Camera Control Issues
 Bahamut.Moehre
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: moehre
By Bahamut.Moehre 2010-09-15 06:49:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi everyone!

I have been quite eager about FFXIV for quite some time. Till I tried out the Beta Version and kinda panicked.

I am having huge problems with camera control. The default setting demands the use of both keyboard and mouse, and I have been unable to find a way to get the camera and character movement to get similiar to FFXI (as in click and drag, use of only one hand to move around, etc.)

I suffer from motion sickness, which is a (*** Sword) that does not allow me to enjoy most games I find thrilling in terms of graphics and storyline. And unfortunately the use of gamepad, which someone already suggested, does not help :(

I tried to lurk around FFXVI forum in search of a solution, but found none. Does anyone have any tips to share? Thank you!
 Odin.Karusan
Server: Odin
user: Karusan
By Odin.Karusan 2010-09-15 07:01:16
Link | Quote | Reply

You can't use up down left right to swing camera around, instead you need to use IJKL.

One of my friends tried it and just went and bought a controller instead (which I prefer) and he said it is way better.
 Carbuncle.Alessandra
Server: Carbuncle
user: Aless
By Carbuncle.Alessandra 2010-09-15 07:03:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I use "w a s d" to move my character.

The mouse right button to move the camera and sometimes "i j k l" i think those the camera ones. Seems pretty smooth.

Just remember, the better 14 can run on your machine, the better. The experience completely changes with each improvement.

I upgraded to windows 7 and reformatted my whole computer during the FF Beta. I was able to see and feel a HUGE difference, including mouse and keyboard movement!
 Asura.Teleniel
Server: Asura
user: Teleniel
By Asura.Teleniel 2010-09-15 07:06:16
Link | Quote | Reply

To adjust your camera (and other keyboard settings) you need to get to the config menu. With the default setup

num- key, to open the main menu.
arrow up/down, to scroll to configuration
arrow up/down, to get to keyboard
(you can use the mouse but if it's the software mouse I don't recommend it)

a heads up on this.

There are a few reserved keys (see the fourth tab), these include 1~0, arrow up/down/left/right and a few others.

you will need to delete what the key is bound to first, then you will be able to re-bind it to one of the other options.
myself I chose AWSD camera & num2/4/6/8 movement.
 Bahamut.Moehre
By Bahamut.Moehre 2010-09-15 07:07:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess a controler is a gamepad? I tried one of those after my ENM static hit their 10th consecutive week of making fun of me going up the mountain in Attowa Chasm with a mouse. I just can't get used to it ;_; I fail without a mouse ;_;

I was so happy when I tried FFXI and managed to play for longer than 1 hour without passing out... I hope I find a solution to FFXIV /cry
 Bahamut.Moehre
By Bahamut.Moehre 2010-09-15 07:10:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I really thank you guys for the tips on how to change the key settings... I guess there is actually no way to change the whole system itself?

My computer is fresh new, with only Assassin's Creed and FFXIV installed. It's basically a gaming computer, so things are actually quite smooth.

What freaks me out is the need to use the keys to change the camera view. This is the typical nightmare for someone with motion sickness ;_;