Looking For PS2 HDD Plz Help!

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Looking for PS2 HDD plz help!
Looking for PS2 HDD plz help!
 Fenrir.Mariane
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: leo
By Fenrir.Mariane 2010-09-21 17:26:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Theres NO WAY of installing PIRATED copies of FFXI in the PS2 or PS3 period.

Because of Dynamic Network Authentication System (DNAS) the console is scanned for modifications, the Hard Disk drive is probed for being of the right type required by the game and the disc is SERIALIZED with unique IDs per copy. It's just to make sure nobody will:

Install playonline and related software from illegal copies
Install on more than a certain number of machines
Use an not official hard disk drive
Use the same hard disk drive in more than one PS2 unit at a given time

Expansions are affected by the same rules. And remember that if you have no CoP and/or WoG you can't use Abyssea expansions.

If you don't have RoZ and (I think)ToAU you can't use ACP/AMKE/ASA as well. Regardless of having them active on your account, not having the data on the console will prevent them from being usable.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
Server: Phoenix
user: AnnaMolly
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-09-21 17:27:34
Link | Quote | Reply

If you can find/make a PS2 HDD bracket, I THINK you can use normal PC HDDs, but you'd need to find the discs.
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
Server: Bahamut
user: Troair
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2010-09-21 17:32:10
Link | Quote | Reply

*** that sucks
 Fenrir.Mariane
By Fenrir.Mariane 2010-09-21 17:35:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Kojo said:
If you can find/make a PS2 HDD bracket, I THINK you can use normal PC HDDs, but you'd need to find the discs.

No, you can't use normal HDDs. SONY HDDs have custom firmware and are "watermarked" with an unique ID which is used by the server on the DNAS crap.

Simply won't work. Best guess is finding the discs. I think the OP has a working HDD so the worst part of the problem he already solved. Then a collection disc is perfect. SE only made the PS2 collection discs because people with back compatibility PS3s can use them.
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2010-09-21 17:36:41
Link | Quote | Reply

ya i just need a used one but all i can find are sealed ones for like 50-100 bucks
 Fenrir.Mariane
By Fenrir.Mariane 2010-09-21 17:41:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kaioshin said:
ya i just need a used one but all i can find are sealed ones for like 50-100 bucks

An Hard Disk Drive is an mechanical device that deteriorates with use. I'd suggest you pay the 100 bucks for a brand new one.

Also the Collection disc with WoG. you can aways sell the PlayOnline codes which come with the PS2 HDD for friends as they're perfectly usable with PC FFXI.
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2010-09-21 17:43:33
Link | Quote | Reply

no i meant sealed ps2 vanadiel collection 2008
 Bismarck.Enzoe
Server: Bismarck
user: Enzoe
By Bismarck.Enzoe 2010-09-21 17:51:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I just checked Ebay and found that there are several Playstation 2 HDDs for sale there aswell as Network adapters for the HDDs.

Check Ebay

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=PS2+HDD&_sacat=0&_odkw=pd2+HDD&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
Server: Phoenix
user: AnnaMolly
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-09-21 17:53:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Mariane said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:
No, you can't use normal HDDs. SONY HDDs have custom firmware and are "watermarked" with an unique ID which is used by the server on the DNAS crap. Simply won't work. Best guess is finding the discs. I think the OP has a working HDD so the worst part of the problem he already solved. Then a collection disc is perfect. SE only made the PS2 collection discs because people with back compatibility PS3s can use them.

Then wouldn't that stop a B/C PS3 from playing FFXI, if it's hard drive were upgraded?
 Fenrir.Mariane
By Fenrir.Mariane 2010-09-21 17:55:51
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're buying the hard drive as loose item, don't forget that you need this disc:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Playstation-2-HDD-Utility-Disc-Version-1-10-/220670588300?pt=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item3360fdf58c

You can't format the hard drive without the disc !
 Fenrir.Mariane
By Fenrir.Mariane 2010-09-21 17:57:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Kojo said:
Fenrir.Mariane said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:
No, you can't use normal HDDs. SONY HDDs have custom firmware and are "watermarked" with an unique ID which is used by the server on the DNAS crap. Simply won't work. Best guess is finding the discs. I think the OP has a working HDD so the worst part of the problem he already solved. Then a collection disc is perfect. SE only made the PS2 collection discs because people with back compatibility PS3s can use them.

Then wouldn't that stop a B/C PS3 from playing FFXI, if it's hard drive were upgraded?

Nope because the PS3 simulates the PS2 behavior internally. The simulated PS2 have no idea it's running from a SATA laptop harddrive.

My PS3 is a CECHB01 (20GB launch model) which I upgraded the HDD to 80GB and it has FFXI installed and working.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
Server: Ramuh
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-09-21 18:36:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kaioshin said:
no i meant sealed ps2 vanadiel collection 2008
you don't need a sealed version I don't think.
as long as it's the actual ps2 disc you should be able to install it fine :/
with what has been previously mentioned in mind ^^