Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » Duoing Abyssea Exp
Duoing Abyssea Exp
 Fenrir.Curty
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Curty
By Fenrir.Curty 2010-11-01 12:28:44
Link | Quote | Reply

So I did a little experiment yesterday in Abyssea-Mis. A rdm friend (Bubblebath) of mine and I entered with about 60 minutes, and ended up leaving with capped exp/merits, 120+ time remaining, a few af3 feet, and having done quite a few NMs all within three hours or so.

First, we capped azure and pearl lights on ephermal murexs, this took about 30 minutes or so. For those who do not know, ephermal murexs are rumored to give around 10 lights or so for each kill. That is, getting an azure light on 1 ephermal murex = getting an azure light on 10 normal mobs. (I have also heard from some that ephermal amoebans work in the same way, and from others that they actually reset lights, either way I avoided them, and if anyone has any input... feel free to enlighten me)

After having capped pearl and azure we headed to the penguins near conflux 00. I put on my decent physical reduction build (-40%), used a tavnasia taco, and rdm tossed me a protect and phalanx II. With this, penguins attacks would rarely break out of the single digits. This allowed me to gather all the penguins up, as they link by sound, and begin whirl>frypan>benthic typhoon spam until all the birdies were toasted.

Not only was this decently fun, but the number of chests we were getting was just awesome. Each cycle we were getting anywhere from 1-5 time extensions, and each cycle only took about 10 minutes. After awhile, our exp was capped and time was comfortably above 200 or so, so we quickly capped amber on emphermal murexs and then came back doing the same thing on penguins and ended up with some key items, af3 feet, and some other decent junk. Afterwards, we did some NMs for seals until we were more or less at 120 minutes.

Just thought I'd share this real quick as a recomendation to anyone that has a good amount of time, and wants to try something a bit different in abyssea than the classic abyssea merit parties. Obviously you can add jobs such as drg war blm or any other jobs that can provide some decent AoE damage to speed up kills, as well as any healers to help keep people alive. Summoner is also an option as alexander can take the mobs attacks down to 0 for a decent period of time, and its rare to not see at least one 2 hour restore each cycle. Happy hunting~
[+]
 Fenrir.Havster
user: Havster
By Fenrir.Havster 2010-11-01 13:54:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Nice post, any chance of posting your -Phsy set?

I like this idea a lot, have a nice group of BLU friends, thinking 2-3 BLUs and a RDM for a whole lotta fun ^^
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Ianpyst
Server: Gilgamesh
user: ianpyst
By Gilgamesh.Ianpyst 2010-11-01 14:17:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the info. :D

+1
[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-11-01 14:28:16
Link | Quote | Reply

What atma(s) did you use?
[+]
By Jarvikk 2010-11-01 14:39:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Some friends and i have been doing this for several months now. usually as mnk whm rdm. no b/s to put up with from alliance and not much competition with relic/items ;p
[+]
 Sylph.Krsone
Server: Sylph
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2010-11-01 15:33:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Mahayaya said:

Minkin for the win.
 Hades.Stefanos
Server: Hades
user: Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2010-11-01 15:48:59
Link | Quote | Reply

How many merits did your RDM have in Phalanx II? If it isn't much, I'm thinking Phalanx I will do just fine.
 Asura.Ericka
Server: Asura
user: foxxie
By Asura.Ericka 2010-11-01 16:04:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Curty said:

First, we capped azure and pearl lights on ephermal murexs, this took about 30 minutes or so. For those who do not know, ephermal murexs are rumored to give around 10 lights or so for each kill. That is, getting an azure light on 1 ephermal murex = getting an azure light on 10 normal mobs. (I have also heard from some that ephermal amoebans work in the same way, and from others that they actually reset lights, either way I avoided them, and if anyone has any input... feel free to enlighten me)

Can anyone confirm this about the ephermal amoebans?

also very useful info ^^ ty~
 Bismarck.Keityan
Server: Bismarck
user: Keichan
By Bismarck.Keityan 2010-11-01 16:05:51
Link | Quote | Reply

At first, I thought you were a WAR, but then realized you were a BLU!

That is not too bad of a plan. What is the approximate DEF did you have, I want to see if this is feasible with a WAR + RDM instead.

Asura.Ericka said:

Can anyone confirm this about the ephermal amoebans?

also very useful info ^^ ty~

Yep, it works.
 Jar
By Jar 2010-11-01 16:36:27
Link | Quote | Reply

this is old news =/
By olyard 2010-11-01 16:38:06
Link | Quote | Reply

BLU ftw :)
[+]
 Bismarck.Helel
Server: Bismarck
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2010-11-01 17:59:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been doing this with my GF for weeks, I just assumed it was common knowledge. Any BLU can solo TE easily in any zone you wish. In the old zones the clionids are decent, in the newer zones the murex are very good. Penguins are pretty crappy to xp off of to be honest. You're better off just destroying murex one after the other. With Eve + Minikin it takes about 10 seconds to kill a murex (QC > GR > Dis and it's dead or near dead). We have 330 minutes at the moment I'm writing this after only 2 hours of being in Abyssea. It's very easy. Also ephemeral murex's do NOT give increased pearl so you're just wasting your time with them (azure only).
 Fenrir.Curty
By Fenrir.Curty 2010-11-01 20:43:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Havster said:
Nice post, any chance of posting your -Phsy set? I like this idea a lot, have a nice group of BLU friends, thinking 2-3 BLUs and a RDM for a whole lotta fun ^^
VIT Magian Sword 9
Genbu's Shield 10
Denali Gloves 2
ASA Pants 4
Jelly Ring 5
Dark Ring (-4% phy dmg augment) 4
Umbra Cape 6 (12 during night)

So total 40% (46% at night) physical reduction.

Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
Atma of Voracious Violet (Regain and STR)
Atma of Ambition (Refresh and Movement)

Hades.Stefanos said:
How many merits did your RDM have in Phalanx II? If it isn't much, I'm thinking Phalanx I will do just fine.

Actually found out today she only has one in it haha... yelling at her now about it :-(
 Fenrir.Curty
By Fenrir.Curty 2010-11-01 20:45:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Helel said:
Also ephemeral murex's do NOT give increased pearl so you're just wasting your time with them (azure only).

Do you know if ephermal amoeban's give increased anything? Also does amber work on either?
 Siren.Itachi
Server: Siren
By Siren.Itachi 2010-11-01 20:46:01
Link | Quote | Reply

What would be proper mobs in Vunkerl Inlet to low man farm? I'm assuming murex.
 Fenrir.Snick
user: Snick
By Fenrir.Snick 2010-11-01 20:50:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Itachi said:
Puks and crawlers are pretty squishy~
 Fenrir.Curty
By Fenrir.Curty 2010-11-01 21:04:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Also just because I didn't emphasize this enough, as I have been getting a lot of tells in game. The reason we did choose penguins is because mnk-type mobs hit for low damage, I'm sure many other mob types could work with a better phys damage reduction set and 5/5 phalanx II.
By Cleverness 2010-11-01 21:35:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Itachi said:

When I went feet farming it was as BLU BLU BRD and we did Murex. With 2 BLU's stunning -ga's wasn't a problem until some parties rolled in and everything started conning VT-IT, then we had a few Head Butt resists. Still, got several feet in a span of 3-4 hours, I'm already done with that zone feet wise personally(need to go back to get some for the other 2 though).

Murex also had the extra benefit of giving us Spicules, which I could then turn in and get everything but BLU leg seals. My 57BRD will prolly enjoy his almost finished pants though.
 Cerberus.Sephrin
Server: Cerberus
user: xSephrinx
By Cerberus.Sephrin 2010-11-01 22:05:37
Link | Quote | Reply

You guys should really just wait until the next update. SE stated that they will be increasing the drop rate on the armor pieces from gold chests. Spend that time killing NMs and/or doing quests for the seals instead. If you happen to finish the seals then by all means try for the armor. I bet after they "tweak" that drop rate, the aromr will be dropping like mad.