop items were always a possibility or is it something new with the update. Thx in advance.
By Darkestdream 2010-12-10 13:54:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Since the update I've done some testing of my own. With Thief's Knife equipped (off-hand) my first proc was TH5. Unequipped Thief's Knife, first proc was TH4. So far I've been able to get it up to TH8.
It seems a bit random on how it procs. I've been wondering if it doesn't count toward crit hits? If this is true I'm not going to be overly happy because of RR and maxing crit hit merits >.>
I'm usually /dnc when soloing, so I also did some testing with Drain Samba 2 up, and it didn't mess with the proc rate at all it appears.
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2010-12-10 13:58:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought the general consensus was that no one really knows how the *** TH works, so just bring a thief with you and shut up.

If there is an explanation on the mechanics of TH made by SE, you should find it. I've never heard of it.
 Bismarck.Nevill
user: Nevill
By Bismarck.Nevill 2010-12-10 14:04:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Nevill said:
All SE said about TH is that it functions as an" added effect." With this update, noone knows how the hell TH works.

This was all that has ever been stated by SE. And, yes I quoted myself.
My thinking is, no matter how much testing is done, it still involves a random number generator, so results are gonna be random.
 Asura.Authority
Server: Asura
user: Authority
By Asura.Authority 2010-12-10 14:17:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Titan.Eiryn said:
From my understanding and SE's explanation of TH and the new "levels" you get from this update it works as such:

TH itself is simply an extra slot where a /random takes place.
TH1 = 1 extra slot
TH2 = 2 extra slots and so on

Use a wild rabbit as an example. A normal wild rabbit can drop Hare meat, Rabbit hide, a crystal or nothing. That is 4 items that are placed in the /random for each slot. Normally the rabbit only has 1 or 2 slots that it can drop one of these items in. Treasure Hunter increases the amount of slots that the items can be /randomed in. So a thf with TH5 would give the loot pool 6 or 7 slots that could drop one of those 4 items. You may not see 6 or 7 items drop because one of the items in the /random is nothing.

The new "levels" of TH do not give an extra slot for an item to drop into, they increase the % of the TH slots to drop something.

So say Hare meat drops at 15% chance, Rabbit hide drops at 15% chance, crystal drops at 20% chance and nothing drops at 50% chance per slot.
Based on the above example, here is my theory on what the "levels" of TH do. They increase the % on the item's chances of dropping per slot. So instead of 15%/15%/20% and 50%nothing, with highest tier it would be 20%/20%/25% and 35%nothing.

*edited*Feel free to correct me if I am wrong with some facts or announcements from SE that I may have missed about TH. My theory on the melee/SA/TA enhancements is open for debate though.

A while back SE stated that crystals have absolutely no weight in the treasure pool, and an item will always take a crystal's spot. Also, there is someone doing testing on BG. He removes different gear with +1 TH, and uses different characters with different levels of the job trait, and each one gives a +1 to TH.

Basically, if he started with TH+3 total at level 90 THF, his triggering TH attack would bring it to 4. If he started with a character that only had TH2, his triggering attack would bring it to 3. If he started with a character that had TH3 as well as thief knife, his triggering attack would bring it to 5. Therefore, each individual trait, and each individual bonus via gear/atma what have you is simply a single increase in Treasure Hunter.

Lawyered.

Edit - In regards to your idea about it opening up an additional slot, there are a few trains of though. Use Mee Deggi the Punisher for example. He has a single slot to drop an item, either impact knuckles or Ochimusha's Kote. Some think that stacking TH has no effect on him because it is either one or the other, and the game cannot determine which item you actually WANT, therefore it just causes it to random between the two. SE would have had to actually implement a mechanic on specific NMs where one item is weighted higher than the other outside of crystals (which will never replace an item) in order to achieve this. While possible, it is highly unlikely. In my opinion, I feel that TH simply increases the % chance that an item will drop. They set parameters for the NM, how many items it CAN drop, and then the system randoms on all the items in its possible treasure pool. If they succeed, the item will drop and fill up a spot. If there is only one spot, then the item with the higher roll will take that spot.
[+]