Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Belmonth
By Sylph.Belmonth 2010-09-11 19:09:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Avelle said:
Sylph.Belmonth said:
Artemicion said:
Actually, based on some performance testing I hear it is the other way around. The software isn't taking advantage of GPU power, but rather centralizes intensity on CPU use, thus making it difficult for many PC owners despite having really awesome video card.

It isn't posible that I run that I have a second computer, with the following specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz @3.0ghz
4GB RAM
ATI 4770 512MB (One card, not even two)

And I'm able to run the game with the following options:

Full Screen
4x MSAA
Buffer Size: Resolution
Shadow Detail: Standard
Texture Quality: High
Texture Filtering: Highest
Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050

And I get around 40FPS when I'm at the adventurer's guild in town and it's crowded and a stable 60FPS when outside.

I run a Core i7 920 with 6gigs of Corsair Dominator memory and a Sapphire Radeon 5870 Vaporx 1gb card and the game uses all my gpu power outside of town and I get 60fps, but the second I step inside town its 50-60% and I suddenly get fps in the 20s. My settings are identical to yours except I run 1920x1200 and no AA. This is obviously a bottleneck issue and not optimization right? :P

Does your video card have the last drivers? are all your other drivers updated?
Are you using a branded PSU?
Assuming your CPU is running on stock, which would be 2.6Ghz, your videocard is already on bottleneck. I encourage you to google what bottleneck means and what are the signs of bottleneck.
 Sylph.Belmonth
By Sylph.Belmonth 2010-09-11 19:10:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Zekko said:
Are you guys playing the same Beta as me? :/ The game sucks in comparison to ffxi -.-

Did you play FFXI at least at NA release? It have a crapload of issues, it took months or a year to shape up well, it's dumb to compare a 6+ years old game to a beta.
By Flionheart 2010-09-11 19:10:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Zekko said:
Are you guys playing the same Beta as me? :/ The game sucks in comparison to ffxi -.-

So you're comparing a beta to a game that's been out for 7 years?

Just making sure I'm clear on this.

Things you can't judge from a beta:

1) Economy
2) End-game
3) Class balance
[+]
 Midgardsormr.Renala
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Renala
By Midgardsormr.Renala 2010-09-11 19:11:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Saying open beta = whats going to be in at launch is stupid. I'm sorry, but thats as nice as I can put it.

Picture this for a second:

FFXI beta. Ok guys, we're going to have level 1-99 right off the bat, every endgame, every HNM, every peice of gear in, Einhjar, Dynamys(sp), every job, spell, JA, you don't need to stop to level your subs because we're going to give them to you for no apparent reason, armor is sent to you not made or in any way shape or form attempted to be gotten. Oh, and to put a cherry on top, You can play it all free for as long as you wish. Have fun.

Yup. They'll sell a ton since everyone will have done everything there is to be seen in beta.
 Bahamut.Stanflame
Server: Bahamut
user: Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2010-09-11 19:12:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Belmonth said:
Zekko said:

Did you play FFXI at least at NA release? It have a crapload of issues, it took months or a year to shape up well, it's dumb to compare a 6+ years old game to a beta.
By Zekko 2010-09-11 19:17:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Belmonth said:
Zekko said:

Prehaps you're right slightly but in todays mmo market content counts and SE rushing this game isnt good. Lets look at good examples:

AoC: Pretty good leveling system, "ok" dungeon/instance system NO ENDGAME. Game died about 2 months after release. It runs on a dedicated fanbase of less than 10k now(it had a starting number of about 700k)

WAR: Average leveling system, "ok" quests/instance/sharing hunt system, "ok" Battlegrounds, LITTLE TO NO ENDGAME. Game has about 5 servers at 2k pop the rest have less than 500.

So ok its silly comparing a new game to those that have been out for ages E.G. WoW(lol) But at the current state of FFXIV it just wont appeal to people. BESIDES players of FFXI.
By Flionheart 2010-09-11 19:19:37
Link | Quote | Reply

XI had little to no endgame at release.
By Zekko 2010-09-11 19:21:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Flionheart said:

Well i have no idea how it managed to do so well ;)
By Flionheart 2010-09-11 19:21:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Endgame is needed eventually, but not at release.
By Flionheart 2010-09-11 19:22:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Zekko said:
Flionheart said:

Well i have no idea how it managed to do so well ;)

Because Endgame was made by the players. Endgame consisted of killing the HNM at the time like Roc and Simurgh. It didn't need an event, just hard enemies to camp.

XIV will be the same.
 Sylph.Belmonth
By Sylph.Belmonth 2010-09-11 19:22:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Zekko said:
Sylph.Belmonth said:
Zekko said:

Prehaps you're right slightly but in todays mmo market content counts and SE rushing this game isnt good. Lets look at good examples:

AoC: Pretty good leveling system, "ok" dungeon/instance system NO ENDGAME. Game died about 2 months after release. It runs on a dedicated fanbase of less than 10k now(it had a starting number of about 700k)

WAR: Average leveling system, "ok" quests/instance/sharing hunt system, "ok" Battlegrounds, LITTLE TO NO ENDGAME. Game has about 5 servers at 2k pop the rest have less than 500.

So ok its silly comparing a new game to those that have been out for ages E.G. WoW(lol) But at the current state of FFXIV it just wont appeal to people. BESIDES players of FFXI.

You did know that most of the content is locked on the beta right? and not just missions and leves. They said themselves that the content on the beta was very limited and closed. We'll see to what extent that is true.
By Zekko 2010-09-11 19:23:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Belmonth said:
Zekko said:
Sylph.Belmonth said:
Zekko said:

You did know that most of the content is locked on the beta right? and not just missions and leves. They said themselves that the content on the beta was very limited and closed.

Yes i know that content is locked. That's my only hope that the game will be playable for me. Hopefully Quests and missions will give EXP.
 Phoenix.Avelle
Server: Phoenix
user: nuvas
By Phoenix.Avelle 2010-09-11 19:26:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Midgardsormr.Renala said:
Phoenix.Authority said:
I know its only a beta and it might change at release
Artemicion said:
On a side note:
The beta is simply too buggy and merely serves as a peephole as to what reflects the final release. (God, I hope so)
Though you may certainly get a "feel" for how FFXIV will be when it is released. But alas, as with any online game, content and functions will change, and as a result so will the game as a whole. For the past 7-8 years FFXI updates have been slow and steady, mediocre yet generous, but as of late have been as benevolent as Santa Claus on ecstasy, dramatically changing the overall direction of the game.

So we'll have to see what XIV has to offer from the start, and what direction subsequent updates will move it.
Lakshmi.Septroth said:
the mouse controls kind of kill it for me and how you cant put the camera controls on the arrow keys easily I tried to change the keyboard controls and it wouldn't let me take the camera off IJKL

First quote: Simple enough, and what means the most from it. Thank you for knowing the main thing to keep in mind.

Second quote: About same concept. They maybe giving the basics at launch, and add stuff in like with ffxi to makeit last along time, instead of everything at launc so everyone played it, gets everything capped, gets bored and quits.

Last quote: I hate people who complain about keyboard/clicking. If you don't like being a clicker/typer, get a cpu controler. They only cost like, 10-20bucks, and then allow you to move and control camera, and even type at the same time.. They intended FFXIV to be CONTROLLER and thats why tons apon tons of people have been complaining about the keyboard/mounce controls. (Personal experience was a friend was playing beta, and was trying to use keyboard/mouse, she said she thinks she would need 7 hands to play it that way. She plugged in a controler, and everything became easy.)

Can you provide a quote to where developers say they intended PC players to not play the game with anything other than a controller? I'm using a controller right now because they seem too inept to implement a decent control scheme but I would certainly like to at least use similar keyboard controls to FFXI.
By Flionheart 2010-09-11 19:28:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Avelle said:
Phoenix.Authority said:
I know its only a beta and it might change at release
Artemicion said:
On a side note:
The beta is simply too buggy and merely serves as a peephole as to what reflects the final release. (God, I hope so)
Though you may certainly get a "feel" for how FFXIV will be when it is released. But alas, as with any online game, content and functions will change, and as a result so will the game as a whole. For the past 7-8 years FFXI updates have been slow and steady, mediocre yet generous, but as of late have been as benevolent as Santa Claus on ecstasy, dramatically changing the overall direction of the game.

So we'll have to see what XIV has to offer from the start, and what direction subsequent updates will move it.
Lakshmi.Septroth said:
the mouse controls kind of kill it for me and how you cant put the camera controls on the arrow keys easily I tried to change the keyboard controls and it wouldn't let me take the camera off IJKL

First quote: Simple enough, and what means the most from it. Thank you for knowing the main thing to keep in mind.

Second quote: About same concept. They maybe giving the basics at launch, and add stuff in like with ffxi to makeit last along time, instead of everything at launc so everyone played it, gets everything capped, gets bored and quits.

Last quote: I hate people who complain about keyboard/clicking. If you don't like being a clicker/typer, get a cpu controler. They only cost like, 10-20bucks, and then allow you to move and control camera, and even type at the same time.. They intended FFXIV to be CONTROLLER and thats why tons apon tons of people have been complaining about the keyboard/mounce controls. (Personal experience was a friend was playing beta, and was trying to use keyboard/mouse, she said she thinks she would need 7 hands to play it that way. She plugged in a controler, and everything became easy.)

Can you provide a quote to where developers say they intended PC players to not play the game with anything other than a controller? I'm using a controller right now because they seem too inept to implement a decent control scheme but I would certainly like to at least use similar keyboard controls to FFXI.

They already allow you to get to the configuration menu, just not edit any keys yet.

I don't know why people are complaining so much about the control scheme in XIV. I use the numpad to move and the mouse to move the camera. It comes down to personal preference but I don't see the big issue here.

I suppose in retail it won't matter due to XIV having a configuration menu.
 Phoenix.Avelle
By Phoenix.Avelle 2010-09-11 19:36:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Belmonth said:
Phoenix.Avelle said:
Sylph.Belmonth said:
Artemicion said:
Actually, based on some performance testing I hear it is the other way around. The software isn't taking advantage of GPU power, but rather centralizes intensity on CPU use, thus making it difficult for many PC owners despite having really awesome video card.

It isn't posible that I run that I have a second computer, with the following specs:

4GB RAM

Full Screen
4x MSAA

And I get around 40FPS when I'm at the adventurer's guild in town and it's crowded and a stable 60FPS when outside.

I run a Core i7 920 with 6gigs of Corsair Dominator memory and a Sapphire Radeon 5870 Vaporx 1gb card and the game uses all my gpu power outside of town and I get 60fps, but the second I step inside town its 50-60% and I suddenly get fps in the 20s. My settings are identical to yours except I run 1920x1200 and no AA. This is obviously a bottleneck issue and not optimization right? :P

Assuming your CPU is running on stock, which would be 2.6Ghz, your videocard is already on bottleneck. I encourage you to google what bottleneck means and what are the signs of bottleneck.

Yes, I'm actually pretty experienced with building computers in general, I don't use cheap parts and I'm aware of how to keep my drivers updated. Can you explain why my GPU usage is 99% out in the field but 50-60% in town and how a PC like yours is somehow outperforming mine? Should I list out all of my components by spec and brand before you'll believe me that this game isn't fully optimized yet? I'm also aware that technically my CPU is the bottleneck in my system, but not so much so that I should get outperformed by someone using a Core2Duo and a 4770.
 Midgardsormr.Renala
By Midgardsormr.Renala 2010-09-11 19:39:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Avelle said:

Don't know a quote for that, But if you think about it, They say there launching it for ps3. Ps3 is controller main, just like how they released ffxi on ps2 and ps2 was controller main, and controller made 11 easier. I don't think they've said it anywhere that they intended both games to be used with a cpu controller, But, Its my assumption. I did read a quote from a dev about how NA players in aplha/beta(one of them) that players were complaining about mouse/keyboard controls, but JA players weren't because likely JA use controllers. I'll look for that, But no guarantee's.
Flionheart said:

They already allow you to get to the configuration menu, just not edit any keys yet.

At that, Its likely to prevent people from changing it and then complaining about something, keeping everyone with same controls to make communications over bugs or sort of movement/camera easier to deal with? Not sure
 Sylph.Belmonth
By Sylph.Belmonth 2010-09-11 19:41:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Avelle said:
Sylph.Belmonth said:
Phoenix.Avelle said:
Sylph.Belmonth said:
Artemicion said:

4GB RAM

Full Screen
4x MSAA

Yes, I'm actually pretty experienced with building computers in general, I don't use cheap parts and I'm aware of how to keep my drivers updated. Can you explain why my GPU usage is 99% out in the field but 50-60% in town and how a PC like yours is somehow outperforming mine? Should I list out all of my components by spec and brand before you'll believe me that this game isn't fully optimized yet? I'm also aware that technically my CPU is the bottleneck in my system, but not so much so that I should get outperformed by someone using a Core2Duo and a 4770.

Do you have Ambient Occlusion checked?
Do you have Depth of Field checked?

By Flionheart 2010-09-11 19:41:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Avelle said:

Don't know a quote for that, But if you think about it, They say there launching it for ps3. Ps3 is controller main, just like how they released ffxi on ps2 and ps2 was controller main, and controller made 11 easier. I don't think they've said it anywhere that they intended both games to be used with a cpu controller, But, Its my assumption. I did read a quote from a dev about how NA players in aplha/beta(one of them) that players were complaining about mouse/keyboard controls, but JA players weren't because likely JA use controllers. I'll look for that, But no guarantee's.
Flionheart said:

At that, Its likely to prevent people from changing it and then complaining about something, keeping everyone with same controls to make communications over bugs or sort of movement/camera easier to deal with? Not sure

That's why I'd assume. They're showing the configuration menu to let people know that it will be customisable in retail, but to iron out bugs they need to generally have the same keys for everything. Only thing I'll be changing is arrows for camera.

Controller is completely customisable but I hate using a controller in most PC games.
By Flionheart 2010-09-11 19:42:05
Link | Quote | Reply

You know what's weird? Ambient Occlusion didn't really cut my FPS, just gave me huge input lag for some reason.
 Phoenix.Avelle
By Phoenix.Avelle 2010-09-11 19:48:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Belmonth said:
Phoenix.Avelle said:
Sylph.Belmonth said:
Phoenix.Avelle said:
Sylph.Belmonth said:
Artemicion said:

4GB RAM

Full Screen
4x MSAA

Do you have Ambient Occlusion checked?
Do you have Depth of Field checked?

I do run DoF but not AO. I have played with both DoF on and off and both have yielded similar fps and gpu usage in similar situations.
 Midgardsormr.Renala
By Midgardsormr.Renala 2010-09-11 19:51:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Avelle said:

Flionheart said:

That's why I'd assume. They're showing the configuration menu to let people know that it will be customisable in retail, but to iron out bugs they need to generally have the same keys for everything. Only thing I'll be changing is arrows for camera.

Controller is completely customisable but I hate using a controller in most PC games.

I'm kinda going to be winging my settings for my controller, Since there isn't ps3 at launch to mimic with my cpu controller XD. I may set it up to how ffxi is, since its about the same.. well not really, But at least camera controls and sort. Anyone have some beta insight about using a controller that'd be willing to share in here or pm me? Or maybe it programs it automaticly(I would <3 SE if they did that ;_;)
 Sylph.Belmonth
By Sylph.Belmonth 2010-09-11 19:52:50
Link | Quote | Reply

By the way, my main computer has the following specs:

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz @3.7Ghz
G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB in total
2xRadeon HD 5970
7200RPM WD HDD (another fact that people seems to be unknown that hard drive speed might cause FPS drops and stutter if it's slow when it has to constantly load)

I would agree if you said you have a crossfire or sli and have performance issues, because I get better performance with only one card than on crossfire.
But even so with one card I'm able to run the game with everything on max, with 0 FPS drops and a stable 60FPS and I play it on my 1080p HDTV.
While on crossfire I get tons of hicups and stutter.
 Ramuh.Tousou
Server: Ramuh
user: Toufu
By Ramuh.Tousou 2010-09-11 19:56:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Auction House Anyone?

(The Video is in English)

Short Version
By Zekko 2010-09-11 20:04:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Belmonth said:

2xRadeon HD 5970
7200RPM WD HDD (another fact that people seems to be unknown that hard drive speed might cause FPS drops and stutter if it's slow when it has to constantly load)

I would agree if you said you have a crossfire or sli and have performance issues, because I get better performance with only one card than on crossfire.
But even so with one card I'm able to run the game with everything on max, with 0 FPS drops and a stable 60FPS and I play it on my 1080p HDTV.

Whats better x2 5870s or x2 5970s?
 Sylph.Belmonth
By Sylph.Belmonth 2010-09-11 20:06:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Zekko said:
Sylph.Belmonth said:

2xRadeon HD 5970

Whats better x2 5870s or x2 5970s?

Two 5870 = one 5970

My 5970 isn't overclocked.

It should be noted though, that the 5970 is very powerhungry.
 Phoenix.Avelle
By Phoenix.Avelle 2010-09-11 20:11:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Tousou said:
Auction House Anyone?

(The Video is in English)

Short Version

Seems like they really don't want to add the feature, which is a shame considering the market wards system is absolutely terrible. Hey guys, we're going to create this unsearchable market system where you have to check 400 people through our terribly slow and awkward interface just to find an item because we believe it is a more immersive experience. Sweet thanks guys!
 Ramuh.Tousou
Server: Ramuh
user: Toufu
By Ramuh.Tousou 2010-09-11 20:12:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Some more
Quote:

Regarding auctionhouses:

Regarding Final Fantasy XIV and the market battle system is something we would like to consider the equilevent to the auction house we had in Final Fantasy XI. Only that you'll also be able to fix your equipment and things like that. It is something we really want people to enjoy. Also after the release of the game we will see how it goes and for example find out what kind of search options players will want and need and improve the situation. We don't really want to introduce the auctionhouse from the beginning because that is going to determine the economy system. So we want to improve it slowly and adjust it accordingly.

:: Sorry if any of these have been posted. I figured since the AH was a big thing people bitched about, it'd be here, too.

Still looking for more...

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Midgardsormr.Renala
By Midgardsormr.Renala 2010-09-11 20:21:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Tousou said:
Some more
Quote:

Regarding auctionhouses:

Regarding Final Fantasy XIV and the market battle system is something we would like to consider the equilevent to the auction house we had in Final Fantasy XI. Only that you'll also be able to fix your equipment and things like that. It is something we really want people to enjoy. Also after the release of the game we will see how it goes and for example find out what kind of search options players will want and need and improve the situation. We don't really want to introduce the auctionhouse from the beginning because that is going to determine the economy system. So we want to improve it slowly and adjust it accordingly.

:: Sorry if any of these have been posted. I figured since the AH was a big thing people bitched about, it'd be here, too.

Watched the video about the no AH at launch thing, and I acually understand why there doing it. Its not to force people to lag and search.. well in a way it is, But thats not the point. They added a ton of zones trying to spread people out, but people love to clump up in one area(Ex: rolanmart/uppermart). I don't think they intended for the clumping, but rather, a smoother search system and determine the price without the easy function of a few clicks to see sale-history.

Basically, they want us to set the price on items before they'll add an AH is what I got from it.
 Phoenix.Avelle
By Phoenix.Avelle 2010-09-11 20:24:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Tousou said:
Some more
Quote:

Regarding auctionhouses:

Watched the video about the no AH at launch thing, and I acually understand why there doing it. Its not to force people to lag and search.. well in a way it is, But thats not the point. They added a ton of zones trying to spread people out, but people love to clump up in one area(Ex: rolanmart/uppermart). I don't think they intended for the clumping, but rather, a smoother search system and determine the price without the easy function of a few clicks to see sale-history.

Basically, they want us to set the price on items before they'll add an AH is what I got from it.

People clumping together is actually a GOOD thing in this system. Do you really want to scan each market ward for items? Hint: There's pages of market wards areas to teleport to.
First Page 2 3 4 ... 13 14 15