Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » Varangian Helm and you/GS build
Varangian Helm and you/GS build
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2010-11-11 00:12:52
Link | Quote | Reply

So earlier today someone told me they just got this helmet and they said it sucks for guillotine. Then I believe I said the helm could be good if you capped out accuracy. Also the helm is good for 1 hit weaponskills like spinning slash. Then they proceeded to say GS drk's suck. Iono if i've been trolled or not.
Can anyone explain D:?
Also~
current TP build (getting blitz ring soon & saving up for update)

current WS build (getting breeze gorget as soon as i can get a gorget)

So any suggestions to improve my GS build? I working towards bale feet+1. But other than that any thoughts?
 Bismarck.Touvan
Server: Bismarck
user: Touvan
By Bismarck.Touvan 2010-11-11 00:21:14
Link | Quote | Reply

The helm is great for 1 hit WS, if you manage to cap out acc it can be good but good luck with that acc-24, and Scythe will yield better results in most situations.
 Fenrir.Gradd
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-11-11 00:40:21
Link | Quote | Reply

If you are working on a Torcleaver Great Sword it will wipe the floor with anything a DRK using a scythe can dish out in any situation.

At the moment GS >>> Scythe, by a long shot. Who knows with the next update coming out soon tho.

Also all single hit WS have Capped ACC, so Vhelm is perfect for Great Sword.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2010-11-11 00:45:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said:
If you are working on a Torcleaver Great Sword it will wipe the floor with anything a DRK using a scythe can dish out in any situation. At the moment GS >>> Scythe, by a long shot. Who knows with the next update coming out soon tho. Also all single hit WS have Capped ACC, so Vhelm is perfect for Great Sword.
great! I can't wait till i can get to use torcleaver.
in terms of gear~ any suggetions on improvement
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-11-11 01:10:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said:
If you are working on a Torcleaver Great Sword it will wipe the floor with anything a DRK using a scythe can dish out in any situation.

At the moment GS >>> Scythe, by a long shot. Who knows with the next update coming out soon tho.

What exactly are we basing this on? Haven't seen any fTP/WSC info on Torcleaver or Quietus.
By Serj 2010-11-11 01:27:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Fenrir.Gradd said:

What exactly are we basing this on? Haven't seen any fTP/WSC info on Torcleaver or Quietus.

* Element: None

* Skillchain Properties: File:Light-Icon.gifLight/File:Distortion-Icon.gifDistortion

* Modifiers: VIT:60%

* Damage Multipliers by TP:

100%TP 200%TP 300%TP
4.75 5.75 6.5

On wiki. /shrug, idk.

Edit: That's Torcleaver.
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-11-11 02:29:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Gross

Its just straight VIT? No STR in the mod at all?
By Serj 2010-11-11 02:33:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said:
Gross

100%TP 200%TP 300%TP
4.75 5.75 6.5

you realize how massive that is?
 Ifrit.Eikechi
Server: Ifrit
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-11-11 02:35:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Serj said:
Fenrir.Gradd said:
Gross

100%TP 200%TP 300%TP
4.75 5.75 6.5

seriously... Atma of the Would be King says hi...
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-11-11 02:35:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Serj said:
Fenrir.Gradd said:
Gross

100%TP 200%TP 300%TP
4.75 5.75 6.5

Yea, but still think its lame that theres no STR in the mod lol
 Ifrit.Eikechi
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-11-11 03:00:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said:
Yea, but still think its lame that theres no STR in the mod lol

Ya....damn SE for not letting Drk stack its only real melee stat it has in abundance... mother f-ers..... lol Seriously the TP mod is more than enough to warrent it doing nice dmg..and Atma of the Mountain Champion says hi.. +50 vit or so hehe and maybe it'll give drks a reason to use Ares Cuirass again, since so many damn people were crying the salvage gear is "useless" now
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-11-11 05:05:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I really dont think that atma is worth giving up RR or Eve Atmas in any situation.

Eve atma is just insane, and RR is crazy for what it does to your crit rate/damage.
 Ifrit.Eikechi
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-11-11 05:10:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said:
I really dont think that atma is worth giving up RR or Eve Atmas in any situation.

Eve atma is just insane, and RR is crazy for what it does to your crit rate/damage.

RR only really works for your DPS on crit based WSs though... is Spin Slash or Torcleaver crit based? I'm not so sure... so ya it would be a good trade off, all things considered... since /sam will have med, and you'll have ab-tp and nether void to help with that..and sekkanoki... so your WS dmg will be rather high, and somewhat frequent.. those TP anchor points 100, 200, 300, have vastly different dmg... so +20-40 TP from Atma of the Would Be King would go nicely with VV atma...
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-11-11 05:14:05
Link | Quote | Reply

It adds 30% to your crit rate and damage of your crits........... Smart DD dont ignore the damage they put out during the TP phase. My Amano friends Relic Crits hit for 1k+ w/ RR atma.

RR is STILL the best atma in the game even if you do not have a crit based WS.
 Ifrit.Eikechi
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-11-11 05:16:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said:
It adds 30% to your crit rate and damage of your crits........... Smart DD dont ignore the damage they put out during the TP phase. My Amano friends Relic Crits hit for 1k+ w/ RR atma.

RR is STILL the best atma in the game even if you do not have a crit based WS.

no..i wouldn't agree with that, honestly... and how often is that 1k crit procing? is that with the hidden double dmg effect? i mean really a sam looks to achieve a 5 or 6 hit build per WS...those 5/6 hits if 1/2 crit (and thats very generous) aren't going to amount to the massive WS dmg+ the 40+ is gonna add to non-crit WS as well as the conserve TP+ on the same atma
 Ifrit.Eikechi
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-11-11 05:18:11
Link | Quote | Reply

NOT to mention the VV atma is giving you 2/tick regain which is LOWERING YOUR HIT BUILD PER WS so you WS more frequently and are in essence meleeing even less....
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-11-11 05:19:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Then we are going to have to agree to disagree my friend, I dont think you have witnessed what RR atma does to a melees TP phase, ive parsed DDs with 69% Crit rates using certain atma combos, that is not something that should be Ignored.
 Ifrit.Eikechi
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-11-11 05:22:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said:
Then we are going to have to agree to disagree my friend, I dont think you have witnessed what RR atma does to a melees TP phase, ive parsed DDs with 69% Crit rates using certain atma combos, that is not something that should be Ignored.

lol i have the RR atma for pup....but its mainly for crit based WS jobs (pup/drg/war).. i dont have VV atma for sam, so i'd probably use it on sam with my other shitty atma, simply because i dont have WBK or any of the triple att atmas
 Asura.Karbuncle
Server: Asura
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2010-11-11 05:23:13
Link | Quote | Reply

You know you can equip 2 Atma's right now right? and probably 3 next update?

For Offensive purposes, RR/VV is the best combo, for Offensive, not taking into account defensive properties.

a 30% increase in Critical Hit Rate, on top of the +50DEX crit improvement, and a 30% DMG increase to critical hits is more than enough reason to use it, no other Atma will touch that in terms of raw Damage/DPS, and in most cases WS numbers.

Even with Torcleaver having an absurd VIT mod, RR/VV would be your best bet in Atmas simply due to the increase in your TP-phase damage output.

You won't hit E-peen SS number, But you'll definitely perform over-all better.

Its basically a giant misconception RR is only good for Crit WS's, Its a fantastic improvement to TP-phase DPS, with or without a good Crit WS.
[+]
 Ifrit.Eikechi
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-11-11 05:26:36
Link | Quote | Reply

yes Karb, but the WS /melee swings split on certain jobs (sam is what was brought up mainly here) is more WS dmg than TP phase dmg
 Asura.Karbuncle
Server: Asura
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2010-11-11 05:27:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, DRK/THF GO! Totally SA/Torcleaver for E-peen shots!

Ifrit.Eikechi said:
yes Karb, but the WS /melee swings split on certain jobs (sam is what was brought up mainly here) is more WS dmg than TP phase dmg

And I'm saying, true or not, the over-all DPS gain from RR will very likely outweigh +50VIT for Torc.
By Pawnskipper 2010-11-15 07:35:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Serj said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Fenrir.Gradd said:
If you are working on a Torcleaver Great Sword it will wipe the floor with anything a DRK using a scythe can dish out in any situation. At the moment GS >>> Scythe, by a long shot. Who knows with the next update coming out soon tho. Also all single hit WS have Capped ACC, so Vhelm is perfect for Great Sword.
* Element: None * Skillchain Properties: File:Light-Icon.gifLight/File:Distortion-Icon.gifDistortion * Modifiers: VIT:60% * Damage Multipliers by TP: 100%TP 200%TP 300%TP 4.75 5.75 6.5 On wiki. /shrug, idk. Edit: That's Torcleaver.

O.O Absorb - Vit just got better.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-11-15 07:49:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Source for testing on that? I've seen very little in the way of good data as far as fTP/WSC info on anything that isn't Fudo, which is kind of problematic as I have a lot of theorycrafting I'd like to do with the new weaponskills.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-11-15 08:12:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Haven't seen any testing either, looks like copy/pasta from Wiki probably edited by anon. Mods look kinda high considering the low damage screenshots around.
 Cerberus.Starr
Server: Cerberus
user: Starr
By Cerberus.Starr 2010-11-15 09:08:41
Link | Quote | Reply

u suk
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2010-11-15 10:12:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Starr said:
u suk
at
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
user: Gias
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-11-15 11:18:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Pawnskipper said:
Serj said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Fenrir.Gradd said:
* Element: None * Skillchain Properties: File:Light-Icon.gifLight/File:Distortion-Icon.gifDistortion * Modifiers: VIT:60% * Damage Multipliers by TP: 100%TP 200%TP 300%TP 4.75 5.75 6.5 On wiki. /shrug, idk. Edit: That's Torcleaver.

O.O Absorb - Vit just got better.

No. Absorb-Vit still sucks.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-11-15 11:21:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Might be half decent if you're in a larger group, save for the fact that fSTR is autocapped these days lol.
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
user: Gias
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-11-15 11:27:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Might be half decent if you're in a larger group, save for the fact that fSTR is autocapped these days lol.

That and the fact that absorb-attribute spells are also generally not worth casting while you're meleeing, specially at high haste situations.

Also the fact that absorb-attribute spells don't last very long, and they have a decaying effect as well =/