Orange Box Or New Gear At 99?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Orange box or new gear at 99?
Orange box or new gear at 99?
 Odin.Sheelay
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2010-12-10 03:01:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Seeing how we've all gotten used to obtaining +2 versions of armor and weapons, the question is, do you believe we'll be getting yet another enhanced version past 90 or will we see yet new gear introduced?

When lvl 80 was released, the ToM weapons that we started working on at lvl 75 were renamed upon completion and the level requirement to equip them was raised to 80.

Then, at lvl 85 they were turned into +1 versions, and finally +2 at lvl 90. If there's a pattern to why SE went from renaming to HQing these weapons, will this mean we will see our last ToMs at 95?

Thoughts?
 Lakshmi.Chilzen
Server: Lakshmi
user: Chilzen
By Lakshmi.Chilzen 2010-12-10 03:33:17
Link | Quote | Reply

The Emp gearsets for each job is the usual ho hum "Look at me! I'm <job>!", which makes the player have the iconic look of the job they're playing as at the time.

Based on Artifact and Relic gears of old, I'm going to guess SE will just keep Emp Armor as a +2 at max for the unforseeable future, since it's really more of a placeholder set (With kickass stats and ability augments), while there's certainly nicer pieces with a wider range of job usage to pick through for those who want / will put the time into it. Artifact was to get all players to look like their jobs, and helped with stats as well as defined their roles. Relic was a somewhat easy to obtain set of gear that anyone could work towards by joining a Dyna LS. Empyrean sets are usually easy to quest, or to do pickup NM shouts, making them accessible to all who wish to put the time and effort into obtaining them.

At 75, was there better gear than Relic? Yes, there was. The same will happen with Emp gear at 91+, but thems the breaks when SE designed a loot heavy game to keep the players running onward with their pockets opened.

As far as the renaming and now +2 versions of weapons, I figure SE will ultimately just rename them in the next update. You have to stop and ask yourself, "Is a weapon +3 really the same as the NQ version anymore? Or has it become a beast of it's own merit?" Also, consider how SE loves to toss in random splits and branches lately on weapons, like the Double Attack on Occ. Attack Twice weapons, or the new TP +100% weapons. I don't think they're really setting up to lock themselves into a position where they have to Orange box just yet. Orange box for +3 is the ultimate of quality, and I suspect they'll go with that for "Final Upgrades", should such a thing ever even happen. Just because the cap will finally hit 99 some day, doesn't mean they have to stop doing paths and upgrades on Magian trials.

tl;dr Iconic gear designed for all to be able to get, XI is business and SE will dangle the carrot to get us to chase after newer shinies so we pay longer.

[+]
 Lakshmi.Galvaya
Server: Lakshmi
user: Galvaya
By Lakshmi.Galvaya 2010-12-10 03:41:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I partially agree with chilzen...
however, from the beginning of EP armor, I just assumed it would be +3, with gold boxes a lvl 90~99, perhaps even 95~99.
We might even see it go to +4, with +3 being between 90~95, and +4 with 95~99.
I don't think this is the end of our EP armor upgrades by any means. Or weapons for that matter, I see +3/4 on those too.

However, I do think that we might see customizable stats. Sorta like the moonshade earrings augments, where you can choose if you want your lancer legs+3/4 to have jump accy, or high jump accy. Perhaps.

your BLM, do you want feet to give Magic burst++ or do you want Mag Crit hit rate++

etc.

I think this would allow them to achieve their goal, of people looking like they job that they're on, while mixing in preference of someones individual player style.
 Asura.Fetus
Server: Asura
By Asura.Fetus 2010-12-10 03:52:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I suspect that AF3+2 will be upgraded to +3 by the time 99 comes, possibly starting as early as level 91, though I kind of doubt it. I think they'll give us plenty of time to relish having 5/5 AF3+2 for awhile. I assume that ToM weapons will follow suite to +3, regardless of the path taken, probably sooner rather than later or at least before AF3 becomes capable of being upgraded even further (if it ever does).

As far as customizable stats, I want to keep the hope alive until proven otherwise. Hopefully the new director will deliver. I'm also pining for unique icons/graphics/sprites/whatever for fulling upgraded ToM weapons. Nothing more disappointing than doing all this work for a weapon that looks like something you could buy from the AH.
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
Server: Leviathan
user: Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2010-12-10 04:01:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Galvaya said:
I partially agree with chilzen...
however, from the beginning of EP armor, I just assumed it would be +3, with gold boxes a lvl 90~99, perhaps even 95~99.
We might even see it go to +4, with +3 being between 90~95, and +4 with 95~99.
I don't think this is the end of our EP armor upgrades by any means. Or weapons for that matter, I see +3/4 on those too.

However, I do think that we might see customizable stats. Sorta like the moonshade earrings augments, where you can choose if you want your lancer legs+3/4 to have jump accy, or high jump accy. Perhaps.

your BLM, do you want feet to give Magic burst++ or do you want Mag Crit hit rate++

etc.

I think this would allow them to achieve their goal, of people looking like they job that they're on, while mixing in preference of someones individual player style.

Neither, I'd like something useful.