Forum » FFXI » General » Irrlicht
Irrlicht
 Leviathan.Agentd
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Agentd
By Leviathan.Agentd 2010-10-04 02:53:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, it's a pretty simple topic, but it's a very simple request I have regarding him. Information, tactics, strategies, videos, anything regarding this jerk of an NM in Abyssea La Theine. I attempted to so fight him to gather some information for my own use, but what I read on the wiki didn't account to much of what he did to me. No spells cast, high double attack rate, fast attack rate to begin with, and corpse breath did regularly 500 damage to me. Long story short, I wanna see what I need if I am going to fight him, and I don't have enough information to do this. Before you link me to wiki, it's pretty bland there too. Anything will be helpful, and if any leviathian players are willing to help me fight him, that'd be even better. I don't want the drops, just the kills. Thanks in advance.
 Bismarck.Nexdeus
Server: Bismarck
user: Greyfin
By Bismarck.Nexdeus 2010-10-04 03:51:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I usually do Pomps for EXP/TE's with the ls there. That NM is actually pretty simple with a MNK/NIN tank, RDM BRD WHM support. DNC helps too with haste samba.

It can be taken out with a alliance of 12 abyssea type set up of melee's without any brd or dnc support, just heals. It's not too tough of a NM though. Good luck!
 Quetzalcoatl.Porcius
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Porcius
By Quetzalcoatl.Porcius 2010-10-04 05:02:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Blue mages are your friend in this fight.
[+]
 Fenrir.Snick
Server: Fenrir
user: Snick
By Fenrir.Snick 2010-10-04 11:29:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Porcius said:
Blue mages are your friend in this fight.
Blue mages are never your friend.

Haven't fought, but MNK/NIN, WHM, BRD can destroy pretty much any Abyssea mob. Can't imagine why it'd be any different.

More importantly, why do you even need to kill it? It's drops are ***and the trials weapons needing 30 kills are meh
 Leviathan.Agentd
By Leviathan.Agentd 2010-10-04 13:07:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Double attack scythe is the only reason I am doing it. I've been looking into double attack builds and I feel like it's a good weapon worth investing my time into. High damage, increased double attack rate, and since that adds on to weapon skills, I can expect better results with it than with an OaT scythe. Besides, I've got my items for the last trial already set, so I'm looking forward to my 114 dmg, 7% double attack rate scythe, along with my Bale Burgeonet +2, brutal earring, pole grip, aesir mantle, anguinus belt, /war, and whatever other pieces of equipment that have double attack I missed.

I know some people are gonna give me crap about the double attack scythe, saying it's poor for overall use, or it's gonna get me killed, etc. I say if I'm not pulling ridiculous amounts of hate, I'm not doing my job correctly. I'm looking forward to using this weapon...I just need to kill this goddamned NM 30 times first.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2010-10-04 13:13:01
Link | Quote | Reply

We kill this regularly for a friends trial with SMN, BLU, MNK, DRG, WHM. Someties we go in without the WHM and I just cure on SMN.
 Leviathan.Agentd
By Leviathan.Agentd 2010-10-04 13:21:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said:
We kill this regularly for a friends trial with SMN, BLU, MNK, DRG, WHM. Someties we go in without the WHM and I just cure on SMN.
You have some experience it seems with this fight, so I have a question. If I were to go in with 2 drg/whm and a pld, and me on drk/thf for some hate dispertion, assuming we're all relatively decent in terms of play skill, do you think I'd see success with this fight?
 Alexander.Gib
Server: Alexander
user: Gib
By Alexander.Gib 2010-10-04 13:50:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I need to kill this for my PUP also... I'm 1/30 so far
 Caitsith.Katas
Server: Caitsith
user: Katas
By Caitsith.Katas 2010-10-04 14:20:56
Link | Quote | Reply

If anyone needs to kill this on Caitsith please send me a tell
 Leviathan.Agentd
By Leviathan.Agentd 2010-10-05 03:10:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Still not getting luck on this NM. It's amazing how little I've seen regarding this NM. No testimonials, no videos, nothing. I wonder what I could pay an LS to kill this thing with me once or twice?
 Asura.Rinkydink
Server: Asura
user: rinkydink
By Asura.Rinkydink 2010-10-05 03:19:19
Link | Quote | Reply

When we do La Theine NM's we usually see and kill Irrlicht quite easily.. hate control can sometimes be a problem. But usually a pld, thf and a mage is enough to hold it and kill it.. we often throw a couple of smn's at it and rng's but that just speeds up the inevitable. his main problem is sleepga and bind but thats all imo
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-10-05 03:30:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I had this nice, detailed explanation typed up about how stacking DA isn't as awesome as you seem to think it is (especially on a job with a 4-hit primary WS) and just how easily OAT (among other options) crushes the DA scythe.

Then I saw /WAR, and in a later post the words "DRK/THF" and "relatively decent in terms of play skill" used in the same sentence.

So, yeah. Not gonna bother, enjoy wasting your time (and somebody else's) killing this trash NM 30 times for a mediocre scythe.

DRK plus the healer of your choice should kill it without any trouble if you both sub ninja and know how to count to three.
[+]
 Leviathan.Agentd
By Leviathan.Agentd 2010-10-05 13:31:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
I had this nice, detailed explanation typed up about how stacking DA isn't as awesome as you seem to think it is (especially on a job with a 4-hit primary WS) and just how easily OAT (among other options) crushes the DA scythe.

Then I saw /WAR, and in a later post the words "DRK/THF" and "relatively decent in terms of play skill" used in the same sentence.

So, yeah. Not gonna bother, enjoy wasting your time (and somebody else's) killing this trash NM 30 times for a mediocre scythe.

DRK plus the healer of your choice should kill it without any trouble if you both sub ninja and know how to count to three.
See, now I'm just getting irritated by stuff like this. I've used the OaT scythe for puk killing, solo, and have had nothing but problems with it. It's slow, it hits weakly, most WS never went over 1k unless it was a double attack proc from my pole grip, and the little *** just constantly threw Wind Shear at me, wasting my goddamn time. Meanwhile, I switched to a dweomer scythe for weakening them after 100 kills of stupidty, and noticed a marked increase at the rate I'd kill the little jerks. I can see maybe, in a full party where you're all hasted, buffed, and 3 other DD are beating the hell out of said mob how a OaT scythe MIGHT get more damage over time out, assuming the mob has a lot of HP, but you don't spend most of the game fighting mobs with 10k+ hp. Even in abyssea parties, how fast do enemies die? Most of the time, you get enough time to fight an enemy for 1 weaponskill from low tp. But you know what, screw it, next abyssea party I'm in, I'll test the OaT scythe again. I mean, I 'll be honest, maybe my mistake is that I'm not accounting for the Oa2-3 scythe, and just the OaT. Three hit may work better, idk, but I'm stuck on the whole double attack proc on weaponskills.

Now before you go throwing math around like some professor and M.I.T., lets take into account that the formulas used for this game are so beyond ridiculous it's hysterical. If you bother throwing at me a whole bunch of equations, I'm gonna laugh at you and tell you honestly now that you're wasting your time. All due respect, I thank you for your advice, and will probably try irrlicht with just a decent whitemage and /sam, because I don't care to use ninja all that much, though should that fail, I will /nin as a last resort.

One last thing, what's wrong with drk/thf for hate management? Trick attack'd guillotines are amazing for giving a tank a boatload of hate, and it's how I used to kill Fe'e with a pld and rdm without any extreme measures.Plus a free crit every minute, who wouldn't like that? And who doesn't like flee?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-10-05 18:00:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Agentd said:
See, now I'm just getting irritated by stuff like this. I've used the OaT scythe for puk killing, solo, and have had nothing but problems with it. It's slow,
lol?

Quote:
it hits weakly,
STR build or haste build for TP?

Quote:
most WS never went over 1k unless it was a double attack proc from my pole grip,
The increased WS frequency of the OAT far and away beats slightly stronger WS.

Quote:
I can see maybe, in a full party where you're all hasted, buffed, and 3 other DD are beating the hell out of said mob how a OaT scythe MIGHT get more damage over time out, assuming the mob has a lot of HP, but you don't spend most of the game fighting mobs with 10k+ hp.
OAT actually has a greater advantage on low HP mobs if anything, since you'll lose less from overkill.

Quote:
I 'll be honest, maybe my mistake is that I'm not accounting for the Oa2-3 scythe, and just the OaT.
No, that's not your mistake.

Quote:
Three hit may work better, idk, but I'm stuck on the whole double attack proc on weaponskills.
DA only procs on the first two hits of a weaponskill. Guillotine has four hits.

Quote:
Now before you go throwing math around like some professor and M.I.T., lets take into account that the formulas used for this game are so beyond ridiculous it's hysterical. If you bother throwing at me a whole bunch of equations, I'm gonna laugh at you and tell you honestly now that you're wasting your time.

Why do you think I didn't post it? You don't get it, you obviously don't want to get it, so I told you you're doing it wrong but still gave you a solution for your scythe because I'm obviously not going to change your mind.

Quote:
All due respect, I thank you for your advice, and will probably try irrlicht with just a decent whitemage and /sam, because I don't care to use ninja all that much, though should that fail, I will /nin as a last resort.
You might manage /SAM, but it will be messy and your healer will hate you. Just one more piece of evidence on my previous point.

Quote:
One last thing, what's wrong with drk/thf for hate management? Trick attack'd guillotines are amazing for giving a tank a boatload of hate, and it's how I used to kill Fe'e with a pld and rdm without any extreme measures.Plus a free crit every minute, who wouldn't like that? And who doesn't like flee?
It's inferior damage and the hate management is unnecessary given how hate caps?

That same RDM should be able to solo Fe'e, don't see how that's relevant.
[+]
 Leviathan.Agentd
By Leviathan.Agentd 2010-10-05 19:17:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I was gonna fight you on your whole post and start some ludicrous war, but obviously you spent the last 7 years playing this game and just are completely bitter when someone doesn't agree with you. So, again, thank you for the input, I'll try it out, hope for success. If I win, awesome, you were helpful, if not, ah well.
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Gias
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-10-05 19:36:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:

Quote:
most WS never went over 1k unless it was a double attack proc from my pole grip,
The increased WS frequency of the OAT far and away beats slightly stronger WS.

Also, shouldn't be using Pole grip with OAT scythe.

Phoenix.Fredjan
Server: Phoenix
user: Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2010-10-05 19:40:59
Link | Quote | Reply

La Theine Pinning spots. Scroll down a bit and you'll see them.
 Lye
By Lye 2010-10-05 20:44:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Can you point me to the test that determined ws DA procs only occur on hits 1 and 2? Last I read this person summed it up nicely as being on the first and ONE OTHER HIT:

Strictly speaking, you can't "prove" that DA procs only on the first and second hits only, but you can be a reasonable person and accept this claim in light of other plausible mechanisms being very unlikely given collected data.

Regarding DA interaction with multi-hit weaponskills:

Given these hypotheses:

(1) DA may proc only on the first and another hit (probably second) of a multi-hit WS, and
(2) DA may proc on any of the hits, subject to the condition that DA procs two times max, and
(3) DA may proc on any of the hits, subject to the condition of 8 hits maximum

You can do a probability exercise to obtain, for each of the above, the probability distribution of the number of hits of any multi-hit weapon skill and then collect some data (TP return) to see which hypotheses are obviously wrong with fairly small sample sizes than just focusing on 7-hit Penta Thrusts (or looking for the non-existent 8-hit).

Actually, I already did this after I came across this thread discussing TP return for Penta Thrust given 95% hit rate and 10% DA. The results (n = 196) were:

3 hits: 3 (.015)
4 hits: 42 (.214)
5 hits: 120 (.612)
6 hits: 30 (.153)
7 hits: 1 (.005)

Hypotheses (2) and (3) are similar, so I compared (1) with (2) for Penta Thrust given 95% hit rate and 10% DA. Here's an illustration of the probability distributions under (1) and (2).

You can see that the probability of a 6-hit return is much higher under (2), and the mystical 7-hit return would be about a 6 in 100 event if (2) were actually true. The above data obviously shows that (2) is really unlikely that DA can proc on any of the hits of Penta Thrust w/ a 2 DA max. You don't really need to use a statistical test to see that.

So, being a practical person, I assert (1) is the reasonable conclusion without collecting a bajillion samples.

@ OP Finish the scythe. None of the DA weapons I've completed have disappointed me in the slightest. Also, read some BG. While you may want to stay away from ffxi math, it does help in your gear choices.

The game is getting easier, there's no need for the tiresome (X is better!!!!! and you're dumb for not trying for it instead!!!!!!)

Fenrir.Leesil
user: jeremy234
By Fenrir.Leesil 2010-10-05 20:59:06
Link | Quote | Reply

BLU/nin and RDM can duo it
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-10-05 21:02:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Strictly speaking, you can't "prove" that DA procs only on the first and second hits only, but you can be a reasonable person and accept this claim in light of other plausible mechanisms being very unlikely given collected data.
Basically this. It's not "proven", but it's the best working model we have at present. Second hit is a convenient and probable choice. If this was a more high-level discussion I would have framed that point in different terms.

Quote:
I was gonna fight you on your whole post and start some ludicrous war, but obviously you spent the last 7 years playing this game and just are completely bitter when someone doesn't agree with you.
Not bitter at all (nor have I been playing 7 years), but a nice attempt at ad hominem. If you want to invest time into playing your job in a less than effective manner that's your prerogative.

Quote:
So, again, thank you for the input, I'll try it out, hope for success. If I win, awesome, you were helpful, if not, ah well.
You're welcome.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-10-05 21:16:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Quote:
Basically this. It's not "proven", but it's the best working model we have at present. Second hit is a convenient and probable choice. If this was a more high-level discussion I would have framed that point in different terms.

Quote:
I was gonna fight you on your whole post and start some ludicrous war, but obviously you spent the last 7 years playing this game and just are completely bitter when someone doesn't agree with you.
Not bitter at all (nor have I been playing 7 years), but a nice attempt at ad hominem. If you want to invest time into playing your job in a less than effective manner that's your prerogative.

Quote:
So, again, thank you for the input, I'll try it out, hope for success. If I win, awesome, you were helpful, if not, ah well.
You're welcome.

stop trolling him, he knows what he's doing
[+]
 Fenrir.Snick
user: Snick
By Fenrir.Snick 2010-10-05 22:51:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Agentd said:
I was gonna fight you on your whole post and start some ludicrous war, but obviously you spent the last 7 years playing this game and just are completely bitter when someone doesn't agree with you. So, again, thank you for the input, I'll try it out, hope for success. If I win, awesome, you were helpful, if not, ah well.
Remember when you were this dumb on PSU? So do I

PS: Nobody on Diadu liked you.