Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » Parazonium +2
Parazonium +2
 Unicorn.Divinian
Server: Unicorn
Game: FFXI
user: Divinian
By Unicorn.Divinian 2010-12-08 08:24:54
Link | Quote | Reply

So a while back when Magian Trials were first introduced, I decided that I wanted to got for an OAT weapon. I looked at the two possibilities and it was obvious that the path that required eyes of verthandi was a better choice and the fact that vert eyes were hard to come by was the trade off. I decided that I would rather wait for eyes and have a better weapon than just going for the other so I started the long process of doing VNM here and there with my LS and lotting on eyes when I could. In all it took me 9 months to complete.

The last update we had when we went to 85 I saw that the lower damage OAT was given Occasionally Attacks 2-3 times and was a bit discouraged, but trudged ahead with my OAT weapon since I was already half there. I had hoped that the final product would still be slightly better due to the fact that I could main-hand it if I wanted to for much better damage than the lower damage one (Like when using a thief's knife).

I finally finished my weapon last week and then the update hit Monday. The lower damage parazonium is now occasionally attacks 2-4 times and the higher damage one only gained +2 damage. It seems to me like I made the wrong choice and I should have just done the OA 2-4 times one from the very beginning and this is very disappointing since it took me so long to finish the verthandi eyes trial.

I am now just wondering what others who have done either of these paths think. Maybe I should start the other path and throw my current parazonium away?...maybe someone will give me a good reason to keep it? Either way I would love to hear the input of others out there. Thanks
 Ramuh.Laffter
Server: Ramuh
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2010-12-08 08:29:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Keep in mind that most, if not all, OA 2-4 weapons are meant to build TP quickly. If you're hoping for awesome damage with them, you should probably do for higher damage ones instead.
 Unicorn.Divinian
Server: Unicorn
user: Divinian
By Unicorn.Divinian 2010-12-08 08:34:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes. Its basically the same as the M kris idea. Low damage but high TP building weapon. At first, the higher damage one was the ONLY good choice between the two and this led me to believe that I was getting a weapon that would continue to be better. However, the evolution of these daggers now has the OA 2-4 at an advantage when considering their original purpose, which was to attack more times per round for more TP. I had originally thought of the better damage as just a nice bonus, but now this dagger is all about that extra damage and that was never my priority. If only I had known!
 Asura.Ina
Server: Asura
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2010-12-08 08:51:39
Link | Quote | Reply

From what i know if you are looking for for damage then the double attack + one is the best one (30 azede kills if i remember right to branch into it).
These weapon paths are totally dependent on what you do as a player, i have the multi hit weapon path built for nin (working on dagger as well) as the OA2-3 (250 beast kills left on trial for 2-4) and for me since i solo alot as /dnc its the one that works best. It does less damage overall then either of the other two options but when i'm not useing dual eva sekkas the extra hits really help out since they hit hard enough to get full potency from drain samba as well as providing extra tp for waltzs...
Before someone says it i know thf and nin are different jobs it's just an example of how playstyle/habbits effect which is best vs someone who is working under high haste with a mage 90% of the time.
 Phoenix.Juggalo
Server: Phoenix
user: Juggalo
By Phoenix.Juggalo 2010-12-08 08:57:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Divinian, I stopped my path at the Trial completion of the Hippogryph x300, right before the branch into each part. I figured just like you that I'd hope to one day catch 10 Verthandi Eyes and then continue on, and I'd only get the Trial for that inscribed once I fetched the 10 eyes (I've yet to get one - too much other content, and I'm a DRG main). I'm glad I did, and will probably still hold off until 99, just to see what the final trials end up being. Hell, even after 99, they could still add future Trials for future augments, so overall it can be a crapshoot.

If you've already completed once branch and are considering doing the other, I'd keep the one you have as well. The future might see the next trial tip the scales again.
 Leviathan.Niniann
Server: Leviathan
user: Ninian
By Leviathan.Niniann 2010-12-08 09:03:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm in the same position as you, Div. Honestly, just hold of until 99. If our dagger is the best option at 99 and you toss it, you'll be really sad. Besides, our dagger has a decent DPS. :<
[+]
 Phoenix.Kirana
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2010-12-08 09:11:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Realize that thf can hit ~20% triple attack as it stands right now, which will probably be higher in the next update. Stacking this with your AF3+2 set bonus will very nice. With an OAT/2-4 weapon, you are missing out on these triple attacks, and thus your set bonus as well. I would honestly go for a higher damage weapon and maximize your triple attack trait. The OAT/2-4 daggers much more useful for dnc for TP gain + healing spam.
 Caitsith.Kalima
Server: Caitsith
user: Kalima
By Caitsith.Kalima 2010-12-08 16:28:27
Link | Quote | Reply

IIRC both double and triple attack checks before the "occasionally attacks" stuff so it would be the other way around in that triple attack hurts the dagger. Yet it's not useless if you're going for tp gain.

Anyway, as said before with the new triple attack atmas this dagger seems to lose a bit luster. I have one, but only for my dnc which I couldn't live without it, when I'm on thf it never gets used, even outside of abyssea.
 Asura.Shamaya
Server: Asura
user: Shamaya
By Asura.Shamaya 2010-12-10 03:17:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
IIRC both double and triple attack checks before the "occasionally attacks"
IIRC it's the other way around but I haven't checked on this in about a year.

Either way, either the 2-4x is getting in the way of your d.a./t.a., or your d.a./t.a. is getting int he way of your 2-4x.

The D.A. Magian Trial dagger wasn't that good in the previous update. Maybe it's decent now. If you're comparing it to the OAT and 2-4x, hmm..

2-4Parazonium, you could pretend is proccing 2.5x on average. Now mind you, the 2-3Parazonium acutally had a proc rate /less than/ the expected 2x/round average. So the 2-4Parazonium might also have a lowish proc rate. Either way, if you take the base damage 22 and multiply by 2.5, you get 55. Take OAT's 38 base damage and multiply by 1.5, and you get 57. Take D.A.+10's base damage of 45 and multiply by 1.1, and you get 49.5.

So from a DOT and TP-gain standpoint, DA+10 dagger is inferior to both of these others. However, given the triple attack and double attack thief uses from traits/gears, the numbers above are not very good approximations of an adjusted, pretend base-damage value. But for TP gain, it's still obvious that 2-4 > OAT > DA+10. DA+10 has a small edge going for it in that D.A. can proc on weapon skills.

@OP; I would do what they mentioned on allah'; wait till 99.