SquareEnix Earnings Call
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-11-15 09:59:55
Link | Quote | Reply

It doesn't matter whether you call it undercutting or competition, it's the same thing, although I do agree that it's not such an evil thing as people make out. Ignore the copyright part of what I said and read the rest if it offends you so badly, and tell me those three ways of making money aren't true. You add customer service and customer loyalty into the mix, which is something else that doesn't transfer to the in-game society, but it's also the same for on-line shopping.

At the end of the day, if you're trying to buy something, you're going to go where it's cheapest. Very few people in this day and age will buy something for more than they have to out of loyalty, and if they do, more often than not you're talking retail or hospitality, which just doesn't fit the mold. The following sentence only works in a face to face shopping environment; "Well, they're kind of expensive, but the service is so amazing I don't mind paying that little extra." Even then, most people will still go for the cheaper option.

So my point stands really, undercutting (or competition if you will) is an economic fact of life, outside of forming a cartel with your competition, there's really nothing you can do about it. There are ways you can work around competition, or even ways to make it work in your favour if you're shrewd enough (I'm not), but you can't avoid it. Any economic system that appears to solve the "issue" of competition can only be doing so at great detriment to the populace. The current ward system for instance, undercutting isn't so much of an issue because things are so *** hard to find that most people will just buy what they want the first time they see it.
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-11-15 10:19:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Droc said:
ive played ffxi on and off for 5 years or so so ive seen the economy when like some 1 siad be4 when sh"s were 30 mil and ive seen it when they were 250k and what it boils down to is the maturity of the player which in ffxi case would lead to supply and demand for the simple fact that every one had a sh by the time it got down to 250 k be cause its not a consummable item now ive raised cooking to 100 in ffxi and also have my fishing at 80+ with a lu rod so i could catch every fish u need for fishing to make sushi what i noticed was that people camped the ah for fish to turn sushi out as fast as possible and then sold at a lost which i thought was funny because i could price with them and still make a huge profit because im only paying for the wasbi ect..with that said the problem i see with ffxiv is that there is no price point for any thing at all and until thats established there system is going to be flawed. just adding the search feature really anit gonna change the dynamics to favor the person whose item pops up first because if u a smart shopper ull look for the lowest priced item or atleast compare prices i understand gil is pretty easy to come by in ffxiv right now but that usually changes as people rank up ect especially the way ffxiv is set up i could rank every job up then what would i need any one for because i farm/craft every thing on my own or with a few friends basically what im trying to get at is yes the ah in ffxi is jacked but the same thing can and prolly will happen to ffxiv for the simple fact of the way u rank up in the game there would be no need to buy anything from any 1 cuz u could make it your self
You're not very smart are you? Firstly, if the other people selling sushi were actually making a loss, then you'd have made more money by selling the fish you caught to them, rather than bothering to make the sushi. More realistically is that they were just making less profit than you, not a loss, but by buying the fish off AH rather than spending all that time catching it themselves, they can sell more, and spend their time doing other things (like farming something that sells for more than fish).

Secondly, I'm not sure (it's hard to make sense of your rambling) you really understand supply and demand. SH's used to be worth a lot because A: everything was worth a lot and B: they were *** hard to get. If everything is selling for high prices, then everyone is making more money, and have more money to spend, so can afford to buy more expensive items, so the people that sold those items have more money, and they can afford to... see where I'm going with this? Over time though, V.Claws came from more NMs, and it became easier and easier to kill those NMs. Also, more and more people got boneworking(?) high enough to make them, which cut into a corner of the market that was previously held by very few people. ie. more competition = lower prices.
[+]
 Caitsith.Jadi
Server: Caitsith
user: Jadi
By Caitsith.Jadi 2010-11-15 13:28:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Blazza said:
It doesn't matter whether you call it undercutting or competition, it's the same thing, although I do agree that it's not such an evil thing as people make out. Ignore the copyright part of what I said and read the rest if it offends you so badly, and tell me those three ways of making money aren't true. You add customer service and customer loyalty into the mix, which is something else that doesn't transfer to the in-game society, but it's also the same for on-line shopping.

At the end of the day, if you're trying to buy something, you're going to go where it's cheapest. Very few people in this day and age will buy something for more than they have to out of loyalty, and if they do, more often than not you're talking retail or hospitality, which just doesn't fit the mold. The following sentence only works in a face to face shopping environment; "Well, they're kind of expensive, but the service is so amazing I don't mind paying that little extra." Even then, most people will still go for the cheaper option.

So my point stands really, undercutting (or competition if you will) is an economic fact of life, outside of forming a cartel with your competition, there's really nothing you can do about it. There are ways you can work around competition, or even ways to make it work in your favour if you're shrewd enough (I'm not), but you can't avoid it. Any economic system that appears to solve the "issue" of competition can only be doing so at great detriment to the populace. The current ward system for instance, undercutting isn't so much of an issue because things are so *** hard to find that most people will just buy what they want the first time they see it.

That's actually a very true thing you said. When controls are in place to prevent that, bad things happen, market distortions etc.

When I say you make money by serving your customer I don't mean only loyalty or something to that regard.. I mean you find something that people want or need and then you give it to them. Google gives people great search engines, Apple makes fine computer products, Amazon sells practically everything one could want at competitive prices. These businesses are experts at finding out what people want, and preforming as close as possible to that end in order to turn a profit. I mean your right that a lot of people will use the power of government to subvert that process (military contracts, lobbying government spending etc) but thats not an honest way to really do it. I guess thats the difference between a free market and crony capitalism.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-11-29 07:53:04
Link | Quote | Reply

So 14 is free to play now until March... lol!
Actually not a bad idea.
By Purplenv 2010-11-29 08:08:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said:
So 14 is free to play now until March... lol! Actually not a bad idea.

lol, that is not what it says
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-11-29 08:31:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Purplenv said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:

Ok yeah you have to a FFXI account that's not in trial period too.
 Carbuncle.Ronson
Server: Carbuncle
user: ronson
By Carbuncle.Ronson 2010-11-29 08:33:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Pwrlessgirl said:
Well, I'm reluctantly supporting FF14 by staying loyal to it and paying the upcoming monthly fees, however.... If they do not put an Auction House and get rid of this retainer crap, there will be 2 less account for S.E. by January 2011. I am hanging on to FF11 becuase theres' a 75% chance I will be back Full time into it. to S.E.: Use what you learned from ff11, put an auctionhouse and save me the trouble searching through 100's of people for things I don't need, needless to say save me those two hours to go out and kill stuff. If Steven Spielberg waited 10+ year for technology to advance enough to make a movie like Avatar, you can take another 5 years and come up with a good MMO that is fun to play, and not a second job.

eer i think you mean James Cameron not "steven jurassic park spielberg"

Development on Avatar began in 1994, when Cameron wrote an 80-page scriptment for the film.[12] Filming was supposed to take place after the completion of Cameron's 1997 film Titanic, for a planned release in 1999,[13] but according to Cameron, the necessary technology was not yet available to achieve his vision of the film.
 Carbuncle.Ronson
By Carbuncle.Ronson 2010-11-29 10:13:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said:
Unmei said:
Yeah the game is way better with no AH I've been playing since Oct 15th and have made over a mil already. A AH will destroy the markets system like 11's is.
What actually destroyed 11 market is 95% of the new gear being R/EX and not craftable.

nar the Ah was well and truely manopalised way before the new rare ex gear came along.

the Ah has always been a bit broken to be honest.
By Unmei 2010-11-29 10:45:10
Link | Quote | Reply

The thing is that ff11's AH vs ff14 market ward system is that 14 players use all 3 nations wards. In 11 the WhiteGate/Juno AH is what is used the most and the 3 nations AH are essentially used for low lv stuff from like lv 1-15 then its all Juno/WG for the lvs above 15 which allows price fixing. Now in 14 its much harder because there is no centralized ward essentially. You can go to LL and find the same stuff as Ulda selling for different prices which allows better deals and keeps the market fair to an extent. People aren't going to travel to all 3 nations and buy up all the same stuff then resell it at an outrageously higher price like they do in 11. This is also why I think they are only allowing you to use 1 retainer and although its a headache it actually works. You have to ask yourself do you want a *** economy that easy to to get stuff at inflated prices or a Fairer economy that is slightly more tedious to find stuff.
 Fenrir.Sasukeuchiha
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sasukeuchiha 2010-11-29 11:18:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Unmei said:
The thing is that ff11's AH vs ff14 market ward system is that 14 players use all 3 nations wards. In 11 the WhiteGate/Juno AH is what is used the most and the 3 nations AH are essentially used for low lv stuff from like lv 1-15 then its all Juno/WG for the lvs above 15 which allows price fixing. Now in 14 its much harder because there is no centralized ward essentially. You can go to LL and find the same stuff as Ulda selling for different prices which allows better deals and keeps the market fair to an extent. People aren't going to travel to all 3 nations and buy up all the same stuff then resell it at an outrageously higher price like they do in 11. This is also why I think they are only allowing you to use 1 retainer and although its a headache it actually works. You have to ask yourself do you want a *** economy that easy to to get stuff at inflated prices or a Fairer economy that is slightly more tedious to find stuff.

I think most people rather get it sooner then later.
 Bismarck.Patrik
Server: Bismarck
user: Patrik
By Bismarck.Patrik 2010-11-29 11:36:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Purplenv said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:

Ok yeah you have to a FFXI account that's not in trial period too.
this only cuts the cost of your XI account by $7 XD technically XIV will be charged at its full monthly fee
By Unmei 2010-11-29 12:08:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sasukeuchiha said:
Unmei said:

I think most people rather get it sooner then later.

Well that mentality also breeds RMT because with inflated prices it takes longer to obtain the gil(also equaling more of a time sync taking away from more enjoyable aspects of the game) for said items. Where as the "sooner than later" will go RMT routes for the gil to obtain these expensive items so they can get back to other stuff. Ex. "Dam they want 2M for this sword, Its going to take me like 2 months to get this gil screw that I'm going to buy some gil" vs "Oh they want 500k for that sword I can make that by the end of the week *** RMT".
 Carbuncle.Ronson
By Carbuncle.Ronson 2010-11-29 14:14:25
Link | Quote | Reply

wes0001 said:
your example can be explained by supply and demand as well.
Quote:
Here's an example for you.. Tav tacos, 18~ stacks being sold a day, consistently for 29k, with an average of 4-5 stacks up at a time.
Okay, i'm assuming for this you are implying that supply and demand until now have been constant.
Quote:
It's doing just fine, prices are stable, supply is fine. Then, along comes another person who hadn't been selling them, and puts them up for 20k a stack, they sell at the normal 20k for awhile, until someone comes and bids lower then the going price and discovers someone has put them up for cheaper then the normal price. This continues until he's the only one selling them and for 20k a stack..
A new entrant has come in for this case, therefore supply has increased. Prices are expected to fall as demand is constant. In addition to that, for whatever reason he is able to sell the identical product for less. Im assuming he is rational and is still selling the product for a profit. For a single person to be able to drive the prices below 20k, he would need to be able to produce enough to be able to single handedly satisfy the server demand, leaving poor Tav tacos stuff unsold However for market prices to be able to be declining constantly, the said new entrant would need to consistently supply items at that price or lower. A consistent supply is needed as if the new entrant only sells a few items, prices will not be affected much as his undercut items would quickly be bought out.
Quote:
Guess what happens next? EVERYONE starts dumping them off and before you know it they're down to 10-12k a stack..
Obviously if there still is profit to be made, everyone else, including Taco tavi will need to adjust prices or stop selling the item altogether and pursue something else Prices will continue to fall until people are no longer willing to sell their product at that price, leaving a few who is able to sustain a margin left in the market. So what happens after? With people leaving the market, supply decreases. Assuming demand constant, prices will rise again. If prices do not change, the demand must have. If not, the same cycle will repeat itself over and over again. The person who undercut prices to 20k deserves to have his items sold first. To be able to produce so many items and are still able to sustain a profit from it if he other sellers are not able to means that is is able to find cheaper mats then they are. Therefore the old players would need to find a cheaper way to make the same item, or risk losing money. Businesses today are run similarly. Its true that crafters would earn less per item in an AH system, but remember that you will be able to buy items at the same reduced rate as well, negating the loss of profits. To say that demand and supply does not affect AH IN FF11 specifically would mean that people who play FF11 are irrational people, which i fail to believe. ALL auction houses are the same, regardless of game. My advice to Taco tavi? either dump your items at a loss and explore other items, or wait till prices improve again.

Tav taco isnt a person...
just saying
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-11-30 19:20:19
Link | Quote | Reply

SquareEnix stock is down about 20% since FF14's release. For a company with (at last report) a 1.8 trillion yen market cap, this would equate to a loss in company value of approximately US $4 billion.

They can probably make it back if it turns into a good product, but that's a tremendous amount of money, especially given that the company has lost almost 60% of its net worth in the past three years.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-11-30 19:35:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
SquareEnix stock is down about 20% since FF14's release. For a company with (at last report) a 1.8 trillion yen market cap, this would equate to a loss in company value of approximately US $4 billion.

They can probably make it back if it turns into a good product, but that's a tremendous amount of money, especially given that the company has lost almost 60% of its net worth in the past three years.
Damn that's a lot.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2010-12-01 09:36:34
Link | Quote | Reply

What's that I see on the horizon? Is it Limsa Lominsa? No. It's downsizing.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2010-12-01 09:45:36
Link | Quote | Reply

And, mark my words, if they implement micro-transactions, the game will capsize overnight. Mass exodus of players, no turning back, probably refuse to buy future things from SE in protest, etc. Would be a worse business decision than rushing FFXIV out of the door in the first place.
[+]
 Ramuh.Kailana
Server: Ramuh
user: Kailana
By Ramuh.Kailana 2010-12-01 09:50:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

FF11 had the same problem at US launch, the game was unfinished and it turned a lot of players off with things like the ps2 hard drive requirement. To summarize, they made mistakes. They never got that huge playerbase at launch back.

I won't lie, I don't know what they'd have to do to save FF14, beyond making it free, and then we know the maintenance would suffer.

Makes me suspicious of why they put the 14 release on ps3 off till march...it's like they expected this. :/
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [402 days between previous and next post]
 Gilgamesh.Thedreamer
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Thedreamer 2012-01-07 18:29:53
Link | Quote | Reply

"A delayed game will maybe be good one day, a bad game will always be bad."

Shigeru Miyamoto.
By Jadi 2012-01-07 22:21:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Thedreamer said: »

Shigeru Miyamoto.

Necro bump from hell.. I remember this thread back when we were all worried. lol

I don't know if FFXIV is going to be a successful game yet, but it is a good game.
[+]
By Robbie 2012-01-09 06:22:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Shigeru Miyamoto.

U mad bro?
By Exekutor 2012-01-09 07:00:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Shigeru Miyamoto.

I dont even think that this statement is right.

Look how terribly FFXI started years ago. It wasnt even a worldwide release and didnt become a good game until the first 2 expansions and the worldwide release appeared. Now FFXI is what you can call a successful game in my understanding.

Now the thought-terminating cliché:

Starcraft was just horrible when it was released 1998. The balance was crap as ***and it wasnt a game u really wanted to use for e-sports. No one can ignore that Starcraft has become one of the best and most successful games of all time. But not before the expansion and several patches arrived.

So Shigeru Miyamoto exaggerates.
 Ragnarok.Evandis
Server: Ragnarok
user: Evandis
By Ragnarok.Evandis 2012-01-09 08:10:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Date of last time this thread was posted actively in: 2010-12-01

Date Thedreamer decided he needed to post his response in: 2012-01-07
By MalPal 2012-01-09 18:04:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Since it said earlier, it cost the company 4 billion and they are still drilling away at making this game something fantastic, it totally will be! :p
[+]
By Jadi 2012-01-09 19:29:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Exekutor said: »

Shigeru Miyamoto.

I dont even think that this statement is right.

Look how terribly FFXI started years ago. It wasnt even a worldwide release and didnt become a good game until the first 2 expansions and the worldwide release appeared. Now FFXI is what you can call a successful game in my understanding.

Now the thought-terminating cliché:

Starcraft was just horrible when it was released 1998. The balance was crap as ***and it wasnt a game u really wanted to use for e-sports. No one can ignore that Starcraft has become one of the best and most successful games of all time. But not before the expansion and several patches arrived.

So Shigeru Miyamoto exaggerates.

FFXI *was* a successful game .. lets say around 2005-2009 it was pretty good. I don't think you could call it successful anymore with 90% of it's content out of date and it's continuous bleed of players. SE walked themselves into a corner with it and I doubt it will ever recover.

The statement by Thedreamer is just junk.. it's posted from ignorance of what FFXIV has become in the past year (a pretty kick *** MMO based on the spirit of FFXI) or to troll and poke at us.

Yoshi-P may yet pull off the impossible with FFXIV.. We'll know in a few months when the PS3 version is launched.
 Ragnarok.Evandis
By Ragnarok.Evandis 2012-01-10 08:32:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Ever notice how only FFXIV players believe FFXIV is a good MMO?
[+]
 Leviathan.Rihoko
By Leviathan.Rihoko 2012-01-10 08:44:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I still enjoy FFXI very much and still have tons to do in game. I feel no need to start FFXIV esp with its current state. Visual and interface upgrade for FFXI was what SE had to do instead of producing FFXIV.
[+]
 Fenrir.Terminus
Server: Fenrir
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2012-01-10 08:44:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Evandis said: »
Ever notice how only FFXIV players believe FFXIV is a good MMO?

So you're saying that people who play it, enjoy it... and people that don't enjoy it, don't play it? I am so confused.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Evandis
By Ragnarok.Evandis 2012-01-10 08:50:33
Link | Quote | Reply

What is so confusing?

The critics hate it.

Most people who have played it hate it and quit.

Now that it isn't free to play, it is bleeding members faster than FFXI (which based on how many people have returned in the last month, to my linkshell alone, makes me wonder if FFXI is actually bleeding anything).

The point is we have a lot of faux-economists making a lot of dumb assumptions and presenting them as fact.

FFXIV is not going to recover, this reboot to version 2.0 and a long past due PS3 release are not going to magically attract 500,000+ people back to the game or to start anew. I won't even try it, simply for the fact that, because I chose to not upgrade my utilitarian PC and to pre-order on PS3, other people have 2 years head start on me. That's me personally, but I'd wager there are a lot more people who feel that way too.
 Carbuncle.Meenners
user: Meenners
By Carbuncle.Meenners 2012-01-10 09:07:34
Link | Quote | Reply

XIV isn't that horrible. (Has horrible things right now, yes) But in my opinion, not good enough to pay a monthly fee.

I stopped the billing services for XIV and returned to XI. There is something (charm, replay value, overall fun) about XI that keeps me and many other people coming back after years. This is a characteristic that the current XIV does not have. Hopefully, XIV v.2 will bring this fun factor. I sure hope so. I will give it a try again I am sure... but till then, i'll be a casual gamer on XI.