Beta Impressions: What Do You Think Of FFXIV?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXIV » General » Beta Impressions: What do you think of FFXIV?
Beta Impressions: What do you think of FFXIV?
 Ramuh.Tousou
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: Toufu
By Ramuh.Tousou 2010-09-02 19:24:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
System Name TAQUITO
System Manufacturer SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD.
System Model R780/R778
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 430 @ 2.27GHz, 2267 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

I don't know the differences and benefits of Nvidia v ATI. I just happen to buy whatever sounds good(in this case it was cheap) and end up with Nvidia.
 Bismarck.Patrik
Server: Bismarck
user: Patrik
By Bismarck.Patrik 2010-09-02 19:31:38
Link | Quote | Reply

to all the people that are concerned about this game being ready for the release, as far as server congestion and such goes, i wouldn't be so concerned. in alpha it started the same, it took only a couple more tests for it to be fixed. when beta hit 24/7 it was also a problem at first, after about 2 days and an update, there was nearly no problem with congestion. SE is more on top of things than you'd think with this (speaking only from what i've seen obviously) but remember this may be open beta, but its still a test to them.

this open beta seems like it will be their biggest stress test, and from seeing how quickly they've resolved these problems in the past, i'm sure that much will be ready by release. idk what its like in open beta now (cant get key yet) but UI lag is really the only thing i'm concerned about..

but mainly saying, to those new to this beta, you'd be surprised at how fast SE can fix these major problems, as far as bugs and graphics go this game has gone a VERY long way since alpha started
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-09-02 22:36:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Halloween said:
i love how they've added the option to change keyboard settings, but they locked the set of keys everyone has been asking them to switch out (the arrow keys).

I was unable to change any keys at all.
 Bismarck.Patrik
Server: Bismarck
user: Patrik
By Bismarck.Patrik 2010-09-02 23:19:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Halloween said:
i love how they've added the option to change keyboard settings, but they locked the set of keys everyone has been asking them to switch out (the arrow keys).
during the closed beta SE marked the arrow key camera as a problem they planned to fix, so... for whatever reason the arrow keys can't control the camera, but SE intends to change that, if the forums are the same as they were, its under the known issues thread
 Siren.Clinpachi
Server: Siren
user: Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-09-02 23:45:35
Link | Quote | Reply

You know.... I've played this now for about 24 hours... level/rank 7.... and i honestly don't think i like this game very much.

It was pretty fun, new, and shiny at first... but now i'm just burned out and feeling blah about this.... Same move names... same races and classes just renamed.. same crafts... same mobs for the most part...

UGH...

....I know its a beta... but this ***is pretty buggy/horrible for supposedly being released in 2 weeks~.

>_< I feel like i hyped myself up and was let down.
 Lakshmi.Ricco
Server: Lakshmi
user: Ricco
By Lakshmi.Ricco 2010-09-02 23:55:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Clinpachi said:
You know.... I've played this now for about 24 hours... level/rank 7.... and i honestly don't think i like this game very much.

It was pretty fun, new, and shiny at first... but now i'm just burned out and feeling blah about this.... Same move names... same races and classes just renamed.. same crafts... same mobs for the most part...

UGH...

....I know its a beta... but this ***is pretty buggy/horrible for supposedly being released in 2 weeks~.

yeah I've been in the beta since july 13th and was up to lvl 17 then my lancer got deleted made a new character but i just dont feel like doing the bs over again its fun at first but does get boring really quickly. The battle system and clunky UI just do it in for me at least when I auto attack in 11 i can chat it up til i get tp unlike 14 where i get to press 1 2 3 4 and so on over and over. Pretty graphics can only do so much as we know from XIII.
 Siren.Clinpachi
Server: Siren
user: Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-09-03 00:32:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Glad to see I'm not the only one... i mean the game looks great... it's a cool novelty for awhile but I'm just completely burned out already.

This is completely ignoring the fact the servers blow up at the slightest change in the wind lol... and getting a beta key last night for me and my wife was beyond fun /endsarcasm >_>.

Unless my wife plays while I'm gone at boot camp, and discovers some crazy stuff that makes a difference i think i'll just return to FFXI later on >_<....

We shall see. I'm easily willing to give it more of a chance.
 Lakshmi.Ricco
Server: Lakshmi
user: Ricco
By Lakshmi.Ricco 2010-09-03 01:20:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Clinpachi said:
Glad to see I'm not the only one... i mean the game looks great... it's a cool novelty for awhile but I'm just completely burned out already.

This is completely ignoring the fact the servers blow up at the slightest change in the wind lol... and getting a beta key last night for me and my wife was beyond fun /endsarcasm >_>.

Unless my wife plays while I'm gone at boot camp, and discovers some crazy stuff that makes a difference i think i'll just return to FFXI later on >_<....

haha you shoulda seen it before beta went 24/7 I would log on maybe 45 min tops on a few of the days then servers would shut down lol :(
I almost hope this game flops would secure FFXI for a good while longer lol. I've seen so many people quit who are doing so for this game >.< just hope everyone doesn't make a habit of this!
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-09-03 01:42:12
Link | Quote | Reply

So far I'm liking it, but I keep hitting Memory leak issues at sporadic, but all-too-often intervals that force me to restart.

Combat and character development so far are leaps and bounds above FFXI, I'm glad there's no auto-attack, and I love the fact that you can use weapon skills more often than maybe once per fight as in FFXI (though most of the weapon skills aren't particularly strong)

UI isn't as bad as people made it out to be, at least in terms of setup and functionality, the lag is horrid, but I'm pretty sure that's an issue with the fact it's all run Server-side.

Right now, my biggest issue is economy. There's virtually no options for anyone to get new equipment outside of quests or sucking some crafter ***.

All that said, it still doesn't seem ready for that Sept.22nd release, but it's far from being a non-viable product.

In comparison to FFXI, I'd say gameplay wise, FFXIV is much better, but it has many other issues outside of the systems that the game is build around, that bring the experience down. If these can be fixed in 2 weeks... I doubt it, but I still intend to buy.

Even with a lulzy system, the game runs admirably, when it's not leaking memory like an Alzheimer's patient.
 Valefor.Brocklee
Server: Valefor
user: brocklee
By Valefor.Brocklee 2010-09-03 02:17:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I've only played for a few hrs and I'm having a little bit of trouble figuring it out I have done no quests and the only leve I did had the server crash and now I can't redo it.

The mob count is real low too, not enough for me to go out and grind on.
 Odin.Yakoo
Server: Odin
user: Yakoo
By Odin.Yakoo 2010-09-03 02:20:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Brocklee said:
I've only played for a few hrs and I'm having a little bit of trouble figuring it out I have done no quests and the only leve I did had the server crash and now I can't redo it.

The mob count is real low too, not enough for me to go out and grind on.

Well there are many mobs, but they always get killed by other players :)
 Garuda.Ivinora
Server: Garuda
user: Ivinora
By Garuda.Ivinora 2010-09-03 03:15:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Ricco said:
Siren.Clinpachi said:

haha you shoulda seen it before beta went 24/7 I would log on maybe 45 min tops on a few of the days then servers would shut down lol :(
I almost hope this game flops would secure FFXI for a good while longer lol. I've seen so many people quit who are doing so for this game >.< just hope everyone doesn't make a habit of this!

^^ This is why i came back to FFXI myself, My hubby is still gonna play both but i'm gonna stay on FFXI untill i see XIV making some progress, we played the beta together and even then i just got bored after 4hours and after that i didn't really feel like playing alot nomore, Actually if it stays the same as it is now in the beta, I really believe alot of players will come back after a few months, but it's still way to early to say that so guess we'll have to wait and see
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-09-03 03:22:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Clinpachi said:

UGH...

Kinda the reason I figured I'm just gonna stay with 11 lol
 Fenrir.Stiklelf
Server: Fenrir
user: stikle
By Fenrir.Stiklelf 2010-09-03 03:31:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm having fun with it, but then again I've had fun with free to play MMOs. I just need to play a bit longer to see if I'll get burnt out fast or not.

Also, I've always loved leveling in any game, so I doubt it will burn me out.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-09-03 03:50:37
Link | Quote | Reply

From XI I had this "need to play more!" urge.
XIV havent managed to do that to me yet.
Even WoW did that!
Hell, even Phantasy Star Online!
 Fenrir.Stiklelf
user: stikle
By Fenrir.Stiklelf 2010-09-03 03:52:13
Link | Quote | Reply

XIV gives me the need to play more already lol.
 Valefor.Shaone
user: Shaone
By Valefor.Shaone 2010-09-03 04:23:55
Link | Quote | Reply

<3 FFXIV. It's been a great journey since the first alpha and seeing it all come together over the months has been a great experience.

And yes, it does feel alot like FFXI+1 but I'm fine with that. But I came late to the game on FFXI (just before WotG) and having the chance to be there from day one on a FF MMO is a great bonus for me.

I do have to turn the graphics down a little to run smoothly but it's great knowing that there is so much room for a better visual experience later on. The game itself stands alone without the graphics for me, so running on low settings for now is not a problem.

I also love the lack of auto-attack :p I'm usually on BLM, so used to constantly hitting macros and watching timers, and I'm sort of glad that people will have to have the same level of concentration across the board now.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Dissonant
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Dissonant 2010-09-03 07:31:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Just a quick question, is there a "macro" type feature in XIV yet? Like, are you able to change your gear on the fly or do you have to go through to your equipment menu and all that?
 Phoenix.Airbag
Server: Phoenix
user: Caliber
By Phoenix.Airbag 2010-09-03 07:37:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
I'm glad there isn't an auto-attack. DD can't slack off any more.

so where the auto attack bots at flion

I know you have one
By Zekko 2010-09-03 08:18:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Clinpachi said:

Indeed there's a lot missing content-wise. I know it's only a beta but i dont want to be grinding for 5hours a day D:
 Shiva.Superdan
user: SuperDan
By Shiva.Superdan 2010-09-03 08:37:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Not got the game running yet, but with the complaints about battle system..

I'm guessing they don't let you 'stack' commands? If they did, I'd have np with no auto-attack.

Edit: Okay I'm gunna get my /Rant on.

All I see is people bitching. I personally haven't played yet, so I can't know but.. I think people are being way too over-judgemental. If I threw FFXI at you for the first time, and told you to go kill ***in Gusty as a Lv1 with an onion dagger, would ya be having a ridiculous amount of fun? No. The game gets more fun as you get higher up. It is this way with practically all MMOs in existance. Judging a game while you're Lv5 (And in beta, for that matter) is just stupid. Of course abilities are going to suck. Of course you have few spells. Of course the battle system isn't perfect. This game isn't complete & you're in the very begining of the game. In referance to FFXI again.. If you were off levelling lowbie war, you got what.. Auto attack & provoke. Fun Fun. SE will aboviously make advancements of the game interface and try to fix the things everyone is complaining about. As much as we bad-mouth SE, they are not a terrible company. I'm personally considering not entering the game for a few months right now (Maybe after I buy a new system, too) because of these problems. I have no qualms not being the 'first' people on the servers. Hell, I joined FFXI 7-8 years after release <_<
 Asura.Lanryu
Server: Asura
user: Lanryu
By Asura.Lanryu 2010-09-03 08:38:06
Link | Quote | Reply

The game was fun for the first 3 hours then got a bit boring. Going to give it a little longer before I decide if I like it or not. Anyone expecting to play this and get the "new feeling" they had when they started XI back will be kind of disappointed. Its not coming back. lol At least its that way for me~
 Valefor.Shaone
By Valefor.Shaone 2010-09-03 08:50:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Halloween said:
what about having any form of interaction during battle? You can't even talk to your party just to get to know each other or to adjust strategies without losing a few swings. I do see that as a problem, because I enjoyed chatting during an xp party in ffxi.
Losing a few swings isn't really a problem though, due to stamina bar.
 Leviathan.Yokhai
Server: Leviathan
user: Yokhai
By Leviathan.Yokhai 2010-09-03 08:50:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Zekko said:
Yeah things havent really changed since the closed beta. My only problem atm is that it's too damn boring after around 3 hours of playing...Maybe that's why they made surplus. Idk there's a shortage of Quests and the only reason im forced to grind is because of running out of leves

you do realize you are playing a beta....don't just grind out levels, go try to break something, try to terrain clip while kiting a mob, try to see if mobs link across family lines. Don't just level and try to play like you would the launch title.

I love beta's because you get first glimpse into how they coded the game and what exploits/bugs there are. The worst thing you can do is compare this to XI. XI has well over 7 years invested into making it one of the best MMO's on the market, this thing just started. Yeah there is no content, its gonna be boring if you try to play it like XI. You are still beta testers, not customers.

BREAK ***!!!!(and report it.)
[+]
 Fenrir.Xeonerable
By Fenrir.Xeonerable 2010-09-03 08:55:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Be free non-paid game testers for a glimpse at what the game is turning out to be :P lol

well its gotta be similar to XI to lure XI players to move to XIV.. lol

A completely entirely different style of game would be really risky lol. Plus updated graphics are ALWAYS welcome. :3
 Shiva.Superdan
user: SuperDan
By Shiva.Superdan 2010-09-03 08:57:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Shaone said:
Asura.Halloween said:
what about having any form of interaction during battle? You can't even talk to your party just to get to know each other or to adjust strategies without losing a few swings. I do see that as a problem, because I enjoyed chatting during an xp party in ffxi.
Losing a few swings isn't really a problem though, due to stamina bar.

Don't let the mathmegicians hear you say that. they'll burn your *** with numbers showing how you suck for losing ~0.6% dps.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-09-03 09:00:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I'm onto day 2 now... and I don't know what to to do... Not that that's a bad thing, but I'm utterly perplexed as to what I should do next... I mean I've got to about level 6ish but mobs go from way too easy to doing 2900 to me lol.

Would it be viable for me to go to another town at this level?
 Valefor.Shaone
By Valefor.Shaone 2010-09-03 09:17:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Superdan said:

Don't let the mathmegicians hear you say that. they'll burn your *** with numbers showing how you suck for losing ~0.6% dps.
Well the other option is to chain 5 commands together with /wait between in a macro. But then if your stamina bar starts running low that'll affect the wait delay you need between actions... so maybe a healthy mix of the two would be the answer.