Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » Blue's Best Paralyze Spell
Blue's Best Paralyze Spell
 Fenrir.Curty
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Curty
By Fenrir.Curty 2010-11-07 19:04:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with which one of our paralyze spells seems to be the most potent. Been recently trying to solo some NMs with movement speed (so no kiting), and a decent paralyze I feel could go a long way.
 Shiva.Khimaira
Server: Shiva
user: Sindri
By Shiva.Khimaira 2010-11-07 19:32:57
Link | Quote | Reply

We have more than Sub-zero Smash?
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
Server: Unicorn
user: Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2010-11-07 19:34:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Mind Blast
 Ramuh.Laffter
Server: Ramuh
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2010-11-07 19:39:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Frost Breath procs pretty well too.
 Sylph.Kwate
Server: Sylph
user: kwate
By Sylph.Kwate 2010-11-07 21:10:18
Link | Quote | Reply

In my experience Mind Blast is the most potent, but doesn't last very long (20, 30sec max). Reactor Cool paralyze consistently and often upon mob hitting you. I haven't had too much luck with Subzero smash at all. But just test them out and decide for yourself. MND and MACC plays a factor in how potent your paralyze will be.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-11-07 21:58:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Kwate said:
In my experience Mind Blast is the most potent, but doesn't last very long (20, 30sec max). Reactor Cool paralyze consistently and often upon mob hitting you. I haven't had too much luck with Subzero smash at all. But just test them out and decide for yourself. MND and MACC plays a factor in how potent your paralyze will be.
Macc doesn't affect potency, ever. iirc MND doesn't affect Sub-Zero Smash para potency, not sure on the others.
 Sylph.Kwate
Server: Sylph
user: kwate
By Sylph.Kwate 2010-11-07 23:27:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:

Macc doesn't affect potency, ever. iirc MND doesn't affect Sub-Zero Smash para potency, not sure on the others.

Gotcha, so I assume MACC affects additional effects, meaning % of it landing. As far as MND affecting potency of Sub-zero here is the link where I based that info: http://74.53.42.102/blu/SubZeroSmash.html
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-11-07 23:35:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Unsourced. The closest thing I saw to actual testing failed to demonstrate a significant difference, so until somebody gives me data to the contrary I assume it doesn't affect SZS potency.
 Jar
By Jar 2010-11-15 00:16:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Kwate said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:

Gotcha, so I assume MACC affects additional effects, meaning % of it landing. As far as MND affecting potency of Sub-zero here is the link where I based that info: http://74.53.42.102/blu/SubZeroSmash.html

blu enfeebs dont have stat mods like RDM ones do ie~ MNd does not make slow more potent or para more potent but is assumed to boost Macc same with INT for stun spells and bind spells.

i say assumed because testing Macc is crazy hard.
 Unicorn.Ninetales
Server: Unicorn
user: Azulmagia
By Unicorn.Ninetales 2010-11-15 00:20:45
Link | Quote | Reply

For what it's worth, I find the paralysis from Sub-Zero Smash certainly noticeable and it lasts longer than Mind Blast's does, and it's more MP efficient than Frost Breath.
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2010-11-15 00:47:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I generally use sub-zero smash due to fast cast bonus as well.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-11-15 15:40:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, one easy way to test to be sure is: Filamented Hold.

Right now, it's been said that MND boosts the potency of Filamented Hold to reach a 20% slow effect and all MACC does is helps it land unresisted. Help to disprove that and you can make a decent step to understanding BLU spells.