Forum » FFXIV » General » Will it work?
Will it work?
 Phoenix.Slytribal
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Slykun
By Phoenix.Slytribal 2010-09-29 07:42:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm in need of a new computer to play the game, but I'm having a lot of difficulty finding computers here that meet all the requirements suggested for it. I have found one here that sounds ok, but not certain on the graphics card, thought I'd ask to see if these will run it?

# Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E7400 2.80GHz
# Hard Drive: 1TB Hard Drive
# Memory: 4GB RAM DDR3 (Installed)
# Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium 32 Bit
# Optical Drive: DVD+/-RW SuperMulti
# Graphics Controller: ATI HD 4350 (with 512MB dedicated) Graphics
# LAN: 10/100/1000 Mbps
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
Server: Leviathan
user: Fyyvoaa
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2010-09-29 07:46:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Should.
 Asura.Isiolia
Server: Asura
user: Isiolia
By Asura.Isiolia 2010-09-29 07:58:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Graphics card is a slower card than the minimum spec. That said, if you dropped a 4850 in it or something, the rest of the machine should be sufficient.
 Phoenix.Slytribal
By Phoenix.Slytribal 2010-09-29 08:19:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Thought so.. Thanks. I'll give it miss x.x. This topic has bought up an interesting ad though, to get custom PCs built.

Processor (CPU): Intel® Core™2 Duo E7600 (3.06GHz) 1066Hz FSB/3MB L2 Cache.

Motherboard: ASUS® P5G41T-M LX2 S: MICRO ATX VALUE BOARD & DDR3, SATA-II, 2 x PCI

Memory (RAM): 4GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 2GB)

Graphics Card: 768MB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX460 GDDR5 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11

Memory - 1st Hard Disk: 1TB SERIAL ATA 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 16MB CACHE (7,200rpm)
2nd Hard Disk:NONE

Sound Card: ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Operating System: Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

How does this sound now?
 Ramuh.Krizz
Server: Ramuh
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-09-29 08:26:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Your build looks good. I have the same processor in my desktop now, and it does great. I have the 1GB GTX460 and I love it.
 Asura.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
user: dameshi
By Asura.Dameshi 2010-09-29 08:27:12
Link | Quote | Reply

The true question is, will it blend?
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2010-09-29 08:31:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Slytribal said:
Thought so.. Thanks. I'll give it miss x.x. This topic has bought up an interesting ad though, to get custom PCs built.

Processor (CPU): Intel® Core™2 Duo E7600 (3.06GHz) 1066Hz FSB/3MB L2 Cache.

Motherboard: ASUS® P5G41T-M LX2 S: MICRO ATX VALUE BOARD & DDR3, SATA-II, 2 x PCI

Memory (RAM): 4GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 2GB)

Graphics Card: 768MB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX460 GDDR5 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11

Memory - 1st Hard Disk: 1TB SERIAL ATA 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 16MB CACHE (7,200rpm)
2nd Hard Disk:NONE

Sound Card: ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Operating System: Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

How does this sound now?

That will work~
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2010-09-29 08:31:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Dameshi said:

Phoenix.Slytribal
By Phoenix.Slytribal 2010-09-29 08:36:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Dameshi said:

Meaning are they compatible? It said everything was compatible on the builder
 Leviathan.Pimpchan
user: pchan
By Leviathan.Pimpchan 2010-09-29 08:36:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Slytribal said:
I'm in need of a new computer to play the game, but I'm having a lot of difficulty finding computers here that meet all the requirements suggested for it. I have found one here that sounds ok, but not certain on the graphics card, thought I'd ask to see if these will run it?

I've got this exactly and it works if you don't change graphics settings from default. You can play full screen (1680x1050 for me). But the option for

textures => NoAA

graphic buffer=> size of window

ambient occlusion => off
depth of field => off

It works fine.

Anything else is minor improvement like the depth option only seem to display far background objects more aesthetically (fog type animation for me). If you want to use everything max you have to change motherboard+card+ram type+ processor to i5 for about 600€.

Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-09-29 08:37:32
Link | Quote | Reply

<Horacio>:" I think the real question here is... Will it not work?"

yeah...
 Asura.Isiolia
user: Isiolia
By Asura.Isiolia 2010-09-29 08:39:13
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're going to get a GTX460, buy the 1GB version. It's a slightly better chip (wider memory bus, etc).

Is the second system an ad to build that for a particular price? The Core2 and mobo would likely be leftover parts at this point. Not that it wouldn't be functional - most modern games tend to tax the GPU more than the CPU, particularly at moderate/high resolutions, so a modest CPU can be barely different in performance from a higher end one. More that socket 775 was replaced a while ago, and its successor (socket 1156) is being replaced in Jan/Feb. Plenty of OEMs are still selling socket 775 stuff, but it doesn't change that it's out-of-date tech.
 Asura.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
user: dameshi
By Asura.Dameshi 2010-09-29 08:43:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Slytribal said:
Asura.Dameshi said:
Meaning are they compatible? It said everything was compatible on the builder
I meant what Catnip posted, but that is also rather important. Spending a bunch of money on stuff that isn't compatible sucks :/
 Phoenix.Slytribal
By Phoenix.Slytribal 2010-09-29 08:44:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Pimpchan said:
Phoenix.Slytribal said:

I've got this exactly and it works if you don't change graphics settings from default. You can play full screen (1680x1050 for me). But the option for

textures => NoAA

ambient occlusion => off
depth of field => off

It works fine.

Anything else is minor improvement like the depth option only seem to display far background objects more aesthetically (fog type animation for me). If you want to use everything max you have to change motherboard+card+ram type+ processor to i5 for about 600€.

So basically, if I got the computer, and just left the graphics alone, the game will work?
 Phoenix.Slytribal
By Phoenix.Slytribal 2010-09-29 08:56:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Isiolia said:
If you're going to get a GTX460, buy the 1GB version. It's a slightly better chip (wider memory bus, etc).

Is the second system an ad to build that for a particular price? The Core2 and mobo would likely be leftover parts at this point. Not that it wouldn't be functional - most modern games tend to tax the GPU more than the CPU, particularly at moderate/high resolutions, so a modest CPU can be barely different in performance from a higher end one. More that socket 775 was replaced a while ago, and its successor (socket 1156) is being replaced in Jan/Feb. Plenty of OEMs are still selling socket 775 stuff, but it doesn't change that it's out-of-date tech.

Alittle confused, but the second one was from an ad to build it for a price yeah. Seems to be £40 more to raise it to the 1GB version. Seems reasonable
 Sylph.Pwrlessgirl
Server: Sylph
user: Pwrless
By Sylph.Pwrlessgirl 2010-09-29 09:10:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Slytribal said:
I'm in need of a new computer to play the game, but I'm having a lot of difficulty finding computers here that meet all the requirements suggested for it. I have found one here that sounds ok, but not certain on the graphics card, thought I'd ask to see if these will run it? # Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E7400 2.80GHz # Hard Drive: 1TB Hard Drive # Memory: 4GB RAM DDR3 (Installed) # Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium 32 Bit # Optical Drive: DVD+/-RW SuperMulti # Graphics Controller: ATI HD 4350 (with 512MB dedicated) Graphics # LAN: 10/100/1000 Mbps

RE: Graphics Controller: ATI HD 4350 (with 512MB dedicated) Graphics

Since you have ATI graphics card, if you get Error "Final Fantasy XIV Has stoped working" please read my comments on topic named as above.

Also, make sure you download Microsoft Service Pack 3. I'm not sure if you have it or not, but Game will ask you have it installed.
 Phoenix.Slytribal
By Phoenix.Slytribal 2010-09-29 09:12:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Pwrlessgirl said:
Phoenix.Slytribal said:
I'm in need of a new computer to play the game, but I'm having a lot of difficulty finding computers here that meet all the requirements suggested for it. I have found one here that sounds ok, but not certain on the graphics card, thought I'd ask to see if these will run it? # Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E7400 2.80GHz # Hard Drive: 1TB Hard Drive # Memory: 4GB RAM DDR3 (Installed) # Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium 32 Bit # Optical Drive: DVD+/-RW SuperMulti # Graphics Controller: ATI HD 4350 (with 512MB dedicated) Graphics # LAN: 10/100/1000 Mbps

RE: Graphics Controller: ATI HD 4350 (with 512MB dedicated) Graphics

Since you have ATI graphics card, if you get Error "Final Fantasy XIV Has stoped working" please read my comments on topic named as above.

Also, make sure you download Microsoft Service Pack 3. I'm not sure if you have it or not, but Game will ask you have it installed.

I don't have the computer, looking to get one for the game, so I don't know if it would have that error
 Leviathan.Pimpchan
user: pchan
By Leviathan.Pimpchan 2010-09-29 11:46:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Slytribal said:
Leviathan.Pimpchan said:
Phoenix.Slytribal said:

textures => NoAA

ambient occlusion => off
depth of field => off

It works fine.

So basically, if I got the computer, and just left the graphics alone, the game will work?

Yes it will work. By default the game is windowed to 1024x728 though so if you want a bigger window, change the resolution in the config.
 Odin.Moondaddy
Server: Odin
user: Moondaddy
By Odin.Moondaddy 2010-09-29 15:08:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Slytribal said:

4gb of ram is kinda a waste seeing on how your os is only going to be able to use at most 3.25gb
 Kujata.Akeda
Server: Kujata
user: Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2010-09-29 17:28:42
Link | Quote | Reply

FWIW I only have 2 GB of RAM (dual channel, low latency RAM. The kind made for gaming, not cheap 'desktop' RAM with CAS timings of 5) and it runs smooth as silk at 8x AA and depth of field.

and if you're going to buy a new computer, might as well get a core i5 instead of the outdated core 2 duo.