God Did Not Create The Universe, Says Hawking

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » God did not create the universe, says Hawking
God did not create the universe, says Hawking
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 ... 38 39 40

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
By Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury 2010-09-02 20:18:51
Link | Quote | Reply

EtienneLoire said:
Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury said:
EtienneLoire said:
If we traveled that far back into the past we would die instantly.

I'm sure god wouldn't be that cruel.

You do know that once upon a time, the planet was inhabitable for life?

Yes of course I do. But if god existed, shouldn't it save you from that inhabitable planet?
 Phoenix.Darki
Server: Phoenix
user: Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-02 20:19:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Saiii said:
Phoenix.Darki said:
If god exists 'outside' this universe, then he can't be material like we are, and he is at the same level of our thoughts....

If "God" exists, the explanation I gave above, should answer your question.
Basicly you're saying he isn't real in no way shape or form
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-02 20:20:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Saiii said:
Phoenix.Darki said:
If god exists 'outside' this universe, then he can't be material like we are, and he is at the same level of our thoughts....

Saiii said:
Yes, it is based completely off opinion and thought.

But aren't these concepts not equally as important to our lives as those of science and observation?

At a deeper level, would this not be required to explain the "Free-Will" paradox in the christian belief system?

I'm sorry, but "thoughts" are a series of chemical and electrical reactions in cased inside a human organ called a brain.
maybe he will realize it soon... let him sleep on it
By EtienneLoire 2010-09-02 20:20:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Saiii said:
EtienneLoire said:
EtienneLoire said:

If one were to build a magical time machine phone booth, I'm sure it would be equipped with life support.

Flame proof with a cooling system? what about the pressure >_>?
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-09-02 20:20:41
Link | Quote | Reply

EtienneLoire said:
EtienneLoire said:

Yes of course I do. But if god existed, shouldn't it save you from that inhabitable planet?

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-09-02 20:21:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Saiii said:
Just simply that, just because many stupid people believe one thing, that doesn't automatically make the belief stupid or that all those who believe it are by association stupid also.
Nor was that my implication. Very dear scientific friends of mine, who are light years more intelligent than myself, are believers. So are some of our admins! I wish them well of it.

I am willing to accept faith. That it's important to people. And I don't agree with atheists who sit around attempting to destroy other people's faith. It's their own beliefs, in their own head. As long as it's not harming you, why should you care?

But this argument is not reflective. All major faiths claim an exclusive license on universal truth. By nature of this universal claim, they are incapable of saying their beliefs do not apply to atheists as well.

And there's the conundrum.
[+]
By Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury 2010-09-02 20:21:37
Link | Quote | Reply

EtienneLoire said:

God will wrap his almighty hands around your blue phone booth and protect you from the vacuum of space.
By EtienneLoire 2010-09-02 20:21:50
Link | Quote | Reply

EtienneLoire said:
EtienneLoire said:

That has nothing to do with god existing if "it does" what ever it is.

But if I die and get to meet what ever it is that welcomes me so be it, I will accept it.
By Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury 2010-09-02 20:22:19
Link | Quote | Reply

If Adam and Eve were here first. They were eaten by dinosaurs.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-09-02 20:22:51
Link | Quote | Reply

EtienneLoire said:
EtienneLoire said:
EtienneLoire said:

That has nothing to do with god existing if "it does" what ever it is.

But if I die and get to meet what ever it is that welcomes me so be it, I will accept it.

Through the logic of Christianity, seeing as you're not an avid believer you'll go to hell.
By Randomguy 2010-09-02 20:22:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Ever think that the concept of God as a good thing?

Yeah, bad things have happened by religion, but was it religion that caused those bad things? Some yes, but most of it was who was in power and religion was the best excuse.

King: Hey everyone, lets go conquer that country.
Knights: Why?
King: Cause they made fun of our God. They also don't believe in our God and we must correct them by force, because that is our God given right.

Now, I pointed out the negative things about religion, but there is also a flipside to this little coin.

Charity, education (up until the Martin Luther "revolution") and laws were created by religion. Charity in the name of religion is still the single biggest non-corporate contribution to poor people in the world. Even some corps contribute in the name of a religion.

Don't forget that laws were created based by religion. Thou shall not steal, Thou shall not kill, Thou shall not *** with thy neighbor's wife.....screw that last one. There have been a lot of laws that came from the basic principles of religion.

Is there a God? Who knows. Does it matter? Not really. Should we abolish all religion if God is proven to not exist? No, because let the believers believe. Until they force it on me, then I'll just whack them with a shovel.
 Shiva.Daimos
user: Daimos
By Shiva.Daimos 2010-09-02 20:23:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow 8 pages and this isn't locked? Am I in the right place??
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-02 20:23:25
Link | Quote | Reply

If Adam and Eve were here first. They were eaten by dinosaurs.
god protected them
By EtienneLoire 2010-09-02 20:23:34
Link | Quote | Reply

EtienneLoire said:

God will wrap his almighty hands around your blue phone booth and protect you from the vacuum of space.

Ok so create a time machine space ship would be a better idea then go back in time in outer space rather than the planet to watch what is going on.

Use a invisible clock to see if space ships landed on the planet, pretty much.
By Randomguy 2010-09-02 20:24:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Daimos said:
I don't think people have really shitted on the topic yet.
By Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury 2010-09-02 20:24:15
Link | Quote | Reply

EtienneLoire said:

I'm sure you're well aware of what happens when you sleep.

Death is just something you don't wake up from. Hence, there's no where to go. Except 6 feet under, if you elect burial, a crematory if you elect cremation or decomposition if you elect to be left there.
By EtienneLoire 2010-09-02 20:24:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok for the bible people, all you need to do is really find Noah's arc so this can be put to a end.

Shiva.Daimos
user: Daimos
By Shiva.Daimos 2010-09-02 20:24:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Randomguy said:
Shiva.Daimos said:
I don't think people have really shitted on the topic yet.
Haha, just surprised, carry on~
 Leviathan.Dissonant
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Dissonant 2010-09-02 20:24:47
Link | Quote | Reply

EtienneLoire said:
It still is "inhabitable" :)
By Saiii 2010-09-02 20:24:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Saiii said:
Phoenix.Darki said:

Saiii said:

But aren't these concepts not equally as important to our lives as those of science and observation?

At a deeper level, would this not be required to explain the "Free-Will" paradox in the christian belief system?

I'm sorry, but "thoughts" are a series of chemical and electrical reactions in cased inside a human organ called a brain.

I don't think anyone would argue on that point.

It seems your responses, pretty much go with the statement that I made earlier.

That any "proof" and I use that word loosely here, that a believer can give for "God" is simply rejected as not being good enough.

Is it not the perfect way to reveal oneself though? Through subjective experience. In this way, you would be able to "prove" yourself 100% to one person with out hindering the free will of anyone else.
 Caitsith.Silvaria
Server: Caitsith
By Caitsith.Silvaria 2010-09-02 20:25:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Saiii said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Saiii said:
Considering this, it those who don't believe in "God" would do better to stop asking for objective proof when they know it does not exist.
If one is self-admittedly unwilling or unable to furnish objective proof, that's fine. Let people believe whatever they want.

But once you've admitted that, you shouldn't be able to then volunteer those same beliefs as an objective basis for society or laws.

We have this huge disconnect, here. If I said "God says Saiii shot JFK, and I can't prove it and never will be able to, because it's God" you would think I'm insane. Without a human judge, a human jury, and human standards of objective proof, there's no way.

But if I say "God said that gay folks shouldn't marry," for some reason this serves as a completely rational basis for human law.

It's completely nuts. The standards of proof are all over the map, and aren't even consistent within believers' own heads.

No one ever said that the majority of those who believe in "God" aren't complete morons.

Just simply that, just because many stupid people believe one thing, that doesn't automatically make the belief stupid or that all those who believe it are by association stupid also.

This is a perfect example of a strawman logical fallacy. Nowhere in Jaerik's post did he state that just because many stupid people believe something, the belief itself automatically becomes stupid, and that ALL those who believe in it are stupid by association.

He was saying that the standards by which people choose to believe "God wants this" versus "God wants that" is inconsistent.
By Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury 2010-09-02 20:25:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm dropping the time travel discussion since it is not possible.
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-02 20:26:47
Link | Quote | Reply

drop the time travel discussion since it is not possible.

Post deleted by User.
By EtienneLoire 2010-09-02 20:27:33
Link | Quote | Reply

EtienneLoire said:

Death is just something you don't wake up from. Hence, there's no where to go. Except 6 feet under, if you elect burial, a crematory if you elect cremation or decomposition if you elect to be left there.

will I turn into mako energy and return to the planet, or into dark matter?

Then wake up in another solar system out of another being womb saying "De ja vu, have I done this before"?

This is how I always felt when born, no lying. I can remember stuff around when I was not even one yet, and I always felt weird.

Could that be what is called reincarnation?
By Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury 2010-09-02 20:27:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Saiii said:
Saiii said:
Phoenix.Darki said:

Saiii said:

That any "proof" and I use that word loosely here, that a believer can give for "God" is simply rejected as not being good enough.

Is it not the perfect way to reveal oneself though? Through subjective experience. In this way, you would be able to "prove" yourself 100% to one person with out hindering the free will of anyone else.

As I said before, the only proof you're able to bring to the table is a sentence.

If you were to tell me prove milk exists.

I would drive to the grocery store, pick up a gallon, bring it back to you, open it, pour a cup, and set it on front of you.

If you were to tell me prove god exists.

I would sit there and wonder where you get that awesome ***you're smoking.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-09-02 20:28:36
Link | Quote | Reply

EtienneLoire said:
EtienneLoire said:

will I turn into mako energy and return to the planet, or into dark matter?

Then wake up in another solar system out of another being womb saying "De ja vu, have I done this before"?

This is how I always felt when born, no lying. I can remember stuff around when I was not even one yet, and I always felt weird.

Could that be what is called reincarnation?

I believe the term is schizophrenia.

I'm not even trolling here, whoever said that would get the exact same response.
By Randomguy 2010-09-02 20:29:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Saiii said:
Saiii said:
Phoenix.Darki said:

Saiii said:

As I said before, the only proof you're able to bring to the table is a sentence.

If you were to tell me prove milk exists.

I would drive to the grocery store, pick up a gallon, bring it back to you, open it, pour a cup, and set it on front of you.

If you were to tell me prove god exists.

I would sit there and wonder where you get that awesome ***you're smoking.
That's why they say "Prove God doesn't exist"
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 ... 38 39 40