How Many Sets Of Gear?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » How many sets of gear?
How many sets of gear?
 Caitsith.Jessie
Server: Caitsith
Game: FFXI
user: Jessie
By Caitsith.Jessie 2010-10-17 14:50:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I understand how much of a versatile powerhouse Blue Mage is, and I also understand that to keep with its versatility you need a very wide selection of equipment on hand for sets for every situation.

I'm a casual player, and I'm still virtually brand-new to the whole "endgame BLU" business. To be honest, I only have three sets of equipment right now: TP'ing, "Physical" Blue Magic, and "Magical" Blue Magic (as well as one set for idling and one for resting MP).

But I also know that those could very easily all be split up. I was wondering what's kind of the "norm" for the average endgame Blue Mage in terms of sets? How far should I split them? Am I pretty much fine with 3 base sets or do I need to go as far as to have one set for every individual spell I use?

Also, what kind of key pieces of equipment should I focus on obtaining and what stats should I focus on boosting for each set?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Khimaira
Server: Shiva
user: Sindri
By Shiva.Khimaira 2010-10-17 15:10:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Generally Physical spell sets aren't very different, but for each spell with different mods, making light switches such as Spiral Ring for Quad. Continuum, and Jupiter's for Vanity Dive (as an example) can really help.

For physical magic, I have a macro titled "Cast 1" in which I have stuff like Mavi Tathlum, and AF +1 Body that doesn't vary with each spell. I also have macros for each individual spell, that not only cast the spell, but macro in gear specific to the spell.

Magical spells I find very little use for in endgame, but as to my knowledge they are all INT/MND, so you could pass with one set (assuming you macro out staves for different elements).

TPing is pretty straightforward.

A few sets you might want to look into is WS, this tends to require somewhat different gear from your Physical casting, Sanguine Blade and Expiacion do for sure, Vorpal Blade requires less switches.

Also, I can't sing the wonders of an HMP set enoguh, there are plenty of cheap (and noticeable) pieces you can get, but it really minimizes downtime noticeably.

[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-10-17 15:30:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Right now since I have rdm and blu I don't bother with nuking sets.

So I have tp.

General spell/ws set (with new spells I'll probably make some slight changes on 1-2 spells on 1-2 slots but as previously stated most spells wont have much difference and I haven't made new sets for spells since updates)

A high str set for the spells that are only str modded or at least not dex modedd and like expiacion/savage though I never use expiacion anymore

Sanguine blade set. Gearing for this makes a huge diff. See other blus hitting like 300-400. On non mage mobs in abyssea without using MAB buffs from spells or magic def down I'm hitting just under 1k without drinks using the 10mab/int and refresh atma and +10 to all stats. Still need more abyssite and atma buffs

Mostly for soloing but I made magic hammer and mp drainkiss sets.

Cure sets.

And mostly for campaign I made a waltz set since I used to blu/dnc alot.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-10-17 16:00:57
Link | Quote | Reply

The norm is having sets for any situation you can reasonably expect to find yourself in as a BLU. If that means nothing but sets like TP, WS, physical, Head Butt, and MND because all you do is light melee work, then that's what you need. If it means you have so many sets that you keep half your gear satcheled at any given time, then so be it. There's no pat answer to your question.
 Bahamut.Aeronis
user: Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2010-10-17 16:11:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
On non mage mobs in abyssea without using MAB buffs from spells or magic def down I'm hitting just under 1k without drinks using the 10 magic attack/int and refresh atma and +10 to all stats.
ftfy :s
 Bahamut.Dasva
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-10-17 16:19:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Aeronis said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
On non mage mobs in abyssea without using MAB buffs from spells or magic def down I'm hitting just under 1k without drinks using the 10 magic attack/int and refresh atma and +10 to all stats.
ftfy :s
Nice try but wiki's wrong it's MAB. I've personally gone out and tested it using several different spells and different gear sets. The difference between 10matt and 10 MAB is huge when your sporting a good 85 already