Fatigue System Explained.

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXIV » General » Fatigue System explained.
Fatigue System explained.
First Page 2 3
 Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
By Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury 2010-09-16 07:03:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty cool video explaining the fatigue system.

Linkshell.com-Captions said:

So what is the fatigue system? simply put the fatigue system is a limit on how fast you can level up.

So why is there a limit? Here's why: When designing a game, a game developer decides how fast a player will progress from level to level. A common way to do this is to add a leveling curve. Making it easy for players to level up at first and much harder the higher they get. So a leveling curve is nothing more than a time sink.

But here's the problem: If a developer sets the curve too low, the players who can play 12 hours a day will reach the maximum level within weeks. If they set the curve too high, the players who can only manage 1 to 2 hours a day will take years to reach the max.

This is a major way MMOs retain their subscriptions!

Square-Enix puts a spin on the system. Instead of making someone play tons and tons of hours to reach the maximum level, they made it easier for everyone to level up overall, but still control the rate at which players can progress through the game.

Here's how the limit works... the fatigue limit is divided into thresholds. a single threshold is equal to the amount of experience points a regular player will gain in an hour, while continuously fighting battles. You will get experience points at a normal rate, until you break the 8th threshold. After that the experience points you gain will gradually decrease, until you reach the 15th threshold where you can no longer gain experience points.

But... Once you stop fighting battles, this threshold will slowly start decreasing, and you will be able to gain experience points once again. Not only that, the threshold will reset once a week, allowing you to have a fresh start.

But getting experience points doesn't end when you reach the fatigue limit. Here's why... when you fight battles you will get two kinds of points.
• You will get experience points. Which levels up your physical level, and gives you increased HP, MP, strength, dexterity, vitality, intelligence, mind and piety.
• And you will also get weapon skill points. Which levels up your class or discipline, and unlocks abilities such as Rampart, Provoke, Red Lotus and Phalanx.

Each class or discipline have their own separate threshold. Let's say you have reached your limit while playing as a gladiator, you can switch disciplines and change into something else, like a marauder. Giving you a completely empty threshold. Also while playing as a marauder, your gladiator threshold will start decreasing.

With 18 Disciplines to choose from, you will never run out of skill points to gain.

But why level more than one discipline? Because in Final Fantasy 14, you can combine and use abilities from other disciplines.

Here's how it works: when you play a gladiator you can learn abilities like red lotus at rank 2, which deals increased fire damage. And rampart at rank 4, which increases your defenses.
• A marauder at rank 6 learns the ability bloodbath, which converts a percentage of damage dealt into HP.
• and a pugilist at rank 6 learns second wind, which restores HP at the cost of TP.
Under the armory system you can combine those abilities to make your gladiator even stronger.

So there are two ways for character growth, vertically with your physical level. and horizontally with your levels of discipline. Players who can manage to play only 1 hour a day, can still reach and enjoy the max level, at the same time as a player who can play 15 hours a day. But players who have more time to play, can grow more horizontally, and have more options and more abilities. Making it a very fair compromise.

The idea of a fatigue system is so revolutionary that at first glance it sounds ridiculous to most people. But when you really start to look at it, the system allows for more freedom.

Edit: If posted already, disregard.
[+]
 Bismarck.Rinako
Server: Bismarck
user: Rinako
By Bismarck.Rinako 2010-09-16 07:07:21
Link | Quote | Reply

It was posted in a previous thread about the fatigue system. Still a pretty good explanation for the most part but... still not liking it; however that game from my understanding wasn't suppose to be "level" based initially so I guess it makes sense after it's explained with great thought.

Edit: Was posted here http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/13377/ffxiv-to-impose-game-play-time-limit/3/
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
Server: Leviathan
user: Fyyvoaa
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2010-09-16 07:09:25
Link | Quote | Reply

This explains it so good, and I like it actually how they explain it.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury 2010-09-16 07:13:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh thanks, I wasn't aware that new thread was created. I only browsed through that old fatigue thread and decided not to bump it.

But yeah if this is the first time watching this video (like me) the new concept is sound imo.

Most people play MMOs, or any game, to gain levels as fast as they can and for this reason it may offset some people from starting a new MMO with a distaste of 'falling behind'. I think this remedies it very well.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-09-16 07:18:54
Link | Quote | Reply

If you can only play 1 or 2 hrs a day, you shouldn't be playing an MMO.

This will work at first, so people who start together can lv at a similar rate, but let's go a year down the line, two years down the line, and you then you start the game. Will suck trying to catch up from that point because you're limited
[+]
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-09-16 07:21:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I dunno, if they're removing the XP curve then it more or less balances out in time vs reward, while simultaneously preventing things like over crowding in a camp.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Meowzma
Server: Asura
user: meowzma
By Asura.Meowzma 2010-09-16 07:39:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:

Who are you to decide how people spend their free time? I know people who work on an oil rig, offshore engineers, they work 2 weeks on deck, then have 2 weeks leave. Are you suggesting they can't play either because they only get 2 weeks out of a month to play?

In the above posted video, at 3:35, Steve says "With 18 Disciplines to choose from, you will never run out of skill points to gain", however, Lancer and Weaver appear twice, leaving only 16 Disciplines.

Where does that leave this image?

I personally have no problem with this fatigue system, as I know the threshold will decrease as I work/sleep, though it does clearly illustrate at 3:20 that the threshold will decrease very slowly on inactive jobs.

I feel the only people who have a problem with the above system have the intentions of playing 15+ hours a day. Need I say more?
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-09-16 07:39:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
This is even better than the traditional time sink of other MMOs because players are placed a temporary wall making it take even longer. In my eyes this is an incredibly crafty way of creating a bigger futuristic time sink under the guise of being fair to new players.

/thread
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-09-16 07:40:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Who are you to decide how people spend their free time?
Allow me to reword my statement.

If you only can play 1-2 hours a day, others shouldn't be held back specifically so you can get your hand held by SE
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-09-16 07:40:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
I know people who work on an oil rig, offshore engineers, they work 2 weeks on deck, then have 2 weeks leave.

And if they get 2 weeks leave, they want to spend that time how they please. They're not going to want to be limited during that 2 weeks they have free.
By Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury 2010-09-16 07:43:07
Link | Quote | Reply

@Spi - Yeah, your point is valid for people that can dedicate massive amounts of time (more than 2-4 hours a day) to a game. And I can see why gamers who do have that time to spend would not be pleased with this new system - since it obviously hinders game play.

When I say it remedies it very well, it was a follow up to my last sentence concerning players who don't have the ability to play as much anymore.

... all in all, it's business strategy. Hard gamers will always play regardless (fans), prolonging level up methods - as stated in the video and now attracting people who have little time to play.
 Asura.Meowzma
By Asura.Meowzma 2010-09-16 07:47:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:
It is funny they mention the curve being nothing but a time sink, but what the *** can one call having to divert to going horizontal instead of finishing their desired vertical?

On the contrary; you don't HAVE to rank up other jobs, but it would give you more abilities. BLUs don't HAVE to get every spell going, but a lot have situational uses.

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Quote:

If you only can play 1-2 hours a day, others shouldn't be held back specifically so you can get your hand held by SE

Sorry to interrupt your 24/7 game play.

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Quote:
I know people who work on an oil rig, offshore engineers, they work 2 weeks on deck, then have 2 weeks leave.

And if they get 2 weeks leave, they want to spend that time how they please. They're not going to want to be limited during that 2 weeks they have free.

They're also not planning to spend their entire 336 hours off duty, online.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-09-16 07:48:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Meowzma said:
Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:
It is funny they mention the curve being nothing but a time sink, but what the *** can one call having to divert to going horizontal instead of finishing their desired vertical?

On the contrary; you don't HAVE to rank up other jobs, but it would give you more abilities. BLUs don't HAVE to get every spell going, but a lot have situational uses.

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Quote:

Sorry to interrupt your 24/7 game play.

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Quote:

They're also not planning to spend their entire 336 hours off duty, online.
But they may plan to spend more than 8, your 336 is irrelevant.

And you don't have to play 24/7, you'd hit your weekly limit before you finish your first day.

Way to exaggerate your response?

Post deleted by User.
 Unicorn.Hardwood
Server: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Hardwood 2010-09-16 07:50:10
Link | Quote | Reply

maybe playing 4-5hr a day? just cause SE says 15 hr a day in vid doesnt mean ot takes 15 hrs to cap threshhold. more likely to take 15 in a week then a day. As well im pretty sure the current system on XI allows for using of abilities learned by other jobs. Oh but 14 shows ya gettin 1 more job with 1 more of its ability.

I always remember back to such titles as ffx-2, ff crystal chronicles, ff 12, ff13, ff crystal chronicle series (wtf for real) and remind myself to take what i read and hear from SE divide it by 2 and then smash it with a hammer.
Oh sorry ya I have no faith, no faith at all.
 Unicorn.Crysten
user: Crysten
By Unicorn.Crysten 2010-09-16 07:51:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:

This will work at first, so people who start together can lv at a similar rate, but let's go a year down the line, two years down the line, and you then you start the game. Will suck trying to catch up from that point because you're limited

Once the game is established and a lot of people reach mac level, it's a pretty safe bet that they'll raise the threshold, or do away with it altogether.

I do like how they explain it; especially the idea of horizontal growth. Of course the hardcore players will have more of an advantage, say with all their crafters levelled over a casual with just a Gladiator.

Seeing as I don't plan to play XIV hardcore anyway, it's not going to affect me much anyway.
[+]
By Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury 2010-09-16 07:52:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Not all, my basic day is sleep 6 hours, work 10 hours, family 8 hours. And there really is no time to sit down and play unless it's the weekend, which it's all dedicated to family for the most part.

It just depends on that particular person and their scheduling.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-09-16 07:54:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Family hours exist? lol, I avoid the *** out of mine.
[+]
By Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury 2010-09-16 07:55:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol XD
 Ifrit.Eikechi
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-09-16 07:55:11
Link | Quote | Reply

This video fully explains another thing that is really turning me off to 14 >_<. When I'm off work I like to relax and play XI...I would have done the same with 14...Doesn't quite seem like I can...who's to say how I spend my time? Cuz I get 2 days off a week (like most folks) and I like to spend those days off doing things I enjoy...wtf SE....w...t...f..

and this "cross disciple skill" system sounds like ***.. you mean to tell me I can have a lvl lets say 40 gladiator using level 40 pugilist skills with no nerf? then wtf would be the point of being a main job in any class, when you can just lvl them all and seemingly be god? lol

edit2: oh goddam...I saw the game has samurais.... mother ***...... Love that job in every FF game its in :(

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2010-09-16 07:57:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:

Yeah. But if we play more than 1-2 hours, how will we have time to browse the mall for capri-length jeans, paint our home exteriors pink, or ride our phat 2-wheelers down the strip?
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-09-16 07:58:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Elanabelle said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:

Yeah. But if we play more than 1-2 hours, how will we have time to browse the mall for capri-length jeans, paint our home exteriors pink, or ride our phat 2-wheelers down the strip?

If I can do it, you can do it, too!

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Meowzma
By Asura.Meowzma 2010-09-16 08:00:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:

And you don't have to play 24/7, you'd hit your weekly limit before you finish your first day.

You'd only hit your limit in the first day if you're going to be grinding to the bone for 14-16 hours straight, which is the impression I get from you.

The timer only starts counting down in combat, you can quite easily find something else to do, or sleep. I can't understand why people have a problem with only being allowed to level 1 Discipline for 15 hours a day.

Unless that 15 hours is for the entire week, which isn't property explained, then I'd have a problem, depending on how fast it recharges.
 Ifrit.Eikechi
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-09-16 08:02:55
Link | Quote | Reply

ya somehow, even though the guy in the vid said 15h a day...i dont think they meant just 1 day..because if it was just 1 day, why would the fatigue reset each week? the timeline doesn't quite seem to add up, because by the rate at which the video showed the fatigue going down, it seemed VERY slow and only while you level other jobs..not just when logged out (i was a smidge confused)
 Unicorn.Hardwood
By Unicorn.Hardwood 2010-09-16 08:03:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury said:
Hard gamers will always play regardless (fans)

This use to be true with the FF series until as of the last few titles. Many of my "FF" friends RL and game, me included did not purchases 12 or 13. They was very "Flashy" grapics and horrible gameplay to go with them. Yes i know were talkin mmo here but with FF11 already tried and tested (until recent lvl increases and magian trals to just murder game) in my humble opinion will see a fair portion of those "Hard Core" players return to the ffxi. And alot will move on to other MMO all together(SC2 is pretty hot).

And why the hell would any MMO fan even want to have a cap set on them? Sure ok so look at me i have 2 rank6 discipline 4 rank3 and 6 rank2, oh but that dude with only 1 rank6 a rank3 and a rank2 is just as high as me, with same gear, spells, abilities, skills(player). Oh thats right can spend the other 11hr a day doing quests. /flex i 1337 quester.

[Sorry for the non-sentrical fuming but I am terribly disappointed in how ffxi2 turned out(played beta)]
 Sylph.Belmonth
user: Belmonth
By Sylph.Belmonth 2010-09-16 08:04:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Meowzma said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:

You'd only hit your limit in the first day if you're going to be grinding to the bone for 14-16 hours straight, which is the impression I get from you.

The timer only starts counting down in combat, you can quite easily find something else to do, or sleep. I can't understand why people have a problem with only being allowed to level 1 Discipline for 15 hours a day.

Unless that 15 hours is for the entire week, which isn't property explained, then I'd have a problem, depending on how fast it recharges.

Yup, because the time you are logged off, and in other class the timer also goes down, it doesn't necesarily take a full week to recover. And let's face it, it will be like subjobs anyways.
First Page 2 3