2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXIV » General » FFXIV - Win or Fail
FFXIV - Win or Fail
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 ... 13 14 15
By Flionheart 2010-09-12 01:25:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Also just an FYI I'm really tired so If I don't reply, check in the next 12 hours or so >.>
 Sylph.Cerilono
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Cerilono
By Sylph.Cerilono 2010-09-12 01:25:23
Link | Quote | Reply

The only problem I'm having is upgrading my gear and finding new story quests, if there are any. I should start experimenting on some sort of craft...
By Flionheart 2010-09-12 01:27:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Cerilono said:
The only problem I'm having is upgrading my gear and finding new story quests, if there are any. I should start experimenting on some sort of craft...

You get the next storyline mission @ 10 class rank.

And then I assume the next @ 20 class rank.
 Quetzalcoatl.Shirasoma
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Shirasoma
By Quetzalcoatl.Shirasoma 2010-09-12 01:27:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Flionheart said:
Quetzalcoatl.Shirasoma said:
Except that is not the only issue. Last I checked there were tons. Single them out, they're annoying, but you can deal with it. I'm guessing that's the point you're trying to make. But add all those little problems together, guess what you get? You get a huge a problem. Which is where I think a lot of this bitching is stemming from. People will *** about the game, saying it's the end of the world, when to people on the other side look at it as the little problems only, and not as a whole.

Tons? What exactly? Please I'm interested to hear what the gigantic plaguing issues are with XIV that's causing everyone to make out the game is the next Daikatana.

A lot of them were mentioned in this thread. And they've been beaten to death everywhere else on the internet. I'll list them but it's more than likely it will evolve into a arguments/counter-arguments type thing, much like this thread has been going. Kinda like this:

Argument: Technical problems, crashing, graphics unoptimization, UI lag , general lag.
Counter-argument: It's beta, it will get "fixed"

Argument: UI problems, targeting issues, slow equipment swaps
Counter-argument: FF11 was like this, use a controller, etc.

Argument: Lack of content, mobs not tuned, party mechanics not working well
Counter-argument: It's "beta"

Argument: Stat system punishing hybridization, leve limit, various gameplay related complaints
Counter-argument: That's how the game is, deal with it.

All in all it boils down to one side taking those problems, thinking they'll be fixed or whatnot, and then dealing with the rest and they'll go on their merry way. The other side will take those problems, see that they may or MAY not be even addressed, and subsequently cancel their preorder.

Dead horse.
[+]
By Flionheart 2010-09-12 01:32:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Again most UI problems can be put down to the lag of the beta.

As for the system... well it is what it is, at that point it's not going to get changed to your tastes so if that isn't your cup of tea then there is little point pointing out it out. XIV won't be the game for you in that case.

And lack of content is a really really epicly HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE complaint at beta stage.
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-09-12 01:33:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Halo 3 multiplayer beta only had 2 levels. Clearly the full game only had 2 levels, too.
[+]
 Sylph.Cerilono
By Sylph.Cerilono 2010-09-12 01:35:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Made my char; Fernon Kenov

I've added who I've seen before but no one is on so :/
By Flionheart 2010-09-12 01:36:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Cerilono said:
Made my char; Fernon Kenov

I've added who I've seen before but no one is on so :/

What town did you start in? I can probably come on rq to pearl you, but I'm going to bed soon.
 Quetzalcoatl.Shirasoma
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Shirasoma
By Quetzalcoatl.Shirasoma 2010-09-12 01:37:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Despite sounding like I hate the game I'm just playing devil's advocate. I see both sides of the story. I played 11, I'm more sympathetic to most issues. We're on a FF11 site of all things. But I realize not everyone else in the world shares this view. A lot of is baseless complaining. But a lot of it actually carries weight. I won't say I speak for a lot of us here, but we actually WANT this game to be successful, but based on what we have so far, we can't exactly expect the best.
 Sylph.Cerilono
By Sylph.Cerilono 2010-09-12 01:37:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Gridania yo
By Flionheart 2010-09-12 01:38:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Cerilono said:
Gridania yo

Ok, wait there I'll be in, in a sec
 Sylph.Cerilono
By Sylph.Cerilono 2010-09-12 01:46:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Haha game crashed right as I opened linkshell menu
 Ramuh.Thunderz
Server: Ramuh
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-09-12 01:50:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Content is what I want to hear from them. Leveling and crafting is not the only thing I want to do until they release endgame/stuff.

If they got nothing at launch then I guess ill just wait
By Flionheart 2010-09-12 01:51:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Cerilono said:
Haha game crashed right as I opened linkshell menu

Gridania is like a black-hole with my settings ; ;
 Phoenix.Avelle
Server: Phoenix
user: nuvas
By Phoenix.Avelle 2010-09-12 01:52:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Despite sounding like I hate the game I'm just playing devil's advocate. I see both sides of the story. I played 11, I'm more sympathetic to most issues. We're on a FF11 site of all things. But I realize not everyone else in the world shares this view. A lot of is baseless complaining. But a lot of it actually carries weight. I won't say I speak for a lot of us here, but we actually WANT this game to be successful, but based on what we have so far, we can't exactly expect the best.

This exactly. I want the game to do well, I want the SE team to accomplish whatever it is they want to accomplish. However I can definitely see some parallels in the design decisions between FFXI and FFXIV. Tabbing out of fullscreen FFXIV still crashes the game? Really? They didn't learn this was a problem in FFXI? Will it be like that during release? Who knows. Some might argue, but they added a "windowed" mode! Well sure, sort of. I guess they didn't realize that other game developers accomplished this without the annoying *** title bar at the top of the screen. I'm sure Flion will respond back by saying OH MY GOD THAT'S SO INSIGNIFICANT, but dismissing any complaint someone might have about the game no matter how small makes you seem like a rabid fanboy and that SE can do no wrong in your eyes.

Take one of the quotes someone brought up earlier in this thread from a recent interview:
Quote:
Q: In FFXIV, do you plan on letting players give each other linkshell invites from anywhere in the world or will it remain the same that players have to be in front of each other?

A: That's interesting. We'll get back to you on that. That's a very good point and we may have to add that!

He actually found the idea of inviting people into your linkshell without standing in front of them revolutionary. Something that has been accomplished by many, many MMO's long before FFXIV was even a thought. They create this vast world to explore but an idea like this escapes them? I'm amazed I could actually add someone to my friend's list without standing in front of them if this is the case. I understand the limitations in FFXI where you have to physically give a pearl to someone, but in FFXIV there's really no excuse here. To be absolutely clear, I'm not upset this option doesn't exist, I'm upset that they didn't even think about it. Things like this make me question SE's ability to grab a large portion of the NA MMO marketshare.
[+]
By Flionheart 2010-09-12 01:55:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Avelle said:

This exactly. I want the game to do well, I want the SE team to accomplish whatever it is they want to accomplish. However I can definitely see some parallels in the design decisions between FFXI and FFXIV. Tabbing out of fullscreen FFXIV still crashes the game? Really? They didn't learn this was a problem in FFXI? Will it be like that during release? Who knows. Some might argue, but they added a "windowed" mode! Well sure, sort of. I guess they didn't realize that other game developers accomplished this without the annoying *** title bar at the top of the screen. I'm sure Flion will respond back by saying OH MY GOD THAT'S SO INSIGNIFICANT, but dismissing any complaint someone might have about the game no matter how small makes you seem like a rabid fanboy and that SE can do no wrong in your eyes.

Take one of the quotes someone brought up earlier in this thread from a recent interview:
Quote:
Q: In FFXIV, do you plan on letting players give each other linkshell invites from anywhere in the world or will it remain the same that players have to be in front of each other?

A: That's interesting. We'll get back to you on that. That's a very good point and we may have to add that!

He actually found the idea of inviting people into your linkshell without standing in front of them revolutionary. Something that has been accomplished by many, many MMO's long before FFXIV was even a thought. They create this vast world to explore but an idea like this escapes them? I'm amazed I could actually add someone to my friend's list without standing in front of them if this is the case. I understand the limitations in FFXI where you have to physically give a pearl to someone, but in FFXIV there's really no excuse here. To be absolutely clear, I'm not upset this option doesn't exist, I'm upset that they didn't even think about it. Things like this make me question SE's ability to grab a large portion of the NA MMO marketshare.

How about this: Wait until retail is out before you start picking apart pointless things.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
Server: Ramuh
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-09-12 01:55:55
Link | Quote | Reply

And we know this by experiencing ***like this with SE previously.
fool me once..
 Phoenix.Avelle
By Phoenix.Avelle 2010-09-12 02:05:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Avelle said:

Quote:

How about this: Wait until retail is out before you start picking apart pointless things.

No. :P I'm going to judge the game as it is developed. I don't sit here and think about what might be, I consider what is right in front of me. As it stands the game has potential but there are a number of things that obviously concern people, otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion. Will they get fixed by release? You seem to think they will but in the end it's all speculation. No matter how many times you rush to point out "it's beta," you still ultimately have no idea whether or not ***will be fixed by release or not.
[+]
By Flionheart 2010-09-12 02:08:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Avelle said:
Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Avelle said:

Quote:

No. :P I'm going to judge the game as it is developed. I don't sit here and think about what might be, I consider what is right in front of me. As it stands the game has potential but there are a number of things that obviously concern people, otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion. Will they get fixed by release? You seem to think they will but in the end it's all speculation. No matter how many times you rush to point out "it's beta," you still ultimately have no idea whether or not ***will be fixed by release or not.

And neither do you. I suppose it comes down the fact that you're an optimist or a pessimist.

I'm an optimist, so I'll be optimistic :).
 Phoenix.Avelle
By Phoenix.Avelle 2010-09-12 02:09:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Avelle said:
Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Avelle said:

Quote:

And neither do you. I suppose it comes down the fact that you're an optimist or a pessimist.

You're supposed to leave me with something to respond to so I can argue on the internet rather than work on statistics homework.
By Flionheart 2010-09-12 02:10:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Avelle said:
Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Avelle said:
Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Avelle said:

Quote:

You're supposed to leave me with something to respond to so I can argue on the internet rather than work on statistics homework.

It's 8am >.> I've been up for 24 hours straight as of 5 minutes ago.

I'm basically awake on caffeine and loud music at this point ; ;
 Phoenix.Authority
user: Authority
By Phoenix.Authority 2010-09-12 21:11:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Avelle said:

Quote:

People can complain all they want but 90% will most likely buy it anyways. I know I will, because I'm honestly the most excited to see what is added to the game over time - kind of like how watching FFXI, even after quitting, can be interesting.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-09-12 21:12:08
Link | Quote | Reply

its a win, and a fail.
 Cerberus.Kalyna
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Kalyna 2010-09-12 21:25:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I would say more win than FFXI =)
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-09-12 21:37:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Win

Will be a much bigger win once it's complete with plenty of quests and stuff to do...
[+]
By Paprika 2010-09-13 00:42:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Flionheart - do you still have room in your LS on Trabia? :3

To the actual threadtopic- I really, really HATED the beta at first, and actually went to cancel my collector's ed. preorder, but couldn't decide what to put the money (I'd forgotten I'd done it with trade in credit) on so I left it. Glad I did, as I gave it a second chance and it's really grown on me.

As someone who doesn't have the time to grind nonstop for hours without it making a serious dent in my GPA, I appreciate the current leve system, although I do agree that getting a fail when the game crashes is really annoying. I think maybe if instead of having a 48 hour timer, it had a 24 hour one (similar to WoW's 'daily' quests) it would be just peachy! :)

To those pissed about the leves being dropped on DC/game crash, god would you hate Aion's new 2.0 edition. It added single player instances...where if you DC or die, you have to wait the full 24 hours to re-enter. God forbid you need the wep/armor it drops to progress. And that's not in beta, that's in the full game. Suckage.

As to the lack of AH- I haven't been to the player vendor zone yet but it sounds nightmarishly like Maplestory. Hopefully they'll implement a search option, because right now it sounds like a huge headache. I don't think the system they have is sustainable though, so I'm confident they'll be forced to alter it, or scrap it completely, good intentions or no.

Overall, I'd recommend the game, but preface that with warnings about it being a little buggy/slow sometimes. Nothing a few months worth of patching couldn't fix, certainly.
By Flionheart 2010-09-13 00:46:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Paprika said:
Flionheart - do you still have room in your LS on Trabia? :3

To the actual threadtopic- I really, really HATED the beta at first, and actually went to cancel my collector's ed. preorder, but couldn't decide what to put the money (I'd forgotten I'd done it with trade in credit) on so I left it. Glad I did, as I gave it a second chance and it's really grown on me.

As someone who doesn't have the time to grind nonstop for hours without it making a serious dent in my GPA, I appreciate the current leve system, although I do agree that getting a fail when the game crashes is really annoying. I think maybe if instead of having a 48 hour timer, it had a 24 hour one (similar to WoW's 'daily' quests) it would be just peachy! :)

To those pissed about the leves being dropped on DC/game crash, god would you hate Aion's new 2.0 edition. It added single player instances...where if you DC or die, you have to wait the full 24 hours to re-enter. God forbid you need the wep/armor it drops to progress. And that's not in beta, that's in the full game. Suckage.

As to the lack of AH- I haven't been to the player vendor zone yet but it sounds nightmarishly like Maplestory. Hopefully they'll implement a search option, because right now it sounds like a huge headache. I don't think the system they have is sustainable though, so I'm confident they'll be forced to alter it, or scrap it completely, good intentions or no.

Overall, I'd recommend the game, but preface that with warnings about it being a little buggy/slow sometimes. Nothing a few months worth of patching couldn't fix, certainly.

We do, though I'm currently not on check out http://tehkrizz.net/names.asp and speak to someone to get a pearl ^^
 Lakshmi.Galathea
Server: Lakshmi
user: Galatea
By Lakshmi.Galathea 2010-09-13 01:02:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kalyna said:
I would say more win than FFXI =)
This+1^

Also:
I think I am one of the extremely few that is not crashing at all.
Graphics aren't super high, but higher than the default.
I experience the same character loading lag that FFXI has (all MMO?).
I've witnessed a few glitches or grammatical/spelling/coding issues, but very awesome for a near complete game.

I'm very impressed at how they implemented a challenge into crafting, logging, mining etc., instead of making it 100% random.

I'm Epic Failure on Figaro for those of you needing a social event shell.
 Phoenix.Authority
user: Authority
By Phoenix.Authority 2010-09-13 14:14:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I would like to point out, that while there is most definitely logic in waiting for release and a few patches after release to determine the quality of the game, keep in mind that a majority of people are impulsive, require instant gratification, and are most likely going to drop it in the first month if release doesn't go well.

Most people don't have the patience, and while there are a few who think that we should give it time, and I agree, success is determined by numbers. I see a lot of negative threads pop up all over the place, not just these forums. Lets hope that SE can adjust the problems that the Regular Joe is complaining about since we all know Regular Joe has ADD.
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-09-13 14:50:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Authority said:
I would like to point out, that while there is most definitely logic in waiting for release and a few patches after release to determine the quality of the game, keep in mind that a majority of people are impulsive, require instant gratification, and are most likely going to drop it in the first month if release doesn't go well.

Most people don't have the patience, and while there are a few who think that we should give it time, and I agree, success is determined by numbers. I see a lot of negative threads pop up all over the place, not just these forums. Lets hope that SE can adjust the problems that the Regular Joe is complaining about since we all know Regular Joe has ADD.
The way I see it, this is an MMORPG, with that genre of game comes inherent patience required, for everything, including getting content and such.

If you want a massive game complete with endless stuff to do right when it comes out, good luck with that.. Have patience, the game will grow and evolve and to me, what I've seen so far is already justification enough to invest time and money into it, and it will only get better as time goes on.

If you have no patience, then stick to FPS or Adventure games, if you're after instant gratification and fulfillment, stick to FPS or Adventure.. If you're into a game that grows as you do and are ready to wait it out and be patient, I invite you to the world of MMORPG's.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 ... 13 14 15