Damage Output Dummy - What Do You Do?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Damage Output Dummy - What do you do?
Damage Output Dummy - What do you do?
 Fenrir.Mahorosama
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
By Fenrir.Mahorosama 2009-02-03 17:58:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I was watching my friend the other day play WoW, we were talking about different things between the game such as the UI addons and respec'ing (sp?) skills. After watching him play a bit more, he started bashing on this wooden figure in the game called a Dummy or something. This Dummy had unlimited life and let him parse out his damage to see how much he was doing and etc. I thought that was one of the neatest things in WoW because we don't exactly have any way to test damage output in a "controlled" environment. By that I mean, no party needed to test damage, just plain ol' you!

So anyways, my question for you guys is what do YOU do for testing your damage?

So far all I do is try to build the same pt every time i merit on birds, that way i can some what gauge the damage on a more controlled environment. Also I would assume some BLMs would use the puddings at 75 to test? Anyways, maybe SE will add a dummy for us to beat the crap out of for testing in the future who knows.... but for now whats your substitute?
 Shiva.Jimmyjazz
Server: Shiva
user: Jimmyjazz
By Shiva.Jimmyjazz 2009-02-03 18:13:28
Link | Quote | Reply

haha, that actually sounds like a cool idea for this game. line up posts of dummies just outside of whitegate or something^^
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-02-03 18:18:17
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

I like the idea, and I doubt it wouldn't be out of reach for SE to implement. If we can set the level, stats and resistances of these dummies we'd have a much easier time finding our ideal personal setup for what we do best.

Otherwise the next best thing is to gather some friends and go after some higher level monsters you wanna test your damage or spells on. Be sure to go after things that can potentially benefit everyone. Such as gil drops or sea organs/tissues etc.
 Lakshmi.Septroth
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Septroth 2009-02-03 19:00:00
Link | Quote | Reply

they would prolly add a diromora type zone that any one could go in and get a training "room" with dummys weak to blunt piercing slashing and the elements ect ect.....
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-03 19:13:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I have one of these actually. Think we call it Jormungand in the trade, not 100% sure on that though. It's a little hard to train with him though, since he gets a little wound up pretty quickly if you pick on him, and lashes out. Little tyke doesn't know his own strength, ohohoh. He'll learn though eh?

(Good idea, but it won't happen. It'd be too convenient, and I hear Square Enix aren't big on convenience.)
 Unicorn.Tavlov
Server: Unicorn
user: Tomas
By Unicorn.Tavlov 2009-02-03 20:09:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Septroth said:
they would prolly add a diromora type zone that any one could go in and get a training "room" with dummys weak to blunt piercing slashing and the elements ect ect.....

Shouldn't be too hard to create something like this. They already do have the Maze, I'm sure they could use that same system to create a training room.
 Ragnarok.Psyence
Server: Ragnarok
user: Psyence
By Ragnarok.Psyence 2009-02-03 21:19:21
Link | Quote | Reply

if the dummy is the innocent tarutaru that teleports to jeuno in al zahbi, I'm in!
 Titan.Prefalin
Server: Titan
user: Prefalin
By Titan.Prefalin 2009-02-03 21:49:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Psyence said:
if the dummy is the innocent tarutaru that teleports to jeuno in al zahbi, I'm in!

i agree :D that little guy has it comming to him !!
Server: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-02-03 23:47:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh man combat dummies would be AWESOME! It would be so nice to test different gear and tactics out without something hitting you back lol
 Diabolos.Daddyx
Server: Diabolos
user: Daddyx
By Diabolos.Daddyx 2009-02-03 23:57:09
Link | Quote | Reply

That would be very cool. An in-game parser that would negate the need for third party programs to do the same. Would be cool if they kept high scores like an old stand-up arcade machine too :D Septroth... your avatar PWNS! Very nicely done!
 Bahamut.Siao
Server: Bahamut
user: Siao
By Bahamut.Siao 2009-02-04 00:47:52
Link | Quote | Reply

What would be awesome, if they would implement it in FFXI, is if you could also get skill ups from the dummies.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Korpg
Server: Asura
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-02-04 01:57:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Whacking on something with no reward? Count me out. Its not like whacking birdies gives you random damage anyway.

Thats what SSs are made for btw. Do some damage, find a way to take a picture(either thru camera or "other" methods) and you have yourself a way to keep track of anything you want to keep track of.

At least when you are whacking on the birds, you get exp/limit and sellable drops for a little gil.

BLMs also have those puddings to burn, and keep an eye on damage outputs also.

One thing I have to say against the dummy aspect (besides the no reward) is that the information you receive would be useless to various events people do. Also to anything with any type of damage modification (ranged attack bonus against birds, magic damage bonus on puddings, physical damage resist against slimes to name a few) this information would be completely worthless.

Thats my 2 cents.
 Cerberus.Havocin
Server: Cerberus
user: Havocin
By Cerberus.Havocin 2009-02-04 02:26:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Umm... the No damage modifiers would be the point of the dummy. . .

you want to know what your ACTUAL damage is not the modified number cause you picked a mob you have good damage against. I don't want to test my damage on skellies cause i get damage bonuses... and i don't watn to test on mobs that have reductions. just a straight DoT number... then you can add in the modifiers yourself if you really want to.

And the knowledge gained is the reward... /clap

but i agree that SE wont' impliment that idea because it's just too convenient for the players. They have a way of messing over anything that helps us out. And if they hate 3rd party programs like parsers... they wouldn't give us one in game.
 Asura.Korpg
Server: Asura
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-02-04 02:43:28
Link | Quote | Reply

So basically, you want to see this:

Korpg uses Steel Cyclone.
The Dummy takes 2000 damage.

Korpg uses Raging Rush.
The Dummy takes 3000 damage.

What uses would that do, besides to tell which weapons is better? You can still find that out easy by doing merit parties. Birdies only have damage mods on RA, not any melee attack.

The knowledge gained against the dummy is useless anyway, because of too many variables and the dummy isn't going to be like Fafnir or Kirin.
 Caitsith.Neonracer
Server: Caitsith
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2009-02-04 03:06:22
Link | Quote | Reply

count me in. Maybe they cud just slightly mod your mannequin and you can do all of this in your moghouse.

Its your room, You do what you want with it.

But.. You have to get your mannequin first tho.
 Shiva.Jimmyjazz
user: Jimmyjazz
By Shiva.Jimmyjazz 2009-02-04 08:29:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg said:

The knowledge gained against the dummy is useless anyway, because of too many variables and the dummy isn't going to be like Fafnir or Kirin.

Unless there would be a way to set a Lv cap for the dummy or adjust defense and AGI/VIT. Hehe sounds like fun.
 Hades.Dizzmal
Server: Hades
user: Dizzmal
By Hades.Dizzmal 2009-02-04 08:39:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg said:

I think the point that people are trying to ask for is like this:

Damage over time(say 30 mins)
Gear setup X = 25,967 total damage
Gear setup X = 10,000 WS damage
Gear setup X = 15,967 Melee damage

then add a new piece to see if you numbers increase or decrease with in that time limit.

You could play with stats like Vit, Eva and damage resistance per mob.

Sure you could lower every thing so you could do out landish numbers, but I think that might only last a few weeks or so.

I really think this would be a good tool for players to use when they are trying to get the most out of their character.
 Cerberus.Saiya
Server: Cerberus
user: Saiya
By Cerberus.Saiya 2009-02-04 08:42:47
Link | Quote | Reply

All has been said, but this would be sweet D=. Be a good way for the big-*** to spend their time p33ning against each and leave some ingame stuff for us XD
 Sylph.Kehl
Server: Sylph
user: Kehl
By Sylph.Kehl 2009-02-04 09:43:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg said:
What uses would that do, besides to tell which weapons is better? You can still find that out easy by doing merit parties. Birdies only have damage mods on RA, not any melee attack.

They are also weak to piercing what if DRG's or SAM with Polearms wanna try out dmg?
 Unicorn.Ixn
user: unknown
By Unicorn.Ixn 2009-02-04 09:43:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Thought that's why they made MMM for.
 Caitsith.Neonracer
Server: Caitsith
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2009-02-04 10:19:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Do you guys want me to make a formal note and send this to SE?

Never hurts to try... and seeing that we all think this is something that could be of good use....

Let me know.. b/c I'm all for it. Maybe if we post our names or something in here.. and ill make a list and send it off..

Post your name, Rank, Server, Homenation ( maybe linkshell)

once i see legitable info.. Ill send this off to SE electronically as an idea..

WOuldn't you guys love it one day all of a sudden you see a work out bag or a Sparring Bag hanging in your Mog house?
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-04 10:27:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Think of it in this logical way. Square Enix wants us to play and discover as much of the hidden "easter eggs" and secrets of this game ourselves. The amount of information they reveal on quests is shockingly vague, to the point where if nobody has done it before, we really wouldn't know what to do.

Adding in something by which we could test out our performance, resists, damage, etc, on a dummy that we can choose the conditions for, choose the circumstances, the setup, would eliminate the need to explore and test out varying job roles or combinations. These combinations and tricks are plentiful, and it's the driving force to learn exactly how the game works, thusly unlocking the ability to "be the best", that drives a lot of testers on.

If Square Enix were to impliment a damage output dummy that was fully customisable for any situation or setup, it would completely remove the discovery of these methods and techniques. That's why they never will. Anything that keeps us paying our fees longer is something they'll put in or keep out.
 Unicorn.Vxsote
user: VxSote
By Unicorn.Vxsote 2009-02-04 10:47:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Fortunately, a large portion of the calculations for determining damage are fairly well understood. Given all the relevant variables, it's possible to calculate damage with a fair amount of precision.

But doing math is nowhere near as much fun (for most people) as attacking something in game. I DO like the idea of a configurable dummy for testing particular situations without having to track down the appropriate mob or risking a beat-down from your "sparring partner".

On occasion, however, we do have new items or spells that need to be tested to determine their properties. When AM2 was released for BLM, that was one such case. For things like that, I prefer to use what I call a "baseline bunny". Being from Sandy, my target of choice is a Wild Rabbit. For the sake of testing, I also use the appropriate elemental debuff to reduce the bunny's attribute of interest to 1 (burn to make the bunny's INT = 1 for nukes, for example).

Baseline bunnies are plentiful and repopulate themselves quickly, and it's prety hard to die to one, so they work pretty well.
 Ramuh.Scizor
Server: Ramuh
user: Scizor
By Ramuh.Scizor 2009-02-04 12:25:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I think this has to be one of the best ideas I've heard in a long time! But just a thought, wouldn't it be awesome if you could use your own mannequin rather than just a faceless dummy? Would get get more people into Garrison's too!

And about contacting SE about this I say go for it!

Scizor