Recent Bannings Make You Paranoid?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Recent bannings make you paranoid?
Recent bannings make you paranoid?
 Asura.Korpg
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-01-25 18:01:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Crezelda said:
i guess if all else fails a GM will peep in my inventory, and realise Ebisu + 50 mil in currency != rmt, just = someone with OCD ( i actually have that, it prolly helps with the day in, day out work XD) You know you need help when you have no life in FFXI... the game where people with no lives go to live out thier dreams...

dreams of killing Turtles?

User submitted image
 Ragnarok.Psyence
Server: Ragnarok
user: Psyence
By Ragnarok.Psyence 2009-01-25 18:10:04
Link | Quote | Reply

it seems we haven't evolved much from a few decades ago! now in the world of MMORPGs, Real Money Trader is the new word for COMMUNIST (for the younger ones, communist is a different kind of government, search it in google, but at some point during the cold war, it used to be what you would get called for doing pretty much anything wrong/fishy, even starting a syndicate at work, up to a point most people didn't really understand what it meant and called you that when they had no other insults left to think about) like in the real world, we're usualy just all paranoid because we're made to be, and SE/the government think its fine, because our mental health is less important than our actual behavior :)

dunno if this made sense
Server: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-01-25 18:10:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg: I lol'd ^^
 Pandemonium.Maxx
Server: Pandemonium
user: Maxx
By Pandemonium.Maxx 2009-01-25 18:13:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Psyence said:
it seems we haven't evolved much from a few decades ago! now in the world of MMORPGs, Real Money Trader is the new word for COMMUNIST (for the younger ones, communist is a different kind of government, search it in google, but at some point during the cold war, it used to be what you would get called for doing pretty much anything wrong/fishy, even starting a syndicate at work, up to a point most people didn't really understand what it meant and called you that when they had no other insults left to think about) this kind of paranoia was government caused by massive propaganda in several countries, in the history books its now called "Macarthysm" or whatever its spelled, recently it was done to justify the war in Irak, people were shown envelopes with anthax in it and made to believe that the whole country was getting attacked while it was really a fe isolated cases, we're just are paranoid because we're made to be, and SE thinks its fine, because our mental health is less important than our actual behavior :)

dunno if this made sense

Are you implying we should refer to this as another Red Scare?

That's brilliant, I like you.
 Ragnarok.Psyence
Server: Ragnarok
user: Psyence
By Ragnarok.Psyence 2009-01-25 18:16:52
Link | Quote | Reply

its obviously an example SE wants to show so we don't do it, but doing this also make everyone scared of being caught doing something else, and re-question our behavior

for some people this can cause some sort of "paranoia" even though of course we're not referring to the mental illness :)

like politics, the RMT being wrong is just a way to see life that we're imposed because it screws the game balance that SE is trying so hard to maintain

it could be otherwise but do we really want to try if the actual system works

btw, i edited my message a bit, but too late ^^ i thought it might get too political and annoy some

oh well hehe
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-01-25 18:27:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I definitely think the harshness of the recent bannings was of the "let's make an example of these guys" variety. I mean, look at the impact this has made on the game just on a social level, and the side effects (this thread is a perfect example).

All in all, most people are going to think damn hard about doing ANYTHING that can be construed as against the ToS, at least until things calm down again, and when it gets to the point that a lot people get cocky and think "they're never gonna find out" when the next exploit comes to light (bound to happen eventually) then another wave of bannings will occur and the process will repeat. The RMT bannings don't really effect normal players outside of the obvious benefits (gil BUYER's sure as ***aren't hunted down as enthusiastically as gil SELLERS, although I'd LMFAO if that happened), but ban a ***ton of veterans leading big endgame LS's...THAT's gonna make people think twice. I bet a LOT of people are studying up on the ToS like it's a freaking Math Final right now lol...

Anyways, non-cheaters should have nothing to worry about, I would think that GM's could at least see the difference between the guy making a quick buck here or there versus the guy that's manipulating the AH or fishbotting. Out of curiosity, IS THERE some way to appeal a temp ban or something? Like calling another GM or asking for a supervisor?
 Pandemonium.Crezelda
Server: Pandemonium
user: Crezelda
By Pandemonium.Crezelda 2009-01-25 19:29:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I say they shuld post peoples names publically if theyre caught gil buying. nothing like a little public humiliation.

what im saying is, what about things people do every day? Like endless dbox loops ( all you cooks know what i mean), bringing a lv 1 on a MMM farming run, doing the mog house teleport trick so you dont have to warp your arse back, or even silly things like how ps2 players like me can wedge into this one corner in windy waters and end up in the moat and have fun...

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-01-25 19:53:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Crezelda said:
I say they shuld post peoples names publically if theyre caught gil buying. nothing like a little public humiliation.

I concur!
 Kujata.Malicfayt
Server: Kujata
user: Malicfayt
By Kujata.Malicfayt 2009-01-25 20:48:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Whats an endless dbox loop? I'm a cook and i don't know what that is >_>;. Sending stuff to my own Dbox? I can't see whats wrong with that, so there must be more too it...
 Alexander.Nepharite
Server: Alexander
user: nepharite
By Alexander.Nepharite 2009-01-25 21:14:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Malicfayt said:
Whats an endless dbox loop? I'm a cook and i don't know what that is >_>;. Sending stuff to my own Dbox? I can't see whats wrong with that, so there must be more too it...

Endless D.box loop would be sending yourself stuff, then when you go to your d.box in your moghouse, you hit return to sender on the item you sent yourself. This will cause the item to be put all the way on the back of the list of items waiting to be sent to you. There is a limit of how many items you can store this way, but its a really high number and its a pain to sort through your d.box if you do this.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-01-25 21:20:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Crezelda said:
I say they shuld post peoples names publically if theyre caught gil buying. nothing like a little public humiliation. what im saying is, what about things people do every day? Like endless dbox loops ( all you cooks know what i mean), bringing a lv 1 on a MMM farming run, doing the mog house teleport trick so you dont have to warp your arse back, or even silly things like how ps2 players like me can wedge into this one corner in windy waters and end up in the moat and have fun...

I'm a cook, and I have no clue as to your meaning of the "endless dbox loops"

Is it sending stuff to yourself, only to take it out at a later date? I don't know how thats an "endless dbox loop" though.

Bringing a level 1 to a MMM farming run is basically that.....a FARMING run.

No clue as to the teleport moghouse trick. Could be a Pandy only glitch.

Glitch where people end up in spots not intended to be at, well, it is not really a glitch that people like to brag about. Sometimes those glitches can kill a person (in Sac, while doing 4-3, somebody accidently got caught in the waterpool next to a taur, and when the taur turned, he died in that same pool of water, we had to call a GM to fish that dead body out of the water).

Anyway, I'm all for the public humiliation thing. That way, I get to blacklist them forever for being a gilbuyer.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-01-25 21:22:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Nepharite said:
Endless D.box loop would be sending yourself stuff, then when you go to your d.box in your moghouse, you hit return to sender on the item you sent yourself. This will cause the item to be put all the way on the back of the list of items waiting to be sent to you. There is a limit of how many items you can store this way, but its a really high number and its a pain to sort through your d.box if you do this.

Meh, I never knew you could return to sender stuff, I always just take it and send it back if I don't want it.
 Alexander.Nepharite
Server: Alexander
user: nepharite
By Alexander.Nepharite 2009-01-25 21:26:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg said:

The only thing I can think of about this trick is that people zone back into their mh when they tele someone. If you time it right and zone at the end of the cast, everyone in your pt near you gets the tele, but you end up in your mh. This only saves travel time for the person casting the tele.
 Kujata.Malicfayt
Server: Kujata
user: Malicfayt
By Kujata.Malicfayt 2009-01-26 08:31:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I had no idea you could return to sender >_< haha, cool~ Thank you for explaining it to me.
 Fairy.Tbest
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-01-26 09:39:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah... I do the return to sender bit. I must have like 80-100+ items in there. None of my really expensive pieces though just in case they wipe the dboxes for some reason... >.>
Thing of it is, I have well over 100 rare/ex items that I can't store at the NPC's. Things like a 4/5 AF set b/c I made one of them a +1 and haven't gotten the items to make the rest +1, Avatar weapons, various rare/ex NM drops, etc. that are all clogging my MH/Storage/Locker. >.<
 Asura.Farmdog
user: Farmdog
By Asura.Farmdog 2009-01-26 10:36:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Nepharite said:
Korpg said:
The only thing I can think of about this trick is that people zone back into their mh when they tele someone. If you time it right and zone at the end of the cast, everyone in your pt near you gets the tele, but you end up in your mh. This only saves travel time for the person casting the tele.

Yes as you're casting spell you zone just before it activates and the rest of your party teles without you. It would be a nice trick if your HP is somewhere else. Also works when using escape for times when theres only 1 BLM and you have more than 5 other people that want to escape. Just do this trick then invite the remaining players who need your services. As far as I'm concerned there is nothing wrong with doing this or using the Dbox loop. It's just part of the game mechanics so take advantage of it, or just make more mules to store all your stuff.