Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Black Mage » Trials: M. Acc vs M. Dmg
Trials: M. Acc vs M. Dmg
 Phoenix.Juggalo
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Juggalo
By Phoenix.Juggalo 2010-11-17 10:29:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi all. Just curious, if I wanted to initiate the Staff Trials to work my way towards Elemental Affinity staves (for whichever element(s) I pick), would you recommend the final path being Elemental Affinity: Magic Accuracy or Elemental Affinity: Magic Damage? I know I'd have a long way to go before having to make that path/branch decision and all, but I'm curious of people's preferences on here, and why.

Granted, this could change depending on what we see on BLM Body/Hands (and other new items added), but I'm still curious, at least at this time, what's the generalized preferred choice between these two paths for the Staff Trials.

Thanks!
 Cerberus.Zandra
Server: Cerberus
user: Zandra7
By Cerberus.Zandra 2010-11-17 10:35:20
Link | Quote | Reply

DMG for sure. You can always add more M.acc to compensate for resisted nukes. There is only so much MAB gear out there to boost DMG.

Buckle up though cause the trials are LONG and tedious. ESP if you're a SCH.
[+]
 Luz
By Luz 2010-11-17 10:39:13
Link | Quote | Reply

With the advent of multiple lunar abyssite and furtherance abyssite (enhance cruor buffs) and atmas that give enormous amounts of INT I would agree I wouldn't put the emphasis on gear-based accuracy.
[+]
 Leviathan.Niniann
Server: Leviathan
user: Ninian
By Leviathan.Niniann 2010-11-17 10:44:23
Link | Quote | Reply

If you were a BRD or RDM I'd consider getting macc staves for things like slow/elegy and sleep. If you're trying to do damage with said element, mattack for sure.
 Quetzalcoatl.Vileplume
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Jarbino
By Quetzalcoatl.Vileplume 2010-11-17 10:46:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Magic Accuracy shouldn't be a big issue on Black Mage, so I would most definitely go for the Magic damage+ staves.
 Quetzalcoatl.Terribleone
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Terribleone 2010-11-17 12:04:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I was wondering if it was worth doing the INT and MAB staff over the Affinity staves.
 Asura.Eeek
Server: Asura
user: Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2010-11-17 12:04:52
Link | Quote | Reply

My BLM's resist gearset is getting awfully dusty these days...

(I finally got my AF2 hat back in August, and I've never felt the need to use it aside from town gear... :/)

I'm (slowly) catching up on magian staves. As of now, I'm only working on two damage staves: thunder and ice. I may do more damage staves later on down the road depending on new content, new spells, and boredom. That being said, I do keep kicking around the idea of making a dark damage staff for drain and aspirs...

As for accuracy staves, I'd only seriously consider a dark accuracy staff specifically for sleeps. I know a hardcore BLM could find uses for the other accuracy staves.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-11-17 12:36:04
Link | Quote | Reply

DMG staff.
I never use resist-set anymore, with capped skill and merits you floor resist-rates on nearly everything tbh.
 Sylph.Krsone
Server: Sylph
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2010-11-17 13:11:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Terribleone said:
I was wondering if it was worth doing the INT and MAB staff over the Affinity staves.

In answer to your question, no. Ultimately its your choice to decide how much work you want to go through but Shareeravadi on wiki has 6 int and 10mab and im assuming hq has 8int and 12mab this will be inferior to affinity dmg staffs.

The only reason that staff is there because it falls in line with the pattern of TotM weapons its not actually worth doing imo.
 Cerberus.Zandra
user: Zandra7
By Cerberus.Zandra 2010-11-17 13:22:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Terribleone said:

Unfortunately upon comparison, its a joke, 11 MAB and 8 INT now will be inbetween a NQ and a HQ staff interms of nuking dmg. Compare this to the affinity +5 cap now which is literally 2 HQ Staffs of nuking dmg. However by 99 I don't think its out of the question that the ICE/INT path will be better than the existing HQ staffs.

For enfeebs if you're looking at the dark path staff to sub for all your enfeebling staffs, the loose comparison is that you need 30+ (a little more actually) Magic Accuracy to match what the HQ can provide. But I doubt that by 99 even the dark path will be potent enough to substitute. If you're still looking for a space saving solution I suggest the Alkalurops.
[+]
 Sylph.Krsone
Server: Sylph
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2010-11-17 13:30:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Basically what I just said, was going to mention that if you want a high int elemental dot build to consider kirins pole or alkalurops its the only blm use for them though imo or potency enfeebling. Dont need either to cap stoneskin really now even with alot of fastcast conserve mp in all other slots besides ones that only can provide mnd.

If anyone in abyssea dont mind burning a few mins with blm, int gear, minkin/curor int buffs to test next tier of elemental dots and int required to hit it wld be good ty. Its gonna be around 200 which is well within reachin with these buffs, just am curious what exact figure is.