Blue Mage Gearsets/Advice/Etc.

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » Blue Mage Gearsets/Advice/Etc.
Blue Mage Gearsets/Advice/Etc.
First Page 2
 Hades.Cheyne
Server: Hades
Game: FFXI
user: Cheyne
By Hades.Cheyne 2010-11-09 10:10:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi! I know there have been a few threads on what gear to use for TP/spells but they still haven't really answered my questions, so I was hoping that I could get the help/advice from some of the pro BLU out there.

I love BLU but I've only been putting my gear/effort into gearing halfheartedly, and would like to try and gear it as best as I can.

As for merits I have:
5/5 STR
4/8 Sword
5/5 CA Recast
5/5 Phys. Potency
1/5 Convergence
1/5 Diffusion
5/5 Enchainment
3/5 Assimilation

For the time being I really only have 2 sets of gear for BLU, TP and BLU Magic.

Right now I really don't have a neck piece, and was trying to farm a fortitude torque, but may just buy a chivalrous chain.

As for weapons, I know Hofud is a pretty meh choice for swords and was wondering what swords I should use from Trial of Magians.

For BLU Magic I generally use this set for all my spells.

I know it isn't the best, which is why I'm open to all suggestions.

I'm also working on Mavi legs, and have 7/8 seals to replace Homam.

I know different spells require different spell sets, but I'm just not sure what gear would optimize their use.

The main spells I would need a gear set for are:

Quad. Continumm
Goblin Rush
Disseverment
Hysteric Barrage
Plenilune Embrace

But any other gear sets for spells like Whirl or Rage, Vanity Dive etc, are more then welcome.

Again, I appreciate the help for all of this.

[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-11-09 10:21:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Tiercel Necklace if you can find one.

Get two STR swords from Magian. After that, can make a DEX sword for occasions when you don't want to use food or have low acc.

I'd swap your enchainment and assimilation merits, but that's just my choice. I'm sure you get sexy numbers when using Chain Affinity.

Brutal Earring is going to be useless for casting spells in. It won't proc a double attack. Anything would be better than it, honestly. +1 STR, +3 ACC, hell, anything.

Below is my set for cure spells. Now that Jet Seraweels are so cheap, I'll probably end up buying those to rep the Mahatma Slops. Stack MND galore and try not to have any -VIT. If you can place a lot more VIT in a spot than you can MND, than do so.

Obvious improvements are Jet Seraweels, Morrigan's Pigaches, 2 +3 MND earrings, your Maat's cap, and a MND +5 back.
 Ragnarok.Bladestruck
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Bladestruck 2010-11-09 10:28:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly dude, you have a pretty damn good set up as it is. I would recommend a Cuchulain's Mantle. The AF3+2 is Where its gonna be at in the future but until you get that I'd say your pretty good. One thing that I do is Macro in as much INT gear as possible for Head Butt due to INT being the deciding factor for the "Stun" effect. Only other thing I would say is to get rid of 2 merits in Enchainment and cap out Assimilation instead. I'm preaching to myself here too, but work on you sword trials lol, God I hate Manticores!
[+]
 Fenrir.Curty
Server: Fenrir
user: Curty
By Fenrir.Curty 2010-11-09 10:30:36
Link | Quote | Reply

(Shamshir+1= 2X STR swords)

That is the current set I am shooting for quad continuum. The main piece that I am not super confident about is the head, especially if you have maats cap that may be a better option when not using Chain Affinity.

Your tp set looks fine for now, can obviously shoot for a better belt, head, and legs. Also, I prefer to just full time cuch's mantle althought if your acc is capped via sushi, I could see cerb+1 doing fine. I also don't know how serious yo uare about sam, but if you are not it would definitly be worth switching bushi out for suppo.

You can use the same gear set for disservment and goblin rush as they are both STR/DEX modded spells. Honestly the only thing I would change from my above item set is enkidu mittens in for alky's and Warwolf Belt in for Bobcat.

I don't know why you be using hysteric barrage nowadays except for skeletons, but you honestly should be fine using a set similar to disservment/goblin rush. You could incorporate more DEX in the earrings/rings but the gains will probably not be too noticeable.

For Cure spells its best to use cure potency and then stack MND.

My main advice though if you are looking to really up phys spell damage is focus on getting 2 STR magian swords and Mavi Legs+2 if possible.
[+]
 Fenrir.Curty
user: Curty
By Fenrir.Curty 2010-11-09 10:33:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Also just so you don't think you are alone, I have th eexact some blue mage specific merits as you haha.
[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-11-09 10:37:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Should lug around the full Teal set. 1. It's nice for int/mnd nukes that we have. 2. It's great for that extra 10% Fast Cast. I'd macro it in before ichi to help it complete faster, then slap on all the haste you can wear when it completes. Good for throwing it on when casting some of your other spells that take a while too(Diamondhide, Metallic Body, Zephyr Mantle, etc).
 Caitsith.Katas
user: Katas
By Caitsith.Katas 2010-11-09 11:27:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Cheyne jump on my vent and the boys can give you a hand, come on woman you know this.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-11-09 11:42:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Blue Mage doesn't really get any good options for Cure Potency. The only 2 full-time things are Serpentes Set(Cure Potency +5% vs. 16MND with Morrigan's/Devotees+1) and Light/Apollo's Staff(you won't always want to switch out your weapon when casting cure).

As far as healing is concerned:
1MND = +2HP cured
1VIT = +1HP cured
I don't know about Plen-Embrace, but Magic Fruit would often gain more from the MND bonus than the Cure Potency. With Plen, you may see more from the Cure Potency.
~500 HP cure with Serpentes adds 25 more HP for a 525 HP cure.
~500 HP cure with +16MND adds 32 more HP for a 532 HP cure.
~500 HP cure with +12MND adds 24 more HP for a 524 HP cure.(my set difference, I don't have Morrigan's pigaches)

640 HP is the converging point, so if you can cure 640 HP without Hands/Feet, then use Serpentes instead of Morrigan's and Devotee's +1.

Serpentes is an awesome idle set, so it's probably worth gunning for eventually.
By Maahes 2010-11-11 03:56:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't mean to hijack the thread but while you guys have your thinking caps on i'd also like some advice, and maybe it will help out the whole consept of gear.

Body has atk+10/acc+10

This is kind of what i'm in full time, don't look at me like that !, i've solo'd blu for along long time but now it looks like i'm getting up close and personal with some nm's and my damage output just doesn't seem to give the punch i would like, or from the sounds of it what is expected.

i have a few extra str items i can swap in, nifty mantle etc. But i'm wondering how far off i am, and what i should expect as a taru

Other day we did Brooder, Piasa, Nahn. My average eyeball damage is around 500-700 for things like Goblin Rush and Quad Continuum. 500 is standard. 700 when using CA / Efflux. This is using Sole Sushi and Sellsword Atma.

So Lay it on me experianced Blu's !
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-11-11 04:33:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Maahes said:
i'm wondering how far off i am
You're not swapping gear... That's pretty far off. Start gearswapping, and when you come back with something remotely functional we can look at your gear again.
[+]
By Maahes 2010-11-11 04:37:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I main stream mage jobs, i know about gear swaps. What i am asking is what kind of swaps and build to put together for a blu job, Helpful as your comment wasn't it makes me glad i asked. Thank you
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-11-11 05:09:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I was just about to post a thread like this, so I'm gonna shoot my question here!
It's basicly the same as Cheyne, but I'm currently levling this job and I like to have stuff ready:P

These are my gearsets, any comments/tips/improvements are welcome!

I'll rather not solo ZNMs for enkidu gear, as its probably useless soon :P
And I might go solo some limbus for af+1 items to +1 the body.

And one question, for spells like sleeps, does blue magic skill+ gear help more than int/mnd?

Any more itemsets I need than the ones I've allready made?

Sorry for long post and ty <_>
Edit: Forgot the spoiler function, not so long anyways!
 Fenrir.Havster
user: Havster
By Fenrir.Havster 2010-11-11 05:13:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Maas youve actually alreay got your answer, the above posts regarding the OPs gear actually answers yours too.

Emulate the advice being given to OP.
[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-11-11 11:33:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kvazz said:
I was just about to post a thread like this, so I'm gonna shoot my question here! It's basicly the same as Cheyne, but I'm currently levling this job and I like to have stuff ready:P These are my gearsets, any comments/tips/improvements are welcome!
I'll rather not solo ZNMs for enkidu gear, as its probably useless soon :P And I might go solo some limbus for af+1 items to +1 the body. And one question, for spells like sleeps, does blue magic skill+ gear help more than int/mnd? Any more itemsets I need than the ones I've allready made? Sorry for long post and ty <_> Edit: Forgot the spoiler function, not so long anyways!

Overall, looks like you know where to go with your sets.

Cure set is good. Can use for Stoneskin too.

Idle set is good.

Sanguine Blade is very nice.

Physical spells looks good too, and you can probably stick with that for nearly all of your physical spells.

TP Gear is good, you should try and snag a Tiercel Necklace if they're ever available though. Don't TP in that tathlum though, should use Tiphia Sting or Smart Grenade. If you're going to use Homam body and still eat sushi, you're probably in high acc and could switch to Forager's Mantle.

WS Gear I'm guessing is for Vorpal Blade. If you don't want to lose the dex from Alky's try RSE2 hands. Chiv-Chain for neck. Expiacion needs more int(can use Spiral Ring for that) and Savage Blade could use MND(Aqua Ring).

For sleeps and constant effect enfeebles(like Cimicine Discharge), you'll want to slap on that macc as much as you can. AF1 body offers a lot of macc. There's also: AF2 hat, Omega Ring, Balrahn's Ring, Mavi Tathlum, AF3+ legs, Hecate's Cape, Morrigan's Cuffs, and various other macc gear.

You could use your Cure item set for Filamented Hold, but it wouldn't be bad to make a hybrid MND/Macc set for this.

I'd make a Fast Cast item set with full teal for casting long spells, and a high haste item set(could just be your TP set) for utsu completion.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-11-11 12:46:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Maahes said:
I main stream mage jobs, i know about gear swaps. What i am asking is what kind of swaps and build to put together for a blu job, Helpful as your comment wasn't it makes me glad i asked. Thank you
People have builds posted on their profiles, there are builds posted in this very thread, and there are plenty of threads with various builds posted. Coming in here with one build and asking "wat do?" makes you look lazy. Do some research and put some builds together based on the situations you find yourself in yourself in first, we're not here to do all the work for you.

Cerberus.Kvazz said:
I was just about to post a thread like this, so I'm gonna shoot my question here!
It's basicly the same as Cheyne, but I'm currently levling this job and I like to have stuff ready:P

These are my gearsets, any comments/tips/improvements are welcome!

I'll rather not solo ZNMs for enkidu gear, as its probably useless soon :P
And I might go solo some limbus for af+1 items to +1 the body.

And one question, for spells like sleeps, does blue magic skill+ gear help more than int/mnd?

Any more itemsets I need than the ones I've allready made?

Sorry for long post and ty <_>
Edit: Forgot the spoiler function, not so long anyways!
Physical: multihit spell builds are pretty one size fits all for the most part. A little extra AGI for Benthic Typhoon or VIT for QC is about the only difference you'd see.

WS: I'd use Alkys. Outside Abyssea we struggle to get a high critrate and inside we're probably capping dDEX anyway.

A Head Butt build combining skill and haste or additional macc as needed couldn't hurt. I go full macc for my sleeps, it will be at least as effective (generally moreso) as stacking stats.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-11-11 12:56:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd go all out agi on Typhoon considering it's what 60%? Except of course when you can get alot more str than agi in that slot and af3 bonuses
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-11-11 12:58:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks, great reponses! :D
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-11-11 16:31:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
I'd go all out agi on Typhoon considering it's what 60%? Except of course when you can get alot more str than agi in that slot and af3 bonuses
If you're making a full build for it sure, but that's pretty hard on one's inventory.
[+]
 Cerberus.Nexxus
user: Orions
By Cerberus.Nexxus 2010-11-11 17:04:40
Link | Quote | Reply

As for Typhoon, Is Denali body (AGI+10) a good option instead of AFv1+1 ?
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-11-11 19:10:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Only under Chain Affinity.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-11-11 19:50:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Nexxus said:
As for Typhoon, Is Denali body (AGI+10) a good option instead of AFv1+1 ?
Loki's kaftan!!!

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
If you're making a full build for it sure, but that's pretty hard on one's inventory.
Well yeah but look at the agi options blu gets lol. Of decent stuff it's less strenous on invent than making a magical build lets say.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2010-11-11 19:53:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's what I use.

TP

Vorpal Blade

Sanguine Blade

*Uggalepih Pendant swaps in if I'm under 51% MP.

Multihit Spells

*Mavi Kavuk +1 if Chain Affinity is active.

STR

*Mavi Kavuk +1 if Chain Affinity is active.

MND

*I use this as a multipurpose set for Mind Blast, Magic Hammer, Cure spells and MND-based enfeebles to conserve inventory space.

INT

*I use this set for INT-based nukes such as Regurgitation and Firespit.

I've got a lot of upgrading to do myself, but this could still server as a general guideline for what to shoot for. I use a separate set for Benthic Typhoon with a bit of AGI in it, and I cast Vanity Dive in my Multihit set to avoid DEX loss.

Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-11-11 19:56:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Why do you still tp in homam legs if you have af3+1?
 Cerberus.Nexxus
By Cerberus.Nexxus 2010-11-11 20:04:49
Link | Quote | Reply

if i had the loki's kaftan be sure i'd said that instead of denali :p
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2010-11-11 20:10:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Why do you still tp in homam legs if you have af3+1?

I'd prefer not to look like Peter Pan's blue twin until they say "Haste +4%" on them. Not enough of a difference between the two pairs of pants to convince me to change that opinion.
 Cerberus.Nexxus
By Cerberus.Nexxus 2010-11-11 20:11:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Sharpeye mantle cost 10k gils and better than mirage mantle for accuracy WS or else. (yeah to bad :()

Smilodon +1 cost also almost 10k gils for multihit spells.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2010-11-11 20:14:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I have that, didn't put it in any of my sets when I procured it though.
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
Server: Unicorn
user: Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2010-11-11 20:15:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, shadow gorget should have no effect on Sanguine Blade.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2010-11-11 20:16:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I like to assume that it effects accuracy. Can't be assed to inventory-1 with an INT+4 necklace right now.

Edit: Yes I'm fully aware it doesn't.
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
Server: Unicorn
user: Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2010-11-11 20:17:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Gorgets affect ws's based on skillchain properties, sanguine blade has no skillchain properties, therefore it does absolutely nothing.

Edit: Better off throwing your promise badge or kubira in there.
First Page 2