First Page 2 3 4 5
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-09-20 22:21:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Tenrio said:
Wait wait wait wait... you're saying people are wasting slots on gear that could be better and yet you're TPing in Amemet+1 instead of going for broke and just using Forager's?
Sure, gil in my pocket when SE releases a better back later. Also, like I said, working towards a beneficial augment. Spamming Amemet +1s is easier on my wallet and it at least improves my DPS whereas the only effect Sharpeye is generally going to have is Subtle Blow -6, which is not beneficial at all.
Quote:
Or my gosh, some accuracy with Sharpeye mantle and throw some other stats elsewhere?
I have 3 TP sets, one of which uses Sharpeye. umad?
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-09-20 22:22:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh yeah well I can hit 1k+ sanguine blades in abyssea easy and with the 2-3 swd and full haste can do them fairly often. So take that melee to spell dmg!
 Ragnarok.Zirael
Server: Ragnarok
user: Zirael
By Ragnarok.Zirael 2010-09-20 22:26:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Ragnarok.Zirael said:
Haste+3% and BlueMagic+5? Feel free to give better options for the slots.
Mirage/Morrigan's, Tiphia Sting/Smart Grenade
Quote:
Also, Nightfyre, instead of advocating STR 8+8 on swords, start working on getting yourself Atma of Stout Arm and Atma of Voracious Violet. Most things outside abyssea are too weak now, regardless of what sword you're using.
BLU is still likely uncapped pDIF, should not be using both atmas simultaneously (refresh atma where?), and the STR still affects spells.

Outside content only reinforces my point given how useless accuracy is on old content. You basically autocap hitrate these days on 75 cap stuff.
Quote:
For me Haste and capping ACC for TP would be the way to go. Unless your damage comes mostly from meeling, Attack does very little to you. And having that much ACC for multihit spells on swords lets you load more STR/DEX/VIT in armor slots. Aside from Quad.Cont. DEX is modifier for all multihits that matter.
I use a full damage set on my multihits and still cap accuracy. Your point?
Outside Quad.Cont. DEX is the same modifier for multihits as STR. So which is better one STR+16 or DEX+16/Acc+28? I'd say they are comparable, if not DEX option pulling ahead (on spells, outside QC, again).
Also, I don't see any Haste (for TP) on Mirage/Morrigan, all I see is a bit of accuracy and Refresh, STR8/Atk too (great for getting TP, yeah). You've said you've got capped Accuracy, no?
Refresh Atma and bodies are nice, but we're talking about maxing damage on spells/TP DoT here, not MP management. If you've got RDM or BRD, MP is not an issue even without Atma/body, if you're soloing, you'll have to sacrifice that Haste, maybe.
 Shiva.Tenrio
Server: Shiva
user: Tenrio
By Shiva.Tenrio 2010-09-20 22:27:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Not mad, just upset. Here we have a guy that throws out be all end alls of, "you should be using this, you're foolish for using that." And yet you skimp on your Blu or rather put down alternatives. Sounds a little bull headish to me. Is this really the kind of example someone that deems themself good wants to show to people that are trying to better themselves at a job?

Also, strawmanning lol.

[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-09-20 22:30:07
Link | Quote | Reply

If str and dex spell mods are the same the str will win. There is still fstr and blue attack from str. Unless you are fighting something rather decently lower lvl than you so you can cap fstr and pdif. In which case you should cap acc even in a full str setup with no food
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-09-20 22:31:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Zirael said:
Outside Quad.Cont. DEX is the same modifier for multihits as STR. So which is better one STR+16 or DEX+16/Acc+28? I'd say they are comparable, if not DEX option pulling ahead (on spells, outside QC, again).
STR is one of only two ways to influence spell pDIF (the other being skill), so STR is easily the winner.
Quote:
Also, I don't see any Haste (for TP) on Mirage/Morrigan, all I see is a bit of accuracy and Refresh, STR8/Atk too (great for getting TP, yeah). You've said you've got capped Accuracy, no?
Refresh Atma and bodies are nice, but we're talking about maxing damage on spells/TP DoT here, not MP management. If you've got RDM or BRD, MP is not an issue even without Atma/body, if you're soloing, you'll have to sacrifice that Haste, maybe.
If MP is not an issue, more MP means more spell spam for greater damage output. More refresh is never undesirable until you literally cannot spend it fast enough, in which case there are far better options to trade out.
 Asura.Sope
Server: Asura
user: sope
By Asura.Sope 2010-09-20 22:32:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Zirael said:

The same amount of STR will always beat the same amount of DEX, as long as accuracy is capped. Capping accuracy for BLU magic is incredibly easy. I do it with -zero- emphasis on accuracy while casting.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-09-20 22:32:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Tenrio said:
Not mad, just upset. Here we have a guy that throws out be all end alls of, "you should be using this, you're foolish for using that." And yet you skimp on your Blu or rather put down alternatives. Sounds a little bull headish to me. Is this really the kind of example someone that deems themself good wants to show to people that are trying to better themselves at a job?

Also, strawmanning lol.

Yep, I'm skimping by spamming augments with the intent of getting something better than either piece. (`.`)b

Still doing more than a Sharpeye Mantle.
 Shiva.Ravager
user: Ravager
By Shiva.Ravager 2010-09-20 22:38:09
Link | Quote | Reply

So, I have to ask because this has been bugging me. Why are you TPing in Amemet and Strigoi instead of trying to cap haste anyway Nightfyre? If your accuracy is so great why not TP in more haste gear instead of STR and attack? It's like TPing in a Flame Ring instead of Blitz Ring.(I know BLU can't use Blitz, just making an analogy) You're acting as if the set I posted earlier was a full time set I TP, WS, and cast in.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-09-20 22:39:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Ravager said:
So, I have to ask because this has been bugging me. Why are you TPing in Amemet and Strigoi instead of trying to cap haste anyway Nightfyre? If your accuracy is so great why not TP in more haste gear instead of STR and attack? It's like TPing in a Flame Ring instead of Blitz Ring.(I know BLU can't use Blitz, just making an analogy) You're acting as if the set I posted earlier was a full time set I TP, WS, and cast in.
Who says I don't max haste gear outside of refresh slots? I figured that was a given. There's ***I don't have like haste+4 legs (working on it, obviously) and Dusk +1 (waiting to see how future gear pans out), but I use Turban, Tiercel, Homam etc at all times (sometimes have Serpentes Spellcasted in over Homam hands/feet). Was trying for Acubens (something like 0/20) but AF3 came out so I've redirected my time into getting AF3.

And no, I'm not acting like it's fulltime gear.
 Shiva.Ravager
By Shiva.Ravager 2010-09-20 22:42:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Shiva.Ravager said:
Who says I don't max haste gear outside of refresh slots? I figured that was a given.

Well it would be a GIVEN if you would post your all righteous, almighty TP gear, but I guess that's asking for too much.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zirael
By Ragnarok.Zirael 2010-09-20 22:44:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sope said:
Ragnarok.Zirael said:

The same amount of STR will always beat the same amount of DEX, as long as accuracy is capped. Capping accuracy for BLU magic is incredibly easy. I do it with -zero- emphasis on accuracy while casting.
There are things out there like Heafoc Mitts/Alky etc. for armor slots. I'm not saying STR on swords is bad choice (I'm saying having STR or DEX I'd be either happy), but with ACC covered on swords, you can load any armor you want for spells, eat Red Curry and be happy bunny. Also, if you're fighting something you have capped accuracy on, is that mob really worth it spending countles hours on magian trials or spending milions on gear? Kinda no feeling of achievement to me being able to hit that Pahypodium for 3-4k damage, or however much you're doing.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-09-20 22:46:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Ravager said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Shiva.Ravager said:
Who says I don't max haste gear outside of refresh slots? I figured that was a given.

Well it would be a GIVEN if you would post your all righteous, almighty TP gear, but I guess that's asking for too much.
ITT: my gear is relevant to my ability to make suggestions for others.

If you must know,

STR/STR/---/Tiphia*
Turban/Tiercel/Suppa/Brutal
Mirage*/Homam/Strigoi/Rajas
Amemet+1/Swift*/Aurore*/Homam

*1=accidentally tossed Smart Grenade, considering WTath
*2=*** QQTH don't drop
*3=working on Lacovie pops and occasionally visiting KA
*4=Have pop for Ocelot legs, working on AF3

Situational swaps: ring1 and back. Sold my PCC, haven't needed to swap to it over Tiercel in a long time. Already covered why I don't have Acubens.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-09-20 22:49:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Before anybody says anything about my swords, I'm working on OAT, defense down, PDT, and MDB swords. That's just my base DD-oriented set for the time being.
 Shiva.Ravager
By Shiva.Ravager 2010-09-20 22:52:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Shiva.Ravager said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Shiva.Ravager said:

If you must know,

STR/STR/---/Tiphia*

*1=tossed Smart Grenade, considering WTath
*2=*** QQTH don't drop

Situational swaps: ring1 and back. Sold my PCC, haven't needed to swap to it over Tiercel in a long time.

It's not so much the ability to make suggestions to others, it's just you're criticizing my TP set, so I would like to better mine too. :D Thanks for posting it.
 Ragnarok.Zirael
By Ragnarok.Zirael 2010-09-20 22:52:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Shiva.Ravager said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Shiva.Ravager said:

If you must know,

STR/STR/---/Tiphia*

*1=accidentally tossed Smart Grenade, considering WTath
*2=*** QQTH don't drop

Situational swaps: ring1 and back. Sold my PCC, haven't needed to swap to it over Tiercel in a long time. Already covered why I don't have Acubens.
You've got 20% Haste in here from my quick calculation? Ravager in his proposed set has 23% Haste (again my quick math, 5am so feel free to prove me wrong, going to sleep), but no Refresh.
 Shiva.Tenrio
user: Tenrio
By Shiva.Tenrio 2010-09-20 22:55:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Shiva.Tenrio said:

Also, strawmanning lol.

Yep, I'm skimping by spamming augments with the intent of getting something better than either piece. (`.`)b

Still doing more than a Sharpeye Mantle.

But you aren't so it's all good with me =).
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2010-09-20 23:04:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Perhaps I missed something but... Why is macc sword a good option?
 Bismarck.Rinako
Server: Bismarck
user: Rinako
By Bismarck.Rinako 2010-09-20 23:04:56
Link | Quote | Reply

It probably sounds stupid but I'm doing STR/DEX just to balance out any dex- gear ^^;

Plus I just like DEX. :)
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-09-20 23:06:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Zirael said:

You've got 20% Haste in here from my quick calculation? Ravager in his proposed set has 23% Haste (again my quick math, 5am so feel free to prove me wrong, going to sleep), but no Refresh.
I have 19 :( Wish I had more. Would use Acubens if I had it, which brings the difference to 3% haste (ie body). 3 haste vs 1 refresh plays out as follows:

First off, I'm not including Haste Samba. In the future receiving /DNC samba might be the norm, but for now BLU benefits very little from Haste Samba so I'm calculating without it. As a result, we have a high-end scenario but not "optimal" (inb4 giving a DNC to a BLU isn't optimal). Doesn't change the answer in this scenario, just thought I'd get it out of the way.

2 BRDs, double march double ballad. Atma of Ambition + Stout Arm/VV, whichever... point is one refresh one offensive atma. With Refresh II, auto refresh, and Mirage Jubbah I'm pushing 17/tic. 17/16=6.25% increase in damage output from spells. With 20% haste gear + haste + double marches I'm looking at ~55% haste. 3 more haste is a 7.31% increase... but my spell:melee split is easily around 80:20, if not higher. As a result, you're actually looking at 5% vs 1.46%... the refresh clearly wins.

Most of us go without at least a few of those buffs in any given scenario, which results in the refresh easily being favored as long as you're still organizing your buffs properly.
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Gias
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-09-20 23:06:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Sekundes said:

Perhaps if you're trying to stun-lock something?
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2010-09-20 23:19:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:
Ragnarok.Sekundes said:

Perhaps if you're trying to stun-lock something?
I suppose this depends on if your trouble is landing the spell or the additional effect but still... I would not do a trail, much less two for additional effect proc. Based on this, I think I'd stay with my OAT.
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-09-20 23:24:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Right. I don't think anyone was suggesting to prioritize the macc sword.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2010-09-20 23:56:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:

Honestly, just trying to figure out why I see so many people with one.
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-09-21 00:02:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Sekundes said:
Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:

I would hope that they would have worked on a more useful overall sword first(OAT, STR etc), rather than one that will be situational at best...

If they went for a macc one over the other options, then well.. they're doing it wrong.
 Asura.Sope
Server: Asura
user: sope
By Asura.Sope 2010-09-21 00:43:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:
If they went for a macc one over the other options, then well.. they're doing it wrong.

^
 Shiva.Darkmacabre
By Shiva.Darkmacabre 2010-09-21 02:58:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Sekundes said:
Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:

^ Maybe because 80%+ of Blue Mages are ***? I'm pretty sick of seeing them use full *** pink gear. lol And M.Acc Swords full time. And no gear swapping for spells.... and don't utilize the mage aspect of the job..... I could go on for days. <_>
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
Server: Pandemonium
user: Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2010-09-21 03:01:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Darkmacabre said:
plastron

[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre